The online racing simulator
Driving habits poll
(150 posts, started )

Poll : Click all that apply

Sim/non-sim racer before getting a driving licence
Speeding
Attempts to pass driving test 1
Take risks (overtaking, fast acceleration)
Use mobile while driving
Stopped by police
Years driven 1-4
Years driven 5<
Ran a red light in the past 12 months
Scare others while driving
Suffer road rage
Years driven 0-1
Driven the wrong way down a one-way-street
Hit a stationary object while parking
Made an insurance claim for an accident (twasn't me)
Accidentally clipped a car but kept quiet
Attempts to pass driving test 2
Made an insurance claim for an accident (my fault)
Number of prangs (i.e. Collisions/crashes) in the past 12 months
Attempts to pass driving test 3<
#1 - Krane
Driving habits poll
Á la VirtualR - Do Racing Games Negatively Affect Driving Habits?

Regarding "Number of prangs (i.e. Collisions/crashes) in the past 12 months", well too much copy&paste.... Explain in a post if any.
Quote :the results show that frequent users of racing games are more likely to pass red lights

Then these virtual racers didn't pay attention in race craft. They'd get black flagged for that, same with going the wrong way down a one way street.

What a stupid study.

[edit: And how does overtaking/accelerating fast mean you take risks? Sometimes safe driving requires a bit of both.]
I can't really speak for a real car driver since I'm only a moped driver, and can't even take risks like fast acceleration and stuff.
But I've just been stopped by the police once, because my moped sounded suspicious, but never because of my driving habits. I've been a sim racer way before that, but I always try to drive as safe as possible out there on the street.
I was a sim racer before I got my provisional, and I think it can have an effect.

I personally think Sim racing (mainly iRacing) has made me learn to be more patient and not to take extreme risks (I used to drive like a loon, admittedly, when I first drove on my own in the KA I used to have). But apon driving different (and newer) cars, I've learnt to change my habits completely.

Then again, this survey, along with many, stereotype young/minority (race gamers) as being dangerous/loonatics.

I haven't hit a vehicle, claimed on insurance, got points on my licence (though I have got pulled for going a bit quick on a roundabout - just a breathalyser and a telling off) or got the bad habit to speed any more (I think the automatic gearbox in the new car helps actually, feels more relaxing and I feel less irate). Doesn't mean I won't get any of these in the future, I reckon it might happen, but whilst it hasn't so far, I plan to keep it that way.

And I'm with Psycho with this, accelerating fast = taking a risk? I accelerate quickly up to the speed limit but it doesn't mean I'm not having my full attention as to what is going on around me.
I got once pretty mad on a dude in an A6 who made me put the ABS through the trail by fire... not sure if that qualifies as road rage.

BTW, isn't that funny how the virtual racers are more successful in driving tests and make less prangs? I also wonder if a virtual drivers are a bit harder on themselves when driving a real car which would affect their answers...
Maybe some people are less willing (or embarrassed?) to reveal their habits?

And in terms of tests, I passed my theory with 48/50 on multiple choice and with 44 I think on the hazard perception (it would have been more, but my instructor reckoned I had spotted the hazard, but clicked earlier than what the computer would think a learner would). I passed my practical with 2 minors, went a little wide in a tight junction and went onto a mini roundabout at the magic roundabout the same time as another car (plenty of time, but shouldn't have done it). I think sim racing/console racing definitely helped with some form of car control (namely G25/LFS).
Passed first time, 2 minors, very dissapointed with it as I personally think I should have failed for a late emergency brake. Never had a crash, speed on occasion but never anything silly. The only really bad habit I have is driving with one hand on the wheel, but I'm aware of it and try not to do it too much, especially not on corners. For me I have always been into cars and motorsport, and I take driving seriously. It's a responsibility, not just a way of getting to the shops, and that's not reflected in the driving test, it's way too easy.
#8 - Jakg
Stopped by police? Yes - my car was marked as "stolen" (thanks to numberplates being nicked), so I've been pulled twice. Neither for my driving.

Ran a red? Yes - once, on a well sighted junction at 3AM.

Hit a stationary object while parking? Yes - once. Touched a wall. No damage.

Take risks? Yes - getting in my car is a risk. I do drive fast, and I overtake frequently - but I don't take unnecessary risks. Poor questions.

Suffer road rage? Yes - only to utter ****tards.

Speeding? Yes - I drive at a speed I find suitable to the conditions. Sometimes this is below, and sometimes this is above, an arbitrary number.

Scare others? Yes - my Mum. But she is the sort of person who associates noise / RPM with speed, which means going above 2,500 RPM brings on "your going too fast"....

EDIT - Been driving just over 2 years, done about 40k miles in that time. I'd say sim-racing helps... but only with car control at or above the limit (where other drivers tend to freeze in fright...)
#9 - Krane
Quote from Xaid0n :Maybe some people are less willing (or embarrassed?) to reveal their habits?

Maybe so, then again public poll should be more free of funny-business. I don't have a problem to admit I've done stupid things, but elaborating on them... Lets say "Young and stupid etc" and a learners permit applies to my embarrassing poll options.
Young and stupid would be the perfect way of putting it. I do silly things when I drive, but I've seen idiotic and pathetic acts by drivers my age or younger, who really shouldn't have a driving licence.
Quote from ATC Quicksilver :The only really bad habit I have is driving with one hand on the wheel

That is my biggest shortcoming. Daftly I picked up the habit playing LFS. So when I drive my hands will start at 9:15, but my left hand will slowly slide down until it rests on my left leg and barely grasping the wheel at ~7. Then I realise I've done it and it goes right back to where it should be, then slowly, slowly slides back down onto my left leg.
TBH I don't know anyone who drives constantly hands at 9 to 15 position. You just can't keep your hands like that when doing a boring drive from a to b, especially if it's a long trip. Don't even think it's such important for safety. You only need it if you encounter something dangerous and surprising, but I think reaction time plays the main role here. From people I know I think I use the 9 to 15 position most tho, but it changes a lot during a boring drive. I only really use 9 to 15 really when doing a spirited drive...
- Use phone.
- Speed, but everyone else does here.
- Rage at idiots.
- Ran a red because I was blinded from a huge truck infront of me.
- It's not a risk if you know its safe.
- Due to the way my road by my house goes, I have driven the wrong way.
Quote from BigPeBe :TBH I don't know anyone who drives constantly hands at 9 to 15 position. You just can't keep your hands like that when doing a boring drive from a to b, especially if it's a long trip. Don't even think it's such important for safety. You only need it if you encounter something dangerous and surprising, but I think reaction time plays the main role here. From people I know I think I use the 9 to 15 position most tho, but it changes a lot during a boring drive. I only really use 9 to 15 really when doing a spirited drive...

You're taught to drive at 10 to 2 in the UK, which is alien. You have no real control of the wheel and the slightest bump on the front wheel deflects you away from your intended direction of travel.

When I was doing my driving test I got a minor because my left hand slipped down to my leg, he didn't notice it at first because I was changing gears a lot through town. It was only when we did a bit of spirited driving down a dual carriageway that he realised my hand hadn't come back up.

But I agree it is impossible to drive with two hands in the same place all of the time. I do a lot of long drives and I'd probably end up distracted by a lack of comfort and crash than I would by resting a hand on my leg.
Ugh, maybe I could actually answer for the original poll too...

Stopped by police. Few times yes, tho they usually are routine stops, never have gotten me a ticket or a warning. I think it actually has been couple of years since the last I time I got stopped.

Use mobile when driving. I have used on some rare occasions, but it's rare. Usually if I really need to use the phone I just stop, I really don't like talking to the phone while driving.

Driven the wrong way down a one-way-street. Once, I'm a bit ashamed to admit this but oh well... I once did this by accident, it was a very short straight to parking area and the one way street sign was quite hidden if I remember correctly... Only realized this afterwards.

Take risks (overtaking, fast acceleration). Well, yes. When I'm driving a nice windy road I like to enjoy my drive and my driving style can be very spirited. If someone is driving slower than me in front of me, I'm going to overtake as soon as there is proper opening. And usually when I accelerate, overtaking or just to a speed I like to floor it. Tho the risky part is a bit of a gray area, I don't overtake if there is no room or I can't see if there is any so what you consider risky is up to you. I simply enjoy the spirited drive and "common hooliganism".

Suffer road rage. Well I used to a bit when I was younger but I have calmed down. I somewhat even might enjoy the slower drivers because that just gives me a reason floor it some again. But it doesn't stop me from giving the occasional honk if the driver seems very slow or incompetent in some other way.

Speeding. Yes, during the so called boring drive I usually keep constant 5-10 km/h+. But I also might drive slower than the limit asks if the conditions seem so. And when I'm doing the so called spirited drive my speed isn't determined by limits, I drive the speed what conditions allow and what I feel like.

Scare others while driving. Sometimes, but usually if I have a passenger with me and we're just going from a to b, then not. But if I pick up a friend as a passenger and we have agreed to go to our local little rally special stage, then yes. Also depends on the passenger. One of my friends tend to comment the usual "I'm shitting my pants here" but still he enjoys it, when I'm as passenger and his driving I actually might get a bit scared also. But still I keep smiling... Then there is this one "special case" who doesn't even own a car, sometimes we just can't fight the urge of making him shit scared since the expressions on him are always very hilarious.

Attempts to pass driving test 1.

Number of prangs (i.e. Collisions/crashes) in the past 12 months. None. How you can actually vote for this??

Sim/non-sim racer before getting a driving license. I was a sim racer before getting my license, but after getting a license also the amount of sim racing has grown. Also, how you should vote for this it's a bit confusing, if you vote are you voting for being a sim racer or not lol??

Years driven 4.

Quote from P5YcHoM4N :You're taught to drive at 10 to 2 in the UK, which is alien. You have no real control of the wheel and the slightest bump on the front wheel deflects you away from your intended direction of travel.

Yeah that's the way they used to teach in Finland too years back. Nowadays they teach that 9 to 15 is best, but at least when I was at driving school or doing my test it was enough that both hands actually were touching the wheel.
I have turned to using the 9 to 15 only because it simply feels best and gives the most precise and fastest steering wheel control when "dicking around" be it IRL or sim racing.
I've used my mobile phone while driving, but only for a few seconds. If I know it's going to take longer, I'll put it on my dashboard, park somewhere, pick it up and continue the conversation whilst standing still.

I often run red lights at one particular intersection, because on work days I pass it at least twenty times. When there's nobody around (it's outside town, so I can see for miles) I won't wait.

Because I'm the local postman pat, I'm allowed to drive the wrong way down a one-way-street. Hah!

Taking risks is quite vague. Don't we all take risks? I do overtake a lot, but I've never needed luck to survive. I've got it all under control

I speed a lot, but only where I know it is safe. Speed limits tend to be very low in the Netherlands, so even doing 30km/h over the speed limit can still be very safe.

Scaring others while driving is something I've done frequently. . Especially on the 'local rally stage', a narrow road through fields with great visibility, where I can literally see 5 miles ahead. Some passengers can handle it, but I've made a few scream too. Fun fun fun

I've simraced for five years before I took my first driving lessons, needed only one attempt to pass and I've had my licence for two years now. I'm a professional driver now, so I get paid to drive.

Overall I drive quite spirited, but always safe and under control. I never take silly risks, but some people are scared very easily.

My only shortcoming is not keeping enough distance on the highway, but I'm working on it.
I have 23 years experience in driving, much longer experience in driving than many of you posting have in life in general.

I was driving long before I was engaged in racing games.

Here are my thoughts.

Does racing games affect someone with 23 years of driving experience? No

Now for you young ones, who don't have driving experience, I give you this story.....

I was on temporary layoff at work for a short time, about a month. It was the result of a General Motors union strike. GM union strikes, GM shuts down and quits making cars, the company I work for quits shipping out parts for those GM cars, we are laid off.

During that layoff time, I was newly married with no kids, thus my wife was in the workforce as well. We were fine, I patiently awaited the call to come back to work after the GM strike while my wife continued working. I was the house husband, cooked, cleaned, did the laundry. Doesn't take very much time to do all that, so, I also did a lot of sim racing. Most of my day was made up of sim racing. I had nothing else to do and I didn't go anywhere, thus didn't drive for about a month.

As some time wore on, I jumped into the car to run to the store. FAST! I drove REALLY fast! Didn't even realize it. I hadn't been driving much other than really fast on racing sims, and we all know how emmersive that can get when you have a full wheel/pedal setup. Did playing racing games affect my driving at a time that I wasn't driving very often at all? A definite yes to that.

So to you younguns out there, my opinion is, yes, it does affect you if you do not have experience in driving.

As for your poll, I could select 12 out of the 20, including the "passed test on 1 attempt" and "greater than 5 years driving", but will say, all of the 10 detrimental selections I can make on that list came years before there was any racing games on a computer like we have now and all were the result of just being a stupid teenager who recently got his driver's license, just like many of you who are present on this forum.
Quote from mrodgers :...

Thank god that laws don't let people behind the wheel at age 15 here...

As for myself i'm a laid back driver in general (exept when i'm in hurry perhaps:razz, i don't see any reason why sim-racing has affected my driving, i've had 0 incidents so far though i started playing racing games before i got my license. I think it's more the fact that people who like tend to speed anyway like to play more racing games, not the vice versa:doh:
Stopped by police - Yes, a lot. I'm on a Traders Insurance Policy, which means that I show up as uninsured on the National Insurance Database. Also, due to my line of work, I drive a lot of cars with "Trade Plates", which can also attract the attention of Police. Apart from that, I have never been pulled over due to a fault with my Driving/Car.

Use mobile while driving - Never. If the phone rings again after I ignore it, I know it's important so I pull over and answer it. Same goes for texting.

Ran a red light in the past 12 months - Yes, once. I tried my luck with an amber light and accelerated. It went red two seconds before I passed it. Was rather stupid of me to be honest.

Take risks (overtaking, fast acceleration) - If I am on my own in the car and there isn't much traffic, I will sometimes have fun with the car, but nothing too dangerous. If I do feel like having fun, I only do it in suitable places, i.e country roads.

Suffer road rage - Never to the point of violence, but I do sometimes get annoyed with people that lack confidence, like people who take ages getting out of a clear junction because they are scared. It's usually nothing more than a "for gods sake" under my breath though.

Speeding - Unless I'm having a hoon, I will stick to the limit. As above though, I only drive within my limits and according to the environment. I'm always doing at least 80mph on the Dual Carriageway/Motorway though, as I feel more comfortable at that speed.

Scare others while driving - I'm always buying cars that need work. I then repair them, and sell them for a profit. I do this for a bit of cash on the side. This means that occasionally, I will end up buying a fast car. I always tend to take my Girlfriend/Friends out for a quick blast to try and shock them, but they are getting used to it now . Under normal driving circumstances though, no. Any passengers I have ever driven with usually seem quite content with my Driving.

Number of prangs (i.e. Collisions/crashes) in the past 12 months - One. I was traveling down a NSL rural road at 40-ish mph, when some guy comes flying around the corner at a stupid speed. I had no choice but to swerve onto and up a verge to avoid a head on collision. My car suffered a buckled alloy wheel, bent wishbone and a smashed mirror case. The other guy did not stop.

Sim/non-sim racer before getting a driving licence - Became a proper sim racer when I was about 13, and passed my test at 17.

I've been driving for just under 2 years now. I had 3 lessons until my Instructor put me in for my test, and I passed with 2 minors (One for observation and one for hesitance at a Roundabout.). I also took my Pass Plus course, which I passed with an "exceeded" grade on everything apart from Night Driving, which we did not cover due to time constraints.

Despite my "Driving Career" grades being pretty good, I do not by any means think of myself as an above average driver. Instead, I think of myself as just a Driver who does not take stupid risks. I'm always alert and scanning the road for potential "threats", and I think that is why I have not had any Accidents, despite owning some extremely powerful cars that most would consider a dangerous for a 17/18 year old to be driving. Never the less, I do not think I am a driving god nor invincible. Anything can happen out on those roads, and sometimes you cannot stop accidents happening, no matter how much skill/experience you may have under your belt.

Drive Safe everyone!
Quote from P5YcHoM4N :That is my biggest shortcoming. Daftly I picked up the habit playing LFS. So when I drive my hands will start at 9:15, but my left hand will slowly slide down until it rests on my left leg and barely grasping the wheel at ~7. Then I realise I've done it and it goes right back to where it should be, then slowly, slowly slides back down onto my left leg.

I do the exact same thing, but I always have, even during my driving lessons. Everytime I do it I think of my driving instructor telling me to stop touching up my leg and put my hand on the bloody wheel, which usually sorts it out.
#21 - 5haz
I approach sim racing and road driving with completely different frames of mind, so I don't know how sim racing could effect my road driving to any great extent.
Never had an accident in my 4 years of driving, though 8 months ago I mirror bashed a parked car and a truck at the same time when the **** did not give me room. The parked car side mirror broke, the truck side did not.

It was a tight squeeze.
Quote from ATC Quicksilver :I do the exact same thing, but I always have, even during my driving lessons. Everytime I do it I think of my driving instructor telling me to stop touching up my leg and put my hand on the bloody wheel, which usually sorts it out.

I did it when I was learning too. But he'd just say "what is your left hand doing" or would start drumming his left hand on his lap. I can't see myself ever getting out of the habit because it comes so naturally to me. Even when I'm sat in a chair, I'd put my right arm on the arm rest, but place my left on my lap.
50% of you admit to driving whilst using a mobile phone? What is wrong with you people? Idiots.
I have a habit of putting my right hand on the gear lever in LHD cars, but for some reason I don't do the same with my left hand in my car, which is RHD.

Driving habits poll
(150 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG