The online racing simulator
Tedious
(59 posts, closed, started )
Tedious
So you start a single player race the indestructible scalextric AI ram you off the track, start the race again.

Then you start multiplayer race and get rammed off the track in a multitude of imaginative ways, someone going backwards while playing the awooga horn is the funniest so far.

At first I was very impressed with this game, so much so I bought the S2 then during the next few hours was beat into submission and uninstalled.

Please tell me I'm missing something or there is an older version that plays better, anything to justify buying this game.
You probably didnt found the right server(s) to play
Quote from Tox Laximus :So you start a single player race the indestructible scalextric AI ram you off the track, start the race again.

Then you start multiplayer race and get rammed off the track in a multitude of imaginative ways, someone going backwards while playing the awooga horn is the funniest so far.

At first I was very impressed with this game, so much so I bought the S2 then during the next few hours was beat into submission and uninstalled.

Please tell me I'm missing something or there is an older version that plays better, anything to justify buying this game.

The decent servers prevent people from driving backwards, when they try they get auto-pitted or kicked. So all in all it indeed comes down to finding a better server or a better hour to play at where more serious sim racers are up.

You might also want to check out to participate in some leauges; not all of them require you to be a top champion to adhere to a washinglist of rules and skin rules and whatever, eg. The Original LFS League (OLFSL). Gives very good racing, goals to prepare for, new combo's to learn, ect... But not a must to have good online racing in LFS, it can occur in daily public racing too, just got to find the right server and people (like in every game).
Well, to begin with the multiplayer mode is not quite suitable when you're just getting into the sim. Take one car one track and get used them in single player mode. A good start would be either of the demo cars at Blackwood Grand Prix.

Yes - the AI has its limitations, but what you can do is simply add one AI and race against it. At least try to keep up as you progressively increase its difficulty level to the highest.

Pop into a well administrated demo server (AirAttack, Redline Racing etc.) and see how the top guys are driving. Join in once you think that you're not a hazard for other drivers. Sure, you may drive/race safely in close quarter in real life - but it takes time to get used to everything in LFS.

From the sounds of things (people crashing into you, a lot!) it seems like you may have been trying out not so well administrated servers - or you simply might have joined in at a bad time. Continuous bad driving will not be tolerated in the "good" servers.

There aren't many S1/S2 servers (as far as I know) that will be any good to you until you get used to the cars and learn the different tracks. That's why I suggested the demo combo - there's always plenty of servers and drivers in Bl1 with the demo cars. But demo being demo, it all depends on server (and if any admins are connected at that time to oversee any wreckers).

Once you get used to everything - it takes you to a whole new level. Un-installing LFS at this point is a shame.
This simulation is overwhelming for beginners but some of the suggestions are very helpful, I could see the potential but had no idea how to get there, now I can see a path.

Thanks
#6 - Sobis
You should really consider trying one of the cargame.nl servers. For start I think you should try S1 server, there is no GTR or FWD GTR, so there won't be any super fast cars. And because of that, you'll be less likely to ruin someones race. When you'll get used to the cars, go to S2 server. Yes, it will be harder there, but much more fun to drive.
-
(UnknownMaster21) DELETED by UnknownMaster21
Quote from Sobis :You should really consider trying one of the cargame.nl servers. For start I think you should try S1 server, there is no GTR or FWD GTR, so there won't be any super fast cars. And because of that, you'll be less likely to ruin someones race. When you'll get used to the cars, go to S2 server. Yes, it will be harder there, but much more fun to drive.

+1

(I was going to post already but could not edit the post and it got ummm messy so I post new one lol)
Maybe if i tell you how i started ...

Found out LFS when looking for car games to use a 20 Euros wheel
Start playing in demo servers with FBMW ...
After 1 month i was completly addicted and decided to buy a G27 (clutch & h-shifter) and buyed LFS S2

Tryed all the cars for 2-3 laps in single mode
I fall in love imeddiatly for UF GTR (didnt try anyother since there)
I found out that the funny tracks for this car are South City tracks

There were at the time no servers only for UFR cars, South City tracks, and only for clutch & h-shifter wheels ... so i decided to create one. This was like 2-3 months ago.

Today i made many friends in the server, have a lot of fun, very good and close races ... no crashers at all

All this just to say ... if you like the driving in LFS and cant find a proper server for you ... dont just complain about it ... and do something to change it
This might not be taken very well, but you will come to realise this the more you play LFS. The problem, might be you. If you find your being crashed into or that you just can't get a good lap in sometimes can mean that you just ain't being fast enough. And expericanced racers know how to get past you whilst causing the minimum of impact on their race and causing the maximum of impact on yours. They don't want anything to get in the way of thier hotlap.

You'll get to learn the tracks, the pinch points, when to move, when to block, who to move too, where your likley to get in the way, where people are likely to get in your way. One of the biggest issues is the closing speeds in corners from someone who is set up right, to someone who doesn't have a clue. Your going slow where everyone just isn't expecting a car to be going slow.

But on the whole, once your off the demo servers people get a whole lot more patient with you and will share setups and hints and tips to get you up too speed. And when you do get up to speed, then the real racing begins. Keep at it, patience is rewarded in LFS.
#11 - troy
Quote from Sobis :You should really consider trying one of the cargame.nl servers. For start I think you should try S1 server, there is no GTR or FWD GTR, so there won't be any super fast cars. And because of that, you'll be less likely to ruin someones race. When you'll get used to the cars, go to S2 server. Yes, it will be harder there, but much more fun to drive.

I would never advise a newcomer (who seems to search for clean racing mind you) to go to cargame, that is probably one of the worst places to start. First of all the different classes do not make it easy to keep an overview when you're already struggling finding the sweet spot in your own car, second of all the driving standards are sub par.

As mentioned already by other people I would advise you to go on one of the well admined and looked after servers with just one class of cars so you can actually learn the lines and braking points from faster and more experienced drivers.

If you're hunting for some setups check http://setupgrid.net/ or http://setupfield.teaminferno.hu/ , those are mostly hotlap sets though and you may find it difficult to drive those at first. The standard race_s set is a good start until you get closer to the limits of your car, once you're in around 1-5 seconds (depending on the track) of the midfield cars I would consider searching for a set that suits the track you are currently racing on.
Troy - well, I said he should go first to the S1 server. It is less populated, less class, so He'll be less likely to destroy someones race.
+1 for Troy's post

Also, find the combo you like and practice it offline for a while. Find the set from links given above or just ask someone to share (people usually do share), watch WR hotlaps. That is the best way to learn the car and discover it's limits. That gives you extra confidence later when you join a multi player server.
It seems the server only update what seems like twice a second, anyway to make it smoother so I can see whats going on without the jerkiness?
Quote from Tox Laximus :It seems the server only update what seems like twice a second, anyway to make it smoother so I can see whats going on without the jerkiness?

I presume the fps is the problem you are referring to. In the top left or right corner (I forget ) there is a number that maybe changes and that is the fps your computer is running the game at. To improve this, go to options and set all the graphics lower.

Yeah, game doesn't look as sexy but you will be able to race a lot better and the game will look a hell of a lot smoother.
Quote from GianniC :
The Original LFS League (OLFSL). Gives very good racing, goals to prepare for, new combo's to learn, ect...

http://www.lfs-league.com/ <link for OLFSL ^

And this is something quite the same like OLFSL but with newcommers. Good adminppl, good drivers and just like OLFSL u get goals to prepare for and new combos with different cars.
http://www.absolute-beginners.net/news.php

I´ve been in both and it´s a good experience when u starting to pick up racing in lfs "was drifter" and public racing dosent give the same in a way.
@zippytheone, not pc fps I meant the server snaps/fps in multiplayer, after looking at the dedi server setup they can only update to clients 3-6 times a second, for smooth appearance it would need to be 60 times a second, q3engine games can run 100 snaps/fps so I don't know why LFS is limited to such a low amount.

@Nicee, thx, will be using those links
Quote from Tox Laximus :after looking at the dedi server setup they can only update to clients 3-6 times a second, for smooth appearance it would need to be 60 times a second

For that you would need super powerful host just for 20 car server and very good internet connection to join one...
Believe me,6 packets per second in enough to run smoothly - host just updates car situation 6 times per second and not raw car position.
Well, I knew multiplayer would be corrupted before buying because of the vicious circle of admin verses hacks always trying to outdo each other until they make it so obvious that no clean player will join, but that does not stop me hosting a game that is clean, usually switching off any remote server control does the trick as these cheats can only be put in place by the developers.

In other words the cheats are already there and the admin have access to them and the hacks find access to them, remove server control and no one can cheat, try it if you don't believe me but it does upset these people and they will try to crash your server and try to make you go away for ruining their little secret.

I only really wanted to race AI but they are not very good so its either uninstall or host a clean game.
I'm quite surprised here. From another thread:
Quote :[...]fed up with the cheating.

How many cheaters have you seen over last few (5) days - so much so that you think playing online is no use?

Demo servers - yes, there are users who use cheats/hacks because, hey, you can create another account if one get banned.

But in S1/S2 servers - people rarely cheat (not saying that everyone is clean), because their licence account might get banned from that server (+others) if evidence is brought up against them.

Quote :vicious circle of admin verses hacks

Care to elaborate on this? Is it really that bad out there in multi-player mode?
#21 - troy
Quote from Tox Laximus :.... usually switching off any remote server control does the trick as these cheats can only be put in place by the developers.....

You lost me there, but I love the inside knowledge on the community you gained in the few days of having a license! You should meet up with Racer X NZ you two would make a good duo.
@troy, all the gaming communities are the same wherever you go.

Devs always put little gems into the code of their servers so they can look like gods to us mortals, only them and their friends know about it but the hacks know how to find these gems, so a battle rages with the admin trying to stop the hacks from finding the gems, its usually just a password or clientside toy.

But its not obvious as with this game it can be increase of 5% power and grip, not many would notice this and it would be impossible to prove especially on servers that only update 6 time a second, so you can't see the control detail. (Thats the same way Halo3 hid aimbotters)

Crysis 2 fell into this hole in a bad way.

Anyway I should know better and I'm a moron for giving MP another chance, can I get a refund?
Quote from Tox Laximus :@troy, all the gaming communities are the same wherever you go.

Devs always put little gems into the code of their servers so they can look like gods to us mortals, only them and their friends know about it but the hacks know how to find these gems, so a battle rages with the admin trying to stop the hacks from finding the gems, its usually just a password or clientside toy.

But its not obvious as with this game it can be increase of 5% power and grip, not many would notice this and it would be impossible to prove especially on servers that only update 6 time a second, so you can't see the control detail. (Thats the same way Halo3 hid aimbotters)

Crysis 2 fell into this hole in a bad way.

Anyway I should know better and I'm a moron for giving MP another chance, can I get a refund?

Nonsense, no way would the devs of such a small, niche, and community dependant product risk the reputation and integrity of their software by engineering in hacks and cheats that they will use to "show off".

Seen this kind of reaction before, though. Usually caused by the same thing.
#24 - troy
I don't even know if I should keep replying, you either are a troll or completely delusional.

In short:
No the developer (!) certainly did not put in hidden cheats
No people do not cheat online in S2 servers.*
No the server doesn't need updating more then 6 times a second
No to everything you may think of replying right now

You better inform yourself before you pull general statements out of your behind that may be correct for different games with a lot bigger userbase.

*To elaborate on that statement, I can count the cheaters I saw in my 5 years on one hand, that must be a pretty low percentage and they where banned in no time.
Quote :But its not obvious as with this game it can be increase of 5% power and grip, not many would notice this

Where is this coming from? People overtaking in a similar car which just seems to have more power therefore faster than yours? People taking corners faster (5% extra grip) when your car seems to understeer/oversteer if you try giving a bit extra gas?

IF that's the case it's all down to how [experience] drivers race and how well they're cars are set-up, and not hidden gems put in by the developers to give you some oomph.
This thread is closed

Tedious
(59 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG