The online racing simulator
Buying new guitar, needs advice
(106 posts, started )
Well, I have recently started playing more on my electric guitar, and I want to step up to the next level of guitar playing. I have been playing for 6 years but not had the right equiptment yet.. or well, it is good, but not GOOD!

I am currently thinking of buying a Ibanez S-5470 BBK :

but I canot manage to make up my mind.

However, someone has a good rock / heavy rock / metall guitar advice for me? Preferable black, it need to have 24 freets and beeing easy to play fast on.. meaning no big chubbby necks on it please.

Music that I am playing and will be playing (a guitar suited for this is wished) : Iron Maiden, In Flames, Avenged Sevenfold, Children Of Bodom etc etc. If it's suitable for playing more rock-ish stylish things like Bon Jovi and other rock ballades that is a BIG pluss for me aswell.

My limit / budget is around 2000-2200 bucks (american dollars).

Help?
Tor Bon Jovi.
Don't you dare ruining my topic, don't you #"%!# dare

Edit: It's cool man, but I tell you a secret - I have been playing in bands before (OMFG!!!). The most shocking truth is that I am not completely useless as my dick
Too late.

I'm the master ruiner, haven't you read?

Ok, I stop.
that shape is pretty close to a strat, so if you want that kind of shape, why not buy a mock strat and save some money?

on the other hand, i was poking around the gibson website and their explorer series looks pretty nice... they even have a few for under $1500, which is cheaper than that ibanez as well.

i guess it depends on how set you are on brand, and the design on the guitar.

edit: http://www2.gibson.com/Product ... ecy-Futura-Custom-FX.aspx
Pictures / info please? It's great if people can make the advice as info posts in this thread, so I can get my mind working and knowing the differnet models out there.

I like the shape of the guitar I linked above, the Ibanez S-5470 BBK. I don't like 'em too round, they need to be a little pointy, but not like the real metall guitars...they just seems to uncomfortable..aye?

I am in no need for a ego-brand, just a cool, GREAT sounding guitar which looks good
sorry, i forgot to paste it.
#8 - garph
This probably wont help you, I just wanted to post this. Got it last Monday, finally won one of the many ebay auctions I've bid on to try and buy one.

It's awesome.

Only a slightly helpful note the EMG's can't be beat for the palm mutting chug sound. The guitar plays amazingly as well and access to the higher frets is by far the best I played.

......and yes, I am a Metallica fan

ESP Explorer btw, old shape and the best, pre Gibson law suit.
Attached images
14082010146.jpg
14082010147.jpg
Thanks for the picture mate

It looks O.K, but how does it feel to play on? It looks like it's a painfull experience.. also, the sound?

Edit: It NEEDS to feel good to play on the upper freets too Sorry for beeing this demanding
I think becky needs to post up some pictures of her guitar, it really is a sexy bit of kit, it's called sally!
It's more comfortable to play than it looks, well balance the neck is really nice when playing, great shape for moving around on.

I also like the lack of body getting in the way with the strumming hand.
Quote from danthebangerboy :I think becky needs to post up some pictures of her guitar, it really is a sexy bit of kit, it's called sally!

You think on the ..thing she had I played on when beeing drunk?

Quote from garph :It's more comfortable to play than it looks, well balance the neck is really nice when playing, great shape for moving around on.

I also like the lack of body getting in the way with the strumming hand.

Hmmm.. So Strat guitar is the way to go? The pointy modell is named, and what is the best class of it with price?
If you really can play the guitar, then you should know it's not about the looks at all. It's about how it feels and what it sounds like. Nothing more, nothing less. You can choose color, but don't choose guitar by how it looks.
Ibanez or Yamaha is probs the best direction to go, but try Hagstroms, possibly the Fender Jaguar HH (i've got one but you need small hands!) if you want something a little different. Most importantly, try the thing in the shop and make sure it plays nicely!
well with that kind of budget you have PLENTY of options, You Can TRy different brands like: ESP, Schecter, Jackson, Etc, there's a Lot of brands that make guitars with those specs. BTW, will you be changing your tuning frequently? 'cause if you do so, then you will not want a Floyd rose style bridge, or if you'll keep that guitar you already have?, then you can use them both for different tunings... BTW That Ibby is Pretty Good, tryed one sometime ago (noodling on my local music store btw), was surprised by how it played, the bridge stayed perfectly in tune after some divebombs and so, very good action and feel in general, and it Screamed trough that Marshall JCM-900 I played it on, fell in love with it but I Would need to sell one of my legs to buy one with these crazy price tags on here :X.

Another thing that I Would like to ask you is: wich Amp you are going to play it with?, remember that THE MOST (actually i would say 89%) of your sound is from you amp, so if your looking for a different sound, spend on a different amp instead, and for the guitar We can suggest a Million Guitars to you, but You have to play'em to decide if you want it or not, and with that much cash on a guitar you have Plenty of options from where to pick .

So Start playing guitars on your musical shops, and make a New Guitar Day (NGD) Thread when you get it Please!!!111oneoneeleven xD.
I would recommend having a look at ESP/LTD guitars. My cousin has a LTD M-200FM and it felt really comfortable and was rather easy for me to play fast on. I hope to get one soon

Also as ADOLF1612 says, the amp really does make the sound, so you may want to have a look at a new one if you have a bit of money left over. No need to spend all your budget on a nice guitar and have it running through a crap practice amp

Now, go forth and try as many guitars as you can in your local music shops
Quote from mrodgers :If you really can play the guitar, then you should know it's not about the looks at all. It's about how it feels and what it sounds like. Nothing more, nothing less. You can choose color, but don't choose guitar by how it looks.

That I know, therfor I wanted the LFS forum to guide me, since I don't want to use a lot of money on just pure crap

Quote from J@mes :Ibanez or Yamaha is probs the best direction to go, but try Hagstroms, possibly the Fender Jaguar HH (i've got one but you need small hands!) if you want something a little different. Most importantly, try the thing in the shop and make sure it plays nicely!

Thanks for the tip, I will need doing that.

Quote from ADOLF1612 :well with that kind of budget you have PLENTY of options, You Can TRy different brands like: ESP, Schecter, Jackson, Etc, there's a Lot of brands that make guitars with those specs. BTW, will you be changing your tuning frequently? 'cause if you do so, then you will not want a Floyd rose style bridge, or if you'll keep that guitar you already have?, then you can use them both for different tunings... BTW That Ibby is Pretty Good, tryed one sometime ago (noodling on my local music store btw), was surprised by how it played, the bridge stayed perfectly in tune after some divebombs and so, very good action and feel in general, and it Screamed trough that Marshall JCM-900 I played it on, fell in love with it but I Would need to sell one of my legs to buy one with these crazy price tags on here :X.

Another thing that I Would like to ask you is: wich Amp you are going to play it with?, remember that THE MOST (actually i would say 89%) of your sound is from you amp, so if your looking for a different sound, spend on a different amp instead, and for the guitar We can suggest a Million Guitars to you, but You have to play'em to decide if you want it or not, and with that much cash on a guitar you have Plenty of options from where to pick .

So Start playing guitars on your musical shops, and make a New Guitar Day (NGD) Thread when you get it Please!!!111oneoneeleven xD.

Haha, thanks mate for the information
I am using Toneworks KORG AX1500G modell, that's the AMP right? I have played guitar for some time, but have not taken the time to learn so much about the equiptment sadly.

Would you recommend a other AMP than the KORG?

Quote from Kelvjy :I would recommend having a look at ESP/LTD guitars. My cousin has a LTD M-200FM and it felt really comfortable and was rather easy for me to play fast on. I hope to get one soon

Also as ADOLF1612 says, the amp really does make the sound, so you may want to have a look at a new one if you have a bit of money left over. No need to spend all your budget on a nice guitar and have it running through a crap practice amp

Now, go forth and try as many guitars as you can in your local music shops

I will I will
Quote from The Very End :I am using Toneworks KORG AX1500G modell, that's the AMP right?

That's not an amp, it's a guitar effects pedal. You can connect it either to speakers or just use headphones, but ideally, you would connect it to an amp. Guitar --> Effects Pedal --> Amp.
Ah... I though AMP whent under the name speaker or something, uff
Thanks for clearing that up!
My amp has such a fantastic overdriven sound that it doesn't need any external effects (other than the odd bit of wah), so everything I use gets stuck through the effects loop rather than in a chain like that - but I'm not a guitarist so I don't think I count

Our guitarist has a Suhr (which is a Strat-based design) and it has an amazing sound. The neck pickup has a thick, rich sound heading towards Les Paul flavour (although obviously not quite) and the bridge pickup brings out the top end without getting twangy.
And it looks like a hybrid between the jagged Ibanez/Jackson shape and the traditional curvy Strat.
YEAAAH ROCK'N ROLL BABY

Looks good, have been playing guitar 4 years, isn't kinda easy imo.
Quote from Timo1992 :
Looks good, have been playing guitar 4 years, isn't kinda easy imo.

You're either not playing anything that requires some skill ("power chords" don't) or you're very gifted/talented. It certainly isn't "kinda easy".
If you want to play cheesy metal solos then don't spend too much on the guitar, spend most of your money on delay and reverb effects. That's where the cheesy metal tone is at.

The Line 6 M9 and M13 are worth a look, lots of delay and verb models, plus filters, dirt, comps (the comps are actually alright), pitch shifters (very good - better than the Whammy) etc.

As for guitars, Ibanez if you want that scrawny neck and flat profile fingerboard, I think they feel horrible personally, flat shapes like that are no good for long fingers. It's no more difficult to play fast on a proper radiused neck IMO.
#24 - Uke
IF you're buying a gitar for better sound, you should rather buy a new amp. Also if you use transistor amplifier go and die TUBE AMPLIFIERS FOR THE ****ING WIN!

BUT If you're looking for comfort in playing/having a nice shining funny little stick to do things then buy a guitar. Seriously.
I agree with the people saying an amp will make more of a difference than a guitar (also the tube comment, well, i don't think you need to "go and die" if you're playing on a transistor amp, but tube amps sound A LOT better indeed).

However, this really depends on the guitar TVE already has. If it's an uber cheap beginner guitar, it's actually the guitar that will make a big difference, not the amp. My first guitar was some cheap ass beginner guitar (i think the brand was called Maverick). It did cost about 250 Euro new. I also had a 10W Marshall amp. One day i bought a new guitar (Jackson) which was about 700 Euro. The difference in sound quality was freaking HUGE (using the same amp)!

Just saying, a shit guitar will always sound shitty, even with a better amp (not that my 10W Marshall was any good).

(106 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG