The online racing simulator
#1 - p1u
Best solution for wreckers/amateurs?
It would be nice to have servers like:

Beginners - can join all
Professional - only players who drive all training courses (those should take like few days, but I think this bring some clean racing)

Bad or good idea?:E
Quote from p1u :It would be nice to have servers like:

Beginners - can join all
Professional - only players who drive all training courses (those should take like few days, but I think this bring some clean racing)

Bad or good idea?:E

No. The licence test things belong only in Gran Turismo 892,465 : The real Nissan Skyline Simulator.
#3 - Woz
Quote from duke_toaster :No. The licence test things belong only in Gran Turismo 892,465 : The real Nissan Skyline Simulator.

Do they?

Have you thought that the devs took away credits and put in the tests. I have a feeling on the full release tests WILL be required to unlock the cars. You used to have to use credits to unlock cars but then you might not have played S1 to know this looking at your join date.

If unlocking does come in it will solve loads because a wreckers/noobs will never pass the clean passing tests in the big cars until they can control the cars.
#4 - jarre
+1

I like this idea, cause I often get bothered with people that can't control their car properly.

Earlier I posted a thread whare I suggested that the host should have a possibility to set a minimum best lap. like you would have to have driven 56:00 or faster around the specific track to get in. When entering a server (with that ''filter''), your best driven time on that track would get compared with the required time set on the server.

This would help to sort out good drivers and raise the chances of clean races.

What do you think about that?
Quote from jarre :+1

I like this idea, cause I often get bothered with people that can't control their car properly.

Earlier I posted a thread whare I suggested that the host should have a possibility to set a minimum best lap. like you would have to have driven 56:00 or faster around the specific track to get in. When entering a server (with that ''filter''), your best driven time on that track would get compared with the required time set on the server.

This would help to sort out good drivers and raise the chances of clean races.

What do you think about that?

then you'd have to drive every car and every track, and get a good time on every car/track. that means you might have a problem.

the tests are pretty easy though, i don't think it should be used. We can have the admins ban wreckers
Quote from Woz :Do they?

Have you thought that the devs took away credits and put in the tests. I have a feeling on the full release tests WILL be required to unlock the cars. You used to have to use credits to unlock cars but then you might not have played S1 to know this looking at your join date.

If unlocking does come in it will solve loads because a wreckers/noobs will never pass the clean passing tests in the big cars until they can control the cars.

Certainly hope not. And this has been discussed before. Many others feel the same way I believe. Passing a bunch of stupid offline tests does nothing for learning how to race. I'd rather have to watch a bunch of videos or something that teaches someone the rules of racing than those tests.

I get an hour or 2 in the evenings to race or do whatever I want after the kids go to bed. I'll turn the computer on and what? Should I spend my time screwing around with a stupid test to unlock another car? Or just go online with the flight sim and actually enjoy myself? By S2 final, I'll have been driving the FZR for probably over two years. I don't think I need to "learn" how to drive it to go online. I certainly don't need to go through all the other stuff I'll never use just to drive my FZR. Don't have time, nor don't have the patience.

I seriously don't think the devs would do this after S2 has been released for almost a year already now. Yea, I've got 20,000+ miles driven in the FZR and I'd have to do a bunch of noob tests when final is released? illepall No thank you, I'll just go play something else that I've paid for without pissing around with stupid stuff.
-
(thisnameistaken) DELETED by thisnameistaken
#7 - Noccy
I've said this before, but cant LFS use some kind of "live" skillindicator in the serverlist?
Let the gameserver make an average of the fastest laps for all who finish the race, then send it to the masterserver. Then compare that average against the WR(or against a set benchmark) and assign it an icon.(pro;quick;ok)

Add that to the serverlist and u can give a nice guideline without enforcing stupid tests
#8 - Woz
Quote from thisnameistaken :Can you imagine how annoying it would be if you downloaded S3 in a few years' time, all eager to try out your favourite cars around the new circuits, and you had to spend a couple of hours doing stupid tests before the game would let you?

Besides, however it was implemented, some modder would defeat it within days and everybody would install the "all cars" cheat.

What like you didnt have to earn the credits to get the cars in S1?

And its VERY easy to implement so it cant be hacked. The test results could be stored server side along with the rest of your online stats. While LFS has been hacked NOBODY has hacked it so you can play online. This means that if you reinstall you still have a record of the tests passed.

While people bitch, do you really think that the tests have been put into LFS so they wont be used?

It has not been used to date because we are using a version of LFS that is NOT feature complete and Alpha status.

If people have clocked up loads of hours in cars during the Alpha tests then it will only take seconds to pass each test so what it the problem. Last time I went through the tests it was quick and simple, because I knew LFS. Same as in S1 it only took a few races to get enough credits to unlock all the cars.
But make the test results stored on LFSW, incase we need to reinstall LFS for any reason.
i really wouldnt mind having to take all the tests :0 i can pass them all in 1 or two tries so it wouldnt take much time... maybe an hour or so?

i'd be willing to sacrifice an hour of my life if it meant racing would be better
If it forces people to learn a little about racing before embarking online, it may produce fewer problems :up: In Colin McRae and GT (PS1) I kind of enjoyed doing the driving tests. It gave me a decent idea of the game physics (such as they are) and what to expect from different cars. In the end it didn't matter as you just end up using the AI as brakes in GT, but it was helpful to begin with
Quote from Woz :What like you didnt have to earn the credits to get the cars in S1?

Nope, never had. Because I was demo and didn't like the turbo anyways, LOL

Quote :If people have clocked up loads of hours in cars during the Alpha tests then it will only take seconds to pass each test so what it the problem. Last time I went through the tests it was quick and simple, because I knew LFS. Same as in S1 it only took a few races to get enough credits to unlock all the cars.

My problem is the horrible default setups you are forced to use. When you have to change to the default after 20,000 miles of a good set suited to your driving, it is a pain to get use to driving a piece of crap.

I just don't think it will work the way it should anyways. How many times do you explain to the idiots in the servers how to drive online with others and they still don't listen or get it? They will pass the tests, then come online and still act like a bunch of monkeys.

Just my opinion though.
Quote from mrodgers :I just don't think it will work the way it should anyways. How many times do you explain to the idiots in the servers how to drive online with others and they still don't listen or get it? They will pass the tests, then come online and still act like a bunch of monkeys.

Just my opinion though.

Precisely. How to sort it

1 server ban ==> 24 hour licence ban
Amateurs? Educate.
Wreckers? Ban.
Problem? Solved.
Quote from AndroidXP :Amateurs? Educate.
Wreckers? Ban.
Problem? Solved.

Well, that's the situation at the moment, and the problem aint solved.
Having said that, I don't think the problem is critical yet anyway.
Quote :I don't think the problem is critical yet anyway.

Not at S2, no.

But then I'd also like to see more kicks happening on S2 servers, in situations where it's applicable. Not everyone owning a license behaves well, and it really seems like now almost every behaviour is tolerated. At the same time kicks/bans shouldn't be taken that seriously, immediately resulting in a forum thread of "why did I get banned at XY?". IMO admins should be a bit stricter, but at the same time people shouldn't be that tight arsed about kicks/bans. If it happens, geez go on and join a different server.

Quote from duke_toaster :Precisely. How to sort it

1 server ban ==> 24 hour licence ban

Very bad idea.

Not every ban is justified.
I've joined servers that had 2 others where they immediately vote banned me because they just wanted to run by themselves instead of creating their own race. Gee, that would give me a 24 hour license ban because someone can't create their own race? illepall

Yes, very bad idea!
For the credits and that, why should I have to do the stupid tests (that don't have anything to with actual driving against opponents) to drive what I have paid good money for
#20 - Vain
There is no "solution" for beginners.

Vain
Quote from Vain :There is no "solution" for beginners.

Vain

+1 - All we can do is help those that want help and hope
Quote :Not everyone owning a license behaves well, and it really seems like now almost every behaviour is tolerated. At the same time kicks/bans shouldn't be taken that seriously, immediately resulting in a forum thread of "why did I get banned at XY?". IMO admins should be a bit stricter, but at the same time people shouldn't be that tight arsed about kicks/bans. If it happens, geez go on and join a different server.

I'm inclined to agree, one of the biggest problems though is that when a driver makes an appeal to kick or ban another player they frequently dont say why they are making the vote ... because they're too busy driving.

I saw a player wrecking the other day, I saw sufficient to make a note to save the replay and report it to the server owner afterwards, but another driver in their aggrevation requested a ban - so I voted to ban too.

He couldn't get enough votes so he kept repeating the vote, he also then started voting to restart. I didn't think this was fair on the rest of us who also had the dodge the wrecker and had just got on with it and our car damage and just wanted to get the vote out of the way and carry on, so I made a badly writen in haste message not to restart. I also took the chance to agree that the other driver was wrecking and carried on agreeing with the vote.

The aggreived driver then had a go at me after the race saying he expected some support !

Nothing makes me want to swear at the screen more than having to act as mother to an abtuse little .. ARGH .. when i'm racing. I just want good clean racing, I dont want to deal with wreckers and most importantly I dont want to deal with the attitude of otherwise innocent people who dont get what they want.

Until I actually just once see a kick/ban go down in a respectable and well behaved manner I dont think I will ever have faith in the system. I've never yet seen it used in a mature manner, even when the cause was quite legitimate.
Quote from Rappa Z :then you'd have to drive every car and every track, and get a good time on every car/track. that means you might have a problem.

But the tought was to have that kind of filter as an option.. So on the servers you want some cleaner and more proffesional racing, the admins could simply set up a time filter.

I hate the idea of getting credits to unlock cars like in S1! it is so anoing to sit for hours to get to the car that you want to drive! Skip the tought of that idea please.
#24 - joen
Regarding the ideas of required minimum/average lap time: being able to drive a fast lap does not make you a good racer.
The lack of pace is not always the problem, it's about common sense and how well you can make the right decisions in an often small time frame.
I'm afraid not everybody has the ability to learn that.
Yesterday I very cleanly passed some guy on a long straight. He then managed to hit me sideways when I was almost 3/4 of a car next to him and he took us both out. On a straight!
I'm sorry but I don't think there's any hope for someone who can't even drive in a straight line.
Thats true

but it may still sort out the real beginners that drive PB's of 1:07 and so on..

and i agree with you, there is probably no way to get away from the drivers that act before thinking! instead of taking it easy and letting you pass them, they loose their cool and push it too much

I managed to pass a guy on the blackwood straight using slipstream, and as we approached the corner after the straight he was right behind me. I slammed my brakes to get into the corner and the guy locks up and hits me, sending both of us into the sand illepall
I had the lead after 10 out of 15 laps, and he had broken his race and was fresh out the pits.. I got so F****** mad!

Anyway, maybe we have to be more carefull approaching them..

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG