Williams reveal 2009 wing package
(143 posts, started )
Quote from xaotik :Well let's just hope it's only BMW doing what they know best - remember this?

Gorgeous
These cars are growing on me, I think I might even be able to look at them without vomit spewing out of my eyes when they are finished.
I was hoping for a updated F1 BMW in LFS each year... but this is a no no!
Quote from ATC Quicksilver :These cars are growing on me

Odd, I didn't expect them to be the result of an ectosymbiosis - a more internal sort would of been more appropriate, much like the one employed by human intestinal bacteria.
Did you guys hear of the suggestion about the new Qualifying procedure? I honestly wouldn't care. Would be interusting though. :P It's like a knock out sprint race before a real qual with 6 racers only.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/72203
Yeah it seems pretty interusting. One mess up would result in you getting knocked out and starting behind. A lot more pressure then having 10 mins to do laps. :P I think it will go forward and it will be really interusting.
Imo i hope the goes through, im sick of seeing the front pack being the same old shit, we want a surpise!

Mixed up grid + field spread + easy overtaking = awesome viewing
Quote from ATC Quicksilver :But it also means the braking distances are even shorter, which means less overtaking.

means more mechanical grip + less air turbulence when following a car = easier overtakes

P.S. Man those F1 are sooooooo ugly(well the wings atleast)

I like it more then the BMW but the 2009 cars will probably be the ugliest cars in F1 history.
The McLaren is the least-ugly so far. That rear wing doesn't look tall enough though - is it legal for 2009?
Quote from thisnameistaken :The McLaren is the least-ugly so far. That rear wing doesn't look tall enough though - is it legal for 2009?

No they're still using the 2008 rear wing with the rear downforce simulating the 2009 rules regs.
they just re-used the 2005 nosecone with a new wing
Quote from evilpimp :Did you guys hear of the suggestion about the new Qualifying procedure? I honestly wouldn't care. Would be interusting though. :P It's like a knock out sprint race before a real qual with 6 racers only.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/72203

What if 2 drivers are involved in a crash (since they are all running at the same time) and then they won't be able to determine who was slowest?
Quote from 5haz :
Tbh I wouldnt want all V10s or V8s, I'd like to see V8s V12s V10s V6s so on so forth, but the FIA aren't exactly in to making things diverse, they're trying to build a 'Master Race' or engines to make F1 their 'Lebensraum', persecuting all that is different or good.

It would be interesting to let all the teams develop their own engine and just give a power and bore restriction. That way each engine will have special attributes giving not just the chassis an advantage but visa versa, track might suit a cars chassis but not technically the engine.
Quote from BlueFlame :What if 2 drivers are involved in a crash (since they are all running at the same time) and then they won't be able to determine who was slowest?

They can find a way. Maybe place them by name, race, age, sex or any other way.

On a serious note, maybe whoever was slightly more in front of the other at the moment of the contact? I doupt anyone will crash straight from the begining of the sessions before even completing an outlap...
Quote from evilpimp :They can find a way. Maybe place them by name, race, age, sex or any other way.

On a serious note, maybe whoever was slightly more in front of the other at the moment of the contact? I doupt anyone will crash straight from the begining of the sessions before even completing an outlap...

It doesn't matter if they are on an outlap, it's if they don't complete their first lap.
Whichever retires first? I dunno, they'll probably figure something else.. It could be by championship standings too...
Either way, I think it's a stupid system, the current one is good enough.
Like I said, I wouldn't really care. The current ones fine but the new one isn't a bad idea either.
Who says anyone has to find Qualifying exciting? The most exciting qualification sessions have been during the 12laps each phase where people like Mika and Schumacher battle it out alternate laps taking pole position because they are going as fast as they can and not just as fast as the car allows.
Why not have a qual that sets a funny/exciting grid?
Quote from ATC Quicksilver :... less overtaking.

Quote from Mustafur :...easy overtaking = awesome viewing

Quote from Kazu2799 :...easier overtakes

I know it'd be great to see lots of over taking but let's be realistic... it doesn't happen in road racing. It doesn't happen on a club level with inexperienced drivers, it doesn't happen in other formulas, doesn't happen in touring cars, it doesn't happen in LFS. The fastest guy is the fastest guy, and once everyone gets in order from fastest to slowest (um.... like by qualifying) we have parade laps to the end.

The only place we get "a lot of overtaking" is something like Nascar. Why? Drafting. Give the guy behind an inherent speed advantage, which he loses once he gets in front. So if we want to see F1 (or any type of road racing) with lots of passing, we need to give the guy behind a speed advantage. Mechanical grip and less downforce doesn't make for more passing, but it might let the faster guy over take sooner, and have our parade to the end sooner.
Anyone expecting MotoGP like overtaking is stupid. Probably on the paper, on statistics average amount of overtaking per race and compared to previous years will not be much higher... and that doesn't even matter but what matters is existing chance to see overtaking for top position. Something like Kimi vs. Fisi '05. Knowing that would be possible to see more often, is enough keeping suspense high. During last seasons that kind of just wouldn't have happened in dry conditions, as a spectator you know it and then it gets boring.

Williams reveal 2009 wing package
(143 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG