The online racing simulator
Hope there will be soon answer from Scawen as he mentioend that he will ask Eric if he would like to share hi-res if exists.
Well, I don't think there will be an answer "soon" - depending on what you mean by "soon" - because I'm not going to interrupt him just for this. Eric and I are both on holiday at the moment, and I know Eric is very busy right now with non-LFS things. I just said I would ask him at some time.

But I am almost certain that he won't have, or won't want to make, high res versions of several textures. Maybe he'd have a few around but it won't be what you want. Anyway this is extremely low priority. Our priority is to finish S2 so we can get onto the meaty work for the S3 graphical improvements. I doubt very much that Eric will want to spend time updating loads of textures, which he has already tried to set to the appropriate balance between resolution and memory usage, and has done quite well in most cases. I don't deny there might be a camera view here and there which sees a texture a bit too low res, or a sign from an older version which could do with a step up in res, or whatever - and that's what I meant by reporting a really too low res texture as a bug, if you want to.

Drivers and cockpit improvements have already been mentioned by Eric so no worries there. It's not just texture resolutions. In fact he's waiting for some better mapping functions from me for the drivers as we plan do do nice driver and helmet skins. Please don't ask me which patch or version they will be in, because I can't see into the future.
I'm going to turn my attention to some of the other textures soon for those of us that want and can run higher resolution graphics. The grass textures are the key ones that would make a huge improvement but they'll be quite hard to do and i'm keen not to change the graphical style of the game.

I plan to do the trees soon because I am going to make them by rendering some 3d models which I need to make for another project anyway.

There's a few other key textures which if I can find stock artwork I will redo, like the ambulance texture is horridly low res at the moment, and i'll probably update some of the sign posts as they should not be too hard to do.
Quote from Scawen :Please don't ask me which patch or version they will be in, because I can't see into the future.

Okay, I demand a refund now. Nowhere did you state that you can't see in the future, I'm really disappointed of you :mad:

PS: When will S3 come out?

()
Quote from BWX232 :2 questions.....

1) So what the hell is the difference between unsupported and miscellaneous addons? Why two separate sub-forums?

2) Why has no one has re-textured LFS in the x amount of years it's been out? hmmm....

Yeah this are actually same quesitons I ask myself. If you look on the rfactor forums every converter low res F1C track has by now very high res textures. Even netkar is getting them. but LFS not very wired.

Whats there to change from patch to patch? I mean this are not textures like car skins which must fit the shape.
Quote from Sawyer :Yeah this are actually same quesitons I ask myself. If you look on the rfactor forums every converter low res F1C track has by now very high res textures. Even netkar is getting them. but LFS not very wired.

Whats there to change from patch to patch? I mean this are not textures like car skins which must fit the shape.

Its because LFS is so good that people that would be interested in doing this spend their time on the track rather than in photoshop.
Quote :Whats there to change from patch to patch? I mean this are not textures like car skins which must fit the shape.

Each modification you make to a car skin you can see instantly in the CMX viewer, and when you make a change you know it effects just that car.

When you make a change to a track texture it could effect multiple parts of several configurations, and loading up to check isn't instant at all.

Hense in my last patch there's a couple of textures that need adjustment. The track surface on the start/finish line of SO sprint 2 and the infield runoffs at Kyoto National+GP.

It's a lot more work, substantially more, than doing a car skin.
Quote from Scawen :In fact he's waiting for some better mapping functions from me for the drivers as we plan do do nice driver and helmet skins.

That sounds cool
You should consider making some sort of texture blending, because thats really powerful as you dont have to make tiling texture all the time

Wasnt texture blending already used in Black & White 1 ?
i think what a couple of ppl are forgetting here is that LFS is a 3 stage product, rfactor, netkar etc are all 1 stage products..(obviously they wil get updates and things) therefore they have to look good as they come out..

would you of rather just not go to play LFS until S3 has been released..and then see what complaints you have ?? i didnt think so..

so come on.. give the guys a break.. wait till S3 is finished b4 saying i want hi res textures and crap..

just put some trust into the devs and play it how it is atm and get some lappage done!

Edit: if there is anything that annoys me more than the textures its the browny coloured tyres.. cant we get something to fix that...
Quote from Scawen :Well, I don't think there will be an answer "soon" - depending on what you mean by "soon" - because I'm not going to interrupt him just for this. Eric and I are both on holiday at the moment, and I know Eric is very busy right now with non-LFS things. I just said I would ask him at some time.

But I am almost certain that he won't have, or won't want to make, high res versions of several textures. Maybe he'd have a few around but it won't be what you want. Anyway this is extremely low priority. Our priority is to finish S2 so we can get onto the meaty work for the S3 graphical improvements. I doubt very much that Eric will want to spend time updating loads of textures, which he has already tried to set to the appropriate balance between resolution and memory usage, and has done quite well in most cases. I don't deny there might be a camera view here and there which sees a texture a bit too low res, or a sign from an older version which could do with a step up in res, or whatever - and that's what I meant by reporting a really too low res texture as a bug, if you want to.

Drivers and cockpit improvements have already been mentioned by Eric so no worries there. It's not just texture resolutions. In fact he's waiting for some better mapping functions from me for the drivers as we plan do do nice driver and helmet skins. Please don't ask me which patch or version they will be in, because I can't see into the future.

Hi Scawen,
I definately mean "soon" as something for future as I get to the fact that in LFS everything takes a longer time.Its not that I am complaining just how i get used to LFS developing process.

I apreciate all your answers here and sorry for interapting you and Eric`s holidays.Enjoy them all

I think everybody know that if LFS want to be a strong competitor the LFS graphic need to make huge steps in S3 version.I am really sorry but Eric will have to increase the texture resolution in the future.I know its quite hard work and how much time it will take.Maybe it would be better for later changes to make all textures seperate for each track so the updates can be made quicker and also the work easier for the guys who would like to make DDS mods.

The most areas where LFS needs to be graphically updated is LFS 3D engine(DX9 for sure),textures resolution,polygon count but you know with Eric quite well.

Once again, Scawen I really apreciate your effort and time on this matter.The great and quick feedback from you or Victor(shame eric doesnt come here more often ) is something which also keep me in this wonderfurll simulator project.Repetead several times but keep your good work.We all love it

P.S.>Scawen I think there is definately demand for hi-res as you can notice how many people viewed this thread already.Maybe something to put on the list higher
Quote :Wasnt texture blending already used in Black & White 1 ?

It's in DX7, and possiblier earlier versions (i'm not sure)... multi-texturing had been in use for quite a while. I suspect LFS uses it on the skidmarks and the dark line, but i'm not sure ... It's a darn good effect (the skidmarks stay!) and i'm not sure what Scawen has used to make it work - but I digress.

The cars use a secondary texture layer with the reflection mapping. That's quite clever actually (although pretty much a standard feature of race games), it's quite difficult to mix texture layers with a reflection map as it uses quite a lot of alpha channel which can cause Z culling issues which LFS doesnt suffer from.

The problem with multi-texturing as I think you are imagining it is that it is applied across an entire-surface because it is a tiled texture. This could cause issues if the way LFS handles surfaces isn't suited to the detail map because of it's collision system (are kerbs a different surface?). Detail mapping is great for rolling terrains, but often does not look as good in a modelled environment such as an LFS circuit.
Quote from Becky Rose :I'm going to turn my attention to some of the other textures soon for those of us that want and can run higher resolution graphics. The grass textures are the key ones that would make a huge improvement but they'll be quite hard to do and i'm keen not to change the graphical style of the game.

I plan to do the trees soon because I am going to make them by rendering some 3d models which I need to make for another project anyway.

There's a few other key textures which if I can find stock artwork I will redo, like the ambulance texture is horridly low res at the moment, and i'll probably update some of the sign posts as they should not be too hard to do.

Hi Becky,
I would like to see rahter more hires-textures made from scratch but I will try your "mod" soon.

Is there a chance that you will updates also the track surround textures?I mean the one like the mountains textures around the track.They are really pretty low-res.I think they need to be done as new one from scratch as there will not help the process for increasing texture resolutions you use currently.
Many thanks for your feedback
Those backdrops are best generated in a tool like Terragen which I dont have. I know that I downloaded some hi-res versions of some of them though which another 3rd party user had made, but i'm not sure on the link right now.
Isnt the "classic" multi texturing just putting 2 textures onto one surface, with some filter to make both of them visible?
What I mean is: fade one texture into another, like a gradient

I dont know in how far those two stick together.
Where it's traditionally used, if you imagine a landscape as one 3d object that you then stretch a base texture over, but because of the size of the landscape it's quite a low resolution texture. However it has all the basic colours of the landscape such as paths, white backdrop for cliffs, green for grass etc. You then apply a second texture which has contrasting white and black constrating areas and apply that to the landscape too - but you tile this second texture so that it is repeated numerous times, the effect is the second texture creates the detail and the base texture provides the base colour.

The problem with this method is that it is per-surface, and a game like LFS probably has it's surfaces organised for collision. Although a certain amount of multi-texturing is already in use in the game.

There are various methods of applying a secondary texture, whether you add the RGB values togheter or multipliy them determines the final effect, on top of that with DX9 you can apply shader2.0 effects on the secondary texture and really bring the scene to life - but I have to say i've looked at shaders and they are a complex beast. I dont envy anyone coding them, I choose not too .
#141 - Don
Quote from Becky Rose :Those backdrops are best generated in a tool like Terragen which I dont have. I know that I downloaded some hi-res versions of some of them though which another 3rd party user had made, but i'm not sure on the link right now.

from the pics i saw on terragen website it looks like its more for generating "mountains" rather than "landscapes" (which is used for example on westhill and blackwood or a city backdrop in southcity). Imho the landscapes would fit lfs better, than just those "boring rocky mountains", but its so hard to get good texture of it you cant really make 360 degree panorama of landscape without having some objects close to your cam...
You can theoretically create any kind of landscape, but as there are no trees (unless you use some mods), or other objects, it often looks a bit unrealistic. The skies we have now are already pretty nice.
Please I want to hit 4000
Quote from DEVIL 007 :Please I want to hit 4000

4000 what?
Quote from BWX232 :4000 what?

Views...happend
Quote from BWX232 :Considering it is a real 3D scene rendered with HDR and PS3 and very little AF since my system can't handle it..

compared to a tiny 1MB DDS texture..

I wouldn't be putting Oblivion down.. I mean I think it would be stupid to have a 3D engine like that for a race sim right now too- it would eat too much system resources... but please...

Saying Oblivion looks ridiculous? Have you seen Oblivion running on a PC? After all it isn't a screenshot generator. I don't know - this whole conversation is getting over run with LFS die hard fans that will say or do anything to praise LFS at all costs and put down any other PC game ever made ... I like a good discussion about GFX in a PC game.. but I can only handle so much BS.. C-ya.

if u don't know how to post images on forum then please don't do it.
Quote from Galthar :if u don't know how to post images on forum then please don't do it.

Why he cant post the picture using imageshack.He didnt break the forum rules.
Quote from DEVIL 007 :Why he cant post the picture using imageshack.He didnt break the forum rules.

maybe I have something wrong. But when I open that link instead of [*img] I have only a miniature of that huge image.
Quote from Galthar :maybe I have something wrong. But when I open that link instead of [*img] I have only a miniature of that huge image.

You have to click on that image in the opened link to get a full size

Please can we get to the topic otherwise its useless to bump up this thread.
Edit .th out of the URL. It's short for "thumbnail", which I think should explain the problem... For the 4th time...

Or to use sarcasm: If you dont know how to read a thread, please dont do it.

Question for DEVs - Track textures avaible in HI-REs?
(194 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG