The online racing simulator
Why has Version B not lead into a lot of layout racing?
Hi there!

I am a little bit disappointed:

For a change it is not with the speed of lfs-development, but with the lfs-racing community:

I would have expected some of the existing or maybe some new server-owners with some sort of concept for practicable layout racing on XY-courses.

Instead I see some cruise und drift - expierencers horizonts broadened,
(REALLY great for cruisers and drifters), but NOTHING new in the well
visited racing servers.

I have tried out on some very clever layouts, even on servers with automatic rotation and a lot of smart Aerio-Support, but not enough
drivers have shown up to keep those servers "alive".

The pressure on the well established racing-servers to think over layouts
is zero through that lack of curious layout-drivers.

What could help to increase the possiblity of active racing on new track
layouts: A layout contest - homepage/forum maybe?

What do you people think?

Dandy
Maybe is because
1:More cruise servers than race servers.
2:There needs to be a LOCAL auto x layout server Imo.
On cargame and FOX Junkies, there are those open configurations available.
About public servers I can't answer surely,might be lazyness of server owners?

I'm hosting a semi-weekly fun race,since the new patch,most of the races have been on open configs,and I will keep it that way to give racers "something new". Some leagues also makes rounds on these.
Quote from Eclipsed :lazyness of server owners?

Right!

I offer four race servers (S2/S1/GTR/OW) with open track layouts and it's the fault of server owners?

How funny

Biggest complain of most racers: There is no racing line!

No I already was happy... Like Flame says, FOX also runs open tracks and so are undoubtedly some others...

Shortage from server side is not the discussion I think. There is not much motivation from the hardcore league racers to do some pickup racing. I have no idea why this is but still a lot of racers are just sitting on the sidelines waiting for... I don't know for what...

Cruisers got a boost from this opentrack feature and this community is even bigger then it was before. I must say that some cruise servers run a pretty neat InSim and that I'm glad that they are there to dump some highly inexperienced racers.. But... Even some average skilled racers end up there.

The newsletter also didn't helped to activate some idle racers... Sadly.
It is like it has been in the last two years:

We have more than enough servers, but only enough racers to fill a fraction of them. And since people tend to prefer server with many racers, the known list of servers stays at the top of the list.

LFS needs more racers, not more servers.
Hi cargame.nl!

I´d love to drive on those servers! May I?
(how/where?)

Dandy
I don't like racing on layouts that aren't supported by LFSworld... I love going on there and looking at my stats compaired to the entire racing community, but these new layouts just don't give than kind of reward... I made a layout myself (it's posted here), but my only server is already deticated to the Realistic NASCAR 500 and Friday XRG Race Nights.

My server doesn't pull a crowd hardly though, and nobody joins when I'm on layouts anyways.

Edit: Drift and Cruise takes up alot of the community's would be racers.. not that they are all good or even safe, but.. We need more races, and less servers really..
Quote from Cornys :I don't like racing on layouts that aren't supported by LFSworld...

Correct me if I'm wrong but the only difference with "proper" tracks is that PBs aren't recorded. But is that so much of a problem? With EQ Worry working hard to make them fully supported by Airio, we are going to have unofficial PB/HL charts and cool stuff of that kind.

The rest(millage, race results, etc) is recorded by LFSW.
Not all tracks are on racing standards...
@Litro, well I'd say most of them aren't.
Quote from GreyBull [CHA] :Correct me if I'm wrong but the only difference with "proper" tracks is that PBs aren't recorded. But is that so much of a problem? With EQ Worry working hard to make them fully supported by Airio, we are going to have unofficial PB/HL charts and cool stuff of that kind.

The rest(millage, race results, etc) is recorded by LFSW.

I'm not sure how that works, but I have a junk wheel atm, so all I'm trying to do is run up my !ex rating currently until I have a wheel which will actually work for me longer than 5 laps... Once I get a good wheel I'll look into racing them for event practice and such, but... until then... I'd much prefer to stay on "proper" track configs.

Anyways.. I want to go to 1 place to find my PB's... not 2... I'm lazy, and don't particularly like Airio's website
Quote from Dandy Dust :Hi cargame.nl!

I´d love to drive on those servers! May I?
(how/where?)

Dandy

umm....have you tried looking for "cargame.nl", one of the most populated servers
Quote from Dandy Dust :Hi there!

I am a little bit disappointed:

For a change it is not with the speed of lfs-development, but with the lfs-racing community:

I would have expected some of the existing or maybe some new server-owners with some sort of concept for practicable layout racing on XY-courses.

I have to agree, I was/ am disappointed by the lack of servers running any layout tracks. Although I have to thank Cargame.nl. I was on there recently and they where running, as mentioned, a fun Aston config, big thanks again for this.

One big surprise for me when testing the layouts first was how very different they make the tracks feel, much more than I expected. They are easily as good as any official track Config. Racers have been crying out for new tracks to race on and now we have been given the chance to create and race them, but not much uptake, it is odd.

I hope we can try to get some of these configs on DeadMenRacing's sever soon for the weeks racing.
Quote from -NightFly- :umm....have you tried looking for "cargame.nl", one of the most populated servers

I think he doesn't know of the existence of the other ones except the main one (S2 that is).

And that is a problem most racers have. Just display all hosts, sort on server popularity and hit join.

Can't blame the thinking but it isn't very constructive.

Other than that I just banned him today because of revenge wrecking and using very heavy language ignoring my questions about what he was doing. But thats a whole different story.
Hi there!

It is of course also a matter of numbers:

With approx. 200 - 400 licenced racers online at a given time, many on private servers,
many on drift-servers, the number of servers that can be "alive" a lot is limited.

Although banned from nl for a while, it may be the fact, that you successfull server-owners would do good in

LAYOUT - CONTESTING

for your servers! This might bring some live into the layouting - ambitions
and results.

I have seen VERY nice layouts allready and it would be great if a number of them showed up in successfull servers!

Have a nice day, Dandy
Quote from Dandy Dust :LAYOUT - CONTESTING

Was there on cargame until recently... in fact, just wanted to link the topic to here but have just found out it is gone
That was in the opentrack section (OT). That section is hidden now.

I discovered that custom, privately made layouts are pointless because there is no (global) time validation. In other words, in my opinion a layout must be supported by Airio and then the choices are a bit more restricted (organized).

You can read more about that here;
http://www.lfsforum.net/showthread.php?t=73903
Cargame have a good variety of OC tracks, more that any other server tbh

I i'm waithing for Kyoto 2 + 3 for a 5 minutes laps
#23 - BMB
I think that it will get better with limited setups (in case xfg - fz5).

Complex layout tracks need more complex settings, but not everybody is capable of createing such setups and that leads to doing somethink that isnot too much "setup sensitive", if you can change only tire presure and camber..., more people start raceing because they will feel more equal.

It would be lovely to make pool about this.
Quote :I discovered that custom, privately made layouts are pointless because there is no (global) time validation. In other words, in my opinion a layout must be supported by Airio and then the choices are a bit more restricted (organized).

...cargame.nl wrote.

I can understand that.

Which criteria will distinct if a layout works with AERIO or not?!

Why not define those criteria for the contesting of layouts?

Greetings, Dandy
Quote from Dandy Dust :
Which criteria will distinct if a layout works with AERIO or not?!

When a PTH file is available for the layout. These files are used to detect if you or on the track or outside of it (on the grass, or just cutting the track completely).

Quote from Dandy Dust :
Why not define those criteria for the contesting of layouts?

It's very hard to make a custom PTH file. I asked for it before;
http://www.lfsforum.net/showthread.php?t=74329

But it stalled after some idea exchanges.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG