The online racing simulator
How fast did you go on public roads?
(228 posts, closed, started )
ever0body has a straight on moment in a car on a wet roundabout, its just a learning process, moral of the story is to stop chucking it into roundabiouts in a completely normal family car like its a race car.

worst i had was major lift off oversteer after going round a corner on a backroad at about 70, spotting a big 4x4 doing about 30 ahead of me and having to take major evasive action, was fairly proud of myself that i caught it. i have to say, although it sounds ridiculous, if i had never driven on here with my wheel before, i probably wouldnt have had a clue what to do and either counter steered either too little or too much.
220km/h with Lexus IS-F. But i was passenger only. Before it i drove with IS-F on circuit. I'm still in love with this car !
Quote from DeKo :... i probably wouldnt have had a clue what to do and either counter steered either too little or too much.

Have to agree! I had two major events including oversteer and I managed to save myself from it. I'm not sure, but propably without LFS and G25 I propably wouldn't know what the hell should I do, and I would slam the brakes. One was in the snow at 50... damn... triple oversteer from one side to another and back . Jakg is right in some way... if You are one of the people who panic and simply freeze... then "experience" won't help You... but if You are one of those who act, then You might be able to catch the slide(because some experience(at least thx to LFS we know the physics of the car ) is better that none).
I honestly don't see how playing LFS helps really. It doesn't teach you how your car reacts to sliding etc, only experience will. I reckon after about 3 years of driving my car I'm pretty confident of it's abilities and limitations, but LFS hasn't taught me that.
Quote from pb32000 :I honestly don't see how playing LFS helps really. It doesn't teach you how your car reacts to sliding etc, only experience will. I reckon after about 3 years of driving my car I'm pretty confident of it's abilities and limitations, but LFS hasn't taught me that.

If people belive they can play a game on the computer and belive they can race in real life..they deserve to be shot dead.
Sims help to a certain degree though. They can help with spatial awareness and things like how the car behaves under certain conditions - like what can happen under high-speed heavy braking. It's obviously not perfect, but it's better than nothing.

I've also found recently that it helps motorway driving and anticipating other driver's movements. You're all going the same direction at high speed, so that much is similar to a race. You can all see when the corners and junctions are coming up, just like track racing (ie there's no tiny side roads for random people to duck into without warning). I've found myself instinctively reacting to what other drivers are about to do and then being proved right.
Since I've not even been driving a month yet, that instinct can only be down to my experience elsewhere
LFS teaches basics of car behaviour and what You should do in certain conditions, that's all. In RL there are other factors which are quiet important(the element of suprise, fear, emotions, g'forces and much much more[oh... and tyre physics are better in RL] ). Playing LFS is much much better that reading a book on how to behave in certain conditions, but still it is far away from RL.
22x km/h in a merc slk

Autobahn ftw
just a hint over 200km/h in France 2 years ago. Slightly downhill to compensate for the fully laden car..
Quote from pb32000 :I honestly don't see how playing LFS helps really. It doesn't teach you how your car reacts to sliding etc, only experience will. I reckon after about 3 years of driving my car I'm pretty confident of it's abilities and limitations, but LFS hasn't taught me that.

LFS does help when it comes to car control. Or maybe I just born to drive
Quote from The Very End :If people belive they can play a game on the computer and belive they can race in real life..they deserve to be shot dead.

I don't believe LFS is teaching me to be a world class racer, but I think it does give you some idea as to how cars are going to act. Last summer I rented a 125cc shifter kart while I was out of town for work and it was a real handful, but I never spun it once and was catching slides easily, even after I ignored the worker's advice to "take it easy" on the track. I wasn't even thinking about it really and the counter steering just came naturally, I don't think that's something I learned in my FWD street car.
Quote from UncleBenny :...and the counter steering just came naturally, I don't think that's something I learned in my FWD street car.

There's the key point in this off-topic topic of the thread. Countersteering does come naturally, without learning anything from LFS. It happens naturally with the physics of driving a RWD with front wheel steering of a car.

When I first drove RWD, there was no sim racing on a computer. I managed. I didn't learn it from the force feedback in LFS. I don't even know if Scawen was a coder back then, or if he was just like me, in school.

It comes naturally with oversteer and you will naturally follow it with your inputs of countersteering as well.

Similar thing with riding a motorcycle. You may not know you are countersteering to turn, but you are. It's the natural physics of riding on a motorcycle.
It may have something to do with they way the front suspension is set up, quite a lot of cars are set up with some Caster, which makes the wheels lean over in the opposite direction to the turn when the steering is turned, this helps with grip and stability in cornering, but it also causes a bit of a push in the countersteering direction through the steering wheel when the car slides.
30 mph down the hill on mine MTB.
cocks
Public roads I'm a grandpa driver, i do 5 over at the most usually the speed limit.

But I do track days all the time and last year during an autocross event an an airfield took a SM-240sx up to 145 on about half a runway (track was on other half)

Got my speed thrill filled for a while
Just did 60km/h on a snowmobile :P
I do 20 mph 32 km/H on my bicycle
155km/h on a one-car wide road. It was scary especially during winter with shitty tires.
130-140mph on a highway.

60mph on a residential road.

Both times I was the passenger.
67,000 miles per hour.
Can I just say... what a bunch of retards we've got here!? I wonder why we've got track days... ehm... to prevent innocent people from getting injured?
Quote from Electric Eye :Can I just say... what a bunch of retards we've got here!? I wonder why we've got track days... ehm... to prevent innocent people from getting injured?

We're all car enthusiasts here, and you'll have to be lying to say youve never pushed it on the road.
Quote from Klutch :We're all car enthusiasts here, and you'll have to be lying to say youve never pushed it on the road.

I guess not havin' driver's license is good enough evidence to prove that I haven't?
60-80mph today in a Lotus Exige, only did my first lesson last week so was suprised to find out the second time id ever driven a car would be something RWD, light and fast!
This thread is closed

How fast did you go on public roads?
(228 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG