The online racing simulator
Quote from DickDastardly :...but in enclosed cars the minimap etc tend to clash with the ceiling or window struts. (By clashing I mean being drawn overlapping a part of your car but with a stereoscopic depth which suggests the HUD element is further away than the part it occludes, thereby giving the impression that the car must be partially transparent or insubstantial and making the simulated world less convincing).

Thanks for that description. I understand that is quite a problem. Also tough to code around as I've tried to describe here :
https://developer.oculusvr.com ... t=5335&p=74778#p74778

Quote from just2fast :I prefer the HUD with the current Rifts resolution to be as big as possible. So with the E8Patch I would go for a scale of 0.80 and a distance of 0.50

Thanks for this, it seems reasonable. Though even with the current HUD only half a metre away, some parts of it are already further away than parts of the car that they are visible in front of (as Dick described).
Quote from Scawen :Thanks for this, it seems reasonable. Though even with the current HUD only half a metre away, some parts of it are already further away than parts of the car that they are visible in front of (as Dick described).

That´s true! Well, when navigating in the menus I don´t care that much about it and ingame I also have less problems, because mostly I drive open seaters.

For closed cars I think this is a bigger problem. Honestly, I wouldn´t care that much as long the Rift is still a devkit. Despite this, lfs is already very playable in VR.

If someone would ask me for my personal lfs enhancement list, I would answer:

1. Menu navigation with Rift
2. Simple neck model
3. Chromatic aberration correction
4. New Tyre Physics ...

And yes I didn´t mentioned the 3D-mirrors.
Mabye others think different about that. I can also understand that 3D-mirrors wants to be done, to make the VR experience near-complete.
A question related the 3D mirrors. Would it be the right moment to calculate the 3 mirrors separately now that you are probably going to look into that code?
Drawing 1 mirror reduces frame rate considerably, 2 more would probably hurt quite a lot. A configurable mirror resolution would be nice though.
-
(Rynno666) DELETED by Flame CZE : unrelated request
Test Patch E10
Test Patch E10 is now available. I think the realistic eye positions, neck model, automatic FOV calculation and HUD aspect ratio selector will make it a lot better for Oculus Rift users. If you moved your view position before, please do click the "Default position" button in View Options so you can see where the eye position is now automatically set.

Changes from 0.6E8 to 0.6E10 :

3D Support :

Simple HUD aspect ratio option for 3D modes in view options screen
SHIFT+U mode mouse view control now works in stereoscopic 3D modes

Oculus Rift :

Oculus Rift vertical FOV is now calculated (manual option also available)
Realistic eye positions and simple neck model moves eyes with head tracking

Fixes :

FIX : Some glitches in the movement of vertical sliders
FIX : Sliders moved twice as far as mouse in some 3D modes
FIX : Cleaner transition from track selection back to race setup screen
FIX : Rare crash that could happen when more buttons appeared on the screen

https://www.lfsforum.net/showt ... php?p=1832609#post1832609
where did driver disappear in Options->Driver

Some annoying bug
Im tracing one nasty bug for a long time. unfortenutly no exact way to reproduce it, but here are some things I noticed when it was reproduced
-lose connection/timeout from server
-rejoin server (and in order to reproduce it your connection should be really laggy, like when Im downloading torrents+uploading to dropbox without any bandwidth limit)
-then start SHIFT+J (multiple times), and it takes few seconds to actually join because of lag
-and when you join, your setup seem to be corrupted, it isn't the one you selected to be, but some crazy suspensions... also some time ago I went to leave pits with XFG, same thing happened and suddenly I was at XRG with same corrupted setup.

here are local logs when this bug is successfully reproduced:
20:55:24 Lost connection to host //lost connection due to lag
20:55:41 Autocross : 1 checkpoint //rejoined
20:56:14 Avoiding multiple join requests //shift+j,...
20:56:14 Avoiding multiple join requests
20:56:14 Name is already used
20:56:15 Garage : data\veh\XR GT.veh
20:56:15 daniel-cro^L left the pits (XRG)
20:56:15 Warning : Rallycross tyres on road track
20:56:15 /autoclutch 1
20:56:21 daniel-cro^L already has a car //this message seem to be a key of bug, whenever i see this bug i also see this message
20:56:28 daniel-cro^L voted to RESTART

Happened to me just now in 0.6E10 on singleplayer, so looks like its maybe not related to lag at all.

If someone else experienced same problem, please confirm
A setup with soft suspention (bottoms out IIRC) and lots of passengers? Yes.
Quote from Sobis :A setup with soft suspention (bottoms out IIRC) and lots of passengers? Yes.

yes that
Quote from DANIEL-CRO :where did driver disappear in Options->Driver

Thanks, I have no idea what caused that!

EDIT : Looks like that bug only causes two faults - the invisible driver and also the distance measurement tool in SHIFT+U mode is invisible.
Thanks for the update! The new neck model seems to work well for me and, although the automatic FOV is a little larger than I had it previously (which took a little bit of adjustment), I'm liking that too. I'd say that "out of the box" everything seems set up very well with some good options to still allow people to adjust for taste.

One interesting thing with the rift is that I kinda feel like I've been conditioned (through 30+ years of gaming :geezer to a monitor perspective, so it's hard to trust that I know what feels "real" at this point
How the 3D support will be released? As a new update for the current LFS version (0.5E with 3D like the current test patch) or together with the "big update" of physics?

Make it sense to buy already the dev version for gaming or to wait for the consumer version (planned for Q3 2014)?
If you can't wait to try new experiences you can go for it but the owners here mentioned 720p is not enough for serious racing. Maybe it's good enough for other games, you need to make up your own mind about that. 300 dollar is not an enormous amount of money though... Especially with these current conversion rates. (hmm USD->CHF is not that great I see now, but well, anyway).

A new Test Patch 0.6E11 is available.

If you have had the scaling issue, for example when using 1920x1080 resolution with your Oculus Rift, you may find the Aspect ratio correction option solves the problem.

As I understand it, the scaling issue was usually seen as the image being stretched vertically. But although your steering wheel wouldn't be quite round, the scaling was only around 10% so wasn't always immediately obvious. It might be noticed as a strange warping when you tilt your head. If you have seen that problem in 1920x1080 mode, please let me know if the new option helps.

https://www.lfsforum.net/showt ... php?p=1832609#post1832609
When I select any of the 3D modes, I can't see the orange dots indicating objects in the SHIFT+U layout editor. Is that intentional? I can imagine selecting objects with Oculus Rift being quite a difficult task, but I'm not sure about some other 3D devices...
Yes, that is intentionally disabled at the moment.

It's a bit tricky to get it right. You can see the problem just by pressing D to see the distance measurement tool and look at the difference between the mouse pointer and the object.

The question is what to do... put the selection buttons in 3D space? They would have to be, so that they look like they are under (or near) the object. But then the mouse pointer has to go into 3D space as well, zooming in and out of the landscape as you move it and flicking back into 2D space when it hovers over any of the interface buttons.

A bit tricky and troublesome to sort out. On my notes but hasn't reached top priority.
Oculus Rift issues
I've recently found this sim from a tip off on the oculus vr forums and it is an amazing experience in virtual reality.

I'm not sure how much feedback you are getting from the community so I thought I should feedback an issue I am having.

Some cars seem to introduce a roll drift immediately when game play starts where the view will rotate to one side or the other. Not turning left or right but rather rolling left or right while looking forwards. It is very off putting. All card will do this after maybe 8 laps of continuous play.

Inlean my head when I play, usually into the apex. Its a natural head movement, I turn to look at the apex and lean slightly towards it. This seems to bring on the issue sooner.

Some cars seem to introduce a horizontal drift as well.

I have of course mapped rift reset to a button and find that resetting it cures the issue at the start bit it gets progressively worse to the point you need to reset every few seconds and its unplayable at that point. I find exiting to desktop resolves the degradation and I can play again.

Open wheel cars seem more resilient to this issue but ultimately all cars are effected sooner or later.

Just FYI. If there's anything you can suggest I'm wiling to try it and feedback.

Great game though. Absolutely an experience like no other when played as vr. Could charge people just to have a go it's that good.
-
(troy) DELETED by Flame CZE : post moved
Rift_Racing_1, I have moved your post to here in the test patch thread, so Scawen can read it more easily
Thanks

To add to the post, I have tried to see what happens if you don't reset. The drift will roll a long way in one direction, maybe 45 degrees. Then it'll start to correct itself and come back the other way past centre, stop and then correct itself properly. The whole affair takes about 30 seconds. It's enough to ruin any race you may have been in. Using rift reset at any point in this process begins it again but with a more severe drift.

I see some of the comments here, is there any chance patching may help? Some of the issues here sound a lot worse than what im having. I don't want to make it worse and ruin the experience. If the patch doesn't work can I roll back?

I pretty much race hot lap or single player against the kamikaze ai at the moment though as there are no public servers for F1 w/o traction control.
Hi Rift_Racing_1,

Thanks for the feedback. The latest patch doesn't contain any additional tracking correction. In fact all the tracking correction is done by the Rift drivers. LFS only asks one question of the Rift : "What is the orientation at this moment?" It's not LFS that sums up all the momentary accelerations to calculate the orientation.

So it seems to me that Roll drift problem you have can only be a problem with your Rift or the Rift software. Do you have the latest version of the Rift drivers? It sounds unusual to me, because I thought the only known drift problem was with Yaw. Roll and Pitch can be simply corrected using the direction of gravity. I think it may be worth posting about the Roll drift on the Oculus forums or in Oculus customer support.

By the way, although there are no changes to the tracking, it's always best to get the latest Test Patch. No new problems have been reported with E11. The aspect ratio problem people described is not new and nothing to do with LFS, it's just some combination of the Rift software or video card drivers and settings that ends up stretching a 16:9 output into the 16:10 screen. LFS patch E11 has an option to cancel out that stretch. You can roll back at any time, just run the previous EXE.
Hi Scawen,

Thanks alot for the reply.

In terms of Rift Drivers, I use the configuration utility in the SDK. I always assumed that was the driver. I don't recall ever having to install anything (like you would expect to for a graphics card or whatever). I downloaded the SDK when I got the Rift, possibly 5-6 weeks ago. I'll check if there is an updated SDK version when I get home. I didn't get the Rift from Oculus directly, it's via eBay and didn't come with the original registration letter or instructions (if these even existed). It's worked well enough to date so I figured the Config utility was the driver.

I'll install the test patch when I get home later as well.

Thanks again for supporting the Rift in your game. I'm sure it'll tap a new niche in this emerging part of the gaming industry (and therefore bring more customers!). I'm personally selling the virtues of this game in all the places where I discuss VR and games online.
Quote from Rift_Racing_1 :
In terms of Rift Drivers, I use the configuration utility in the SDK. I always assumed that was the driver. I don't recall ever having to install anything (like you would expect to for a graphics card or whatever). I downloaded the SDK when I got the Rift, possibly 5-6 weeks ago. I'll check if there is an updated SDK version when I get home. I didn't get the Rift from Oculus directly, it's via eBay and didn't come with the original registration letter or instructions (if these even existed). It's worked well enough to date so I figured the Config utility was the driver.

Hi Rift_Racing, have you done the MAG calibaration (in the config utility) yet? If this doesn´t help, you might want to do an firmware update. This can be started from the config utility, too!

Btw, I have none of your issues. My rift is from July, but I did a firmware update some weeks ago, just to go sure I have everything up do date what Carmack is hacking together
Thanks just2fast I'll do a firmware update when I get home next.

I did the mag yaw callibaration, yes. But I'll do it again and do alot more of the roll axis to ensure it callibrates it well.

EDIT: My firmware was 0.17, I've updated to 0.18. It seems much more robust in the 20 minutes I spent on during lunch. I'll try more later tonight as well as upgrade the version with the latest test patch.
One bit of feedback that is probably overlooked is the in game communications.

Clearly the resolution of the Rift is low enough that making any of the in game text visible through enlargement is quite difficult without eating into the field of view and losing the immersion. I do often wonder though if people are talking to me at all (probably asking my unskillful but to get lost - everyone at this game seems like a pro to me and I think I'm not bad until I go online).

I wondered if this was something you had considered at all. Maybe enlarging the text in game when you aren't driving (post race, pits, spectator etc). I appreciate that typing while rifting isn't easy but I can touch type as I'm sure most can these days.
I haven't thought too much about that yet, though I realise that it can be hard to see the HUD things and it would be nice to allow better positioning in 3D space. I probably won't really get into that level of detail in this round of Test Patches.

But there is one simple option that probably helps Rift users - in Display Options there is a Message text size option.
I'll give that a try, thanks. In terms of positional I actually find having the majority of the HUD elements (lap times, deltas etc.) far better out of the way. My racing FOV is me, the car and the road and nothing else. The overlays of split times are nice as they are because they flash up and they're gone and are good while I'm learning to gauge my performance as I try different things. It's perfectly acceptable to look up to the left or right for more information and if this was all configurable I'd leave them where they are.
This thread is closed

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG