The online racing simulator
Cleanup : Off topic requests
(92 posts, closed, started )
#26 - axus
Quote from detail :So, now it's possible to restrict autocross layouts without numerous long barriers. Maybe it's time to modify them a bit? The red-white barriers are copies of those plastic (I don't know, may be IRL they can be filled with water to add weight), but in LFS they are non-movable. It would be more realistic to re-add them, now with real weights along with concrete blocks.

Doubt that will be multiplayer compatible. I'm pretty sure the marshal objects were already there, albiet not in the autox editor. Fixing the red/white barriers would indeed be nice though, as they spoil a lot of the fun in autocross.
Quote from Scawen :Yes, this is for a reset function I've coded but can't include yet because it's incompatible. In the next incompatible version, the host can select /canreset=no [that is the default setting] or /canreset=yes. If resetting is allowed then it is basically an arcade option (literally, this is for people who want to run LFS in an arcade or at a show, and don't want first time users stuck in the sand at every corner before they learn where the brake pedal is). It also fixes damage and takes the user out of a sand trap or long grass. This can cause intersecting car issues so I've coded up that safety system.

So... yes, that message means you have pressed reset and the game will not allow you to because you will hit another car / your position would cause a yellow flag for someone else, etc...

Great This would make it easier for league admins to stop people resetting when on their rooves. By any chance, would it be possible to have an anti-SHIFT-S thing? It would probably use similar code, but I have no idea really. However, if you do that, please do it after your well deserved cup of tea
Quote from duke_toaster : By any chance, would it be possible to have an anti-SHIFT-S thing?

I'm not sure how it's done but there is a banger racing server that will kick you if you ever do shift s while currently in the race.
UKdirt LFS Bangers.
Yeah you have to spectate then pit or you get kicked off.
Duke, I don't think Scawen deserves a cup of tea... I think he deserves a few pints of beer. I think the /carreset function will be much used when I show LFS to my friends, becuase they have a habit of "ZOMG, I'M RUNNING INTO THE WALL EVERY CORNER, THIS GAME SUX!" but then they love it after a few pit in/outs and realize that there are more pedals than the Throttle.
Bug : motricity on ramps
Hello !

I haven't seen it already pointed : on an autocross layout, when going on a ramp, the wheel don't have any grip... It might be a bug....

Anyway, love your job !!
Yeah because in real life when going up a ramp the car does have grip so that should be sorted. The ramps are too flimsy, even if you close them pretty much totally together you still fall through sometimes. I think the ramps need working on, and I also think you should implement ramps on all track not just Blackwood (something i've been wanting for ages)
Also a few new autocross items would be cool too.
And changeable alloys.(but nothing else changeable or we're turning into NFS
@Bruno & nutty boy: This is known for a pretty long time now. The problem is, changing the grip on these objects (if that's easily possible) would mean the patch is INCOMPATIBLE.

Thus your suggestions belong to "improvement suggestions", not this patch thread.
This might seem petty, but I'm sure it'd only be small to fix.. The indicator lights on the cars that have them.. The 'Hazard' mode (9) turns itself off sometimes, which wouldn' thappen in reallife. The left/right ones would turn off when the wheel is turned left-right/right-left, to cancel the indication, but this wouldn't happen for hazards.

Is this simple to fix? It's just something that always seems to happen to me which makes me remember it's unrealistic. (And, when my car is bust and I'm heading for pits, I turn hazards on, so people can see I'm not 'racing'.. Then they turn themeselves off at the most annoying moment)

Again, just an idea that I figure would not incompatibilize* the patch

*Word Added to the BlackSpider's Earth Survival Guide.
Erm, hazards or even the indicators have never turned themselves off while I was playing. Are you sure you're not somewhere accidently turning them off yourself?
#36 - Vain
About the "automatically off going indicators":
In the 80th era cars indicators are made with relays and the complete mechanism weighs a fair bit (new cars do this with transistors, which weight about nothing). Thus a lot of people remove it. This is also handy because in trackday racing you sometimes indicate for several turns when you're letting people pass.

However, it'd be very nice if the indicator-buttons worked as triggers. So pressing 7 starts the indicator, pressing 7 again disables the indicator. Currently I need 4 scriptfiles for these two functions (indicate left and indicate right), which would be reduced to one single file.

Vain
Quote from AndroidXP :Erm, hazards or even the indicators have never turned themselves off while I was playing. Are you sure you're not somewhere accidently turning them off yourself?

Yep, I'm positive. It seems random to me, but maybe it's timed. Either way, I can sit my car in the grass, go for a brew, and when I come back they're off. (Sometimes)...

Perhaps Scawwy can shed some light on the mysterious indicator-light ghostie?
Quote from Vain :About the "automatically off going indicators":
In the 80th era cars indicators are made with relays and the complete mechanism weighs a fair bit (new cars do this with transistors, which weight about nothing). Thus a lot of people remove it. This is also handy because in trackday racing you sometimes indicate for several turns when you're letting people pass.

However, it'd be very nice if the indicator-buttons worked as triggers. So pressing 7 starts the indicator, pressing 7 again disables the indicator. Currently I need 4 scriptfiles for these two functions (indicate left and indicate right), which would be reduced to one single file.

Vain

Re the toggle button setup...

Yes, I agree. I did make a crappy script file for Joy2Key to do this, which allowed me to turn left on/off, right on/off, or press left/right to turn hazards on/off.. But I lost my config file, so bleh.

(Joy2Key, for those who don't know what it is, allows you to bind any key/key combo/key cycle to any signal from your controller (Button/Pedal/Wheel). Handy for having Button 11 cycle from F9/10/11/12 and back again... Google it to find a link. (Great for people who hate Logitech Profiler, but have a moomoo)
#39 - Don
the turn indicators turn off automatically when you hit a car / barrier - i dont know if thats on purpose or a bug, but its been like that since S2
Scawen, we need visual dirt on tires for next patch, it will be easy to code (for you) and awesome for all drivers

Please, please, please
#41 - axus
Quote from Phlos :Scawen, we need visual dirt on tires for next patch, it will be easy to code (for you) and awesome for all drivers

Please, please, please

Woah, atleast try to stay relatively on topic when posting non-urgent suggestions in this section.
Heck, I think for now we would be happy with 3 textures, a "clean" a "medium" and a "dirty" texture judging by the bars, clean would be 0, medium would be 1-50%, and dirty would be 50.1-100%.

Yes it's non urgent, but I think that a simple system like that (or seems simple to me) would be accepted by the vast majority of us for now.
Quote from axus :Woah, atleast try to stay relatively on topic when posting non-urgent suggestions in this section.

Yes but it's a big lack since the beginning of LFS...

Tires with "Michelin" (or other names) was less important than visual dirty tires IMO
would it be possible to make the positions list on the right side scrollable? with either page up and page down or arrow keys or numpad or whatever is best and not yet used.

I am struggling to see the gaps when they are displayed, nor can I see the name of the drivers, could be down to my eyesight decreasing, but with 20 players in race they do become quite small, don'T they?

I am on 1024*768 on a 17 inch CRT.

so the suggestion would be an option to choose the scrollable positions list with the default size locked.

it could also be made to autoscroll if desired, but that could also get quite annoying if you have changed the position with the assigned keys before. Could be made autoscroll on default, but when the assigned keys are used it would override the position and stay so until the end of the race.

sorry if this was requested before, I haven't seen it in this patch thread yet.

cheers
dedicated server

please, add time show when connected users to host and other

make rank stat for local dedi-server
Quote from MonkOnHotTinRoof :It would be very useful, if typed text would not be shown in public, if it is prefixed with some character, for example "!". Like "/", but it would work also for non-admins, too. Some InSim apps already use "!" as a prefix of commands, but it can be quite annoying, when lots of players start to type these commands...

InSim apps could then use that even for team (group) only communication...

If you mean chat channels known from other online games, then pretty please yes. Private messages and Team messages are quite important things in LFS too, I think. Example: If we wanted to discuss pitstop strategy with teammates, we had to switch to MSN during some league race. Same when my teammate acted like a fool, and I really didn't want to teach him in front of other players.

Yes please hide !text. Chat will be free of spam. Great suggestion.
Quote from RAYfighter :Yes please hide !text. Chat will be free of spam. Great suggestion.

You'll also have a whole lot of users not knowing/finding out what commands are available, and a whole lot of "type !this to do that".
And while we're on the subject of chat/chatlog, how about a scrollback buffer? sometimes there's alot of spamming/info and you might miss something.. pgup/pgdn to scroll would work for me
Quote from filur :You'll also have a whole lot of users not knowing/finding out what commands are available, and a whole lot of "type !this to do that".

I don't wanna spam here by explaining obvious things. But this sounds like a FAQ, so: you can have !help in any decent InSim addon, which will be sent privately. You expect a lot of newbie questions, I expected some as well. But from my experience, if someone sends !top on LFSlapper powered servers for example, all noobs hurry to follow with 10 lines of !top plus your newbie questions as well.

I only see few problems, but many advantages. So in summary i call it the great idea.
Quote from filur :You'll also have a whole lot of users not knowing/finding out what commands are available, and a whole lot of "type !this to do that".

That is why we have welcome messages and !help command . If users only see others typing !this , they usually don't see results, so it doesn't help them much anyway...

Quote from felplacerad :
And while we're on the subject of chat/chatlog, how about a scrollback buffer? sometimes there's alot of spamming/info and you might miss something.. pgup/pgdn to scroll would work for me

If upper suggestion was implemented, it may help reducing spam a little . Sure, increasing scrollback buffer would be nice in any case.
This thread is closed

Cleanup : Off topic requests
(92 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG