The online racing simulator
Euro Truck Simulator
(38 posts, started )

Poll : Is "Euro Truck Sim" good?

No
Dunno
Yes
Euro Truck Simulator
I was in PC World today, and I saw a game about Trucks. Recently, I've had a thing about trucks, I'm fixated by them, and I generally like sims. I like the idea of a "second life" where I can fool around with no fatal consequences. So I have an ever-growing collection of sims, Flight Simulator 2000, 2002, FS9, FSX and the expansion pack, Train games, many MANY driving games and more, but nothing to do with trucks.

So I went and downloaded the demo, and before I knew it, the hour trial was up. It was good fun, and most websites give it a good rating, but have you had any experience with it? Was it good/bad? And most importantly, does it work with a Wheel? Because the chances are I'll scrap the joystick for driving games and get a cheap-ish wheel to drive. So please let me know, I'd love to hear from you.
its a good game, not something you would get hardcore on, but certainly a fun way to spend some free time.
Quote from piggy501 :I was in PC World today, and I saw a game about Trucks. Recently, I've had a thing about trucks, I'm fixated by them, and I generally like sims. I like the idea of a "second life" where I can fool around with no fatal consequences. So I have an ever-growing collection of sims, Flight Simulator 2000, 2002, FS9, FSX and the expansion pack, Train games, many MANY driving games and more, but nothing to do with trucks.

So I went and downloaded the demo, and before I knew it, the hour trial was up. It was good fun, and most websites give it a good rating, but have you had any experience with it? Was it good/bad? And most importantly, does it work with a Wheel? Because the chances are I'll scrap the joystick for driving games and get a cheap-ish wheel to drive. So please let me know, I'd love to hear from you.

Yes work with wheel , and the game is good to

But when you play the game , sooner or later is turn into Boring truck simulator , cuz you do allways the same routes and deliverys
Do not buy it. I repeat, do NOT buy it. Seriously. It's crap.

I've played a number of the 18WoS games and enjoyed them quite a bit. I was actually looking forward to this one because the screenshots made it seem really good. But... it's crap. Physics and truck handling are a complete joke, as is the map. There's 1 "city" per country, which consists of maybe 2 or 3 streets. Everything else is highways, that all look alike. Not worth whatever amount they're selling it for.

You're better off waiting for RigNRoll to come out. After 6 or more years of release dates being postponed, it looks like it might actually come out in 2009

One good thing about ETS is the truck models, they're pretty good, the exterior as well as the interiors, with working leds and gauges and everything. But that's the only good thing about it.

EDIT: thought I'd elaborate a bit on the controls. Yes, it works with a wheel. There's no clutch support, though. And no support for H-Gate shifters, so you just have to shift sequentially. In trucks with a 16-speed gearbox that becomes pretty annoying. The shifting is also instantaneous, like... lightning fast. Comparable to paddle shifting in the BF1. Absolutely not realistic for a truck.
RigNRoll looks really good, but its a bit Americanised. Might be worth a shot though, if it is amazingly good.

EDIT: The vehicles are Over-American, but the territory looks really nice.

Another query; Microsoft Train Simulator. Is that good? And What happened to Microsoft Train Simulator 2?
#6 - J@tko
Mr Joe Ellis has the game and he quite likes it.

Me? No. It doesn't work at all with my wheel, far too sensitive (even with it on min), physics are dodgy and it crashed 30 mins into my demo when I tried to look at the map

Rig'n'Roll looks good tho
#7 - JJ72
Quote from piggy501 :Another query; Microsoft Train Simulator. Is that good? And What happened to Microsoft Train Simulator 2?

I think MSTS was good, I still play in once in a while, and if you go digging out some mods I think it would be even better.

coupe months ago I tried out World of Subways http://www.world-of-subways.com/index.php?id=160&L=1 , It's a standalone product based on the MSTS engine, it's a real neat little gem, however it's a bit too pricey for the relatively little content they offered.

btw if you are into commuter transport see if you can find a japanese game called "train! GO!" (ridiculous name I know), it requires much precision operation and is quite addictive

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4PWVCAsA1EA
Quote from piggy501 :Another query; Microsoft Train Simulator. Is that good? And What happened to Microsoft Train Simulator 2?

My dad's into his trains, so I can answer this one - MSTS was well received in it's day, but is poorly designed and poorly supported. It was released in 2001, which to put it into perspective, pre-dates WindowsXP & DirectX 8.1. However it has a huge community around it, with literally thousands of add-ons and extra locos, rolling stock, etc.

MSTS2 is in the pipeline based on the FSX engine and looks to be a few dozen lightyears ahead of MSTS (which it bloody needs to be). MSTS2 is due out at the end of 2009, and much like FSX, you'll need a serious computer to make the most of it.

(EDIT) Found the MSTS2 website: http://www.tsinsider.com/
Quote from STROBE :you'll need a serious computer to make the most of it.

Thats my problem. I use a laptop, with which most games run well enough. I'll post my specs if you want me to.
euro truck sim is ok, i do perfer it to the 18 wos badged games but it stiall has that dodgy handling that is definatly not realistic(my dad agrees and hes an ex trucker) and the controls system leaves alot to be desired the way it handles you controller inputs is awful tbh especially on the steering. oh and the ai are very stupid lol but apart from that its ok

edit: oh yh and the road system is very simple and uss the same bases, there are a set of road, junction and city models tha are just repeated, there seems to be a bit more variating in the upcoming patch, along with the addition of the uk, i havent yet tried any of the addon maps but they may be better. oh and i voted yes but only because theres not an ok option
it's bad, I would NOT recommend a wheel whilst playing it.

And it's pretty empty-ish.
Quote from piggy501 :I was in PC World today, and I saw a game about Trucks. Recently, I've had a thing about trucks, I'm fixated by them, and I generally like sims. I like the idea of a "second life" where I can fool around with no fatal consequences. So I have an ever-growing collection of sims, Flight Simulator 2000, 2002, FS9, FSX and the expansion pack, Train games, many MANY driving games and more, but nothing to do with trucks.

It sucks...... you turn too much and you lose all steering completly, all the roads/towns are the same with just different signs. Boring.

If you want a trucking game, hunt around for King Of The Road II (2)
Did try the demo, was not fun and did not like it. Mainly because it didn't feel like a truck.

I would like to see a racing truck in LFS though. Massive turbocharged diesel engines with thick black smoke coming from the exhaust. That would be awesome. :yummy:
Quote from Blackout :Did try the demo, was not fun and did not like it. Mainly because it didn't feel like a truck.

I would like to see a racing truck in LFS though. Massive turbocharged diesel engines with thick black smoke coming from the exhaust. That would be awesome. :yummy:

You old trucker

Regards,
i have to agree abou the racing trucks, we go at least once a year to brands hatch (only live about 20-30 min from the circuit) to watch them and they are excellent, i love truck, spent alot of time on the road in them as a child and i love my motorsport so it combines the 2 and they are some much fun to watch
#16 - MR_B
Designed by SCS who made Bus Driver (remember that fun game?)

Yay for Shovelware!
Quote from MR_B :Designed by SCS who made Bus Driver (remember that fun game?)

Yay for Shovelware!

Thats another game I'm thinking about getting!
part of their valuesoft range if im not mistaken, and it does seem to be produced down to a budget lol. but the funny thing is i can find hundreds of things wrong with it but i still play it, i dont know why
IMO Euro Truck could have been brilliant, but it was let down by terrible physics, controller input and the uberly repetitive landscape. You have to pick one country at the start of the game, and you'll stay there driving up and down the exact same motorway until you earn enough money to go up and down the exact same motorway with slightly different foliage in another country.

It's fun for a while, and if the controller inputs were fixed, and you had to drive B roads instead of motorways, then it would be a brilliant game. Gets boringly samey samey after a very short time though, much like Bus Sim (which had just as bad controller inputs and physics, but at least Truck Sim works in Vista :shrug

E: I've yet to try the 18WoS series, I think I'll have a look for a demo tomorrow, or if I'm around GameStop I may just go blind
18WoS drives exactly the same, but with those big American trucks with huge bonnets.
basicly they both use the same physics engine and same controls to a point and have a very similar interface, etc is only realy a euro version od 18wos
ETS is ok, but as others have mentioned, I get bored of Motorway after motorway after motorway.

There are however a few mountain road type mods which make it a bit more interesting. They're a bit rough at the edges (i.e. some of the roads have bumps that you cannot drive over without damaging your load, and there are a few rough bits and holes in the scenery).

But the steering and FFB. An absoloute shambles. FFB works at 10000% when you crash and 0% the rest of the time (:schwitz, steering is too sensitive, and if you steer to quickly the steering stops working and you plough into oncoming traffic
I got hold of it when it first came out...I assure you that you wil get VERY bored, VERY quickly....Every mission ('job') is exactly the same, and the roads all look the same...and the traffic is always the same....BORING!!!!!!!
Quote from dougie-lampkin :IMO Euro Truck could have been brilliant, but it was let down by terrible physics, controller input and the uberly repetitive landscape. You have to pick one country at the start of the game, and you'll stay there driving up and down the exact same motorway until you earn enough money to go up and down the exact same motorway with slightly different foliage in another country.

It's fun for a while, and if the controller inputs were fixed, and you had to drive B roads instead of motorways, then it would be a brilliant game. Gets boringly samey samey after a very short time though, much like Bus Sim (which had just as bad controller inputs and physics, but at least Truck Sim works in Vista :shrug

E: I've yet to try the 18WoS series, I think I'll have a look for a demo tomorrow, or if I'm around GameStop I may just go blind

a very good mate of mine is a truck driver ( scania 430, steel delvierys... )

and he's driven the same route the last 12 years...

gotta make money some how-

getting back on topic: its rather fun, personally wouldn't buy it but if it gets released on freeware basis in a few years ill enjoy it some more.
If you ever played 18wos, youre gonna be disappointed by ets.
But rign'roll is looking good.

Euro Truck Simulator
(38 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG