The online racing simulator
Is it OK to use wireless?
(130 posts, started )
Quote from pik_d :And thank you for that "using wi-fi leads to lagging" statement. What does it prove, that you can form a sentence? I gave some actual testing data comparing wireless to what the router sees which seems to point out that me using wi-fi adds 1-2ms on average to ping time. Using wi-fi leads to lagging much in the same way that spoons and forks lead to obesity.

It's not just that wi-fi adds ping, it is also unreliable. A simple microwave being turned on somewhere in the house can make ping double (at least)... It results in randomly lost connections, delayed packets, and other things. In all fairness, for online gaming 56k is better than Wi-Fi as 56k is rather reliable for packet stream.
Quote from dawesdust_12 :It's not just that wi-fi adds ping, it is also unreliable. A simple microwave being turned on somewhere in the house can make ping double (at least)... It results in randomly lost connections, delayed packets, and other things. In all fairness, for online gaming 56k is better than Wi-Fi as 56k is rather reliable for packet stream.

I somehow agree on this. Not sure on the 56k part tho, but it would at least have a stable ping, compared to wireless that might be unstable.
Those packages here and there that are lost with wireless are clearly noticed by the others on the server. Don't you just hate to see that car in front of you warp into..nothing.. for a split second and then coming back to send you on your rocket trip of the life?
It's simple that 56k will be more stable (and even playable online provided you don't need to download stuff - eg. mrodgers). He says he played LFS for a long time on dialup and had no issues at all, unless he had to download something huge.
is a USB dongle or PCI card better.?
Quote from master_lfs.5101 :is a USB dongle or PCI card better.?

Personally... All I've heard is bad things regarding USB dongles (Random disconnects, random restarts with "OH HAI, NO DRIVERS KTHX", shitty support if you decide to use linux).

I've always had PCI ones with no issues (even with LFS... except for 1 STCC race... which incidentally enough was what drove me to get wired internet into my bedroom).
Quote from dawesdust_12 :Personally... All I've heard is bad things regarding USB dongles (Random disconnects, random restarts with "OH HAI, NO DRIVERS KTHX", shitty support if you decide to use linux).

I've always had PCI ones with no issues (even with LFS... except for 1 STCC race... which incidentally enough was what drove me to get wired internet into my bedroom).

I guess i'll have to return that shitty belkin dongle, and buy a PCI Wlan card

Im around 200 feet away from the router. Its 3 floors down in my house's basement. Im 3 floors up in my houses Bedroom floor.
Quote from pik_d :Yeah, the spamming was the first thing that annoyed me. Why do I have to configure some garbage for a 3rd party app to run on a busy FOX server?

The answer is of course simple - there are a lot of people and everyone considers as garbage something different. Someone really doesn't want to see anything, racing in Shift+F mode, so he can turn off everything. Some don't care about ranks/licences, so they choose to ignore that data. Admins certainly want to see spectate/kick reasons, while others may ignore such messages. Maybe, just maybe, all these possibilities are one of the reasons why the FOX server is busy.

Quote from pik_d :There are some messages that I don't even understand why they exist. LFS by default tells you when someone has set the fastest lap, why does Airio need to do the same?

Yes, that is valid objection, and the (optional) message is there for 2 reasons: One is there are differences - LFS doesn't say what car was it, which may be important, and LFS also considers only cars on track. The other is simply to have things complete, artificially skipping that info does not feel right to me.

Quote from pik_d :Simply the mindset of "You have caused a yellow flag..." (even if I'm the only one within half a mile) is over the top. Does anyone who has just spun around really need to be told that they've caused a yellow flag?

Yes, this message is the most hated and I'll be updating the code to fight it a bit. But again, it has a purpose - it tells you your safety rating went down a bit (while completing laps and races raise it). Problem is LFS gives you yellow flag even when you are alone on server (sic), so I'll need to add a few more checks to see if it has meaning.

Quote from pik_d :Do we really need to protect people from seeing the words "****" and "****"?

Well, that is quite up to server administrators to decide. By default Airio doen't run bad language check, if it is active it means it was turned on intentionally by admins.

Quote from pik_d :I also once got a DT because I had to "cut" the track twice in one race to avoid other cars. That was really nice, avoid a wreck twice and get a DT for your efforts.

Hm, I'm not sure what you mean, because Airio doesn't give any penalties for cutting, just for the reason you mention, it simply may be necessary. AAAH, I know! It was the Remote+ that gave you the penalty - one warning, then penalty, right? Nothing to do with Airio, it is Victor's work - ask admins to run simple Remote (not the plus version).

Quote from pik_d :Airio has some good things such as whatever it copied from Lapper and the track rotation feature. It really should have stopped there though.

Stop there? What would be the point? Why blame me or Airio for giving every driver tens of configuration options (with a very low-profile initial settings) and a hundred+ options to server admins, again most of them inactive by default? If you're not happy with some spectate/kick reasons, ask admins to change the settings. Would you complain to LFS developers because on some servers there is forced cockpit view? I doubt. You would ask admins for change or simply leave.

Quote from pik_d :And thank you for that "using wi-fi leads to lagging" statement. What does it prove, that you can form a sentence?

Right, I apologise, it was just to mention the primary topic of this thread. So I will elaborate a bit now: Yes, wi-fi may add on average negligible 1 or 2 ms, but the problem is the communication is easy to break through interference (turn on a light, car passes nearby, whatever), and then it takes hundreds of miliseconds to reestablish/repeat the what was lost. That is why, in my opinion, wi-fi is not a good choice for online action/sim gaming. And anyone using wi-fi (as I do sometimes) should be aware of this.
Quote from master_lfs.5101 :I guess i'll have to return that shitty belkin dongle, and buy a PCI Wlan card

Im around 200 feet away from the router. Its 3 floors down in my house's basement. Im 3 floors up in my houses Bedroom floor.

At that distance you might be even ****ed for wireless. You can give it a shot (dunno about a stores open policy), but being that far is for sure a death wish for wifi (I'm only about 100 ft from my router, and only 1 floor (and 2 walls at the most) and I have issues on occasion (if I use Wi-Fi).
Hah, I had no idea I was complaining to the guy who created Airio. I even went to the Airio thread to remind myself of all the "features" it has and didn't look to see if you posted there.

Hm, I didn't know about the Remote+ thing. It only happened to me on an Airio enabled server just the other day (again, FOX Junkies).

I have talked to a few of the (FM) guys about their massive nanny-state spectate-fest that they have on their server and the conclusion ended up being that I simply wont race there when it's at Westhill. I have no idea if the spectating stuff is Airio or not, but if it is, please get the Westhill chicane nanny lined up so that it absolutely does not ever spectate people who don't hit the tires. My line takes me over the curb very close to the tires and I get spectated about 25% of the time, even when I don't hit the tires.

Also spectating for spinning. I understand the desire to not mess up other peoples races but I think it's a bit "soft" if you know what I mean. We are racing in a sim, in real life people crash and other people's races get messed up, why protect us from that here? It gives people the mindset that they deserve to have people get out of their way if something goes wrong up ahead. In league races people are normally expected to stay on the track until they have been cleared to spectate. In pick up races people are expected to spectate if they accidentally get a little sideways. You're only encouraging this behavior (which I feel is wrong in a racing environment) by forcing people to spectate under certain circumstances. I remember one time someone asked me after the race "why didn't you spectate" when they hit me AFTER I came to a controlled stop due to an incident. Shit happens, avoiding it is part of racing.

Also if you simply must have that option can you do some checks on how close other cars are? It's one thing to get spectated when you're being followed by 20 cars into T1, but it's entirely something else (and really annoying) when you're not near anyone and you get spectated for "safety".

If you want to have all these features please make sure they don't hurt people who aren't in anyone's way.
Quote from pik_d :Hm, I didn't know about the Remote+ thing. It only happened to me on an Airio enabled server just the other day (again, FOX Junkies).

Yes, they run Remote+ there and you were penalized by this service. I myself do not like the + version much, there are other means to fight deliberate cutting.

Quote from pik_d :I have no idea if the spectating stuff is Airio or not, but if it is, please get the Westhill chicane nanny lined up so that it absolutely does not ever spectate people who don't hit the tires. My line takes me over the curb very close to the tires and I get spectated about 25% of the time, even when I don't hit the tires.

AFAIK this isn't Airio again, it is a standard LFS restricted zone (layout) defined there by FM people, easy to update if it affects your racing line. Airio by default contains only two anti-crasher restricted (spec) zones defined on BL1 and one limited (lap stats not saved) on BL2 for the demo configs, everything else is open. There may be a race path check running invalidating server PBs if achieved by cutting, but Airio usually does not spec/pen people for cutting.

Quote from pik_d :Also spectating for spinning. ... Also if you simply must have that option can you do some checks on how close other cars are?. ... If you want to have all these features please make sure they don't hurt people who aren't in anyone's way.

First thing to know is that again it is an admin-optional check, disabled by default. Second point is it can be configured only for specific tracks, such as SO. I agree that on WE and other wide tracks it is rather useless/frustrating.

But your idea about making sure some of the checks (yellow flag, safety spectating) are not applied if there's no one close around is really cool, I'll add this into final Airio 2.3.3, so that the "true spawn of the satan" is less devilish. But, as you can read above, not all evil comes from Airio.

BIG SORRY to everyone for this highly off-topic discussion. I just stumbled across a complaint concerning my tool and I wanted to learn a bit more about the cause and possible solutions.
Quote from EQ Worry :BIG SORRY to everyone for this highly off-topic discussion. I just stumbled across a complaint concerning my tool and I wanted to learn a bit more about the cause and possible solutions.

No need to apologise - I actually found this to be the most interesting part of this thread, even if it was completely off topic!! It is quite refreshing to see the developer to consumer relationship in all its glory
Quote from dawesdust_12 :At that distance you might be even ****ed for wireless. You can give it a shot (dunno about a stores open policy), but being that far is for sure a death wish for wifi (I'm only about 100 ft from my router, and only 1 floor (and 2 walls at the most) and I have issues on occasion (if I use Wi-Fi).

Hmm.. But this Dell Laptop I'm using right now has an intergrated Wlan card of course. I get a good signal strength most of the time. The router that I have (Default from FiOs) can be connected to 3 houses away, if you have a good modem, but of course we have a password on it. FIBER OPTIC RULES!

Anyways, Ill probably get the PCI then.
Since I'm playing LFS, I'm using wireless. The router is about 1m away from the lappy, the router is in another room. I've never had disco issues.
Quote from master_lfs.5101 :Hmm.. But this Dell Laptop I'm using right now has an intergrated Wlan card of course. I get a good signal strength most of the time. The router that I have (Default from FiOs) can be connected to 3 houses away, if you have a good modem, but of course we have a password on it. FIBER OPTIC RULES!

Anyways, Ill probably get the PCI then.

Fios isn't so great when you haffto deal with Comcast's great draconian methods of BitTorrent throttling, their new service that replaces DNS errors with... ... ADVERTISING!

Sounds great... 8-)
Quote from master_lfs.5101 :

Quote from dawesdust_12 :At that distance you might be even ****ed for wireless. You can give it a shot (dunno about a stores open policy), but being that far is for sure a death wish for wifi (I'm only about 100 ft from my router, and only 1 floor (and 2 walls at the most) and I have issues on occasion (if I use Wi-Fi).

I think you're over-estimating the distances involved here

200ft is A Long Way. Based on average ceiling heights (in the UK at least - ~10ft) 200ft would mean the height of a 20 storey building.
/pedanticism

802.11g wireless is generally capable of going up to 100ft line-of-sight. Put a wall/floor/cardboard box/person in the way and it's going to reduce that, especially if it's made of something substantial.

For 3 storeys, I'd recommend using Cat5e or power over Ethernet even for only browsing the web for any amount of time. As for gaming, that kind of distance is going to cause a lot of problems over WiFi.

The n spec can handle longer range and higher speeds, but is still susceptible to all the kinds of interference and the affects associated with it as mentioned in this thread.

If you have to use WiFi over that distance indoors I'd recommend getting a PCI card and router that allow you to change the antennae and buy some high gain antennae for both.
Quote from SamH :I'm wireless here (not much option, short of running wires over 3 floors) but I have a good strong signal, and I've disabled QOS packet scheduling.
I'm not particularly UP on this stuff, but following the advice from others definitely got it sorted for me.

QOS often causes problems apparently, withholding packets. Other than poor connections though, I gather this is the primary problem for wireless connections causing visible lag.

Can u tell me where i can find this ? (win7 here)
I did some comparison between WiFi and LAN by hosting 2 games on my machine
the conditions for WiFi where: ASUS N50Vn, D-Link Di-524, only this one computer in the network at the time, distance from laptop to router: 1,5 m, system Vista. so in general perfect conditions with new hardware and software
6 cars in the race, all of them on cables, all players in the same city

the result: LAGGGGGGGGING like hell, people crashing...

the same people and hardware except for LAN instead of WiFi... smooth and clean session, no lagging for anyone... not a single lag

of course I should repeat it a few times to make it statistically correct but... I don't care, I will simply plug the cable and enjoy smooth racing
From my two experiences trying to use WiFi to game - no. Just no.
I say no to for Wifi. You also ruin other peoples game with lag.

But maybe it works better when you live in the middle of nowhere. I have neighbours and wifinetworks all around me and it's ok to internet on it, but i can't game on it. Sometimes it even stops completly for a few minutes, I think it's the microwave of one of my neighbours (they use the same frequention as wifi, only with a much stronger signal )
Well, i am using wireless since i started playing LFS, and havent really experienced any bad things with it... We havent even got the best of the best connection. We're now running about 420kb/s download, and 45kb/s upload.

Lags which have occured, were 90% not me, so, i'd say:if you have a decent connection, it's ok.
Quote from dutchshogun :Well, i am using wireless since i started playing LFS, and havent really experienced any bad things with it... We havent even got the best of the best connection. We're now running about 420kb/s download, and 45kb/s upload.

Lags which have occured, were 90% not me, so, i'd say:if you have a decent connection, it's ok.

It's not about download and uplaod it's that it lags sometimes. You are saying that 10% of the lags were you.

If you race with 20 others and you each have the same change of lag that is 5 %.
Quote from dutchshogun :Lags which have occured, were 90% not me, so, i'd say:if you have a decent connection, it's ok.

You are never sure who is causing the lag during a race, you almost always see it as it's the other guy's fault... during my check it looked like everyone else was lagging but it all changed when I changed my connection...

the cable is cheap and plugging it in takes about 1 second, and using WiFi does not make the racing experience any more modern or cool... it causes it to lag...
Quote from pandera :it looked like everyone else was lagging

A sure sign that it is in fact you that's lagging

If some but not all seem to be lagging, it's generally an idication that their connection to the server is worse than yours. If everyone else seems to be lagging, then it's almost certainly you, not them.
Quote from pandera :The cable is cheap and plugging it in takes about 1 second, and using WiFi does not make the racing experience any more modern or cool... it causes it to lag...

I suppose you have a 30 meter cable you can send me?

I am using wireless and the other cars don't jump around at all and nobody has complained about lag when I am driving so close that mirrors are touching.
Current wireless signal strength: Low

Is it OK to use wireless?
(130 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG