The online racing simulator
3D Render Scenes for Tracks?
(37 posts, started )
Anyone doing that? Anyone want to give that a shot? I'd love to make a fully rendered race.
#2 - Ian.H
I started.. although some of the textures royalled screwed over (possibly lack of resources).. but a low-quality experiment using the GTL Virginia International Raceway track

Needs a _lot_ of work and would probably be easier to start again from scratch specifically for rendering as it's pretty low-poly otherwise.. but I tried (to cheat for now lol )

Regards,

Ian
hah have fun, its alot harder than you think to do animation like that, im learning with a guy doing it for school on cg-cars and he says its a pain in the royal bum, its not nearly as simple as anyone would wish.. atleast.. its simple to make it go around the track, if you cant do that... your screwed lol

as for track building.. i've started a 2nd little scene for my Z4 and havent done much, but i promise you, making tracks is.. VERY hard
and you have to know some basics (if you dont know these.. i suggest you start on a smaller project)
how to UV map .. CORRECTLY
effects of meshsmoothing (or.. if low poly, how to correctly model something and to look correct without using meshsmooth)
the correct way to light it
uh.. what else.. how to work with a mess of polys which.. gotta do that in a car if your modeling a car .. the real way

and there is alot more stuff than what i can think of right now

oh.. animations of course, path constraints, autokey, dummies if your going to cause crashes, bones.. for same reason, sprays for dirt or dust or.. burnouts, and the list goes on
Where did animations ever come into this thread XCNuse? I think they just want to make static render scenes.
I can do straight line animation for cars (with physics) but i don't know how to control it...
Well, of course if only making a still image of a race car on a section of race track isn't difficult, because you only need to model the track and background to what your camera can see, you don't have to worry to much about anything beyond the camera view. And because it is a still image, some of your backgrounds can be 'cardboard' props, no need to go full 3D, but of course you can if you insist to...

You can get quite a lot of track textures from the LFS folder already. Not bad for a starting point.

XCNuse is quite right about the lighting of a scene like that, very important to get it right, also you may need to consider the atmosphere, i.e. haze, mist etc. They are all the little details to make your still image to look better.

LOL Ian, you have got ghosts on the hill watching the race
i just continued on about animation since he said 'make a fully rendered race' so i figured he meant.. a whole animation

either way, even just what the camera sees is.. alot more work than what one would expect
I have _no_ 3DS Max skill. I just program computers, that's about it. I'm not going to be the one making the track, I'd hoped that some one out there had made a KY or AS track scene. The SMX the only thing 3d regarding tracks available to people although of course the SMX files are not very detailed.
i could, but .. since im pretty much seperate from lfs when it comes to 3d compared to most of you peoples here, i.. would rather not since i would probably use it even though its the devs cause i would much rather.. let everything by my own work rather than someone elses

but im sure someone will get enough skill to make a small section from a track in lfs.. shouldnt be to hard, especially when you can just take the wireframe shot too and just match it all up..
LOL yup, ain't they cool samy? Not only do they look crap because they're flat, they look worse now Actually the result of some crappy opacity work on my part (diffuse texture for both maps doesn't work but I was just filling material slots at the time ).

LFS textures are a good starting place too as you say.. here's my first ever attempt at track stuff a few months back:

Some is over-repetative (cycle lane for example) and the materials aren't set for that renderer so look shoddy but they definitely work

I think MorroW did some track scenes too. Not sure if any were actual replicas of LFS tracks, but remember seeing some of renders done on tracks anyway

Regards,

Ian
Quote from Ian.H :I think MorroW did some track scenes too. Not sure if any were actual replicas of LFS tracks, but remember seeing some of renders done on tracks anyway

I have done only one "track"...
Textures are taken from oval and westhill. Right now I watch it and feel shame
Sadly I can't give this scene if someone wants...if you can fix my old hdd, then you can get it
Ahh that's the one I remember

Regards,

Ian
Not bad Ian, look forward to see that finished.
Hi yamakawa, I remember I saw these avi before, very nice work. You used reelmotion for these with 3ds max? But reelmotion has gone now, so I have not tried it, is it similar to the Reactor car in 3ds max?

Oh, I have noticed in your Race.avi, the blue car intersets with the red car.
WOW! Those vids are _really_ sweet!

I find getting the initial track surface down (if fictional at least) a fairly quick task as I draw the layout in Illustrator and then import than into 3DS as a spline and create a mesh from it. Drop it below 0, freeze it and I have something to follow with my track bits (discovered this after I started that one) but to make it look nice with textures and decent scenery is a real time consuming process.

The track above unfortunately got trashed I saved it one night.. loaded it up the next and all the mapping coords were screwed.. all textures were fragmented into separate polys and rotated and all sorts (looked like a really badly faceted model). Not sure what caused it, but ultimately I binned it as mapping straight textures to curved polys isn't something I fancied trying (have since got something to doa basic job of it, but not tried yet).

A really nice piece of work there yamakawa!

Regards,

Ian
It is regrettable,Ian.
Yes,I used 3dsMax & ReelMotion.It is better than Toycar of 3dsMax.It does not become useful Toycar.
uhhh.. why is there a man haning onto the last car on race14 rofl

btw, which codec are you using, because whenever i try to make a video.. it always .. its weird, there are some frames that get like dark and some that arent and it just.. looks terrible

as for toycar.. it sucks, reactor is only good for like.. uh... water and ragdolls lol
i tell you what, if anyone gets me some top view pictures from an LFS track (just.. please not hte city, i would prefer Kyoto since it has a nice atmosphere) that is large enough to work with, i will make that section, just as long as it isnt .. to big
#22 - joen
Quote from XCNuse :uhhh.. why is there a man haning onto the last car on race14 rofl

LOL That man is trying to controlling the car very hard on the roof, pulling left and right as the driver was missing on that car (well all the cars infact...)
Quote from yamakawa :..."Simulator D" is also good maxscript...
but this is shareware. free version is only 100 frame.

Is 'Simulator D' a commercial product? Do you have their website? I could'nt find them in the search. Love to know more about it. Does it work on all 3ds max versions? Unfortunately the tutorial is not in English...

(37 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG