The online racing simulator
GCSE Results day '11
(16 posts, started )
Dont bother too much about it. They barely mean anything...

Good luck though.
If you have been doing well all along, there shouldn't be any reasons you should be worried lol. If not (like me), take it along as it goes. Anyway I got my GCE 'O' results a few months ago and I'm pretty surprised I can do that well. :P Got into the institution and course I wanted.
#3 - Jakg
Holy crap my GCSE's were 4 years ago... somehow it feels longer.
no employer regardless of how much of an arse they are cares about secondry/second lvl education, unless you unqualified. Get a college degree or you'll end up in mc donalds
#5 - Jakg
Quote from theirishnoob :no employer regardless of how much of an arse they are cares about secondry/second lvl education, unless you unqualified. Get a college degree or you'll end up in mc donalds

What utter rubbish.

Am employer isn't going to be that impressed with nothing but BBBBBB GCSE's, but a bunch of D&E's is going to tell them everything they need to do.
Quote from Jakg :What utter rubbish.

Am employer isn't going to be that impressed with nothing but BBBBBB GCSE's, but a bunch of D&E's is going to tell them everything they need to do.

you know people ask for that ??

you go for a Business management position, all that's relevant is the last 2 years, providing you do a full degree ( which is what, 4 years afaik ? ) that's all that matters, that and relevant experience.

Employers only want to know what the want to know and that is weather you can do the job or not. GCSE's are so far flung in the past they don't matter ( like the leaving cert here )
my gcse were 8 years ago :o i feel so old lol

my grades were crap but didnt care

still did 3 years college and uni
GSCEs or even A-Levels are only significantly important if you have a clear career goal that requires good academic results. Finding what you want to do in life is of far greater importance, if you don't have that, the exam results - good or bad - mean jack shit. Most kids however have pathetic career advisors who seem to push them in completely the wrong direction.

****, I flew through doing music at school and college with As and distinctions. Didn't really mean much as in the end wasn't what I really had the passion to do as a career. Mind you I got As in English at GCSE and I can't write or spell for shit. So it shows how representative grades are.
#9 - Jakg
Quote from theirishnoob :
you go for a Business management position, all that's relevant is the last 2 years, providing you do a full degree ( which is what, 4 years afaik ? ) that's all that matters, that and relevant experience.

"Full Degree"? If you have a degree of course employers aren't going to ask for your GCSE's (my CV doesn't even list them), but my point was if all you have is GCSE's then yes, they are important, and employers will care.
Quote from theirishnoob :Employers only want to know what the want to know and that is weather you can do the job or not. GCSE's are so far flung in the past they don't matter ( like the leaving cert here )

Most jobs involve some sort of reading/writing & numbers.

If someone got a D-E at Maths / English I would want to be sure they would actually be able to do that part of the role. If they got a bunch of A's it should be such a problem...
Quote from Intrepid :Mind you I got As in English at GCSE and I can't write or spell for shit. So it shows how representative grades are.

English at A-Level is nothing to do with writing - it's much more advanced than that.

In the same way people complain that people who have degrees in Maths struggle with mental arithmetic... thats not the point of what they are doing.
#10 - Jakg
Quote from JPeace :Not true, I got straight A's and B's in everything, but I got a D in Geography and an F in ART, yet still can get a job easily on GCSE's alone.

That was my point - you got A's in B's in most things, especially in the core stuff (Maths, English & Science).

If you got D's or below in most things (especially the core stuff) I expect things would be a bit different.
A smart boss will not just look at 'good' GCSE and A-level results. All they demonstrate that within a school environment the person sitting in front excelled. Schooling, despite getting good grades, didn't really teach me much. Being good at school isn't an accurate way to measure someone for a working environment. School is very much 1 size fits all, and most good employers understand it's a load of bullshit.

Unless you have a very very clear career goal, your results are not much more than an ego booster.

I certainly don't need some teacher telling me whether my writing is good or not, whether my maths is bad, whether my knowledge or history is good. I can do that for myself.

So if u did **** up, don't worry.... it's all bullshit
lets be honest. its not what you know anymore, its who you know. i walked out of school when i was 15 due to family reasons. so i had nothing and being in spain made it a whole lot harder. but if you commit to what you like doing, you get there. i now have the job ive wanted for ages. Good luck to everyone getting their results, My girlfriend got 4 A's and 3 B's so its going to be a while untill i hear the end of this :P
-
(brandons48) DELETED by brandons48
Quote :lets be honest. its not what you know anymore, its who you know.

Knowing the right people can make it easier but the 'traditional' way of getting good grades and applying for jobs also works...
Quote from TiJay :Knowing the right people can make it easier but the 'traditional' way of getting good grades and applying for jobs also works to a certain extent.

Fixed for my own opinion.
Quote from Jakg :Holy crap my GCSE's were 4 years ago... somehow it feels longer.

I got my results in 2002. How old do I feel now? You bastard.

Quote from jwardy :lets be honest. its not what you know anymore, its who you know.

Quote from TiJay :Knowing the right people can make it easier but the 'traditional' way of getting good grades and applying for jobs also works...

Anymore? That has been the case since employment came into existence. The "traditional" way was knowing someone who'd get you the job. And not a lot has changed since. If anything it has become more relevant with jobs being in short supply plus the influx of over qualified bin men. The guys who run the wagon out here both have honours degrees, once art (history) and one science (comp sci). They were unlucky in that they couldn't get a job with their degrees.

I was in the same boat for years (the most over qualified production line worker and then waiter), but by chance I happened to meet someone who knew someone who needed an IT consultant and blam, I got the job a week later.
Quote from brandons48 :Go mine, pretty happy with them.

At first I was a bit "meh" cause everyone else seemed to be getting higher. But after reading what you guys have said I feel a lot better about it. So thanks haha.

Did anyone else actually get theirs today? :I

I did (the other day obviously) and actually did alright

GCSE Results day '11
(16 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG