The online racing simulator
LFS VideoMode Competition Round 4 : "Weather"
(55 posts, started )

Click here for the MainRules

Rules: (made by [SWE]RE, these will not be changed.)

This weeks theme is... "WEATHER"
- You have to create a LFS-Video with a specific kind of weather.

Maximum length of the Video (by [SWE]RE) : NO LIMIT

CARS: ALL
TRACKS: ALL
(by [SWE]RE).

How to :
If you want to show your final video, you have to :
- Post a link of a VideoPortal (e.g. Youtube/Vimeo/etc...)
- Or the Download-Link of your video, if the VideoPortal had blocked it, etc...

Competitions Closes at : Friday, 17th December 2010, 24.00pm CENTRAL EUROPEAN TIME (CET).
#2 - Litro
Fully, not for me.
this seems a bit difficult, doesnt it?

i still havent mastered, or come close, in still frames, nevermind in a video
Quote from [SWE]RE :Uh, this is hard but I'm thinking the next theme would be something that takes a little bit more time to accomplish. "Weather"...

As he said, a bit difficult.
Let see what you guys are doing, you have 3 weeks for this... Just try some stuff, there isn't any limit for video-length or of cars/tracks.
any tips for this to work at all for a novice. i have vegas, and dont know where to start
Might be difficult but I'd like to see the different approaches to this subject. Even if the result isn't terribly impressive, trying this is probably a rewarding experience anyway... might give it a shot
hm weather... theres just cloudy sunset, shiny daylight, and cloudy morning, all in one it doesnt effect much in driving style, if there was some rain in the game, i can imagine the videos would've been better, sliding cars, raindrops on the windows etc... but however, good luck all and i still believe i'm going to see some nice vids
This is a harder theme to accomplish yes, but then again, it's good so we can see what kind of skills the participants got, and for those of you who don't know how to use any effects to create a weather theme, you'll learn it during this contest. So you just do your best, and it'll be fine.

I'm not sure if I'm allowed to do this (for insipirational purpusoses) but here's an example, a short clip that I made in a very short amount of time. How I did it, it's easy to find out. You don't need AE for it either, that was Vegas 6.0 all the way.
Another example - pause at 0.29 and look at the hilltop in the upper right corner, you'll see a vauge lightning bolt far off in the distance. You can see it better if you just play the movie and focus your eyes on that location.

That's weather effects as well that can be included in a racing video, for example.
So there's many ways to create a movie including weather, only this time, the weather should be in focus.
And if all you have are a bunch of replays done in clear day, then you can easily hex edit the mpr header to change the weather to sunset, for example.
Totally overthinking this guys. Could just use nightmod and or snowmod and if you use night mod, use SWE's advice and just use keyframes for headlights and add in thunder effects and the right color settings and such.
Might have to fire up AE again. Will see what I can do. Looking forward to other entries as well.
Hmm I could even try this. Dont have skillz for epic rain effects but there is good mods for this
I personally think this is the best theme yet. It's a video competition, it's not supposed to be easy.

There are all kinds of effects you could use. A nighttime scene would be great and it's really easy. Take a clip, duplicated it, match them, and adjust the levels on both. Make the bottom layer dark, make the top layer bright, and adjust the top layer to fit. It's not that simple, but if you make brights brighter, and darks darker, and you adjust the layer properly, I'm sure that would look good...

BTW, I've never tried that, but instantly that would be the first place I would start. If you want it to look production quality, there is going to have to be a lot more to I though. I've done simple scenes, such as the IGTC 2009 Intro with the My3id car, that have been over 6 layers.

Now keep in mind, nighttime is not weather... Most people are going to do a rain effect, but keep in mind, it doesn't have to be raining. For instance, the ground can simply be wet.

Lynce did a video trying to create that effect. I don't know how he did it, but I know exactly how I would do it and it's really quite simply IMO. I'm not going to drop the bomb on this one, because it is more technical than doing a night scene and I don't want to spoil it for the competitors.

Just keep in mind guys, this event is for editors of all skill levels. Making something production quality, such as Lynce's work, should not be the goal for all of you. If you guys saw my last video on here, you might know what I mean. That is not production quality, but it looks decent. That would be the mind set I would have when preparing for this contest.
Great words Nolan,
very nice from you if you will join here.

For me, I only can start making videos again, after Christmas.
With a new computer, there's a better chance to join topics of this competition.
Quote from BigTime :

Lynce did a video trying to create that effect. I don't know how he did it, but I know exactly how I would do it and it's really quite simply IMO. I'm not going to drop the bomb on this one, because it is more technical than doing a night scene and I don't want to spoil it for the competitors.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qD5a-OGhApM

Its at 3:20
Are autumn and winter counted as a weather? I mean ground covered from leafs and snow? If not, im out then.
Quote from Myffe :Are autumn and winter counted as a weather? I mean ground covered from leafs and snow? If not, im out then.

Raining, cloudy, foggy, snowing or sunshining are typical sorts of "weather" imo. Please don't use the last called one in this comp.
Tough one this, I might be able to try
Ok im out of then. Cant make any cool effects like snowing or rain. But isnt snow mod pretty much a weather?
Quote from Myffe :Isnt snow mod pretty much a weather?

Snow is a weather imo but I think you probably need to get some falling snow in there
Edit: Putting rain in my video is harder than I thought, without some modifictations to the rain it looks horridly unrealistic - must get it perfect and realistic
[SWE] RE should say a word about this coz he decided the theme
Trying to get footage with FXR with rain setup at WE1 is lolable - they're always going off the track!
Rain setup = Max tyre pressure, Max positive camber and lowest ride height
Personally I don't see the snow mod as weather, at least not if it's the snow mod I'm guessing you're talking about which is the one that pretty much just changes the ground textures to snow lookalike-ish. When I thought of this theme, weather, I was thinking more of some kind of precipitation such as falling snow, rain, wet ground (lynce-style), thunderstorm, lightning, heck, throw a tornado in there if you want to since that's a type of weather as well. Of course, you can combine a few of these weather types if you want to.

Edit: Also, for those of you who are giving up saying "I can't do this".. read through a couple of tutorials, watch some tutorials on youtube for these kind of special effects, etc. When I first started out doing those special effects myself (rain/thunderstorm/lightning strikes etc) I also thought that "I can't do this", but it took me a couple of hours before I started figuring out some good ways to accomplish these things, using the program After Effects. So my advice would be, don't give up that easily. You won't learn anything if you give up so easily, try it out, experiment and mess around with some stuff and I'm sure you can come up with something.
Quote from [SWE]RE :heck, throw a tornado in there if you want to since that's a type of weather as well.

Some driver getting chased by a tornado perhaps?

(55 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG