The online racing simulator
Combine Racing Line
(10 posts, started )
Combine Racing Line
Just a minor thing, but all driven circuits in the sim store a racing line on the local machine. It would be nifty if all of the lines on a given location were visible at the same time. For instance, if driving on SO1 you would see the black rubber buildup lines from all of the SO courses on the driving surface. This would result in areas where multiple lines are visible in places where the driving line differs from one layout to another, etc etc.

Would add a nice little bit of realism methinks.
+1 from me.
This thread has been made like.. 30 times before dear. =)

I'm pretty sure you're talking about tread marks.. Yes? I think in one of those threads there was a post about making the tread look "Thicker" But there isn't any way to get all the rubber of all the layouts ever uploaded onto one track.... The track would just look black. (That sounds really racist, Doesn't it?)

I'm going to have to say I'm quite undecided on it. It would be cool but.. I'd like a option to just remember the tread from servers you have played on, That would be cool. Every server would be impossible.
If you think the race line is too dark, edit RACELINEALPHA.dds.
#5 - Bean0
I think what the OP means is that, for example on SO1 you head towards the chicane and should see the tyre marks on the left side of the track from people breaking into the 90 degree right hander found on SO4.

This would not be from every server, but only the locally stored paths from the other SO variations.

It might hit the limit of how much can be remembered though.
It's weird in longer endurance races when the limit has been reached, and the tyre marks disappear as you approach them.
I guess it's techincally possible to render the tyre marks into a single bitmap with alpha channels at some interval, and map it onto the road as a decal/texture. Rendering the new tyre marks to the existing bitmap now and then, and you can build up tyre marks indefinitly without it using alot of memory on individual tyre marks.
Quote from Bean0 :I think what the OP means is that, for example on SO1 you head towards the chicane and should see the tyre marks on the left side of the track from people breaking into the 90 degree right hander found on SO4.

This would not be from every server, but only the locally stored paths from the other SO variations.

Exactly.

The game wouldn't have any more to remember than it does currently, it would just be displaying the saved racing line from multiple layouts of that location, and the only racing line that would be altered while you are on track is the one for that particular layout, not the other layouts.
Realistic - yes, confusing for non-experts by seeing all the different tyre marks in different lines - yes if they don't want to press 4 that is.
It's a nice idea, but it'd be tricky to do overlapping racing lines without making it look certain areas look silly though. Think of the short uphill section on SO between the alleyway chicane/hairpin and the 'MVH' building where you turn off towards the motorway - that section is used on 8 out of the 12 combos so you'd have 8 times the darkening - the track would look almost black.
Quote from Crashgate3 :It's a nice idea, but it'd be tricky to do overlapping racing lines without making it look certain areas look silly though. Think of the short uphill section on SO between the alleyway chicane/hairpin and the 'MVH' building where you turn off towards the motorway - that section is used on 8 out of the 12 combos so you'd have 8 times the darkening - the track would look almost black.

Maybe let the game calculate a somewhat weighted average? I don't know how black it can get right now though.

Combine Racing Line
(10 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG