The online racing simulator
Quote from RevengeR :Because of the lack of rear ARB.

There's plenty of cars lacking a rear ARB IRL (though not many have the power/weight ratio of the RAC).
Quite a few people drive it in: cargame.nl S2

I think its great. At first I could not handle the rear wheel drives at all but after a fair bit of practice they are very rewarding. LX4/6, FZ5 and the RAC are all awesome once you get the hang of them.

In fact it was a driver from IHR named NS who told me exactly that when I was moving up from the FXO. He said the RWDs are harder to driver but much more rewarding, and he was totally right

The main thing is throttle control I would say. You can't floor it out of the corner or you will oversteer and destroy the tyres very quickly. It feels like you are slow in the corners compared to the FWDs but you have more power going down. And once you are in a straight line you feel the power!
Quote from NightShift : There's plenty of cars lacking a rear ARB IRL (though not many have the power/weight ratio of the RAC).

Still they are not tuned and tricked out to get maximum corner G's, so they behave totally different.
#54 - Uke
Quote from rockclan :Oh come on, it's not that hard, even I can control it.

And as proof that it's not that hard, here's a replay of a 3 lap drive:

I said most of the people. I can controll the RAC and I love it. Most of the people however don't
That's because it drives like a Barbie doll car. :static:
Worst example of the LFS floaty rollerskate physics. Hideous lack of ffb, and a rear end that snaps round quicker than you can say "shit".

Quite enjoyable when you have a real soft setup, and amongst others racing with the same sort of skill level, but it just always seem to have a much wider gulf between you and the aliens than any other car has.

Enjoyment to race result ratio = Far less than other cars.
#57 - Dac
I too have a love/hate relationship with the RAC, I regularly use it when I get bored of the rest and want to drive something a bit funky. The interior looks really good I think. As has been done to death, the handling is pretty bad. Understeer into the corner and death oversteer on the exit. It can even be pretty fatal just going over a crest like the first chicane at Aston Historic. I think the main reason for it is due to the short wheelbase, mid engine and road tyres. This means the low polar inertia will allow it to turn very quickly without the stable front:rear balance and grip of a longer wheelbase with slicks. Still it might be how the MGF, Elise, MR2 handle characteristics.
You'll find that most similar r/l cars are a LOT more predictable than the RAC. It's chassis is sensitive to throttle inputs like a good mid engined car should be, but when you combine that with a torquey turbo lump, poor weight distribution and limited setup options, it makes is a tough car to fully get to grips with.

If you don't trust your car you won't enjoy racing it, so not many people do.
Hang a seat over the rear end. Get your fattest mate to sit on it, and tell him to make like a racing sidecar guy, shifting his weight over into the corners, and it could really be something sweet.
#60 - senn
Quote from Theafro :You'll find that most similar r/l cars are a LOT more predictable than the RAC. It's chassis is sensitive to throttle inputs like a good mid engined car should be, but when you combine that with a torquey turbo lump, poor weight distribution and limited setup options, it makes is a tough car to fully get to grips with.

If you don't trust your car you won't enjoy racing it, so not many people do.

the problem i find with the RAC, is that it doesn't turn in well under braking (weight transfer to front) and is difficult to control on corner exit with throttle. I've tried to be damn gentle on exit, or even hold it in a slide, but it's bloody hard! The window for being able to drive the car fast is tiny compared to most cars, but it's still fun to try drive a fast time in it, as it is possible, and when you get it right, it's scaryfast. But i still prefer the LX6/LX4
I like RAC, but I've mostly done a couple hotlaps here and there, very rare to find a chance to race it online. The whole LRF class is the hardest to race and hence the least popular, and while FZ5 has some uses on faster tracks, LX6 dominates RAC everywhere, so I guess that's why RAC is more than 2x less popular than the next least popular car (FZ 50)...
Quote from senn :the problem i find with the RAC, is that it doesn't turn in well under braking (weight transfer to front)

It can turn well if you use LSD (or at least used to). I remember it could be quite fun to trail-brake in some longer turns (say T1 at We rev), once you start it had some resemblance to 8s of rodeo when the bull is let loose...
Quote from unseen :Hang a seat over the rear end. Get your fattest mate to sit on it, and tell him to make like a racing sidecar guy, shifting his weight over into the corners, and it could really be something sweet.

Or drive it into corners as if you were exiting, and drive it thru exit as if you were entering.
I was racing it last night on Cargame.nl, the only place where I can drive it online without being surrounded by drifters. When I say racing I mean lapping on my own, no-one else was feeling suicidal with me at the time. I've worked on a set for the RAC over a period of time and got it to a stage where I'm happy with it.

The main tactic I use when driving it through fast corners, such as those at KY3R last night, was to have a really quick lift off the throttle just on turn-in, this would make the rear end a bit loose and you would then get straight back on the power, drive the whole corner feathering the throttle and using the power to steer, the only steering inputs you have to make are corrective ones. I found simply going into fast coners on a balanced throttle would make it understeer massively. This way of driving is fun and it seems to works, and the rear tyres just about managed 4 laps of KY GP Reverse.

The hardest thing about driving this car is, for me, getting it turned in on slow corners where trail braking doesn't have as much of an effect and most of the time I end up entering it completely broadside, or just plowing straight on.
im racing it when ever i go on cargame, i find tbo, gti and gtrs rather boring so i always go with lxs or rac.

had a nice fight with lx6 guys yesterday, it kinda awesome when you are fighting in a car that is just waiting to go off track, same with lx6 guy, but we had nice races :o

basically, i use rac to improve my fox driving skill, since i started handling foxhas become a child play, when it starts to go away from me, i can catch it with ease
I like the RAC because it's fast and challenging to drive. i rather choose empty lrf server than bloody gtr\multiclass server
#67 - BURN
It is challenging to drive, but not very suitable for close racing, IMO... more of an endurance car for that matter.

The LX6 on the other hand is a lot more predictable without being to easy to handle. It so much fun climbing the uphill-righthander at Westhill Reverse (the whole track is awesome with this car)
Y'all are crazy. This car is a sweetheart! It's very docile and is nimble as a flea.
For those who want it I could set up a LRF server.

I will be there regulary to admin, so there won't be noobed.

I'm starting this server in a few minutes, and it will be called:

-TRR- LRF Racing
I like RAC!!!
The couple of times I've tried it with wheel and pedals I can see why it would be worth persevering and getting to grips with, I can imagine it's pretty rewarding. However, it's a nightmare to mouse so I generally avoid it

As for the interior...yeah, a bit b'ugly; drove it for 5mins then got the dds straight into Photoshop!
Love the LX's but the RAC is a complete turd on wheels , i hope to God the real RAC is not like the shitbox represented in LFS .

I,m not trying to be insulting but a car that doesn't know which end it wants to swap first can't be a good simulation of the real deal.

LX6 on the other hand is a beautiful thing to drive and i like that you have to respect it a bit too .

Imho all the cars bar the RAC are very well done and drive nicely , before everyone jumps in i have driven mid engined cars albeit a Toyota MR2 and they can be twitchy especially the early models.
the RAC is such a mixed car...some people say it's docile and nimble, others say it's hell to drive and doesn't know where it's going.

This car is like a girl! Some days it's very nice to you, lets you do what you like and gives you a great time but there are other days where you just catch it in a very bad mood and once you turn the wheel it'll try to veer you off or spin into the oblivion.
That's my take on this thing.
The RAC is fun on LFSTweak, giving it a heavier engine helps with handling, in my experience
The brakes (at least on default setups) are shit. Other than that it would be an awesome car to race.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG