The online racing simulator
Please do report crashes
(115 posts, started )
Please do report crashes
Hello everyone!

Please do report crashes if you ever get one. We must catch every crash as they are the worst kind of bug.

On modern Windows it may look as if LFS has simply vanished. But there should be some more information that you can give me that can often lead me to the exact line of code that caused the crash.

That information may be found in the Windows Event Viewer. You can start the event viewer by typing "Event Viewer" in your search bar. Then in there you may find the information about the "Event" that was LFS crashing.

The sort of thing that I need to see is this lovely looking information:

Faulting application name: LFS.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x61aa28de
Faulting module name: LFS.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x61aa28de
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Offset Error: 0x000352fb

That is just the best thing you can give me after a crash. Instead of being a nervous wreck of a programmer, whose program has just crashed without a trace, I may be able to find the problem and fix it! Big grin
LFS Editor just crashed when I was setting up a new mapping based on a drag box, I selected the area with the right mouse button and clicked on NEW mapping button

Faulting application name: LFS_EDITOR.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x61b0ee17
Faulting module name: ntdll.dll, version: 10.0.19041.1288, time stamp: 0x027db076
Exception code: 0xc0000374
Offset Error: 0x000e6c43
Faulting process id: 0x3f3c
Faulting application start time: 0x01d7ec5cd4f0fb70
Faulting application path: D:\LFS\LFS_EDITOR\LFS_EDITOR.exe
Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll
Report Id: e2dd96db-bd25-4285-a56d-fafc5cf34ccc
Thank you for this but unfortunately as the crash was in the module ntdll.dll, in this case I can't trace it back to the LFS code that caused the crash.

Are you able to reproduce the crash by any means? If there is a way to reproduce it reliably then for sure I can fix it.
#4 - VladM
loaded up a server, drove 30 seconds, then suddenly crashed. tried to load back in the server and as soon as i load in it crashes. server was "just a ride", game works now

Faulting application name: LFS.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x61bafeec
Faulting module name: LFS.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x61bafeec
Fault offset: 0x000a58a6
Faulting process id: 0xdb0
Faulting application start time: 0x01d7f365e61215cf
Faulting application path: E:\Games\LFS3\LFS.exe
Faulting module path: E:\Games\LFS3\LFS.exe
Report Id: 5b20f876-fdf2-4b95-89ce-3c03b3960187
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:
Thank you, with this information I have found the cause of this crash.

It is related to a car that was not yet loaded on your computer. I don't think this one will come up too often. I've made a note to fix this one in the next update.
Hello

So I was loading A bunch of modded race cars in Rockingham. But the game crashed as it was loading the track. I think it has to do with the track. But can you figure it out please, thank you
If you know a way to make the crash happen every time then it seems likely that I could fix it. If I can reproduce a crash then I can almost certainly fix it. Best of all if I can catch it in the debugger.

On the other hand if it only happened once, it is less likely that I can fix it. But if you can provide the information requested in the first post (above) then that likelihood will be greatly increased! Smile Sometimes the crash address can lead me to the line of code that encountered a problem.
#8 - Zero7
Every now and then I've been getting LFS locking up using mods. The game freezes and the engine sound loops, after a short while, say between 15 and 30 seconds the game resumes. The next time it happens I'll report here with the mod name, at what point it locked (with a screenshot) and how long it locked for. Is there anything else you'd need? Logs?
I was changing to another car in Just a Ride Server and LFS suddenly crashed. Version 0.7A

Faulting process id: 0x239c
Faulting application start time: 0x01d81ff02443d43e
Faulting application path: F:\LFS\LFS.exe
Faulting module path: F:\LFS\LFS.exe
Report Id: 35cd1e87-44de-4ca9-be2a-8795fd6880e4

Quote from Zero7 :Every now and then I've been getting LFS locking up using mods. The game freezes and the engine sound loops, after a short while, say between 15 and 30 seconds the game resumes. The next time it happens I'll report here with the mod name, at what point it locked (with a screenshot) and how long it locked for. Is there anything else you'd need? Logs?

I think the only thing that could help at this point is the name of the mod, in case that was responsible.

Hangs that eventually recover are most likely something to do with memory access, maybe the RAM has been getting full and it was swapped to disc, so took some time to recover when that memory had to be accessed again. Or any number of hangs due to accessing the hard drive, that LFS can't really control. This case would be most likely if you had been on a server for a long time. Though I don't remember hearing much about long hangs. Also it's more likely if you have a HDD rather than an SSD and that HDD is getting full or your haven't defragged it recently. Though I know some computers simply do hang quite a bit. My main computer doesn't hang much at all, although it is old, but a budget laptop we have frequently hangs for a long time while performing the simplest of operations.

Quote from redbot_ :I was changing to another car in Just a Ride Server and LFS suddenly crashed. Version 0.7A

Thank you for the info.

In fact this is the same one reported by VladM above, so that was fixed in December test patches.
Got this crash after joining TC server. Got connected to server and first messages appeared, but screen was still black. Then after a few seconds LFS crashed.

Version 0.7B

Faulting application name: LFS.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x62094aea
Faulting module name: LFS.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x62094aea
Fault offset: 0x00035e7d

Thank you, this did lead me to the line of code and I found a way this could happen. For interest, it seems to be related to a mod, not yet loaded on your computer, having damage repaired in a pit stop.
I've been working on a model in blender. I import it to LFS from time to time just to check that everything is ok, but this time it crashes every time i try to import the model. I hope i can find the fault in the model as i've put a lot of work into it already!

Faulting application name: LFS_EDITOR.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x61869bd1
Faulting module name: LFS_EDITOR.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x61869bd1
Exception code: 0xc0000095
Fault offset: 0x0001c1ec
Faulting process id: 0x8fdc
Faulting application start time: 0x01d82853e5fa2ff4
Faulting application path: C:\LFS_EDITOR\LFS_EDITOR.exe
Faulting module path: C:\LFS_EDITOR\LFS_EDITOR.exe
Report Id: 2bbd86b2-6ffe-48dc-b156-67d1985b13d9
Thanks. I see that exception code in an integer overflow. Could it be that a very large triangle or distant point has crept into the model somehow?

If it happens every time you try to import the obj, I should be able to catch it in the debugger if you send the obj to us.

But first, I see from the timestamp that you are using an old version of the editor, in fact it's W43. We are on a much later version now. Without looking through the change log, there's a chance that a bug was fixed.

With LFS, it's best to get the latest version! I'm not like a lot of software companies, take out X bugs and add 2X bugs. I'm more like, take out 3 bugs and add 1. Big grin

There's a direct patch for 6W43 to 7A2 in this post:
https://www.lfs.net/forum/thread/95664
Quote from Scawen :Thanks. I see that exception code in an integer overflow. Could it be that a very large triangle or distant point has crept into the model somehow?

If it happens every time you try to import the obj, I should be able to catch it in the debugger if you send the obj to us.

But first, I see from the timestamp that you are using an old version of the editor, in fact it's W43. We are on a much later version now. Without looking through the change log, there's a chance that a bug was fixed.

With LFS, it's best to get the latest version! I'm not like a lot of software companies, take out X bugs and add 2X bugs. I'm more like, take out 3 bugs and add 1. Big grin

There's a direct patch for 6W43 to 7A2 in this post:
https://www.lfs.net/forum/thread/95664

I updated the editor, but still no luck. I also can not find any distant or large objects in the file. There's the main object, 4 reference pictures and a light source (those weren't causing issues before either). The problem occured when i was working on the rear of the car and adding all of the scoops that you see on the car. It's my first time working in blender, so i am not yet familiar with all the ways you can screw a model up. Big grin
Attached files
MclarenM8D2.rar - 178.8 KB - 188 views
Thanks, but for some reason I can't open that rar file (though I can usually). Maybe try again with a zip or 7zip?

EDIT: By the way, I don't know what's in the file but the only thing I hope to test is the obj file that crashes the editor. Because crashes should never happen.
I managed to import it by just turning the model -90 degrees in blender and then exporting it again.
Quote from Scawen :Thanks, but for some reason I can't open that rar file (though I can usually). Maybe try again with a zip or 7zip?

EDIT: By the way, I don't know what's in the file but the only thing I hope to test is the obj file that crashes the editor. Because crashes should never happen.

Here's the .obj inside of a .zip instead of a rar.
Attached files
MclarenM8D2.zip - 241.9 KB - 138 views
Thanks, I've reproduced a crash in the debugger.

In fact the obj file is kind of corrupted as some of the vertices have the value "nan nan nan" for X,Y,Z. By the way, an obj file is actually a text file so you can view it in notepad.

But nan just means "not a number". I'm not sure what to do or suggest yet but thought I'd report this so far.
I think this might be the culprit. The edge flow is wrong (my mistake). That is why if i import the obj back into blender and then export it to lfs it works, but it creates some weird planes. Maybe this helps you stop the editor from crashing in these cases Smile

Attached images
unknown.png
unknown1.png
Thanks for the info and good to know you can fix the issue in your model.

I'll try to adjust the editor now, to deal with this without crashing. Maybe it could interpret "nan" as zero or something like that. I'll check.

EDIT: Future versions of the editor will handle nan or infinite vertex values, interpreting them as zero. With this fix I was able to load the model.
Thank you for the help!
A crash happened after loading a track, minimising the game and coming back to it (not sure at what point it exactly happened), using LFS 0.7B8

Název chybující aplikace: LFS.exe, verze: 0.0.0.0, časové razítko: 0x6239e93c
Název chybujícího modulu: LFS.exe, verze: 0.0.0.0, časové razítko: 0x6239e93c
Kód výjimky: 0xc0000005
Posun chyby: 0x00064fd6
ID chybujícího procesu: 0x2a4
Čas spuštění chybující aplikace: 0x01d842c733ceb90a
Cesta k chybující aplikaci: D:\Hry\Live for Speed\LFS\LFS.exe
Cesta k chybujícímu modulu: D:\Hry\Live for Speed\LFS\LFS.exe
ID zprávy: 57cddf63-b461-4576-9550-d2697eb4c7f8
Úplný název chybujícího balíčku:
ID aplikace související s chybujícím balíčkem:

Thanks for the report, but unfortunately from this one I can only see that it was trying to loading an integer from a file. If it's reproducible that would be great. It seems extremely rare so might not be very important but maybe worth a quick go if you can remember the situation.

Some questions that come to mind:

1) Which track was it?
2) Single player or multiplayer?
2) Was the track fully loaded before minimising?
3) Was a layout loading for the selected config?
4) Maybe the file that was loading could have been a car or mod (on the game setup screen)
hi, my screen turns black in like 3 seconds and then the game closes without any message, but this is what event viewer told me:

Faulting application name: LFS.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x62501fa8
Faulting module name: D3D9.dll, version: 10.0.19041.1566, time stamp: 0x7dc0c380
Fault offset: 0x0004d093
Faulting process ID: 0x3b58
Faulting application start time: 0x01d84cf925daef68
Faulting application path: Z:\LFS\LFS\LFS.exe
Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\D3D9.dll
Report ID: 8edbc2b6-100d-498c-926b-4c3d93105c99

Please do report crashes
(115 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG