The online racing simulator
Cleanup : Off topic requests
(92 posts, closed, started )
#1 - Honey
with the new script system i think that will be very useful to assign buttons an axis value, i explain: with the command /button A throttle 0.6 will make the button "A" act as 60% of throttle (very useful for keyboarders and mouse users) and the command /button R right_view 0.3 will make the key "R" to look right for 0.3*90° = 27° -> very useful for anyone because helps looking only a bit on one side and thus keeping looking forward wich is a must when someone try to overtake

i really hope this could be possible with not too much work, thank you for the attention scawen
Quote from Honey :with the new script system i think that will be very useful to assign buttons an axis value, i explain: with the command /button A throttle 0.6 will make the button "A" act as 60% of throttle (very useful for keyboarders and mouse users) and the command /button R right_view 0.3 will make the key "R" to look right for 0.3*90° = 27° -> very useful for anyone because helps looking only a bit on one side and thus keeping looking forward wich is a must when someone try to overtake

+10
this will keep menus clean (no loads of new sliders) but solve many requests like example above
#3 - RiGun
Quote from Honey :with the new script system i think that will be very useful to assign buttons an axis value, i explain: with the command /button A throttle 0.6 will make the button "A" act as 60% of throttle (very useful for keyboarders and mouse users) and the command /button R right_view 0.3 will make the key "R" to look right for 0.3*90° = 27° -> very useful for anyone because helps looking only a bit on one side and thus keeping looking forward wich is a must when someone try to overtake

i really hope this could be possible with not too much work, thank you for the attention scawen

Maybe it could make the game easier for the keyboard players, but I think that many ppl wanting to make new WR could exploit this kind of scripting making predefined breaking power for each corner getting maximum optimisation, scripting is a two bladed weapon, and from my point of view it should remain for setting up controller options and view settings.
Quote from Scawen :24 hour digital Clock displayed on game setup screen

(On Topic) Request: This is a great feature. I was wondering if it would be possible to display the time when you are racing perhaps?? Similar in style to the fps meter? I don't use cockpit views for most of the cars so the in-dash clocks aren't viewable for me.

Other than that, great work as always Scawen
#5 - Honey
Quote from RiGun :Maybe it could make the game easier for the keyboard players, but I think that many ppl wanting to make new WR could exploit this kind of scripting making predefined breaking power for each corner getting maximum optimisation, scripting is a two bladed weapon, and from my point of view it should remain for setting up controller options and view settings.

it is not only for keyboarders or mouse users, it's for everyone (see the "look right 27°" example), you should not have worries because setting a fixed partial throttle/brake will make impossible for you to compete for WR, since a WR holder must be a "trail-braking master" and even more, if someone wants to cheat, there are yet many automation tools that can automate directx inputs and thus it is already possible (and in a more effective way) to produce a mathematically perfect lap or just corner sequences and this not only for lfs but for anything.
the reason i requested for an implementation via script is because for such things to be implemented with GUI requires a lot of work by scawen whilst with scripts i think it will be much much less.
Scawen, is it possible to read additional mouse buttons and assign them as controls?
Quote from Andreas Grauel :Hi Scawen,

I should have said that when U11 came out, but i totally forgot about it. U added a function to rename Setups correct? What about the function to create folders? I would like to sort my Setups in Folders... for example...

Pit Screen -> Kyoto -> National
and then i see there maybe three or four setups... different Quali and race sets maybe. That would make it a lot easier.

Hope it is not a double post i read through everything and couldnt find this request.

*EDIT*
Again i forgot about something... the same function would be good for Replays. So you can sort them after Leagues/Events and maybe a rename function for replays would be good as well

I do know that came up a lot of times... but not in the U Testpatches so i just wanted to remind ya

Same here. Been waiting those things for ages
Scawen, great work as always.

Sorry to be a pain, but on the 1st page, post #20, I posted the following:

Quote from Plastik8 :(On Topic) Request: This is a great feature. I was wondering if it would be possible to display the time in-game perhaps?? Similar in style to the fps meter? I don't use cockpit views for most of the cars so the in-dash cockpit analogue clocks aren't viewable for me.

Other than that, great work as always Scawen

I know you're extremely busy, just thought you may have missed it....

Feel free to delete this post when you read it

Thanks
would it be possible to implement a function to export your current control settings to a script file ? (buttons, axes, views, ...) Could be handy to start editing from such a exported script file, maybe you could also choose which settings to export. Just an idea that came to my mind, what do u think ?
Quote from Octane :would it be possible to implement a function to export your current control settings to a script file ? (buttons, axes, views, ...) Could be handy to start editing from such a exported script file, maybe you could also choose which settings to export. Just an idea that came to my mind, what do u think ?

+999 altought i don't think scawen is willing to implement it (at least in this patch), because i guess it will need quite much work
#11 - axus
Thanks for the update - I got a little bug with the previous patches as well though - restarting a replay when loading it using windows associations doesn't work. It just freezes on the first frame.
#12 - SamH
Window while connecting
Might it be possible to change the default for "Window while connecting" to [no]? I use fullscreen most of the time, but not all. With the default being set to [yes], the window size is changed if I'm in fullscreen mode. When it's set to [no], it's not changed (whether I'm in fullscreen mode or not). It's a really minor thing, but 14 test patches in, it's the only thing I find myself having to re-set every time.

Basically, "Window while connecting: [no]" causes the least disruption for everyone, fullscreeners or windowers.
#13 - axus
Quote from SamH :Might it be possible to change the default for "Window while connecting" to [no]? I use fullscreen most of the time, but not all. With the default being set to [yes], the window size is changed if I'm in fullscreen mode. When it's set to [no], it's not changed (whether I'm in fullscreen mode or not). It's a really minor thing, but 14 test patches in, it's the only thing I find myself having to re-set every time.

Basically, "Window while connecting: [no]" causes the least disruption for everyone, fullscreeners or windowers.

Its because of firewall problems - if it wasn't defaulted to [yes] people with firewalls would wonder why LFS freezes when they go to multiplayer.
#14 - SamH
Quote from axus :Its because of firewall problems - if it wasn't defaulted to [yes] people with firewalls would wonder why LFS freezes when they go to multiplayer.

Oooh right! I didn't realise that. I'll hush

[edit] The ability to place scripts in subfolders is much appreciated! I can get my scripts categorised and avoid knee-deep clutter. Thanks Scawen!
I'm not sure if this is a compatible request or not... . Is it possible to split qualifying from practice to give some sort of structure to a race event . E.g you'll set praccy time of 60 min , then seperatley quali time of 15 and then your race distance . So in praccy if you vote to qualify you move onto the set quali time and from there to the race .

If above is not possible , maybe to display times in praccy mode like in quali ?

Thanks , please move post if its not possible to do or to waaay OT.
#16 - clp
Quote from sil3ntwar :could alt+f4 exit the game? I dont believe that combo is being used and i always push it when i want to exit but i keep forgetting it does nothing

it already does do something
alt f4 takes you to cockpit view

CLP
#17 - ste_
Joining server when Master Server is down.
When you choose to race online there are two options:

1) Multiplayer > Display List of Games (which queries the master server)
2) Multiplayer > Join Specific Game (where the last server you joined's details are, or where you can enter your own IP)

When Joining Specific Game, for some reason LFS still tries to connect to the Master Server. (I know this because when the Master Server was down and I tried to join the last server I was playing on using Join Specific Game, LFS tried to connect to the Master Server before timing out cuz it was unreachable).

Would it be possible when Joining Specific Game, that LFS didn't need to connect to the Master Server, and just tried the IP striaght off? This would atleast let us connect to the last server we were on when the Master Server is unreachable.
Quote from ste_ :When you choose to race online there are two options:

1) Multiplayer > Display List of Games (which queries the master server)
2) Multiplayer > Join Specific Game (where the last server you joined's details are, or where you can enter your own IP)

When Joining Specific Game, for some reason LFS still tries to connect to the Master Server. (I know this because when the Master Server was down and I tried to join the last server I was playing on using Join Specific Game, LFS tried to connect to the Master Server before timing out cuz it was unreachable).

Would it be possible when Joining Specific Game, that LFS didn't need to connect to the Master Server, and just tried the IP striaght off? This would atleast let us connect to the last server we were on when the Master Server is unreachable.

Don't think that could be possible, if what you ask is done then ppl using cracks could play S2 online
#19 - ste_
Quote from RiGun :Don't think that could be possible, if what you ask is done then ppl using cracks could play S2 online

Hmm I didn't realise this feature was for pirate-protection. But OK, even if it is, can't LFS somehow remember if the server info in "Join Specific Game" came previously from a server that I had joined from the Master Server list and if the master server times out, connect me anyway?

Or maybe this is just a stupid idea
suggestion:
show tyre compound when F9 menu is on (abbreviation maybe)
Scawen, can u make this menu translatable?

RGDS
feature request
scawen, i know you are gonna hate me ( ), but may i ask if it is possible to add an option to have a wider virtual mirror? that should compensate the lack of lateral visual when using realistic views like cockpit view
Afaik the virutal mirror already shows everything that gets calculated, while the rear mirrors only show a portion of the virtual one.
Scawen, a little improvement suggestion about speedometer. heres an example:You select to show in KMH but it could be KMH and MPH together, but the font of KMH would be bigger and if u choose MPH , then MPH is in bigger font, but kmh is smaller font. Its for analog style speedometer, dunno about digital. hope you understand me
Other autocross objects
So, now it's possible to restrict autocross layouts without numerous long barriers. Maybe it's time to modify them a bit? The red-white barriers are copies of those plastic (I don't know, may be IRL they can be filled with water to add weight), but in LFS they are non-movable. It would be more realistic to re-add them, now with real weights along with concrete blocks.
This thread is closed

(92 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG