How fast did you go on public roads?
(228 posts, closed, started )
LOL - P plates will have no effect. "L" plates just make drivers automatically overtake you (even if your going too fast in the first place).

It's not tailgating I don't like - rather people who just whack past you without looking and then pull in sharpish when something comes in the other way.

I have exactly 0 faith in any other driver on the road being able to drive to a reasonable standard after seeing some of the morons where I live...
I've only been overtaken once in a 30 zone, and that was by a taxi driver which says it all.

Today, I thought I'd go on a ride after work, so instead of the 4 mile commute home, I took the 35 mile route through Basingstoke, into Reading and back along the A4.

There's a dual carridgeway going up a hill, I was doing about 85 as I was pulling past some slower cars. Ahead of me was a Dark Blue Ford Focus. It was behind another car, which in turn was overtaking this Vauxhall Corsa.

The dual carridgeway ended and the lanes went to go back into Single Carridgeway. The Focus couldn't make the gap because they're slow and horrible, but decided he wouldn't brake. He was alongside the Corsa as they came to the big pole with the Blue <- arrow on it. The Corsa had to swerve and brake. At the next set of lights I pulled up to him and just started at him. It's funny, doing that. They look at you, look away, then look using thier eyes to see if you're still watching. Har har har.
Quote from Jakg :If you've seen some of the speed limits in the UK you'd understand - there are some 60's where I do 30 and vice versa - some are utterly silly...

My post was merely in jest. But I get your point. Been in the UK often and I know what you mean with some weird speed limits
-
((SaM)) DELETED by (SaM)
240km/h (150mph) in a Ferrari 328 GTB on the German Autobahn. I wasn't driving though.

*points finger at anyone boasting about top speed anywhere else*
190kmh in a 1982 TF gemini, wild cam, suspension, lots of rust, valve bouncing @ 7800rpm

170kmh in a 1987 AE82 corolla, suspension, lightly worked engine, out of gears@ 170, 6000rpm

170kmh in a 1996 falcon, standard (was limited at 180, i was overtaking a triple and didn't see how quick i was going till i was past him)

the mr2 i haven't bothered with, highest it's seen is 150kmh, but its pretty gutless, motor is old. That and the laws are stricter here now lol

Plus i'm more interested in twisty stuff, topend the v8 boys can have

EDIT: I've had more speeding fines than i can count on fingers and toes, been arrested for dangerous driving, etc etc, 4 licence suspensions on points by the time i was 21 (i'm now 26, and have settled down a bit.)

Unless you're on a road without speed limits, a race track, and you know your cars handling inside out, don't do it, i came real close to doing jail time, and STILL can't get comprehensive insurance (for any less than the purchase price of a replacement car)
mhhh... 200km/h opel vectra - autobahn obviously and not me driving.
Fastest I've been in a car as a passenger... 130mph in a Vauxhall Astra Automatic along the A130

Fastest I've driven a car, 80mph on the A133 on a driving lesson
Quote from Xaid0n :Fastest I've driven a car, 80mph on the A133 on a driving lesson

Oh lol, I'm not gonna drive for a long time - thanks to the statistics.
lol I didn't keep that speed, was overtaking a car at the time, once I passed him I slowed to 70mph lol... I passed my test btw :P Just haven't got a car
Quote from Xaid0n :lol I didn't keep that speed, was overtaking a car at the time, once I passed him I slowed to 70mph lol... I passed my test btw :P Just haven't got a car

:-) Oh right... well I could get license but there's no real point if I ain't gonna buy a car 'cause the insurance is simply ridiculous
Passenger seat I guess.

Btw, why that mph?
Quote from SilverArrows77 :Im sorry but this thread is F'ing pathetic...

View the scene below and picture it with your Mum, Dad, Brother, Sister, Son or Daughter etc (or yourself) in the vehicle and then tell me speeding on public roads is still cool....thats what the raceclubs/tracks are for ffs

The driver and sole occupant of the car survived that crash...
Quote from pb32000 :The driver and sole occupant of the car survived that crash...

Did they also enjoy the crash and express a desire to do it again?
Quote from thisnameistaken :Did they also enjoy the crash and express a desire to do it again?

They were in an Audi. And everyone knows Audi drivers are weird bunch. Especially female drivers- If she's driving an Audi, you can be sure she's into S/M n' shit.
Quote from Thunderhead :They were in an Audi. And everyone knows Audi drivers are weird bunch. Especially female drivers- If she's driving an Audi, you can be sure she's into S/M n' shit.

Mine was a company car, does that excuse me or shall I just go oil the rubber wear...
Quote from Becky Rose :Mine was a company car, does that excuse me or shall I just go oil the rubber wear...

That excuses you.
I really need to buy a camera. and I saw a wreck just like that audi. He was racing and slid sideways into the end of a guard rail. Killed him and his 3 drunk friends. I can't remember the car though.

To be honest on highways i've never gone over 125 mph car would do 150 probably. Things start moving faster than I want them too.

I was in a car that went ripping through heavy traffic on streets at 80-90mph it was a lotus elise. Wasn't me driving though.
Just to note because it seems that people just assume....

Driving fast does not equal racing
and driving fast on a road does not equal driving fast on a road in the city or traffic.

Just wanted to point that all out.
Quote from SilverArrows77 :Im sorry but this thread is F'ing pathetic...

View the scene below and picture it with your Mum, Dad, Brother, Sister, Son or Daughter etc (or yourself) in the vehicle and then tell me speeding on public roads is still cool....thats what the raceclubs/tracks are for ffs

That crash wasn't caused by speeding - that was caused by ice (or oil - something slippery was on the road).
i hesitate to believe a mess like that can be caused by hitting a stationary object at legal speeds.
The stationary object was a tree, which just tore the car in half - iirc they weren't going that fast.

Modern cars "look" a lot worse than older cars thanks to crumple zones.
Quote from Takumi_lfs :Passenger seat I guess.

Btw, why that mph?

yes and eh its a Jeep and thats american so it also shows mph.
"crumple zones"?!
the frame has been freaking torn apart! i guess that can barely count as crumple zone, can it?
This thread is closed

How fast did you go on public roads?
(228 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG