The online racing simulator
Car went for a swim...
(21 posts, started )
#1 - TiJay
Car went for a swim...
I have a nice newbie question for everyone!

I drive a FWD Ford Puma. On my way to uni last week, I tried going through a ford in a small village and, embarassingly, got stuck halfway (my fault for doing it wrong!). The water came up to front lip but was well below the exhaust. I pushed the car out, the AA got it started and it's been running fine since.

However, the rear footwells seem to have collected some water (I'd guess upto a couple of cms high). I've put some newspaper down and plan to attack it with a hairdryer then hope it dries up eventually.

What I was wondering is if the water in the footwells will cause any structural damage to the car underneath, and what runs between the front and rear wheels (apart from the exhaust) that might get damaged and become a real problem if the water seeps through?

Thanks in advance
Mostly you'll probably have corroding of the bodywork/frame and a bad smell in your carpet.
#3 - TiJay
Thanks, will the corrosion cause any immediate problems in the next year and a half?
I doubt your car will fall apart in the next weeks but I wouldnt take a chance. Try to dry as much as you can.
Won't do anything, just get it valeted or if you have a gargage get a small heater to put into it and leave for a few hours. The only problems you get with cars that are flooded is generally eletrical and engine problems, these generally are only happen to cars where the water has come over the sill, just depends where your electrics are i guess, it certainley wont corrode anything, thats just stupid.
How do you think 4x4s fair in practically completely submerging in water crossings? Water isn't going to hurt anything as far as the frame/sheetmetal.

Of course, they are all specially built to protect electrical components and the engine for this, but the principle of the body/frame getting wet is the same... The carpet will indeed really stink. You may want to remove it completely and have it cleaned. Wet carpet stink is not something I would want to live with driving every day.
Just do what the Top Gear lads did in Africa when they did a river crossing. Hire a Botswanan lad with a rifle, and Bob's yer uncle
get her valeted ?

maybe don't be Rambo'ing in your puma next time ?
Quote from TiJay :However, the rear footwells seem to have collected some water

Drill a hole in the floor, the water will come out
Go to a petrol station and use the hoover lol. You will break it but it will suck the water out.
#12 - CSU1
Quote from theirishnoob :get her valeted ?

maybe don't be Rambo'ing in your puma next time ?

+1, those guy's have wet/dry vacuums that would sort it out...
Thanks guys, I'll try and dry the carpets out quickly and get it valeted.

I'm glad it won't corrode the frame and fall apart though... And I'm staying away from water from now.
Quote from TiJay :Thanks guys, I'll try and dry the carpets out quickly and get it valeted.

I'm glad it won't corrode the frame and fall apart though... And I'm staying away from water from now.

That would be a plan
Quote from TiJay :Thanks guys, I'll try and dry the carpets out quickly and get it valeted.

it wont as long as water isnt trapped anyware, it is why alot of land rovers end up in such a rusty mess, after ever dunking in water make sure the car is dry in all the places that seem suseptable to collecting water and any mud and crap that has collected is cleaned out, as long as thats done it will be fine

id be more worried that its 1) a ford and 2) it was snowing so the salt grit rusts the life out of your car.
true about the salt, i know a guy who restore an old land rover who after every drive in winter would jet was the whole car, underside especialy and then put it in his garage wich he heated to dry the water and had a dehumidifier in there lol, his whole garage was like one of those car bubble things lol
Came up behind one of those grit hopper trucks last Wednesday night on the motorway, bastard lifted paint on my bonnet with em
As one who drives in Pennsylvania in the US where for 5 months out of the year we drive completely on salt, I don't think that you need to worry about what little salt (if any) you guys put down on your roads for clearing the snow covered roads.

Sure it eats the metal of our cars, but that is after years and years and years of salted roads for 5 months each year. Not from one little snow dusting that you guys have gotten recently.
when you live near the sea its a Major worry, though snow doesnt normally stick, and with the state of my current banger...

i done my best to avoid any such trucks and enjoyed watching people unable to break at 70 mph in the snow....

ive a sick sense of humor i know but the sheer shock and horror just makes me rofl as they ride the cluth and gently brake saying their seemingly last prayers...

but salt grit Plus salty sea water near your presious banger...

not a good combo...
lool yh with a normal car maybe but land rovers will turn to a pile of rust at a slight sight of salt lol

Car went for a swim...
(21 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG