The online racing simulator

Poll : New button for sending layouts, and disabling the Save layout button?

Yes, please disable the 'Save layout button', and add a new button for just the administrators
No, keep it the way it is now, and please don't steal my layout
None of the above
[Suggestion] Making it a bit harder to 'steal' layouts?
Hello!

So, as I am starting more to drift nowadays, I was browsing a few servers lately. As I have drifted alot on a mate his server, I just know every single corner (literally, sometimes ) of his private layout. Yesterday, I joined "°° Drifters Heaven °°", and saw that my mate, his private layout was on their server. Slightly edited.

So, I've came up with a little idea. Wouldn't it be better if it was harder to save a layout from a server. For instance, by disabling the save layout button, and enable a button for the administrators, to send the layout to a certain numbers of users on the server.

It would basically mean, only the people allowed, would receive a layout.

Quote from Chupacabras84 :Accidental clicked "No, keep it the way it is now, and please don't steal my layout"
But I am all for possibility to grey out dl layout button, if someone spend time making layout and dont want anyone to use it outside of his server its rather fair.

I agree totaly

Some server hosts work their butt off to make a good layout for the server, to draw in ppl to drive on THAT spesific server.

Then some noskill dude just say "hey, this one will draw ppl to MY server", and just steals it, load on HIS server, and ppl go there instead

Unsure if it is the same way on race servers, but on drift servers, a good layout will draw ppl there.
I agree too, this should be restricted in some way.
I don't agree. Nobody has copyright over layouts...
I don't care... But im suggesting to have copyright marker on name or just creator name to somewhere
Quote from Kristi :I don't agree. Nobody has copyright over layouts...

So your saying, you dont have copyrights on your own skin? Since your own-made layout is yours to.
Quote from Kristi :I don't agree. Nobody has copyright over layouts...

I guess you are one of those who cant make one yourself, judging from from your statement
I personally also hate it when people 'steal' my layouts I make for my team for example. They even dare to use it on an other server without even removing the advertising... (Drifters Heaven server I believe)
Basically,

THE ONE that make the layout, has the fully copyright on that layout.

Ofc, its not our fault that LFS hasnt made the layout "copyright only".

But if you keep stealing others layout, on their own server, then you can't treally say "Its not copyright only".

If its on one server dosn't mean that you have to take it,

and aswell; its says "save layout"; but dosnt mean that you ARE ALLOWED to take it.

Grow up )
They should make it so Admin only are allowed to save it
Accidental clicked "No, keep it the way it is now, and please don't steal my layout"
But I am all for possibility to grey out dl layout button, if someone spend time making layout and dont want anyone to use it outside of his server its rather fair.
Quote from Chupacabras84 :Accidental clicked [bla bla bla]

Got it in the first post now. Thanks.
GWR has also loaded a edited version on their server...

I guess the only solution for now is to change pass on ™DB server to keep nobrain loosers off the server next time I make a layout
How about when the server creator creates the server he has the choice whether people (guests) can save the layout. so its not just completely no for all servers on the lfs master server lol
Quote from Gougoodthing :How about when the server creator creates the server he has the choice whether people (guests) can save the layout. so its not just completely no for all servers on the lfs master server lol

Quote from UnknownMaster21 :m suggesting to have copyright marker on name or just creator name to somewhere

@ Gougoodthing. Very nice idea
Lol, you are so wrong! What's the big deal with pressing Shift+U and let your imagination do the work?

I don't know the fuss around stealing layouts. They are not stealing your life, are they?
Quote from Kristi :Lol, you are so wrong! What's the big deal with pressing Shift+U and let your imagination do the work?

Most people who steal layouts/skins are total noobs with no skills or knowledge, they dont want to do anything at all, this is why stealing layout via save layout button is so appealing to them.
Its fast and easy contrary to rebuilding layout from memory.
Quote from Kristi :
I don't know the fuss around stealing layouts. They are not stealing your life, are they?

So its ok for you to steal anything you want, as long as its not someone life?
Nice ethics you have there...

Truth told you sound like a person who never created anything or if you did created something it wasnt anything good enough to even protect it.
Hey, what's the difference between running it on your server, than someone running it on his own server. By showing it to others and letting them drive on it, you also share it with them. You and nobody ever asks for a charge, to use their layout.
"In criminal law, theft is the illegal taking of another person's property without that person's freely-given consent." You use LFS to "stream" your layouts to others. As long as LFS gives free consent to use and save the layouts from server you mustn't complain. I think LFS's purpose on saving layouts it practicing them in Single Player. If you don't want to get your layout stolen and then used by others then don't ever show it or share it with anybody on public. It's like leaving $100 on the road on purpose and then cry that it's been stolen. But after all, what's the fun of creating something for public use and then not share it?

Remeber, sharing is caring.

Also, don't let skins flow in this conversation because you can add your mark on the skin to protect it from stealing. It's an other story
Quote from Kristi :If you don't want to get your layout stolen and then used by others then don't ever show it or share it with anybody on public. It's like leaving $100 on the road on purpose and then cry that it's been stolen.

When you're running a server (drift/cruise) the layout(s) that is being used in the server has some appeal/uniqueness to it. So, the hosts spends a significant amount of time perfecting the layout in the hope that more people might visit their server.

Its not about making a layout and than declaring no one else should use it; its simply a way to attract more drivers to their servers which in turn will make it popular with everyone.

Due to LFS' limitations this cannot be done. Anyone can simply save the layout and use it on their own servers and thus the original server looses some of its uniqueness. Some people make layouts to share, which is all good. But others would like to make layouts so that drivers would join their server to use it.

What is being suggested here is to simply allow a feature where whoever makes the layout (or the admin of the server) to select weather the layout can be saved by others or not.

Not using the layout online so that others cannot "steal" it is hardly the way to go about this. I support the suggestion, but I'm not sure if this is possible at all, due to layouts being used in replays etc.
Feels like someone is crying "MY GF got stolen! oh she was so hot..."

Got it? Good layouts will always get "stolen"
There's no such thing as stealing a layout, you create it with the knowledge that anyone an save it and use it as they please.
@wheel4hummer, that's what I was talking about recently, and got flamed.
Quote from wheel4hummer :There's no such thing as stealing a layout, you create it with the knowledge that anyone an save it and use it as they please.

That's why it has to be changed?
Could you not make it so you can save a layout for single player- so you can practice on it etc. but cannot use it for multiplayer?
Quote from =Wolf=[NO] :I agree totaly

Some server hosts work their butt off to make a good layout for the server, to draw in ppl to drive on THAT spesific server.

Then some noskill dude just say "hey, this one will draw ppl to MY server", and just steals it, load on HIS server, and ppl go there instead

Unsure if it is the same way on race servers, but on drift servers, a good layout will draw ppl there.

So?

What if people go to an other server?

It's probably the same, because it has the same layout.
It also has the same people, because as you say, they have been drawn to the other server.

There is no difference, except in server name, what is the problem of that?

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG