The online racing simulator
Clutch Feature?
(56 posts, started )
#1 - GTM
Clutch Feature?
Hi All,

I started a search for a driving sim, that uses a clutch and its led me here.

I have afew questions if thats ok?

How realistic is the clutch feature in game play? Does the game simulate a real "bite point" can you ride the clutch and spin the wheels? also if you went in too a bend riding the clutch then dropped it would the car spin out with enough revs?

Is this game really that realistic!?

If so, what steering wheel have people found the best? I've looked at Logitecs one with 3 pedals and a stick, looks awesome. Has anyone used this, or can recomend an even better option?

Thanks for your help!
#2 - G!NhO
Quote from GTM :Hi All,

I started a search for a driving sim, that uses a clutch and its led me here.

I have afew questions if thats ok?

How realistic is the clutch feature in game play? Does the game simulate a real "bite point" can you ride the clutch and spin the wheels? also if you went in too a bend riding the clutch then dropped it would the car spin out with enough revs?

Is this game really that realistic!?

If so, what steering wheel have people found the best? I've looked at Logitecs one with 3 pedals and a stick, looks awesome. Has anyone used this, or can recomend an even better option?

Thanks for your help!

as far as i know everything you mentioned is in this sim
you can let your clutch slip and it can overheat, also you can let the back wheels spin if you dont blip the throttle while downshifting.

the Logitech G25 is probably the best option to buy.
#3 - GTM
Thats so kool!

With all that then I'ed imagin its also possible to stall the car if you dont use the clutch properly?

Thanks for ultra quick reply as well! lol!

Roll on pay day!
#4 - G!NhO
yes you can stall it and also bump start it again

but you do have to give a little more gas than in real life to get going
#5 - GTM
Cant understand why a feature as good as this has never been put in other driving sims! It must make the game so much more fun, espcially if you drive in real life.
#6 - G!NhO
Well there are some other sims with clutch feature, but they dont really have it as good as LFS :nol2:

and yes it sure is fun
#7 - GTM
I know what I'm doing on my lunch break tomorrow then!

I'm going to put a Sparco seat I've got lying around to good use and weld up a frame to mount the wheel too!
#8 - G!NhO
thats a very good idea

also dont forget to buy S2
Clutch simulation is so-so.

Biting points are slightly iffy..

If you don't press the clutch pedal in enough it won't change into the next gear (THAT'S A GOOD THING!!)

Clutch heat is probably the worst part, it's far to
easy to burn your clutch.

Although using the clutch does effect engine braking and launching, so overall I'd say it's pretty good. But saying that I can't say I've played a PC simulation that has a better simulation of a fully manual H-pattern transmission so it's probably the best you can find..
its the best out of all sims, yeah its not perfect but what do you expect from a game

i do like it
one feature you can also do is this;

In a real car, you can move off by just bringing the clutch up very slowly (no gas). I was expecting the car to stall (in LFS) but surprisingly it can handle it. The clutch is pretty neat but as Ghino said, you need more gas to get going.

The other good thing is the clutch is better/stronger in some cars than others.
it also depends on your gear ratio, if you make it very short you dont have to give gas to drive of. if you let the clutch come up slowly it does drive away without stalling.
Quote from GTM :Cant understand why a feature as good as this has never been put in other driving sims! It must make the game so much more fun, espcially if you drive in real life.

Indeed! There's quite a number of LFSers who think it's more important to drive as realistically as possible (clutch, H-gate shifter, right foot braking, heel&toe...) than going super-alien fast and using paddle shifter, clutch macros and all that jazz. It's of course a matter of personal preference, but I think it's great that it's possible to do both! The clutch simulation is of course an important part of that.
whats clutch macro? i heard it in a server today but i still dont know what it really is
Quote from S14 DRIFT :Clutch heat is probably the worst part, it's far to easy to burn your clutch.

You're just not doing it right. I've never heated up the clutch in LFS unless I've tried.
it will only heat up fast if you stop and lift off all the time
There are many different ways of it happening. Normally it's just someone using a button ctrl-rate 10 clutch, thus giving them an advantage while accelerating, as he who won't be named but should know better was using today on CTRA.

I think there was another way by editing the file that does the gearshift setups for the cars (like H-Pattern and stuff) and tricking the game into thinking that a H-Pattern car has a sequential gearbox so you don't need the clutch at all or something idk.

MAGGOT it doesn't happen normally during races, but the fact remains it still overheats far to quickly.
ye it was some 3id guy who had the haxxorz
Quote from G!NhO :it will only heat up fast if you stop and lift off all the time

And that's just the way it is in real life, isn't it?
Yeah, our cars clutch overheats every time we go shopping and my bikes clutch overheats every time I commute to work. Super realistic.
#21 - Woz
Quote from S14 DRIFT :Yeah, our cars clutch overheats every time we go shopping and my bikes clutch overheats every time I commute to work. Super realistic.

In the XXR I have done 10 0-60mph dump starts back to back with NO signs of overheat. I can do the same on all other cars as well.

I have used DXtweal to adjust my bite points so it is more realistic, only about 40% of the pedal travel on my G25 clutch actually does anything.

I have yet to overheat a clutch in LFS, I hate to thik how you drive lol

BTW: I bet any amount you want I can burn out the clutch in your real car in no time at all. Would you like me to show you how?

OP: The clutch heat is not right in LFS BUT it is not as bad as bad drivers bitch. If you drive as you would IRL then you will NEVER burn out a clutch. If you try and exploit the physics, use huge 1st gear and locked diff you are just asking to burn it out.
Quote from S14 DRIFT :Yeah, our cars clutch overheats every time we go shopping and my bikes clutch overheats every time I commute to work. Super realistic.

well its a race simulator not a stop and go shopping simulator
The clutch simualtion in LFS is fine, the problem is we don't have force feedback pedals, so its very hard to judge where the bite point is. Doesn't feel like a real car at all because of this.
I don't think there is a "bite point" in a real car, at least not in mine. Maybe you interpret as the car suddenly goes forward as a bite point, but I can't say I feel anything in the pedal of my car. But maybe in other cars it would be different?
All manual cars have a "bite point". How else are you going to do a hill start for example? Do you not hold the hand brake up, increase revs slightly, slowly lift your foot off the clutch untill you feel the car trying to pull forward (bite point) then in one combined motion, increase revs, let clutch pedal out fully and release the handbrake?

I agree you don't feel this in your pedals when driving a real car, you feel it in your ass but then he'd have to wish for a force feedback seat!

Clutch Feature?
(56 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG