The online racing simulator
Nvidia 3D Vision official for LFS
I got 3D shutter glasses years ago when ELSA made them, and I used a CRT. The effect was great, but they were a bit of a gimmick.

Since then I got in to racing sims and they're still a gimmick on shooters/RPG/RTS games etc but in racing games where sense of distance is key, they really are legit. Definitely recommend them.
#4 - Nick7
Well, I use 3D Vision and it's really great. It does give better feel, and does make it more realistic.

Also.. with '2D' you don't see how awesome cockpits in cars actually are. In 3D they are.. just awesome!

However, for RPG's 3D Vision really owns too (especially for World of Warcraft ).
Just got 3d glasses with 3d monitor and Nvidia 480 card, and downloaded all the drivers, but can't get the 3d to work in LFS.

Anyone tell me the right steps to go thru?

EDIT - Solved

Just had to reset my in game screen size and refresh rate, and car now in 3d.
LFS is ok with the new 3DVision but it's really awesome with an HMD with built-in headtracker
tell us more, which glasses do you have?
#8 - zapz
I've been using 3D glasses with a 21" CRT since about 2003.

I want to upgrade to a LCD, but I also need a new PC, since mine is also circa 2003.

I don't play LFS (or any other racing sim) without the glasses. When properly adjusted, the effect is sublime and I'd take a 22" LCD 3D monitor over a huge 2D HD projector screen, every time.
figured it out
The inside and outside view in lfs needs adjusting the 3D settings from the Nvidia panel. The glasses are for 2 hours maximum use per day. They can damage your eyes.
Show me some actual research that says they damage your eyes :doh:

Once your brain gets used to adjusting the convergence of your eyes without the focal depth, there is no perceivable eye strain provided you use decent convergence settings and don't try and play with the whole game "out of the screen".

When I first got them I ran for a lot more than 2 hours at a time some nights, no problem. I actually posted a thread wondering why I found my eyes LESS tired than after sessions of non-stereo gaming, I can still only assume it's because my eyes are at least adjusting "one parameter more" constantly so the muscles don't stay locked quite the same way as with 2D.

I noticed LFS was mentioned in the latest beta driver notes but I didn't check it out yet. It worked perfectly prior to these ones anyway
#13 - zapz
Did I miss something in the link? I didn't see anything about a two hour max.

In the first few years I had the shutter glasses, I used them for 4-6 hours a day for days on end... maybe even a few months straight.

My eye sight is pretty good - I don't, nor never have worn glasses and I'm closing in on 40.
#14 - zapz
I don't imagine it'll be any different... I didn't check yet, but I assume it still scans top -> bottom and thus will still be subjected to some ghosting here and there. What pisses me off is that the glasses only go totally opaque right in the centre - are yours like that too?
#16 - zapz
Quote from Ball Bearing Turbo :I don't imagine it'll be any different... I didn't check yet, but I assume it still scans top -> bottom and thus will still be subjected to some ghosting here and there. What pisses me off is that the glasses only go totally opaque right in the centre - are yours like that too?

I thought that ghosting was related to response time in LCD's and phosphorous decay time in CRT's. That's why white would ghost the most (hahaha) on my monitor, because white has the longest PDT. At least that's what I always reasoned...

My glasses work as good as they did on day one, ie they go evenly opaque.

Why racers aren't clamoring over themselves to get these things is a total mystery to me.
Quote from zapz :Why racers aren't clamoring over themselves to get these things is a total mystery to me.

Well, i for one know nothing about it, perhaps if i saw it, then i would consider it... I'm all for the immersion factor
Quote from zapz :Why racers aren't clamoring over themselves to get these things is a total mystery to me.

because basically shutter glasses have always been rather crappy and now with lcds theyre doubly crappy

ask me again when the first dolby 3d projectors hit the market at affordable prices
#19 - zapz
Sounds like you had a bad experience, what happened?

3D PJ would be nice, but unnecessary in my experience. Basically the 3D glasses turn the 22" monitor into a virtual window which is percived to be much larger, but further away. Through that window everything appears life sized. There's nothing infront of the monitor coming out out you when properly adjusted, at least in race sims.
#20 - zapz
Quote from GFresh :Well, i for one know nothing about it, perhaps if i saw it, then i would consider it... I'm all for the immersion factor

Look at your avatar, you're 1/2 way there lol.

But seriously just Google 3D LCD shutter glasses.

This is what I have, but I'm sure you could do better now-a-days. The biggest hitch for 3D is that you have to have a 120hz monitor.

http://www.google.com/products ... qi=2&ved=0CD4Q8wIwAg#
Quote from zapz :Sounds like you had a bad experience, what happened?

nah just the fact that adding flicker and losing about 90% of you monitors brightness mixed with the simple fact that its impossible for lcds to do 3d in tdm without ghosting isnt a particularly bright idea
#22 - zapz
Quote from Shotglass :nah just the fact that adding flicker and losing about 90% of you monitors brightness mixed with the simple fact that its impossible for lcds to do 3d in tdm without ghosting isnt a particularly bright idea

Are you speaking from experience with the new 120hz 3D LCD's (like the one I linked in my first post)?

The glasses cause my CRT to loose about 30-40% brightness. So I just turn up the brightness. Picture quality might suffer a tad, but it's no biggie and an extremely small price to pay for close to virtual reality levels of immersion.

BTW I don't notice any flicker with a 120hz refresh rate, YMMV.
Quote from zapz :3D PJ would be nice, but unnecessary in my experience. Basically the 3D glasses turn the 22" monitor into a virtual window which is percived to be much larger, but further away. Through that window everything appears life sized. There's nothing infront of the monitor coming out out you when properly adjusted, at least in race sims.

I'm really considering a projector around Christmas time, it's a whole new experience all over again at that point. Also, in race sims I tend to adjust convergence so that some things extrude a little. In LFS I usually have the virtual steering wheel a little out of the screen (maybe an inch or so only)

Quote from zapz :I thought that ghosting was related to response time in LCD's and phosphorous decay time in CRT's. That's why white would ghost the most (hahaha) on my monitor, because white has the longest PDT. At least that's what I always reasoned...

My glasses work as good as they did on day one, ie they go evenly opaque.

Why racers aren't clamoring over themselves to get these things is a total mystery to me.

The ghosting is because of the fact that the shutters can't be off the whole time the screen is drawing, or you'd never see anything... Some people find brightness an issue already. Your LCD scans from top to bottom constantly, so the shutters try to time it so that the centre of the screen is perfect. Thus the top and bottom are subjected to overlap, hence the ghosting - especially with white backgrounds & dark objects. There's a video on Youtube someone shot at 700fps through the glasses, so you can see the issue very clearly.

Quote from zapz :
BTW I don't notice any flicker with a 120hz refresh rate, YMMV.

He's talking 60hz per eye. Since it's interlaced like that you could argue that there is a minor amount of flicker. Though IMO it is nowhere near as bad as staring at a 60Hz CRT back in the old days for some reason.

I 100% agree that it is great though, looking at the Skip Barber (iRacing) car's detailed suspension in motion in 3D is fantastic.
Quote from Ball Bearing Turbo :The ghosting is because of the fact that the shutters can't be off the whole time the screen is drawing, or you'd never see anything... Some people find brightness an issue already. Your LCD scans from top to bottom constantly, so the shutters try to time it so that the centre of the screen is perfect. Thus the top and bottom are subjected to overlap, hence the ghosting - especially with white backgrounds & dark objects. There's a video on Youtube someone shot at 700fps through the glasses, so you can see the issue very clearly.

You're mixing things.

There's two types of ghosting on LCD's.
One which you mention here - top/bottom ghosting - due to nature how LCD redraws picture and time it takes to do it.
However, second one is real 'ghosting' - when previous frame bleeds into next one. You can notice it even in middle of monitor on high contrast areas (white over black, etc...).
This one is due to LCD 'lazyness' or time it needs to flip one pixel from one state to other. Overdrive helps there, but LCD's aren't there yet to be perfect.
Also, this kind of ghosting is actually noticeable in LFS.

FYI, I got LG W2363D monitor.
Sure that makes sense. I don't notice that though, I only notice the top/bottom sometimes. Using the 2233RZ Samsung.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG