The online racing simulator
give and take
(64 posts, started )
give and take
ive had enough for now of the public servers.

there seems to be one good race for every ten or twenty.

why do people drive like madmen and try to pass at T1?

city seems to be the worst one for this. I was racing in a ten lap race and every time there would be a pileup.

also, the sensible drivers who hold their line and take the corners right are muscled out of the way by idiots taking the totally wrong line then using the poor guy as a buffer.

i had this happen to me today on the last sweeping right hander on city. the other guy was as far to the left as he could be and yet believed he had done nothing wrong. do you normally take that line through that corner? i think not. for once i held my line, and lo and behold we touched, race over.
he was faster than me, and we had plenty of laps, so why do it?

i would rarther come last in a league race and have clean fair sensible racing then compete with fools who have a one or two lap mentallity.

sorry about the rant.

regards.
Quote from mr grady :i would rarther come last in a league race and have clean fair sensible racing then compete with fools who have a one or two lap mentallity

What stops you from joining a league?

I think the main problem is the length of races respectively that nothing is organised in public servers. It would be really nice if there were more ad-hoc races where you start a long race as soon as the server has enough players, instead of the endless brainless 5 lap stints.
one of the problems on public servers, is people who brake too early for turn 1 and people pile into the back of them. also i wonder why everyone drives on the outside line for turn 1 leaving the inside totally clear?!?!

when im starting near the front i go flying into turn 1 so i cant get fired, and when im near the back i go for any gaps. i hardly ever get taken out at turn 1. the only time i do is when people turn into the side of me, or a track blockage causes me to crash.

in real life everyone is aggressive and not many people get taken out, but its when u get people who arent aggresive that theres a crash on the first few corners. either go fast, or crash (and get crashed into)
for me it's because i don't want to be pinned to a certain time/date just to have a good/fair race...
So i try to race defensive, and yes it's a problem to find some servers with some more laps running...
Quote from AndroidXP :What stops you from joining a league?

Like said before, I dont have the flexiblity to race whenever the league specificies. But i do agree...T1 in almost all servers is insane. People flying everywhich way and theres no where to hide from them. I only speed into T1 if im up infront with people that i know can race, most other sitauations im forced to give up a few spots and let all those people pass me. Cuase most of the time they all end up crashing and i get my position back as i go around the crash. And yes, I wish more people would vote to "end race" and pick up on a longer race as soon as the server gets a solid amount of decent racers.
#6 - Chaos
I really just don't understand those hotshots, who think that their car can brake better than others... Is it so hard to start braking when the car which is 2nd infront of you starts braking? I have raced many races, public and league and this is the best moment to start braking for T1... Ok, you can be just a bit early on the brakes, but then there is space to let the brake go for a split sec and you loose practically nothing...

So for T1 pileups...
The difference between LFS and real racing is the difference in skill levels throughout the field. So if you're heading down to T1 and someone, who perhaps isn't sure on braking points, slams on their brakes half a mile too early, then it's hard to avoid them if everyone's close. But there are also alot of people who think they're God, brake too late and consquently take some people out.

My technique for T1 is to stay near the inside and just hope no one turns into the side of my car. Works quite often and usually I gain a decent handful of positions from the people that go the long way round
I drive online for the fun of it and not to drive good times, so I start to brake earlier if someone is in front of me. Unfortunately as I like my car untouched I tend to brake later when being followed. (got used to the wrecking)
If I'm new to the combo, I'm not as cautious, I try to follow the car in front as close as I can to learn the ideal curves/speed.
My T1 usually is very agressive, but taking care of my car and others'. Most guys usually leave the inside of T1 unused, so I brake aiming to the apex, usually late braking rather than early, and suddenly I'm alone, jumping from 7th to 3rd, while the pack is fighting to stay on the track by the outside.

This seems to be what most 'idiots' tend to do, but I rarely get involved in a crash... like some F1 driver I can't remember said, you just don't win races at the first corner.
Quote from Ryanry64 :The difference between LFS and real racing is the difference in skill levels throughout the field. So if you're heading down to T1 and someone, who perhaps isn't sure on braking points, slams on their brakes half a mile too early, then it's hard to avoid them if everyone's close. But there are also alot of people who think they're God, brake too late and consquently take some people out.

My technique for T1 is to stay near the inside and just hope no one turns into the side of my car. Works quite often and usually I gain a decent handful of positions from the people that go the long way round

More or less same here.
If i am near the front of the grid i usually keep my line in the first corner, so either keep to inside or all the way round the outside so people know where i will be all corner. Sometimes i change line from outside to inside if there is enough room.

I think wat alot of new people (not noobs just in experienced) dont realise is that for every car in front of you - you have to break that bit earlier. I know this doesnt happen IRL but with normal peoples reactions and the small lag means sometimes people are going into T1 too quick and run into the back of people.

A good F# Bind i have is "please use your brakes and not my rear bumper" lol
#12 - Vain
Quote from Ryanry64 :My technique for T1 is to stay near the inside and just hope no one turns into the side of my car. Works quite often and usually I gain a decent handful of positions from the people that go the long way round

My technique is to stay outside to not provoke a collision with those who always stay on the inside. Also, where's the fun in starting first and maintaining that position? Better fall back to third in T1 and fight back.
In leagueraces this behaviour obviously change. If I can get hold of an inside line I will take it, knowing that other people will respect my line. But I won't force anything. "Easy does it!"

Vain
The problem frequently with taking the outside line is someone braking late on the inside line (have a go at AS2) and ploughs through, taking you with him/her anyway I play it safe, except if I'm in the top3 or so with competitive drivers in front.
Yay Another Thread With Someone Whining About Crashers
hehe, i know exactly what you mean dude!

we've been whinging about T1 incidents since the dawn of LFS, but it helps to keep awareness of the problem

My personal tecnique for getting through T1 is to brake about 10-20 yards early - but very gently, it gives you a lot more control over the speed you're going, you keep the ability to steer, and the biggest bonus is that the people behind you get a fair warning you're braking without so much risk of an impact.

Remember, Brake lights lag! don't think that if you brake as soon as the other guy does you'll stop in time, chances are (unless he's being gentle) you're gonna hit him, and he'll usually hit sopmebody else etc, etc
if someone brakes that early infront of me i usually push them to speed them up. i dont push them off, jsut to speed them up abit, i dont wanna get rammed myself! i will get flamed but i dont care.
sometimes people brake incredibly early when i am chasing them... but i have never pushed someone on purpose...

thats just wrecking plane and simple... if you make contact with another car on purpose and then its wrecking.
Quote from ayrton senna 87 :if someone brakes that early infront of me i usually push them to speed them up. i dont push them off, jsut to speed them up abit, i dont wanna get rammed myself! i will get flamed but i dont care.

now that's just about the safest way to cause a huge pilup in T1 illepall. how an experienced driver can actually say and probably do such a BS is really beyond me.
right. if you get rear ended under braking you're almost certainly going to lose control. I fail to understand how the person doing the rear ending can somehow 'choose' whether they 'just speed [the other person] up' or 'push them off'.
I'll rather get off the line and do the turn by the outside/inside than 'bumping a bit'.

Demo servers can be the closest thing to Destruction Derby sometimes.
#21 - joen
If I start at the front I usually keep my line and go to the inside, almost never a problem.
If I start at the back or midfield I'll be on the outside though and turn in later. I think that's the best way, because the pileups start on the inside 9 out of 10 times and this way I have the most succes of keeping myself out of trouble. This way I often move up from say P20 to P8 or so, just by avoiding everybody else taking each other out.

People also don't seem to understand you should hit the brakes at a different point at T1 because the gaps are still small and your tires are cold. Also it makes quite alot of difference if you've got 10 people in front of you braking instead of 2.

Blackwood is especially crazy. Not just T1 but the chicane after that as well. People actually think you can pass someone correctly when you're halfway through there.
joen: well, there's a counterpoint for T1 braking, though - you're arriving from a standing start so you're going slower than you usually would be. For Blackwood, for e.g., the optimum braking point on the first lap is quite a way later than on subsequent laps, because you're going significantly slower when you get there. You can brake nearly at the 50...if you're at the front...
Bear in mind we have plenty of young players in LFS too. Not easy to have a clean race when you have 1 or more young, immature little brats racing with you.
Everyone brakes differently and at different time's thats why LFS Racing is a great challenge, and FUN.

At T1 there is no correct braking point that is goverened by the car in front of you ....end of story

This week I have been racing a lot on the blackwood/GTI Mercury server and at times I have been pullling (what little I hair I have) out at the lack of respect from some drivers, but on the flip side the majority of the races and drivers have gave me some of the best Racing I have had in LFS. no contact, close racing, and knowing the driver just behind you will not make some crazy and impossible inside move at the corner... priceless.

Rather than ram a car in front of me, I will run off the track If I can.
Its about respect, not so I can feel morally better, but because it feels good to race others and win or lose you don't do it at there expense.

I see other LFS user's who drive like this everyday, and that is why I keep plugging away.

Who said this was just a game

John
at south city i tend to go very wide or very tight, the middle always seems to be a scrapyard. i tend to brake a little bit earlier but not as hard as normal, so im ready to slow and car is settled but at same time ive got enough speed to stop being rear ended by any non idiot and can take advantage of a gap

give and take
(64 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG