The online racing simulator
Buying new guitar, needs advice
(106 posts, started )
#51 - Uke
Quote from The Very End :

Damn.. what a price..
One thing about Ibanez guitars, are their necks big and chubby, making it hard to play fast on? Saw a picture from one guitar from the side, was not impressed

Well Actually Ibanez Is known for it's super slim Necks, look at their Wizard necks Included in their RG Series guitars, Super Slim, BTW the necks on their S-series ones are thicker that RG's, not that much but quite some.

Anyway the neck profile is one of the most important things to look out on a guitar, that's why you should play the guitar you want before buying it.

EDIT: if you ever want to know who make Thick and very round necks, look for Gibson, Epiphone, Schecter in some of their guitars, and there's some more but can't remember them names exactly right now :S.
So the Ibanez RG series are the ones I should look for? I want something that is super flat and feels great to play on, I hate the chubby guitars
Quote from The Very End :
Not bad, only concern is that the freet is on just 22 in lenghts, should be 24

It is 24 in length, and My bad, I posted a lefty version, I have a right-handed version.
Quote from The Very End :So the Ibanez RG series are the ones I should look for? I want something that is super flat and feels great to play on, I hate the chubby guitars

Well If you want a Really Thin Neck then yes, Btw S-series neck is thicker that Rg's, but not that much, but yes the RG are the thinner necks i've played ever.

S-series necks are more, well, standard sized, pretty much like Jackson necks, Fender Necks, ESP, Etc. Wich Still are Thinner that Gibson and the like.

If oyu have any Doubts anyway you can look on the Ibanez Site, each model has their neck radius, size and thickness on their specs, see here for example:

Ibanez Prestige S5470 (your OP):

http://www.ibanez.com/ElectricGuitars/model-S5470

Ibanez Prestige RG3550MZ (The RG Equivalent, BTW S5470 is 100$ Less than this one in the states, AND of course you still got the whole RG Line to pick from )

http://www.ibanez.com/ElectricGuitars/model-RG3550MZ

Check 'em out, dont know were to find a thinner neck that isn't custom made, and in that case a lot more expensive.
If you compare the stats of the two guitars over there, isn't the neck dimmension the same or do I look wrong?

Either way, I am greatfull for your informative and well put help, I will try to test a Ibanez RG-series guitar over at my local shop, and if I like it - well then I order it cheaper from net (Norwegian site).

It's an allright choise, or anyone feeling I am doing a silly buy here and rather should go for a other guitar?
-
(brandons48) DELETED by brandons48
Quote from brandons48 :Ever considered an SG Tor?

Doesn't have to be a Gibson - But if you find a nice SG you won't regret it.
I have two - they're both brilliant for metal, the neck isn't fat (for me atleast) so you can play pretty fast etc.
It'd be good to set the guitar up ie lower the strings closer to the frets so you can tap etc a lot easier therefore play faster.
I was also looking at an ibanez a while a go, MTX-250 I think it was, Mick Tompson style (Slipknot's Lead Guitarist).

I think the best thing to do though is so go into a music shop, have a look around and actually sit down and try out the guitars. My local guitar shop let me try all sorts of guitar / amp combos, then even gave me a free case/leads and picks So it's worth actually going out and trying them, like others have said - it's not how it looks, it's how it plays and sounds.

Gibson SG "Gothic" - Mmmmm...

Well That's annother option, the thing is that he wants a really thin neck so he can play fast, and have to say that every Sg I've tryed (Being Gibson or even Epiphone) their necks feel thicker than a normal Strat neck, and if he's looking for a thin neck (and as I understand a normal strat neck is the maximun size he wants on a neck) then the Sg may not be for him, only for that reason, and that he wants a 24 fret guitar (BTW that Doesn't Means that it is a good one too, Quality And sound-wise, but as seen, it's specs aren't what he's looking for...), anyway, You (The Very End) are the one that is going to play it, so if oyu can go 'n try some on your music shop, as said, they are very good guitars too .

EDIT: And The Very End, you're welcome men , I'm Always trying (atleast) to guide guitarist to what they are looking for .

MACRO-EDIT:

Quote from The Very End :If you compare the stats of the two guitars over there, isn't the neck dimmension the same or do I look wrong?

Oh, well Yes, got a Bit confused there, they got the same Wizard II Neck, so their necks should feel basicly <the same-really close> between eachother, Btw S5470's Body is thinner that the RG, What does this mean? it is goign to be lighter (the Whole guitar) and maybe easier to play, but Rg's thick body will help to make the guitar Sound Heavy, and anyway the difference in weight isn't that much...
Quote from ADOLF1612 :the thing is that he wants a really thin neck so he can play fast,

I thought it was because he finds normal necks uncomfortable?

Being able to play something fast is all about repeating it over and over again until you can play it fast, the neck profile and fingerboard radius aren't hugely important so long as they're comfortable and uniform. The reason that skinny Ibanez shape has become so common in metal is because Ibanez paid all the metal guitarists to exclusively endorse their guitars, not because it's the best shape. If it was, everybody would be making them.

Quote from ADOLF1612 :Btw S5470's Body is thinner that the RG, What does this mean? it is goign to be lighter (the Whole guitar)

The density of a given species of wood isn't uniform. I've picked up alder strats that came off the same production line around the same time presumably from cuts that were related if not exactly the same tree and found them to be quite different in terms of weight.

More to the point, the S model you mentioned has a mahogany body, the RG is basswood. If you know anything about those two woods you will know that mahogany is considerably more dense and stiff, so the S model is likely to be the heavier guitar.

Quote from ADOLF1612 :and maybe easier to play,

Sorry but now we're getting into the realm of bullshit. Why would a lighter guitar be easier to play? Weight distribution matters, which is why you should always try a guitar on a strap in the shop before buying, but overall weight doesn't make a guitar easier or harder to play.

Quote from ADOLF1612 :but Rg's thick body will help to make the guitar Sound Heavy,

Can you describe the sonic qualities of a "heavy" sound? You gave him some good advice before, don't ruin it by talking a load of knackers now.

FWIW denser woods like mahogany tend to produce stronger and more detailed mid-range tones, whereas woods like basswood, swamp ash or alder (more typical electric guitar body woods) can sound more scooped. But it's quite subtle in most cases and the strings, pickups, electronics and hardware (in that order) have a much greater effect on the overall sound. Not forgetting the musician of course, who is the most important element.

Actually on a metal guitar, which has been routed out to fit humbucking pickups and active preamps and battery compartments and locking tremolo systems, there's going to be **** all wood left in the body anyway...
oh Well Passed Away the Fact That the S5470 is mahoghany, knowing that, Well yes it will sound heavier, but anyway there's a lot of things that affect the soung of a guitar.

I Said that The S would be easier to play because of the thinner body, not it's weight, Why this? well 'cause the fret access, that's annother aspect to look at.

Well Really sorry for the S/RG Body thing, really got confused there, there's a lot of things happening on here at my place and i was only trying to help, but being that confused isn't giving me any good result as i can see (retires to cry for giving bad advice).

Btw The Very End, really what you have to do is what has been said before, go to a music shop, try as many guitars as you want, and then walk away with the one you like , and really sorry for that Big mistake, Damn i sounded dumber than a 10-year old there .
A lot of good tips here

At the moment I am aiming for an Ibanez guitar, but will try out some in the local shop first. The reason for thin necks is because it feels better, and I can manage to play faster on them. On chubby necks I probally would be fast too, but a matter of preferance or what the name is

And I disagree that Ibanez is only popular because of rock / metall artist, I like it for it's color / shape / the whole guitar. I just don't like the shape or the other guitars as much as that. Tbh I think more rock artists uses the spicky ones
Quote from ADOLF1612 :I Said that The S would be easier to play because of the thinner body, not it's weight, Why this? well 'cause the fret access, that's annother aspect to look at.

The thickness of the body won't be a huge factor in upper fret access - the shape of the cutaway is more important - but the Prestige S models have a completely different heel joint to the RG models anyway. Even if they did both have the standard square-plate heel joint bear in mind on the RGs it's not flat - it's chamfered towards the treble side so it's not on the same plane as the back of the body.

Anyway, yes, go play some guitars and decide which one you like, because specifications are nothing but numbers. Take two guitars out of the same plant on the same day and you might find you love one and the other does nothing for you.

Quote from The Very End :And I disagree that Ibanez is only popular because of rock / metall artist, I like it for it's color / shape / the whole guitar.

Sorry, what I meant was that the definition of what a "metal guitar" should be has been set by a handful of manufacturers and even fewer musicians. If you like the look and feel of them then that's great, go ahead and buy the prettiest one you can find and it will make you very happy. I was just saying that you can play metal on pretty much anything, it just looks like you can't because that's what the manufacturers want you to think.
Quote from thisnameistaken :Anyway, yes, go play some guitars and decide which one you like, because specifications are nothing but numbers. Take two guitars out of the same plant on the same day and you might find you love one and the other does nothing for you.

Can I say something again?, well Agree on That, wouldn't like to risk myself again but I heard for example that with new Gibsons that's the case, some people try many <same-model> guitars because they say some feel different, for example someone goes for an Les Paul Standard, he plays like 6 of those or more to find the one he likes (and i Ask This Because Sadly my local music shop carries Fender Ibanez Jackson and even Parker guitars but never saw a Gibson in there), again don't know about Ibanez Prestiges being like that, but is not a bad idea to try some of the same guitar when you pick the one you like, i deffinitively would do that, even if i trust on the quality control.

And for 'you can play metal on pretty much anything' agree too, see Yngwie malmsteen playing all that neo-classic metal on a Stratocaster, and i heard of some death-metal band out there wich one guitarist of them plays with a Normal Telecaster, so that means that doesn't matters what you play, as long as you like how it plays and how it sounds

BTW, getting my brain back on here :S.
Well, I whent to the shop and got a taste of the Alexi Signature Modell guitar, it just felt great to play on. See attached picture below to see what I ordered from the shop.

BUT! The girl I am dating and hanging around with does a lot of designs, and she is familiar with the surface of the guitar(s), therfor she have been given the task to try making some suggestions for me to vinyl/eye candy / colors / theme on the guitar, so it might in the end look different. I might just aswell play it safe and going for this look:

My first choise were an Ibanes guitar, around 10 000 NOK, in the RG serie. Problem were some damages to it, and even if price were lowered I don't want to risk anything, therfor I whent for this one after some test rides.

What you think?
, You Got There a Metal Machine Men!! That's Fri**ing nice , Btw You Got the ESP Model or the LTD Model? (Simply a confusion on the pics, and yes, that's a nice stripe you're getting there ), and annother thing, you already have it on your place? if so, would you like to take some pics to show her (the guitar btw xD) here on the forums? to see how she looks, bet that she is amazing .

Congrats Men!!! now go 'n rock the hell out of it \m/, :bannana_g
Oh... now you are asking difficoult I am not 100% sure on that one, the guitar arrives in the shop on wedensday or something this week, I will confirm what's right then.

Thanks too I'll upload some pictures of the beast when I get it.

The first reaction of my mum were the question if I worshiped the devil
#66 - Uke
Quote from The Very End :Oh... now you are asking difficoult I am not 100% sure on that one, the guitar arrives in the shop on wedensday or something this week, I will confirm what's right then.

Thanks too I'll upload some pictures of the beast when I get it.

The first reaction of my mum were the question if I worshiped the devil

The first reaction on what? Alexi Laiho stlyed guitar?
Yeah, also because I have colored the hair black last week
Quote from The Very End :Yeah, also because I have colored the hair black last week

Me wants a picture...
hahahaha.... I can't stop laughing....

Nice guitar BTW!
When the picture is at place I'll take a picture of "us" both
Also I will have recording possebilities tomorrow, a friend from work brining a sound card, cables and program.

Can't wait to try it out!
Get a proper guitar (acoustic). Hohner make the best acoustics IMO can't go wrong there. Easy to replace strings on a Hohner too, which is handy after a kneecap busting solo.
I have a good acustic guitar, but this time it was the El-guitar that needed a upgrade
Quote from The Very End :I have a good acustic guitar, but this time it was the El-guitar that needed a upgrade

What brand is your acoustic?
I have no clue lol, bought it in a shop in sweden, black Costed around 400 bucks.
#74 - Uke
Quote from The Very End :I have no clue lol, bought it in a shop in sweden, black Costed around 400 bucks.

Sounds like a great guitar : P
Not really, but it sounds good Not a top end guitar, but enough to impress the girls with hehe!

Buying new guitar, needs advice
(106 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG