The online racing simulator
LFS: SIM or ARCADE ?
(34 posts, started )
Today a big surprise, in BL1, with FBM a new wr.

Grats to the guy but ... a WR with a MOUSE i think that ...it's no SIM, it's simple an ARCADE.

IMHO, of course.
#2 - Rikje
Quote from michele0676 :Today a big surprise, in BL1, with FBM a new wr.

Grats to the guy but ... a WR with a MOUSE i think that ...it's no SIM, it's simple an ARCADE.

IMHO, of course.

That wr is fake
#3 - AMB
Not the first time that WR's been cheated, like Bawbag said, it's possible to get a 1:11 without the exploit, not saying what it is because if I do there will probably be a flux of people doing it. (most of you probably know, hopefully with the patch it will be fixed)
More to the point, how does the used controller reflect the difference between arcade and sim? Just because someone drives a good time with mouse or keyboard doesn't make LFS an arcade. As a matter of fact, mouse has certain advantages over a wheel like ultra fast countersteering.
If something, this only demonstrates how well managed the steering input is in LFS that it allows everyone to be competitive.
While I think it's potentially too easy to use mouse and keyboard there's nothing you can do if you want it to be a fair system; not everyone has a wheel so who is anyone to tell them they can't stand up to the people that do?
LFS is a racing simulator, steering is a part of racing, using a mouse isn't an accurate simulation of steering
Quote from michele0676 :a WR with a MOUSE i think that ...it's no SIM, it's simple an ARCADE.

IMHO, of course.

I've had about 6wr's and all get with mouse (discuding my early years of lfs with wheel when I had one WR)
I'm still using mouse but now I also have 3 pedals so it's just better.
My best WRs was done with only mouse+keyboard and mouse was really old one from microsoft, two buttons and a ball.
Quote from michele0676 :Today a big surprise, in BL1, with FBM a new wr.

IMHO, of course.

It's not a question of being a sim or an arcade, but rather a question of skill.
You can put a mouse in your car and win races, I won't say a word.

Edit: LFS is just a tool. Your skill is how you can use that tool.
LFS is a computer game. /thread
#10 - aoun
Quote from Kalev EST :LFS is a computer game. /thread

I wrote about 10 paragraphs. Deleted it, no point explaining. That sums it up. Its a computer game! +1

"just shutup and play!"
#11 - STF
Im wondering if this could work with pedals and mouse, live feed from a few high resolution cameras, and an empty track to dick around.
-
(brandons48) DELETED by brandons48
not Another mouse vs wheel thread please...
Well going on the initial thread title, and because i feel like being a little pedantic i have extensive knowledge of arcades all around the UK (even down to being able to pretty much near enough name every fruit machine in an entire place depending on location and/or swap overs) i can safely tell you that there is no arcade i know of that has anything like LFS in it.
Most arcades do feature something many LFS users wish for though, a nice cockpit with a fully adjustable seat, full sized wheel and pedals and an H-shifter, some even have a proper handbrake!
Edit: That actually might make such arcades more realistic than the average LFS experience...
^^^^

can't really argue with that morpha, a proper cockpit etc.. is always good!
Anyone played in the F355 Game Cockpit? That one is awesome! I loved the proper H-Gate! Just a shame the wheel was such hard plastic.
The best cockpit I've seen in an arcade is at Blackpool. An MX-5 in front of a huge projector screen.
I was aiming to compete in the v1 championship if it is still on, but if i am disadvantage because i am using a g25 what can i do?. Im not going to use a mouse while i have g25. I have asked many people that have been fast on the servers i race on, what are they using and it's always the damn mouse, if something can be done, it should :/
If devs made a maximum turn rate speed a server option. Something similar to the fastest you can turn a 900 degrees wheel - Then mouse/joypad/kb users would have a bigger delay when turning so they would be at the same disadvantage as wheel users are.

To them it would appear like a laggy wheel, but if it was server option then people couldn't complain. A bit like FCV option.

Maybe that's the solution?
#20 - STF
You`d have to take into account every wheel ever made, because there are some out there that turn blazingly fast.
No, players will circumvent it by assigning mouse x-y as wheel axis, as long as there is possibility to do that.
This is the future, I tell you. :duck:
Quote from STF :You`d have to take into account every wheel ever made, because there are some out there that turn blazingly fast.

But I meant, limit the turn rate to the fastest you can turn a race car/road car wheel in real life. The blazingly fast turning wheel would be useful for feedback to the driver, say if a wall was hit and the wheel flings back really fast so the wheel can still 'feedback' fast. Yes - i agree, when the wheel calibrates, yes it spins fast, when a player spins it with his hands with no resistance acting on it, yes it's possible to turns fast - What I meant was there must be REAL LIFE limit to which a real wheel in a real car can be turned by a human, limit the game to that. You'd have a differnt turn rate possible for each car beacuse some cars have heavier steering than others. Even have that slowed-down effect that the virtual game wheel is experiencng feedback to the driver incase they exceed the turn speed limit because they have forces turned down too low. After that if the FFB was really too low and you could overcome the slight dampening effect, the in game wheel would still take longer time to catch up. The feedback dampening would be mainly to help the driver know his forces are too low compared to what's possible in a real car.

I imagine there are some IRL drivers that can turn a car's wheel quite fast, because of skill and arm strength. BUT there is no way anyone IRL could turn a wheel as fast as the mouse or joypad can move the virtual wheel. Limit that and then mouse and joypad would be more difficult. They could map the mouse to a wheel axis as you said - sure, but if the maximum turn rate speed is limited then they wouldn't have any more advantage over a real wheel user. They couldn't go from full-lock to full -lock in an instant. The movement would be a slugglish as a real steering wheel.

Does that make more sense? Basically forcing analog steer smoothing to a value that resembles a real life driving wheel.
Quote from JasonJ :If devs made a maximum turn rate speed a server option. Something similar to the fastest you can turn a 900 degrees wheel - Then mouse/joypad/kb users would have a bigger delay when turning so they would be at the same disadvantage as wheel users are.

To them it would appear like a laggy wheel, but if it was server option then people couldn't complain. A bit like FCV option.

Maybe that's the solution?

Mouse users are disadvantaged in other ways though, including no analogue control for throttle and brake, no force feedback, etc. You can delay the turn rate speed of a mouse user, but if you were really serious about levelling the playing field you'd also need to strip down pedal inputs to a basic on/off functionality, and I can't see anyone going for that!
Quote from Electrik Kar :Mouse users are disadvantaged in other ways though, including no analogue control for throttle and brake, no force feedback, etc. You can delay the turn rate speed of a mouse user, but if you were really serious about levelling the playing field you'd also need to strip down pedal inputs to a basic on/off functionality, and I can't see anyone going for that!

He didn't say "level the playing field", he basically said "force some realism onto mouse (and keyboard) users". You can step on it all the way in real life, but you can't turn from lock to lock in under a sec
Quote from morpha :He didn't say "level the playing field", he basically said "force some realism onto mouse (and keyboard) users". You can step on it all the way in real life, but you can't turn from lock to lock in under a sec

Well, there seems to be two arguments going on. One is about realism, and one is about the supposed advantages of using a mouse. The quote that I was responding to seemed to be more about the using the mouse to an advantage, which I thought was a little unfair as there are things about using a mouse that are pretty shitty when it comes to controlling a racecar, as any mouse user knows.

(34 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG