The online racing simulator
Williams reveal 2009 wing package
(143 posts, started )
The Mclaren front wing looks nice with the '08 rear wing.
I've never been in favour of sticking the quick guys at the front. That's why I didnt do it in the STCC, but F1 isn't about the spectator, it's about those with the money wanting to come out on top, so whatever solution the teams come up with you can be sure McLaren + Ferrari wont agree to it unless they can see themselves qualifying constantly in the top 4.

How about a system that results in the difference in time between the fastest and slowest times being used to add time to their qualifying lap time of each car based upon reverse championship order. It could meen something as innocuous as a Toyota improving it's lap time changing pole position between a McLaren and a Ferrrari, it will sink the championship contenders into the pack, and really mix things up.

That's the kind of thing I want, something that sees the title rivals starting from somewhere around 7th-15th position.
Quote from Becky Rose :I've never been in favour of sticking the quick guys at the front. That's why I didnt do it in the STCC, but F1 isn't about the spectator, it's about those with the money wanting to come out on top, so whatever solution the teams come up with you can be sure McLaren + Ferrari wont agree to it unless they can see themselves qualifying constantly in the top 4.

How about a system that results in the difference in time between the fastest and slowest times being used to add time to their qualifying lap time of each car based upon reverse championship order. It could meen something as innocuous as a Toyota improving it's lap time changing pole position between a McLaren and a Ferrrari, it will sink the championship contenders into the pack, and really mix things up.

That's the kind of thing I want, something that sees the title rivals starting from somewhere around 7th-15th position.

I don't subscribe this way of thinking. Other motorsports cope very well without having the need to run these types of systems. It's like making Manchester United start minus 1 or 2 goals, or Phil Taylor starting a couple sets down.

If you want to mix it up a bit using a kart style qualifying heat system would be entertaining. However it would be a bit to expensive to run 3-4 races in a day.
Quote from Mattesa :I know it'd be great to see lots of over taking but let's be realistic... it doesn't happen in road racing. It doesn't happen on a club level with inexperienced drivers, it doesn't happen in other formulas, doesn't happen in touring cars, it doesn't happen in LFS. The fastest guy is the fastest guy, and once everyone gets in order from fastest to slowest (um.... like by qualifying) we have parade laps to the end.

The only place we get "a lot of overtaking" is something like Nascar. Why? Drafting. Give the guy behind an inherent speed advantage, which he loses once he gets in front. So if we want to see F1 (or any type of road racing) with lots of passing, we need to give the guy behind a speed advantage. Mechanical grip and less downforce doesn't make for more passing, but it might let the faster guy over take sooner, and have our parade to the end sooner.

Really drafting isn't the reason there is so much passing in Nascar, they really only get a good draft on a fraction of the tracks. Nascar has more passing because they have more caution periods and more pitstops which shake the field up a lot more. There's also a lot more room for passing on a track that has multiple grooves for racing rather than a road course where you really need to take the same line as everyone else. Nascar crews also do a lot of adjusting of their cars during the race, so cars are constantly getting better/worse as the day goes on. As far as I know this doesn't happen much, if at all, in F1.

Why doesn't F1 use smaller fuel tanks, make them pit 3-4 times a race? I think the more you have to pit, the more strategy has to get involved and the more likely it is that you could see leaders lose time and have to make it back up on the track. Throwing the safety car out when cars go off would also bunch up the field and promote passing, caution periods are really annoying though.
Quote from UncleBenny :Throwing the safety car out when cars go off would also bunch up the field and promote passing, caution periods are really annoying though.

That sucks. It's artificial. I don't know about Nascar, but ALMS has certainly understood this, unfortunately. It does make racing better, but in a very artificial way. Ok, maybe the tracks don't have cranes, and maybe (great) American tracks do not have so much run off areas to allow marshalls to clean the debris from the track safely after crashes but sometimes it feels like seagull poo is enough for yet another safety car perioid.
Quote from deggis :That sucks. It's artificial. I don't know about Nascar, but ALMS has certainly understood this, unfortunately. It does make racing better, but in a very artificial way. Ok, maybe the tracks don't have cranes, and maybe (great) American tracks do not have so much run off areas to allow marshalls to clean the debris from the track safely after crashes but sometimes it feels like seagull poo is enough for yet another safety car perioid.

+1, especially on ALMS
Quote from deggis :That sucks. It's artificial. I don't know about Nascar, but ALMS has certainly understood this, unfortunately. It does make racing better, but in a very artificial way. Ok, maybe the tracks don't have cranes, and maybe (great) American tracks do not have so much run off areas to allow marshalls to clean the debris from the track safely after crashes but sometimes it feels like seagull poo is enough for yet another safety car perioid.

I agree, I'm not saying they should do it, but if they did do it it would create more passing. And also piss off all the F1 fans just like it pisses off all the Nascar fans.
Quote from Becky Rose :I've never been in favour of sticking the quick guys at the front. That's why I didnt do it in the STCC, but F1 isn't about the spectator, it's about those with the money wanting to come out on top, so whatever solution the teams come up with you can be sure McLaren + Ferrari wont agree to it unless they can see themselves qualifying constantly in the top 4.

F1 should not be about the spectator - it's too important for that. It is a competition to discover the best driver in the fastest, most historic series. It's about following in the footsteps of Schumacher, Senna, Jones, Lauda, Brabham, Clark, Hill, Fangio. It's not about Lewis Hamilton running up the grid towards Stuart Hall carrying a Joker which he can play to reduce his Championship Qualifying Addition Coefficient by 50% for one race.
-
(deggis) DELETED by deggis
I like it all. In racing - ugly is the new sexy. And it always has been since about six days before the rest of forever.
Quote from Gunn :I like it all. In racing - ugly is the new sexy. And it always has been since about six days before the rest of forever.

Just... stop... talking.. PLEASE.
Actually, i'm loving those sidepods!
Am I the only one who doesnt give a ****?
Quote from Takumi_lfs :Am I the only one who doesnt give a ****?

Pause and reflect on the possibility that the only ones that don't actually give a shit are the ones that haven't posted in this thread. Scary, huh?

Williams reveal 2009 wing package
(143 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG