The online racing simulator
With your permission I'll host this Off SimFIA or TheNZ. Consider it a free Mirror.
Quote from Dygear :With your permission I'll host this Off SimFIA or TheNZ. Consider it a free Mirror.

thats okay. -actually anyone who wants to host it is welcome.
-that place I used is properly not the greatest.
#53 - Naix
@ Bo : Sorry, but it seems that the download is failing. I only get a 1 Mb file ??!!! Could you please host the files elsewhere, please ?

Thank you and VERY VERY good Job !!
bo-kristiansen: the server you uploaded the zip to is very slow and stopped after 1MB, can you upload it somewhere else? (rapidshare? megaupload?)

I want to test it but screens look very promissing
I have no use for these yet, not till the weekend But i find the track tarmac far too bright, and should be alot darker! GT4 tarmac just looks sexy
#56 - Jakg
need to find a new host, getting 20 kbs!
#57 - Naix
Lukcy one 20 kbs !!! ;-) I'm only at 8kbs :-(
#58 - Jakg
i did get 53! then it died!
So, since this is turning into a "community high-res texture" thread now...
This is what I have on Westhill so far...

The funny looking grass is due to a mapping error by Eric on the left side of the grass/road textures where the grass is mapped about 50cm too far onto the road leaving absolutely no transition whatsoever... With the longer right-side asphalt there is at least some transition on both sides, but the long side needs improving.

Edit: Oh, and the start/finish line wasn't high-res yet, so that's just a quick mockup to see the mapping
Attached images
org_westhill.jpg
new_westhill.jpg
That looks pretty cool Tag. I'd say the grass is a bit on the 'emerald' side or something, but maybe put a hint of yellow or browns into it. The original grass color is pretty accurate (mix of dead grass). I like the fringe from the grass and the road. Maybe put dirt for the transition, that would at least make it look correct. Maybe even make parts of it showing the edge of the road, like it is a "cut" edge. Or as if the grass has a "cut" edge.

I wish I had better example pics:

http://www.users.bigpond.com/johncoom/mtw/mtwracing.jpg
http://www.aircraftimages.com/ ... en3539_WALLPAPER_1024.jpg (this style kinda -- and the curbs suit weshtill too)
http://www.armandduco.com/modu ... oRacing/res1646737352.jpg
http://www.nexus-photography.c ... 20Racing/img_3673_std.jpg
the new grass look perfect to me, even the color is perfect no need to change imho.
Quote from Tweaker :That looks pretty cool Tag. I'd say the grass is a bit on the 'emerald' side or something, but maybe put a hint of yellow or browns into it. The original grass color is pretty accurate (mix of dead grass). I like the fringe from the grass and the road. Maybe put dirt for the transition, that would at least make it look correct. Maybe even make parts of it showing the edge of the road, like it is a "cut" edge. Or as if the grass has a "cut" edge.

Yeah, but the problem is that if I do a perfect transition for the right side of the track, the left side looks bloody well awful :P I'm going to go for the dirt... I have some dirt textures here that would look pretty nice...

The grass is too brightly green, but that will be fixed once I finalize all the grass textures... I'll be grading the textures once they're all done (at least the ones that have the same objects in them), so that the colors will be all in the same tone throughout the track.

EDIT: The way the textures are mapped doesn't exactly leave much room for playing with other colors... That's one of the things I don't like about computerized circuits... You have a max of 4 types of grass in most of them, and basically, when you put different types of grass around the track it just shouts "repetition!!!" at you. I know it's meant to be a race sim, and not a screenie generator, but I'd love to have about 6 or 7 different types of grass on the trackside alone (and another 6 or 7 behind the armco, and another couple on banks where the crowd walks and sits).
for TagForce
Hi Tagforce,
Your effor you put into updating looks on this WIP very nice.
Any chance to show some close up view?Like wheels view?

Any I fully agree and the mapping of textures needs improved.There needs to be addtional textures for where the croweds might stand and anothr textures for grass beyond the track barriers.It would definatelly helped guys like you or me.

Another thing.You have to always make the textures you put in LFS make very dark because LFS ligh up everything but a bit excessive ammount. illepall .I ended with a bit small trick which doesnt effect the quality texture at all when I am making it darker.Exposure adjustment under Image tab in PS resolved it.

I tried some seamless textures and the repeating effect wasnt there at all.Its just matter of finding some good texture.Please just try the one I attached here for checking the repeating effect.With this texture its hardly to spot any repeating.
Attached images
GrassSample.jpg
Quote from DEVIL 007 :Hi Tagforce,
Your effor you put into updating looks on this WIP very nice.
Any chance to show some close up view?Like wheels view?

Any I fully agree and the mapping of textures needs improved.There needs to be addtional textures for where the croweds might stand and anothr textures for grass beyond the track barriers.It would definatelly helped guys like you or me.

Another thing.You have to always make the textures you put in LFS make very dark because LFS ligh up everything but a bit excessive ammount. illepall .I ended with a bit small trick which doesnt effect the quality texture at all when I am making it darker.Exposure adjustment under Image tab in PS resolved it.

I tried some seamless textures and the repeating effect wasnt there at all.Its just matter of finding some good texture.Please just try the one I attached here for checking the repeating effect.With this texture its hardly to spot any repeating.

Glad you like how it looks so far... I'll get some different shots when the grass is done, including trackside cameras, ground cameras, cockpit views, and wheel views...

I know things look a little bright at the moment, but these are just the basic textures... I work on textures the same way I work on videos or movies... I first get the editing done, and then go on to grading so the colors match. The advantage of working this way is that you can eventually just take every texture of a certain object and match the colors for each texture in one go, and make sure that all the colors throughout the track kind of match. It's basically like creating a library of color sets that you assign to different tracks. I find texturing locations is a lot like grading a movie, you can use different colors to create a different feel...

I'll keep the exposure adjustment in mind... Thanks for the tip... I've not used Photoshop that much, but I'm used to other Adobe software (like premiere and after effects), so I was going to look for similar functions in PS

The repeating effect can be avoided by creating flat textures with no hard spots in them. Unfortunately that means getting rid of a lot of things that make a texture unique. You can't have cracks in the asphalt that are really overly noticable, because that will make it repetetive, but you need some cracks or it'll be dull... Same goes for grass... I can't put too many details on the grass textures since that would make them look repetetive (especially from cockpit view), but I need some detail because that's just how grass is. It's always a compromise... I'll have a look at your attached grass texture to see if it looks good... I hope it maps great throughout the texture, and not just the edges, because I need some good examples of fully mappable grass right now...

One of the things I've noticed is that no texture pack in LFS is going to look perfect at the moment. Eric's mapped the same texture over different sized areas, and used no tiling whatsoever in some parts. This means that the same texture sometimes gets mapped twice in 20 yards between the armco and the track edge, and the next 20 yards it gets mapped only once without tiling, causing the effective resolution to be cut in half (or the grass strands to be twice the size).
Tagforce, that screenshot looks brilliant, can't wait to see more.
Tagforce your grass texture looks spot on even right now IMO. i dont think the "hard line" between the grass and tarmac is really a big issue, and i especially like the appearance of grass clippings on the edge of the track - looks like someone went over the grass just the day before with a tractor slasher to cut it
Just to nip back to Bo's contribution.........Marvelous! My only disappointment is that the overhead road sign in SO, has reverted to 'City Center'. It didn't occur to me to back up my 'City Centre' one. (CTY_Logos2.dds) For the pedants among you.
Quote from Doorman :Just to nip back to Bo's contribution.........Marvelous! My only disappointment is that the overhead road sign in SO, has reverted to 'City Center'. It didn't occur to me to back up my 'City Centre' one. (CTY_Logos2.dds) For the pedants among you.

I dont get it...
I havent changed any text on that one.

but nice that you notice things like that.

I WAS thinking of adding a "i" to the "to let" sign though.
Very very nice textures you all. Can't wait to see a release of the grass textures :yummy:
Hi TagForce,

I more thing but I am sure you are already aware of it.
Some textures might look nice from TV view but looks ugly from close up,like view on wheels,in car view or when taking screenshots with low FOV.

Its hard top find really good textures(the best way is probably to take some high Megapixel camera and take screenshots for yourself)which has balanced final result between several camera views.
From my 1st opinion the track texture looks very,very promissing(I still didnt see close up) but the grass details look from TV view a bit big so final result when you are close-up will not look probably good.Dunno as I said and will repeat myself again I didnt see close-up yet.

I tried some test several times but ended mostly with good looking textures from TV view but ugly result from close up.
Quote from bo-kristiansen :I dont get it...
I havent changed any text on that one.

Odd. My apologies for the slur on your very capable English.

Quote from bo-kristiansen : but nice that you notice things like that.

Is it? Maybe if I watched the road with as much concentration I'd drive a bit better!

Quote from bo-kristiansen : I WAS thinking of adding a "i" to the "to let" sign though.

Don't we all!
Quote from DEVIL 007 :Hi TagForce,

I more thing but I am sure you are already aware of it.
Some textures might look nice from TV view but looks ugly from close up,like view on wheels,in car view or when taking screenshots with low FOV.

Its hard top find really good textures(the best way is probably to take some high Megapixel camera and take screenshots for yourself)which has balanced final result between several camera views.
From my 1st opinion the track texture looks very,very promissing(I still didnt see close up) but the grass details look from TV view a bit big so final result when you are close-up will not look probably good.Dunno as I said and will repeat myself again I didnt see close-up yet.

I tried some test several times but ended mostly with good looking textures from TV view but ugly result from close up.

Well, for one it's logical that good looking textures won't look as good from really close up... That's because textures have a finite resolution, and a finite amount of detail... When you go close up with textures of 1024x1024 you lose some detail because they are starting to pixelate a lot... Problem is, I would love to use really high resolution textures, but going over 2048 squares will have a serious impact on texture memory. Creating mipmaps for them will use well over 7MB... And since with my textures pixelation occurs only a few feet in front of the car, I'm not going to sacrifice that. You're mostly driving, and the amount of detail in the textures is enough to make it look really cool at anything over walking speed.

I took a shot for you from the wheel cam... The grass still looks flat, but that's mostly because there's not real finished edge yet (I'm working on that, but looks worse than what I have atm). I'm considering doubling the grass texture in size, so the grass strands get smaller, but I think this looks fine for now.

What do you think?
Attached images
cls_westhill.jpg

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG