The online racing simulator
Question about VOB mods
(29 posts, started )
Question about VOB mods
Now, I'm not a "noob" to LFS by any means (bought S2 back in late 2005 or 2006), but I figure this is the best place to ask my question. I've always heard how VOB mods, or mods that change the shape of a car, are illegal and will get you instantly banned. But why is that? I see plenty of games with car model mods that aren't illegal, so what's the difference with LFS? Is it because LFS doesn't have the actual licenses to show any of the other car models in-game?
because they create ghost collisions, lag, and many of them could contain viruses.
Mods
As far as I know the problem is mainly to do with Collision detection.

Many of the mods alter the dimensions of the cars and can cause hit detection problems.

It can ruin the races for others as they can appear to be nowhere near to you and they go flying off the track due to an apparent collision.
My question is that, is it illegal for use in singleplayer? Or just multiplayer? It doesn't seem right that you should block people from doing that kind of stuff on their own, but maybe there's something I don't know. I'd find it kinda hard to believe that "some of them might have viruses" is the reason that VOB mods are illegal.
#5 - troy
What you do in single player is your business alone, nobody will/can do anything about that. The devs just don't like discussions about unwanted content in the forums that is all.
Ah, okay. I'm too scared of messing up my LFS files and having to re-download everything to attempt that stuff anyway.
Quote from Bmxtwins :because they create ghost collisions, lag, and many of them could contain viruses.

show me 1 pls
i know that normal .vob files can contain viruses but i dont think lfs vob files have anywhere near the same structure.so probably can be confusing for some people
Quote from spotty1 :i know that normal .vob files can contain viruses but i dont think lfs vob files have anywhere near the same structure.so probably can be confusing for some people

Nah it's just a classic case of Bmxtwins spreading FUD
Well.. if people bundle them in a self-extracting EXE.. it could be a virus.

Everything on the internet could be a virus however.
For example a newbie sees a cool BMW e30 in the drifting pictures thread and decided to buy S2-----------------> wtf where's my E30!!!!!!!!!!!!??????????? lfs sucks!!!!!

sorry for brainfart. -)
Just better original game! textures mod and others it's ok, but cars mod is dumb for lfs.
Another silly question, what does VOB stand for anyway?
Quote from ToxicKlay :Another silly question, what does VOB stand for anyway?

Uhmm, Vehicle Object [something]? Binary? Just a guess.
From personal experience I love to do things my way, and LFS still lacks bodykits, or basic customization.

I don't want to post anything to get me banned, but when toying over LAN with a simple edit of wing removal seems to cause no collision issues, but this is for discussion on another forum. I forget where in the agreement it says not to discuss it on here.

But my question is, why does rim changer cause online issues? Isn't it a computer change only? why do servers see it as a problem. I miss bespoke and love bigger rims than the boring stock ones! (no offence devs!)
Quote from Blade3562 :and LFS still lacks bodykits, or basic customization.

I miss bespoke and love bigger rims than the boring stock ones!

Why would you want to do that?

These bespoke things etc are just hacks I guess and thus not allowed.
Quote from Bose321 :Why would you want to do that?

"not allowed" my ass
Quote from Bose321 :Why would you want to do that?

Actually BeSpoke and Rim Changer are on this very forum and supported just like texture mods as they create no collision issue.
Quote from E.Reiljans :Nah it's just a classic case of Bmxtwins spreading FUD

when i first came to lfs i downloaded a general lee dodge charger and it included a key logger and a fake anti malware.
Quote from Bmxtwins :when i first came to lfs i downloaded a general lee dodge charger and it included a key logger and a fake anti malware.

[verification needed]
I can make various claims too.
Quote from ToxicKlay :Ah, okay. I'm too scared of messing up my LFS files and having to re-download everything to attempt that stuff anyway.

just make a second installation of lfs on your computer. so you can have one clean for multiplayer and another one for tinkering around in singleplayer with all modifications you want.

and no this is not illegal, because even the devs recommend to do this before trying things that could break your lfs!

as for the forums and multiplayer it is like the others said: no vob mods and no talking about it here.

peace, mo
hmmm, nie hab' ich über das gedacht

sorry, just practicing my German. that's a pretty good idea, though. just to tinker around i guess.
Some people just love to be told what they are allowed to do, and what they aren't allowed to do.
^ what an awful post

Question about VOB mods
(29 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG