The online racing simulator
Clutch Feature?
(56 posts, started )
#26 - senn
i can feel thru the pedal in mine (heavy duty pressure plate tho) but usually with harder compound clutch discs i personally have found u get more feeling thru the pedal *shrug*
Quote from S14 DRIFT :Yeah, our cars clutch overheats every time we go shopping and my bikes clutch overheats every time I commute to work. Super realistic.

but theres no bite in lfs nor is their in any car ive had in real ife... ( except for an xzara... Super tight cluth/gears )

never over heated though....
menantoll,
Yeah I meant bite-point in relation to force-feedback, that you don't feel it in the pedal. At least not in the cars I have driven, even not old cars. (from the 80's era).
#29 - zero
I guess that you can feel that "bite point" rather in G-forces than in pedal itself. That's why you can't feel it in LFS
Quote from zero :I guess that you can feel that "bite point" rather in G-forces than in pedal itself.

It's not so much the friction of the clutch you feel through the pedal, that's right... What you are feeling very well is the clutch spring that presses against your foot the more you let the clutch out... The new Mondeos have a quite strong spring, nearly everybody I've watched stalls the car when they first try it...
^ What he said
Quote from S14 DRIFT :MAGGOT it doesn't happen normally during races, but the fact remains it still overheats far to quickly.

Remember that these are racing clutches, not street clutches. They will act differently, and racing clutches are much, much easier to overheat.
#33 - GTM
Racing type clutchs have a really heavy snappy bite point, I'm used to driving my Capri (Cosworth Powerd) around, thats got a stage 2 clutch, when ever anyone asks to drive my car I allways let them because no one can pull off in it lol! they allways stall

I've seen on eBay a mod for the G25 for the brake pedal, its a small fluid filled cylinder and it acts like a real brake servo on a car. It wouldunt be hard to make something like that for the clutch pedal.
Quote from MAGGOT :Remember that these are racing clutches, not street clutches. They will act differently, and racing clutches are much, much easier to overheat.

Like in the XFG, XRT, FXO, etc. All the street cars..?
#35 - Woz
BTW: In some cars you CAN feel the bite point through the pedal. Depends on the car.

In the world of modern over damped and power assist everything cars all you feel through most of the controls is mush. You have to use G feel to tell you want is going on. Drive an old car like an Mini where you are directly connected to what you control and you will understand
I drive quite frequently an old car without hydraulic servo on the clutch, there's no feedback from the pedal regarding the bite point. It has that so called 'clutchy feeling' which e.g. the G25 clutch does not have, but the feedback comes through the driver's... back end Thus I don't really think a FFB clutch pedal would make any difference, a motion simulator might, though.

The clutch in LFS is far from perfect, it might not be one of the biggest troubles in the game but it should be improved sooner or later IMO.

That certainly shouldn't induce the OP not to try LFS, it's still supposed to have one of the better clutch simulations out there.
Quote from Woz :BTW: In some cars you CAN feel the bite point through the pedal. Depends on the car.

In the world of modern over damped and power assist everything cars all you feel through most of the controls is mush. You have to use G feel to tell you want is going on. Drive an old car like an Mini where you are directly connected to what you control and you will understand

'96 Fiesta here, the only assist I have is a brake booster, and I honestly believe what you describe is the clutch springs and the car moving/squatting (as the handbrake is still on)... If you'd feel the plates engage, the pedal would maybe vibrate (don't know if it'll be good for the material to get that sensation)... Remember that the force they exert is rotational - if any bit of that force would be transfered into the cabin the pedal would have to move sideways...
Quote from Woz :BTW: In some cars you CAN feel the bite point through the pedal. Depends on the car.

Being nearly 40 I have driven a fair few old cars with both cable and hydraulic clutch mechanisms, including many minis, and I don't remember feeling the clutch bite in the pedal but maybe my feet arn't as sensitive as yours. What exactly does it feel like?
#39 - zero
haven't driven a mini, but I haven't experienced any feedback in clutch pedal neither in my 1976 renault 4, nor any of newer cars I have owned/driven. Maybe just bad luck
Quote from G!NhO :Well there are some other sims with clutch feature, but they dont really have it as good as LFS :nol2:

and yes it sure is fun

there is iracing that is awesome

there is also the fanatec 911 gt3 which has clubsport pedals which look and sound amazing but the price is a lot for what is only a little bit better than the g25
Quote from brt900 :there is iracing that is awesome

there is also the fanatec 911 gt3 which has clubsport pedals which look and sound amazing but the price is a lot for what is only a little bit better than the g25

in iRacing you can shift without using the clutch so its stupid, same goes for rFactor and other ISI crap...
Quote from G!NhO :in iRacing you can shift without using the clutch

Correct, unless it has been fixed recently. I.e. you could shift with the clutch but it made no difference.
Quote from S14 DRIFT :Like in the XFG, XRT, FXO, etc. All the street cars..?

Given the extreme tuning abilities in the setups it's safe to assume they're not running stock equipment.
Quote from G!NhO :in iRacing you can shift without using the clutch so its stupid, same goes for rFactor and other ISI crap...

in real life you CAN shift without the clutch
Quote from brt900 :in real life you CAN shift without the clutch

true, but it requires accurate rev-matching. you can not just forget the clutch and shift away, as in some games
#46 - Woz
Quote from bbman :'96 Fiesta here, the only assist I have is a brake booster, and I honestly believe what you describe is the clutch springs and the car moving/squatting (as the handbrake is still on)... If you'd feel the plates engage, the pedal would maybe vibrate (don't know if it'll be good for the material to get that sensation)... Remember that the force they exert is rotational - if any bit of that force would be transfered into the cabin the pedal would have to move sideways...

Yes you are right in that it is just the springs that you feel but because of them you do get a transition feel. If you think about it, you are only starting to work against the springs as the plates start to come apart. Same on the way back up where you are fighting the springs until the plates fully together. Because the clutch is not hydraulic you notice it more.
Quote from brt900 :in real life you CAN shift without the clutch

Yes but you can simply slam the gear stick and it goes accordinly, at least in LFS you have to match the revs before a gear will engage.
In a real car when u just slam the gearstick to another gear without clutch, u have to go up and down with the revs to make it go in. Before that, it just makes a bad sound that hurts any car lovers ears

And I don´t see any reason why some people say that the LFS clutch overheats too quickly. First of all, in about 95% of all the gear ratios, the 1st gear is way longer than in real life, for faster starts obviously. The stress for the clutch in situeations where u try to shift as fast as possible with double the revs in a racing condition, than IRL, is pretty big. And last but not least, when u race in, lets say, South city u have a bunch of other things to think and concentrate at, than shifting. Then u might have the clutch-gear change timing a bit messed up and that can also eat the clutch.
#49 - Woz
Quote from tonyonparas :And I don´t see any reason why some people say that the LFS clutch overheats too quickly.

Normally it is people that have never driven a car, or have only driven an auto and hence have no concept on the correct operation of a clutch. They just assume they are doing it right yet it takes a while of real life clutch use to learn how to operate one right and that it becomes second nature.

The other cause appears to be the auto clutch which sometimes "rides" when it should not and hence builds heat.
#50 - Byku
I've never burned the clutch, maybe except in DD . Agree with Woz.

Clutch Feature?
(56 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG