The online racing simulator
lfs editor: suggestions.
(36 posts, started )
Hi Racers/Devs.

Recent testing the patch and editor and works fine!.

I just have some ideas or suggestions to improve the editor.

-For example add a floor texture instead of a gray floor.

-To be able to edit in Model Editor mode (e) parts of the car independently when selecting it. for example when we enter edit mode, we see thousands of points to be able to modify, making it a bit dizzy when editing.

-The idea is to select a headlight, a door, a roof, or some part of the car and that only shows the points of that mesh for example.

-Editing the points of the polygons while the rest of the points are displayed causes fatigue and confusion.

Post opened for anothers ideas Smile lfs revive with this mods support?? Big grin
Quote from Davikasy :-For example add a floor texture instead of a gray floor.

Would that be something like, an option to display the "Background image" for TOP view on the ground, when you are in 3D view?

About background images: https://www.lfs.net/ed_man/modeller.htm

Or would it need to be a separate option? Also, what is the purpose of it? Just for looks or some kind of real purpose.

Quote from Davikasy :
-To be able to edit in Model Editor mode (e) parts of the car independently when selecting it. for example when we enter edit mode, we see thousands of points to be able to modify, making it a bit dizzy when editing.

-The idea is to select a headlight, a door, a roof, or some part of the car and that only shows the points of that mesh for example.

-Editing the points of the polygons while the rest of the points are displayed causes fatigue and confusion.

You should use "Hide selected" or "Hide unselected" points and triangles.

Make sure you know about the useful functions that are often useful "Select selection's points" (tri mode) and "Select connected triangles" (point mode) as these are sometimes helpful when hiding (and at other times).
You can also move triangles to different layers (the set of orange buttons on top left) by selecting the triangles and clicking one of the layer buttons. Then you can show only those layers that you want to see. You can rename the layer by right-clicking the layer button.

Also, you can create subobjects, which can then be worked on independently - see the Moving parts of a model to a different model section in the modeller manual.
In my opinion too much time shouldnt be spent on improving the modeller. Most people will probably use other 3D software to model.

What is very wanted by everyone though is better texturing. Project from view is not the best UV approach in all situations. Even better would be the ability to import both UV maps and textures from other software.
The idea was to be able to switch between various floor textures to make a better contrast. I still have a lot to learn from the editor. but at the moment I love it, and get to do some Restyling of the XFG and brutal FZR changes.
I know it is definitely a completely different construction site and I do not want to kidnap the topic, but it is worth addressing it here.

May we hope that sometime the in-game layout editor will eventually be "opened" for modding?
Quote from Xenix74 :May we hope that sometime the in-game layout editor will eventually be "opened" for modding?

I was thinking about it too but then I realized if mods for layout objects will be allowed, people may trying to cut full track models into pieces and then put them together in lyt editor.
Ability to select multiple points for example suspension points. It would be used for moving whole suspension in a car at once without destroying angles.
# Add obj like subobject
# Testing de sound of engine
Quote from ClasK_03 :In my opinion too much time shouldnt be spent on improving the modeller. Most people will probably use other 3D software to model.

What is very wanted by everyone though is better texturing. Project from view is not the best UV approach in all situations. Even better would be the ability to import both UV maps and textures from other software.

This imo is really important. Not just for the base skin but also other stuff. Like many cars have convoluted carbon fibre parts that could easily be mapped with some small tiled texture, but using project from view would yield awfully stretched results. In Blender, if set up well with seams, making a minimum stretch mapping needs a single click.
Yes! the possibility of importing UV maps would be a huge time saving.
X-Post from https://www.lfs.net/forum/post/1970404#post1970404

Quote :Quote from knzzlfs :
Seria possível adicionar uma opção de válvulas variáveis ​​(Motor K20 da VTEC Honda, por exemplo) nas configurações do motor?
Algo que me permite aumentar o torque em uma determinada rotação (RPM).
Uma dica, por exemplo, seria negar o tipo de dano no motor ao atingir a rotação "X", melhorando assim o torque e, dito isso, a potência também

Quote :Quote from notsosideways :
I don't know Portuguese, but I can make out enough of this post to be very much in agreement. Since we can play with cam profiles in Editor, it'd be great to have a secondary cam profile that can be changed over to at a chosen RPM. excellent way to simulate VVL/VTEC/VVTL-i and I'd be incredibly excited to see this officially supported. K20 all the cars!

Please excuse the double-posting, but I'd really like to see this feature implemented as a first-party option. Any and all considerations, related suggestions and feedback is of course highly appreciated!
Have tested editor and cars a bit. Very fun. Some recurring issue I am seeing are
1. Inaccurate front suspension, most of the cars are trailing arm in the front, (error of mod creators, however the default is linear, which converts to trailing arm ingame, maybe default suspension could be changed, or mod creators could be more informed on what suspension they should choose).
Only 2-d wishbone suspension with no seeming toe sweep through suspension travel, not sure if 3-d is possible, or any toe sweep is possible but it would be nice to be able to make more realistic suspension.

2. Clutches, doesn't seem as there is a place to modify clutch pressure/how much torque they can hold, pretty much all of the modified cars just burn the clutch if they have more power than stock. This one is a big letdown for some of the mods.
Not sure if we can already enable this, but can we include the weight and intake restrictions from the info tab on the setup screen via the editor?

Reason is I'm creating the Gibson Group A R32 GTR soon, and want to include the weight restrictions it had for the default setups ( weight restrictions varied between 90 to 92 ). Also power varied aswell between the years.
Quote from Dhawl :Have tested editor and cars a bit. Very fun. Some recurring issue I am seeing are
1. Inaccurate front suspension, most of the cars are trailing arm in the front, (error of mod creators, however the default is linear, which converts to trailing arm ingame, maybe default suspension could be changed, or mod creators could be more informed on what suspension they should choose).
Only 2-d wishbone suspension with no seeming toe sweep through suspension travel, not sure if 3-d is possible, or any toe sweep is possible but it would be nice to be able to make more realistic suspension.

2. Clutches, doesn't seem as there is a place to modify clutch pressure/how much torque they can hold, pretty much all of the modified cars just burn the clutch if they have more power than stock. This one is a big letdown for some of the mods.

Gotta agree with these points. The suspension is definitively a problem for beginners lol
Clutch upgrades to take more power and bite would be super cool if its possible. more small features like that in the vehicle editor that could really allow you to take builds to the next level would really improve mod feel and quality.
Quote from mpantel :Not sure if we can already enable this, but can we include the weight and intake restrictions from the info tab on the setup screen via the editor?

You can. Example for this is the LCT3000 Truck It comes with 2 Default Setups - Empty and Loaded, the "Loaded" has automatically adjusted Handicap - Voluntary Added Mass 200Kg.

I tested it right now and figured out how to do it. ( there might be other way but I could thing of only this method right now)

1. You make the setup inside LFS Game.
2. Copy the setup from LFS\data\setups
3. Paste the setup to Editor\data\setups

Now inside the editor.
4. Click on the button "dup" ( I recommend clicking the button "dup" and load the custom setup you made, over the "duped" one so, you can have backup with the default one if something goes wrong )
4.1 Load the setup by clicking "Load" in Editor like the picture below.
4.2 You can change the setup name by RIGHT Clicking with the mouse over the "[unnamed]" setup

After everything is done, you can test it ingame by "TEST Mod In LFS" And see actually that it comes like default setup.

Legend man! thanks for that. That will be useful for then i include exact specs for different years for group a cars.

Quote from superlame :You can. Example for this is the LCT3000 Truck It comes with 2 Default Setups - Empty and Loaded, the "Loaded" has automatically adjusted Handicap - Voluntary Added Mass 200Kg.

I tested it right now and figured out how to do it. ( there might be other way but I could thing of only this method right now)

Now inside the editor.
4. Click on the button "dup" ( I recommend clicking the button "dup" and load the custom setup you made, over the "duped" one so, you can have backup with the default one if something goes wrong )
4.2 You can change the setup name by RIGHT Clicking with the mouse over the "[unnamed]" setup

After everything is done, you can test it ingame by "TEST Mod In LFS" And see actually that it comes like default setup.

Quote from mpantel :Legend man! thanks for that. That will be useful for then i include exact specs for different years for group a cars.

No problem, you can edit your quote btw and delete the imgur links if you want, they take a quite a lot of space on the page and look a bit spammy.
Quote from superlame :You can. Example for this is the LCT3000 Truck It comes with 2 Default Setups - Empty and Loaded, the "Loaded" has automatically adjusted Handicap - Voluntary Added Mass 200Kg.

Now inside the editor.

Thank u! Big grin
i wish we could have more selection tools:
Select by smoothing group
Select by maps (ie in "map" section add a button that say "select related tris")
Select object: the tris of a certain isolated group of tris would select at once.
Selection "grow", "loop", "edge" as 3D studio have.
etc.

This kind of selection tools would make the mapping process less time consuming or even modelling process.

ps: in the mapping video tutorial i seen a quick selection of a planar face, i couldnt find the way to do it so if you can help would be great.
Select by smoothing group - Shift + click on a group number
Select by map - Shift + click on a mapping in tris mode
Select surrounding triangles of the same group - Ctrl + Shift + click
I just noticed that skins bundled with mods are automatically downscaled to 1024x1024.

Would it be possible to keep them at least at 2048x2048?
Quote from Flame CZE :Select by smoothing group - Shift + click on a group number
Select by map - Shift + click on a mapping in tris mode
Select surrounding triangles of the same group - Ctrl + Shift + click

Great, tnx mate! very useful shortcuts, were can i see all of them? tnx in advance

(36 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG