The online racing simulator
Is it OK to use wireless?
(130 posts, started )
Hehe, I just want to get to boddom in this whole mystery Or at least prove that what I tell to the custommers calling to me on telephone isn't completely bullshit

Great work with showing that command window, maybe you want to just shade out your ipadress or something? Either way, now when we have 200 packages (or around 10 mins at least) then line them up in same reply, and point out who's with wired connection, and who's not.

Keep up the good work
Edit : oh LOL! I do now realize that if too many does this at same time, the LFS server most likely will crash. But for that we need aalllooooott of people, and we are not going to that, just this harmless test to see if the notice is big or not. Hands up for you, hope more does this so we can see some results we can compare with
#77 - dev
Quote from pik_d :Apparently my router can only do 50 at a time. Whoops.

I've gotta go somewhere in a few minutes, I did a 50 test run from the router with the following results:

Round-Trip: 110.6 min, 113.4 avg, 128.7 max (ms)
Packets: 50 transmitted, 49 received, 2% lost

Doing 200 tries from the command prompt, I'll do a 10 minute test later for you TVE.

How come your ping is so high? This is my result of a 10 minute test. Using Acer Aspire One D150 and Asus WL-500W (DD-WRT).

Ping statistics for 213.40.20.2:
Packets: Sent = 58, Received = 58, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Reply from 213.40.20.2: Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 46ms, Maximum = 93ms, Average = 63ms

I think location plays a big part

Ill try this too asap

SD.
#79 - dev
Quote from SparkyDave :I think location plays a big part

Ill try this too asap

SD.

Yes I know, but the servers are in Europe right? So it shouldn't make such a difference
Servers are in Europe, pik_d, is not
Quote from The Very End :Hehe, I just want to get to boddom in this whole mystery Or at least prove that what I tell to the custommers calling to me on telephone isn't completely bullshit

Great work with showing that command window, maybe you want to just shade out your ipadress or something? Either way, now when we have 200 packages (or around 10 mins at least) then line them up in same reply, and point out who's with wired connection, and who's not.

Keep up the good work
Edit : oh LOL! I do now realize that if too many does this at same time, the LFS server most likely will crash. But for that we need aalllooooott of people, and we are not going to that, just this harmless test to see if the notice is big or not. Hands up for you, hope more does this so we can see some results we can compare with

That's not my IP address, it's the IP address of lfs.net as I said before. If my IP address showed up it'd only be what my router assigns, 192.168.1.119. Good luck getting at me with that.

Quote from dev :How come your ping is so high? This is my result of a 10 minute test. Using Acer Aspire One D150 and Asus WL-500W (DD-WRT).

Packets: Sent = 58, Received = 58, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Reply from 213.40.20.2: Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 46ms, Maximum = 93ms, Average = 63ms

What is the difference in ping from your computer (in the location where you normally play LFS) and the router?

What I'm trying to show is that there is very little to no ping difference between the two. In my tests the router averaged 113.4ms and my computer averaged 115ms. No one, not even Becky Rose, is going to notice that 1.6ms difference.

The Very End, you might in fact be telling your customers complete bollocks.
I have kept the packet size at 56 bytes to show comparative results with Pik_d

Wired ethenet base 10/100
Reply from 213.40.20.2: bytes=56 time=28ms TTL=53
Reply from 213.40.20.2: bytes=56 time=24ms TTL=53
Reply from 213.40.20.2: bytes=56 time=23ms TTL=53
Packets: Sent = 50, Received = 50, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 22ms, Maximum = 48ms, Average = 28ms

======================================================

Wireless IEEE 802.11g

Reply from 213.40.20.2: bytes=56 time=30ms TTL=53
Reply from 213.40.20.2: bytes=56 time=28ms TTL=53
Reply from 213.40.20.2: bytes=56 time=25ms TTL=53
Packets: Sent = 50, Received = 50, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 23ms, Maximum = 59ms, Average = 30ms

Conclusion; wired and wireless,about the same here, thats with everyone in the house sitting still, but I bet if the cat stretches I would lose a packet or two

SD.
That's interesting. In my results and yours the maximum ping time for wireless was about 10ms longer than for wired. It seems like there might be some truth to lag spikes, though 10ms extra is not going to be noticed even in fast paced FOX action.

It seems as if wireless adds an average overhead of 2ms, nothing to start a thread about though.
#84 - dev
Quote from NotAnIllusion :Servers are in Europe, pik_d, is not

Haven't noticed the flag

Quote from pik_d :What is the difference in ping from your computer (in the location where you normally play LFS) and the router?

What I'm trying to show is that there is very little to no ping difference between the two. In my tests the router averaged 113.4ms and my computer averaged 115ms. No one, not even Becky Rose, is going to notice that 1.6ms difference.

The Very End, you might in fact be telling your customers complete bollocks.

I did a few more test. Practically no difference at all
Hehe

Well, but I think the problem will be more clearly shown if you run a lit of packages each second, not just one each second. When playing a computer game there is transfered a lot of packages both ways, and I think it will show a more clear result than sending out one and one package. Best thing would be to compare in-game.

Ultimately, if you wireless connection is superb, with great signal and no interference, it should not be that much worse than wired connection, but it still in the longer run will be a little slower than wired connection. The problem here is that most people have interference, and that's causing problems, and with time it will only get worse as more and more things using wiresless stuff and signal today.

But I still rest my case Even if it does only show a very very slim different in ping, I think the noticeable effect is when you playing online and many packages goes in/out at same time, not just 1/1 each second.
Did a test at home.

I use Huawei HG522 for both wired / wireless connection. When in wireless mode the computer was placed in another room ( my own bedroom, where I used to play a lot using wireless ). Signal condition was "good" ( not "full" ). No package lost in the test.

Ping 50 times
 Wireless: Min 354 Max 466 Avg 387
 Wired:   Min 356 Max 364 Avg 357

Ping 100 times
 Wireless: Min 359 Max 562 Avg 404
 Wired:   Min 356 max 384 Avg 357

Almost no difference in min ping, but wired is MUCH more stable than wireless. In online play, being stable is as important as being low-pinged, if not more important. A car moving in an unstable way is a bomb.

My answer is, don't use wireless unless it's the only thing avaiable.

Sorry if I lagged you some day online.
Just to add...

Wifi works on the same frequency range as a wireless TV sender I used to use (2.4GHz).
As it was an audio/video signal, any interference was clearly noticeable whilst viewing the TV upstairs (horizontal lines across the screen, and a horrid noise).

All sorts of things used to cause a lot of interference, the most common would be when the microwave oven was in use, or when someone nearby was using a lawnmower.

I imagine the same things would interfere with a wireless network, and would certainly have an impact on gaming.
#88 - Jakg
Quote from PLAYAPIMP :im on wifi and i think im fine

Speed / Ping should be fine, but packetloss is the killer.
Quote from Jakg :Speed / Ping should be fine, but packetloss is the killer.

This is WiFi, not airport baggage claim.
Hmm, looks like windows 7 makes my internet run faster, as ever since i started using w7 as my OS i have noticed a significant increase in speed.

look...
Attached images
faster.jpg
124kb download?? you must be kidding lol i can download 1.3mb speeds easy
Quote from PLAYAPIMP :124kb download?? you must be kidding lol i can download 1.3mb speeds easy

How much did it grow? :rolleyes:
Sorry for totally de-railing this topic, but my line is capable to download 3.5mb each second, or 3500kb each second. That means that I roughly should use around 1 second to download a song, and even a HD movie will be downloaded in less than a hour.

Now, my epeen is so enourmous it totally oblirated this thread.
So you have have a 28meg line? Also, even 100 meg (12.5 MB/s) downstream is pointless if the sources you're receiving from don't have that kind of upstream bandwidth per connection.

That said, I got over 124 kB/s on 3g, if that's "faster", wtf was it before..?
Quote from NotAnIllusion :So you have have a 28meg line? Also, even 100 meg (12.5 MB/s) downstream is pointless if the sources you're receiving from don't have that kind of upstream bandwidth per connection.

That said, I got over 124 kB/s on 3g, if that's "faster", wtf was it before..?

That's true, and most sites don't allow that fast download either. Torrent and such are the best way to get maximum speed.
-
(WhackableMole) DELETED by WhackableMole
Quote from WhackableMole :Hmm, unfortunately having a 3.5 meg connection does not mean you will be able to download an entire song in a second. Your connection speed is measured megaBITS not megaBYTES, so you need to divide by 8 beforehand.

3.5 / 8 = 0.44 (2dp) megabytes per second.

It is still a pretty quick connection though. I am currently pulling 11mbps through my line but the upload is only about 0.7mbps. Not sure whether this is a good speed or not, but neither do I care particularly :P

Actually... In Nordic countries... they tend to have a 3.5 mb/s (read megabytes/second) connection. Heck, me over in Canada has a 2.2 mb/s connection myself. Unthrottled too .

And I'd trust TVE to know what he's talking about. He works customer support (I think) for an ISP, along with him explaining what you just said earlier in this thread.
Acknowledged and deleted
Quote from pik_d :If anyone expects me to ask every race "am I lagging" then they are out of their fool mind. If airio (the true spawn of satan) tells me I'm lagging I check then to see if other people see me lagging or if it was just one spike. I've had people tell me I'm lagging before and guess what, most of the time it was because I forgot to turn off utorrent or my roommate was downloading something.

If Airio reports you as lagging, it really means you are lagging. The measurement is very objective, server data are used for that. Server reports it misses your car position and if there's several such ocurrences in a row and they repeat again and again, then you're noticed, later spectated.

If server misses your car position, then naturally everyone else driving misses that position as well. Server supplies artificial position of your car (based on previous movement) to everyone, correcting it when new data arrive, that's why the car is jumping. An jumping cars are dangerous.

Also I'm not sure why you'd call Airio a "true spawn of satan". Too many messages, too much spamming? Turn off for yourself anything you do not need (try the magic Shift+i, maybe twice)! It is about the only InSim that may run completely silently for you (try !silent in latest versions), showing only a few really important messages, such as why you were spectated.

If you're not happy with the lagging check or spinning check or something else, then you should ask admins to change the settings or turn off the appropriate filter. If they are not willing to go that way, certainly it is not Airio's fault.

And yes, using wi-fi leads to lagging.
Yeah, the spamming was the first thing that annoyed me. Why do I have to configure some garbage for a 3rd party app to run on a busy FOX server? I turned a lot of the useless stuff off (left some of the stats stuff on though). There are some messages that I don't even understand why they exist. LFS by default tells you when someone has set the fastest lap, why does Airio need to do the same?

It's also the unnecessary nanny state of mind that it brings with it. Simply the mindset of "You have caused a yellow flag..." (even if I'm the only one within half a mile) is over the top. Does anyone who has just spun around really need to be told that they've caused a yellow flag? Do we really need to protect people from seeing the words "****" and "****"? I also once got a DT because I had to "cut" the track twice in one race to avoid other cars. That was really nice, avoid a wreck twice and get a DT for your efforts.

Airio has some good things such as whatever it copied from Lapper and the track rotation feature. It really should have stopped there though.

And thank you for that "using wi-fi leads to lagging" statement. What does it prove, that you can form a sentence? I gave some actual testing data comparing wireless to what the router sees which seems to point out that me using wi-fi adds 1-2ms on average to ping time. Using wi-fi leads to lagging much in the same way that spoons and forks lead to obesity.

Is it OK to use wireless?
(130 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG