The online racing simulator
PLEASE. HELP ME SOMEONE!
They are all coming from the wood work now!
Quote from DaveWS :That was a bump, but that occured well before the oversteer to the right. I was on full throttle for most of that slide, so that isn't the cause. I've never had any issues correcting slides in LFS or iRacing FWIW.

The thing is, the car was completely settled, planted, corrected etc well before the sudden snap to the right. It's like a massively delayed weight transfer or something.

This was the first thing I noticed when trying the new nkp. I can only describe them feeling like very slow motion tankslappers, when the rear end should be firmly planted.
Quote from DaveWS :Ok, a have a few more issues now with the sim.

Firstly, collisions online. I know someone has mentioned this before, but the first time something strange happened was shortly after the lights went green in a race. I had a good run on someone, and he left enough room (just) for me to squeeze up the inside. However as I moved alongside, there was a collision, which glued our cars together, and I ended up flying off the track to the left despite steering right.

In other collisions, the damage you receive seems massively exaggerated to the extent even of iRacing. The tiniest of tap leaves your car almost undrivable.

Now, the most dissappointing flaw I have found so far, is a strange delayed weight transfer oversteer issue. It's almost like a tankslapper, but it happens after you have already finished correcting the slide. It only seems to happen on corner exits too, when you are really provoking the car.

I uploaded a video to mediafire: http://www.mediafire.com/?11mjg4mozm3 and here's a youtube version too: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lm2k3p9NgJ0&fmt=18

In the video you can see me correcting oversteer on the exit of a corner. Now the car suddenly snaps to the right well after I have finished correcting the slide, and if you look closely my wheel is even turned to the left slightly when it happens!

I must admit, I haven't seen it yet happen to me...
That behaviour is similar to handbrake turn.
It's a wreck fest at the moment... need server controls badly.
Quote from DaveWS :That was a bump, but that occured well before the oversteer to the right. I was on full throttle for most of that slide, so that isn't the cause. I've never had any issues correcting slides in LFS or iRacing FWIW.

I've seen someone else mention that, but I've never experienced it myself. I have no problem correcting slides in nKPro, yet i find it almost impossible in the Skippy and Mazda sometimes.

I think you should post the video at RSC thb.

As for collisions, I think I'm seeing a pattern emerge. It seems to be worse on lower bandwidth servers. (StableX thought this was the case as well, after he brought it to my attention i started taking notice and i think he right) More testing on that theory to come.... It ruined that race that you, me and Juha were having. We were battling neck and neck up to the last lap when a clear bad collison detection moment happened and we both ended up with broken cars.

At least we know the complete rewrite of the netcode and collision detection is taking place, so that should be solved in the not to distant future. (no smartass comments required thanks. )
Quote from Mattesa :It's a wreck fest at the moment... need server controls badly.

On licensed servers as well?

Though its been far from perfect (as the new guys get used to the cars and racing) I cant say I've been hit once on the licensed servers in recent days.
Quote from The Moose :I've seen someone else mention that, but I've never experienced it myself.

Happens to me all the time. One of the reasons I can't be bothered playing to be honest. Just feels totally wrong and disconnected when it happens. A slow drift into a spin without any warning that it's about to do it.
Quote from The Moose :At least we know the complete rewrite of the netcode and collision detection is taking place, so that should be solved in the not to distant future. (no smartass comments required thanks. )

Because as we all know, complete rewrites always result in high quality bug-free code. (You're welcome )
Quote from The Moose :On licensed servers as well?

This was on the SRP 1600 server. Being public and demo is no excuse really, especially when they're usually the most populated ones. They're going to be a new player's first impression, and with such a thin driver base at the moment there isn't any shopping around with other servers.
Quote from Mattesa :This was on the SRP 1600 server. Being public and demo is no excuse really

Stop right there buddy!

Whilst we'd all love to see good quality racing on demo servers your living in cloud cuckoo land if you expect anything better.
People who aren't committed enough to buy the sim aren't committed enough to learn how to race properly and fairly and with a bit of caution in general.

As soon as the SRP 1600 server put a password on it the other night there were 15 clean racers on it, and it was the best 1600 race I've seen in 1.03

Demo servers will always be the same, no matter what the sim.
Yes, people will always be people but admin commands and vote kick/bans go a long way to ensure that the demo, actually demos.
Quote from The Moose :
Demo servers will always be the same, no matter what the sim.

But, surely you will agree with me that is rather different to have the possibility to kick and ban wohever causes problems, than just sit back and watch someone ruining the races in your own server. Specially in a sim that has only 4 cars to choose from. I wouldn´t pay for a server that I can not admin, and if this problem isn´t solved it will be hard to find open demo servers, which means that it will be hard to try the game online and have a direct influence on sales. And without sales, we´ll have Jaap "creating" facts to keep people interested while Stefano is busy doing all sort of other stuff to earn enough to pay his bills. Opening the demo the way it was done, without preventing that this kind of problems could appear, just reveals a poor judgement and lack of strategie on how to promote your product...
Quote from DaveWS :I uploaded a video to mediafire: http://www.mediafire.com/?11mjg4mozm3 and here's a youtube version too: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lm2k3p9NgJ0&fmt=18

In the video you can see me correcting oversteer on the exit of a corner. Now the car suddenly snaps to the right well after I have finished correcting the slide, and if you look closely my wheel is even turned to the left slightly when it happens!

Hmm... that does look very odd and I haven't seen anything like it in nkPro before. Is it with the default setup?

My first thought was some odd setup as it looks like the sort of behaviour of an unstable car under braking, but obviously you're not on the brakes there. Can you throw the car into a corner and expect it to stick or is the setup incredibly lively?
Quote from Mattesa :Yes, people will always be people but admin commands and vote kick/bans go a long way to ensure that the demo, actually demos.

I made that point at RSC within the first day of release. About admin commands anyway.

The problem is there need to be admins on the server to do it when its implemented. Vote kicks/bans just cause chaos as we've all seen in LFS. They are useless.

But, as far as things go, any serious sim fan will be able to tell whether this is a sim they like or not by driving offline.. If they venture online and see that at its core it works well online (yes things still need improving, but its miles better than it ever was) even though there are a load of idiots in demo i belive they will buy it anyway to escape the madness.

Still no excuses for not having more server side admin options available on release. That was overlooked not only by Stefano, but by the beta testers, so we're all as much to blame. We were all so used to having only serious sim racers using nKPro that the thought never occurred to anyone. Seems absolutely crazy in hindsight, but that's how it was.
Quote from durbster :Hmm... that does look very odd and I haven't seen anything like it in nkPro before. Is it with the default setup?

My first thought was some odd setup as it looks like the sort of behaviour of an unstable car under braking, but obviously you're not on the brakes there. Can you throw the car into a corner and expect it to stick or is the setup incredibly lively?

I was actually using one of Moose's sets for that track, with a small ARB change. It's normally pretty predictable and stable, just I sometimes get those "WTF" moments on corner exits...
Quote from The Moose :serious sim fan ...

...only serious sim racers.

Don't get carried away now.

I see some concern about perpetual demo users, but that's another topic.
Quote from The Moose :On licensed servers as well?

Though its been far from perfect (as the new guys get used to the cars and racing) I cant say I've been hit once on the licensed servers in recent days.

That's probably just because you wave goodbye to the field in T1 and disappear in the distance.

Any further thoughts/experiences on the bandwidth vs collisions theory?
Quote from Mattesa :Don't get carried away now.

I wasn't And it wasn't meant in an elitest way

That's how it was. You simply didn't get 'casual' sim racers. Never saw an idiot, wrecker or a simply unaware or disrespectful driver.

(much like the GPL crowd)
Quote from Gnomie :Any further thoughts/experiences on the bandwidth vs collisions theory?

Still working on that one. Might well take a few days of hitting people on different servers to come up with anything conclusive
Quote from The Moose :Someone reported the same problem at RSC, Jonesy

Three thing were suggested, but the guy never replied as to whether he got it working

"I'm not sure I have the answer to this, but based on what you've told me, I know that sometimes, my wheel will shake while my car is just sitting in the garage. Perhaps its a graphics problem, where the loading screen isn't disappearing?

This is just a guess, but I'm sure it wouldn't hurt to check to see if you have the latest graphics drivers, or even directx?"

"Check if the "Fullscreen" is ticked in the "Video settings"

"Try setting 'USEOPENAL' to 0 in nkpro.inii (located in cfg folder).

It could be that your sound card is not supporting OpenAL."

Of all those replys a graphics problem of some sort would seem to be the obvious culprit. iirc when you install nKPro it prompts you to install directX and something else, did you install both of those options?

If none of those suggestions worked then i suggest you post in the Technical Advice thread at the RSC netkar pro forum, attaching the log.txt file (in the logs folder)

:smash3d: The solution was as simply as just updating the gfx drivers.
My bad and sorry for bothering!
Quote from Jonesy_ ::smash3d: The solution was as simply as just updating the gfx drivers.
My bad and sorry for bothering!

Great! at least you found a solution
Oke my moment of bitching on nKPro.

Its sofar the best SIM i played by a long shot. The feel you get from the car is really impressive. Havent played a game that gets close as this as a real car. Sure it has his faults. What do you expect ?. 1 guy created it. And not a whole bunch of people like iracing with a lot of money to get the latest data and track info. LFS has 3 creators and it took a long bloody way to take it to this point where LFS currently is.
Just a bloody good sim nKPro is which is gonna take me off LFS for a while. The f2000 on falkenberg is awesome. Spa is the best conversion I have seen in a sim. That track is amazing. Especially in the f2000 or ftarget. OGM. Monaco i tried but is a pain to get a decent lape in without hitting or crashing the wall, but thats my skill nothing to do with nKPro.

1.04 will be coming shortly with some nice improvments. Cant wait tbh. Ohh yes the demo servers hmmm what can I say. Yes horrible. Let me think take a look at LFS demo servers. Yes horrible aswell. So dont blame the system, its the drivers that keeps fcking it up. Its just good value for money. 36 euro for a game isnt that bad. I remember when GTR evo came out and cost about 59 euro. I didnt hear anybody complain.

I like it and waiting inpatience whats to come within nKPro.
So sheperd Moose : pass the soup and praice the lord Kunos
I tested nK for some days now, and there are quite odd things in it...

It began with me trying out how long the tyres would last... So I did some laps...

By chance, I found the first oddity: there seems to be a magic handbrake fitted to all FF1600 that holds the car stationary on the steepest part of the track without applying any form of brake, whether you're in neutral or disengaged the clutch doesn't matter, it won't start rolling again...

Then, my tank was running empty...

At the pitstop, I ran into the next oddity: I seem to have gotten in a McDonald's Drive-Through... "I'd like a Hamburger to my new tyres, thank you"... I've never seen a driver ordering new tyres and fuel when he's stopping...

After racking up over 200 kms on one set of tyres I gave up to try it another way... And since we're on the part of being stationary - standing still breaks the whole simulation...

I tried to destroy the tyres by heat or excessive wear by putting it against a wall and doing a burnout until the tyres would explode... After I depleted a full tank this way I went back to the pits and couldn't believe what I saw: not only did my burnout apparently nothing to the tyre's wear, the temperature in all tyres was 25° C...

So it seems there is no way to actually destroy your tyres... They're degrading - yes, but apparently simulating a puncture or tyres driven down to the canvas isn't possible in the most hardcore sim of them all...

NetKar Pro [v1.3 released]
(2766 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG