The online racing simulator
Quote from Shotglass :i kinda like the second pic ... that degree of dinamic with a lot finer graining might look nice ... or not

devil will you release your we textures anytime soon ?

I cant release it and I even wasnt working on it now due to workload in my job where I spend almost all the time now.
The texture anyway looked very nice for taking such a screenshots but looked bad from wheel/TV view and had some repeating effect.
I would need to put a lot of efforts to make something good looking.I said no way untill there will be some free time for me.
Quote from DEVIL 007 :Hi,
Yeh I am using like 8-16xAA and 16AF.I think the problem is that the texture is too much plain.I am not making critics your way but rather suggestions and feedback from testing it.
I welcome every effort making LFS better.

yes i understand it's the same thing i was saying...in other words: don't keep for yourself the bad judgements, because bad judgements (with explanations) is what i need to make it each time better!

Quote from DEVIL 007 :I cant release it and I even wasnt working on it now due to workload in my job where I spend almost all the time now.
The texture anyway looked very nice for taking such a screenshots but looked bad from wheel/TV view and had some repeating effect.
I would need to put a lot of efforts to make something good looking.I said no way untill there will be some free time for me.

i thought you cannot release it primarily because the author didn't give his permission...if this is not the case, can you at least post the current dds to see it in action? thanks!

Quote from Shotglass :i kinda like the second pic ... that degree of dinamic with a lot finer graining might look nice ... or not

preference noted ...obviously at the end i will overlay my fxr skin ...no i was just kidding... i will put my xfr skin!!!
here are today's updates...
today i've tried some wild and meant-to-be-crappy tests of my "S2" -> imperfections and variety.

in all those tests i used as base a mix of fine grain and mid grain, the tecnique adopted was quick and dirt, but the results make me believe that fixing some intermediate process i can make look much better, for now i had to smooth things removing too much depth from texture.

in the first screenie there are also few small cracks, while in all others there are more and also bigger cracks, the result is imho good as start and i think it only needs tuning the crack dimensions, quantity and directions -> let me know what you think...

an last screenies i added effect of tires passed by...at that point i realised eric is a pure masochist...each texture is used sometimes as whole, some other time only parts of it and merged almost "randomly" ...that issue will be "dramatic" when retexturing the whole tracks i really hope devs can disclose such weirdo mappings, otherwise will be a madness to reverse enginer it all by myself
Attached images
Honey_Aston_11_01.jpg
Honey_Aston_12_01.jpg
Honey_Aston_12_02.jpg
Honey_Aston_13_01.jpg
Honey_Aston_14_01.jpg
Looks pretty nice I must say, but isn't the tarmac a bit too dark? It looks like it has been just laid down, not like a used race track. :/
Quote from Matrixi :Looks pretty nice I must say, but isn't the tarmac a bit too dark? It looks like it has been just laid down, not like a used race track. :/

yep you're right! i knew it but as i said those are "wild tests" for imperfections, at the end i left it dark just to see how it would look like (also im biased: i like dark tarmac ), btw your observation is perfectly right

Quote from VALE 46 :That looks like wet tarmac

compared to dry ... http://www.fluent.com/worldwid ... /pr/img/Renault2004_d.jpg

do you mean only because of the dark color or also for the graphical look overall?
Grabbed these, they look good so far, thanks!
#133 - Don
me and kidcodea are working on a new hires skies for blackwood and southcity. should be released in few days
both skies are still WIP.
Attached images
new_sc_sky01.jpg
new_bl_sky.jpg
Nice stuff as usual.
DoN
Sweet!

More hi-res tex coming up! ;D
@ Don which gravel texture have you got @ Blackwood?
Quote from Don :me and kidcodea are working on a new hires skies for blackwood and southcity. should be released in few days
both skies are still WIP.

*looks out the window* hmm i've seen better

#139 - Don
Quote from ajp71 :@ Don which gravel texture have you got @ Blackwood?

here is a new update of my work:
i recall that this week is dedicated to work on imperfections.
in the attached screenie, you will see the basic texture improved by mixing seamlessly different tarmac grains to bring more variety, then i recreated the juncture of different tarmac areas (the black lines also present on original textures), but i have to make realistic, now it look like just the originals...i also made the border of tarmac looking like a real border, but i don't know if it really adds something or make it look worse -> give me opinions please

about cracks i'm thinking of putting cracks only near borders, because in real life no one will race on a too damaged track, but maybe i will add some very small also in the middle.

...and the best thing i did is reproducing quite realistically i think, the effect of tires passed on since a long time, actually the screenshot doesn't make it evident, but while racing the sense of speed let me stunned (but could be me overstimating myself ... ), i didn't posted the dds to try yourself because the actual version has too aliasing (repetition effect), so i ill make it available as soon as i will create a non-aliased version.

let me know what do you think, please.
Attached images
Honey_Aston_15_01.jpg
Quote from nath2004uk :through those 2 pictures' well it just looks the same?

i just posted ONE picture, what other are you referring to?
If yah had a white line i think it would be awesome. But the edge disturbs me :hide:
Quote from Honey :here is a new update of my work:
i recall that this week is dedicated to work on imperfections.
in the attached screenie, you will see the basic texture improved by mixing seamlessly different tarmac grains to bring more variety, then i recreated the juncture of different tarmac areas (the black lines also present on original textures), but i have to make realistic, now it look like just the originals...i also made the border of tarmac looking like a real border, but i don't know if it really adds something or make it look worse -> give me opinions please

about cracks i'm thinking of putting cracks only near borders, because in real life no one will race on a too damaged track, but maybe i will add some very small also in the middle.

...and the best thing i did is reproducing quite realistically i think, the effect of tires passed on since a long time, actually the screenshot doesn't make it evident, but while racing the sense of speed let me stunned (but could be me overstimating myself ... ), i didn't posted the dds to try yourself because the actual version has too aliasing (repetition effect), so i ill make it available as soon as i will create a non-aliased version.

let me know what do you think, please.

Nice improvement I have to say/
I have been working in the night...well from 23 till 1:30 today on texture for BL,but the texture can be used anywhere.I got almost to similar result to yours.

I will post some screenshots when I will get home.I have been also playing with white line being imperfected and got some really nice results.At least I know now how to make it good looking.

See for screenshots around 18:45-19:00 when I ll be back from work.
Hi all,
so here is my promise.I took a bit longer getting back to home from my job though.
Its probably not final result as I would like to experiment with some more variations to the texture but I would like to really here some feedback from you guys.Bad or good doesnt matter ofcourse.
Attached images
test001.jpg
test002.jpg
test003.jpg
test004.jpg
test005.jpg
I think it looks pretty good. Although the stripes on the curbing is much too fine. Driving at speed it would just be a blur of blue and white. As a comparison, the curbing at Road Atlanta is green and white. Each colored section is nearly as long as a car!

Laguna Seca has thinner stripes, but still several feet per section.
Quote from DEVIL 007 :Nice improvement I have to say/

thanks! said from you who made great works with textures, i'm just flattered
Quote :
I have been working in the night...well from 23 till 1:30 today on texture for BL,but the texture can be used anywhere.

yep also originals textures are mostly the same base and from track to track only change some bright/dark sections or floor paintings
Quote :
I got almost to similar result to yours.

that may means that we are on the right way and/or we are on the same wavelenght...or also that we may be both plain wrong
we both are using similar base texture wich is imo very realistic (i started from a real tarmac photo, so...), i also tried in the past tests (as you can see in my past screenies) with other types of tarmac (smoother), but the one you are using and the one i choose as my final tarmac are of the type that everyone has in mind when thinks of tarmac.
my doubts may be on how it looks when going at high speed, because when i used the original depth (similar to your screenis), i had a bad flickering effect when moving, thus i had to make textures with less "depth" and more smooter, if you don't see such problem (with AA/AF off) then you did a very good job in respect to this issue.
about the junctures on the tarmac, i think would be better to keep 2 of them just like the original, the effect is very well made, but imo they should be straight, a randomic line like in screenies is not realistic imo and also imo don't look good, if straight (with small curves at the end of the texture, like the originals) they would be awesome.
the white lines are very good and i guess that the vertical black line is there only because is still a WIP
in the end is a very good work

if you would try a bit different look i'd suggest to make it smoother (for more "f1-like" tracks like aston or kyoto i think it may be more realistic -> check also cue-ball screenies) and add some vertical light low-freq randomic shadows to simulate tire marks and to add sense of speed

EDIT:
PS: do you use AA/AF in your screenshots? what size do you use for textures, 1024 or 2048?
Quote from sil3ntwar :If yah had a white line i think it would be awesome. But the edge disturbs me :hide:

i always forget to make the white line layer to be visible for screenies, btw the white line is still like in my old screenies, even tough i already have some ideas to make it more realistic...however i'm still not working on it, only tarmac atm, maybe tomorrow or friday i will work on anew version of the white line

yes the edge is not convincing myself too, i will try with a much smaller one, if it will not add something, i will remove it.
Quote from Honey :

EDIT:
PS: do you use AA/AF in your screenshots? what size do you use for textures, 1024 or 2048?

Hi,
I now always use for screenshots 16xAA and 16AF adn the textures are 2048*2048 resolutions.In fact they are not as you can see in the original texture the track is divided in half horizontally.

That black line in the white line is there as a failure when the line was build.Like in realife...the imperfection make it better looking in my mind however if people will not like it I am going to listen to them and make updates or more versions.

You know as well that Eric made some really weird mapping which make creating cutom textures very hard.The mapping I would say can be used only perfectly with the textures Eric made.Said he cant provide the hi-res versions.

I am going to release tonight my WIP project and will continue to working on it.I cant promise any quick updates as I am really busy in my job :-(
Quote from DEVIL 007 :Hi,
I now always use for screenshots 16xAA and 16AF adn the textures are 2048*2048 resolutions.In fact they are not as you can see in the original texture the track is divided in half horizontally.

mmm, maybe it's better to see also with AA/AF off to check final look, because without filters sometimes the difference is huge
Quote :
That black line in the white line is there as a failure when the line was build.Like in realife...the imperfection make it better looking in my mind however if people will not like it I am going to listen to them and make updates or more versions.

ah, ok...it doesn't bother me, i only thought it wasn't on purpose, but if i had to chose i'd prefer without the black line
Quote :
You know as well that Eric made some really weird mapping which make creating cutom textures very hard.The mapping I would say can be used only perfectly with the textures Eric made.Said he cant provide the hi-res versions.

i know how tricky it is with such weird mappings, i have made a texture with grids and coordinates to measure the exact mapping of lfs (if it may be of any help i can release it) basically there are 2 ideal vertical lines where textures are flipped and mirrored i can understand the insane logic behind it, but i also think is really masochism...
lucky me, my base texture was totally aliasing free, so it wasn't bothered by the double "flip n mirror", but adding effects forced me to face it seriously (hence the grid-texture)
Quote :
I am going to release tonight my WIP project and will continue to working on it.I cant promise any quick updates as I am really busy in my job :-(

don't worry i don't think that really interested people in an hi-res addon (like me) are in such a hurry, some other people released something with too much hurry and in such cases the results aren't better than originals...
me too have few time to work on it (i have photoshop only at work and it's not on my workstation, so i have to borrow it when it's possible), if there is something that we lfs users learnt the hard way over our skins is patience for releases lol devs taught us very well to be patient
Quote from Honey :do you mean only because of the dark color or also for the graphical look overall?

I was refering to the dark colour

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG