The online racing simulator
LFS: SIM or ARCADE ?
(34 posts, started )
Who cares? I prefer to play LFS with a steering wheel and be the last noob in the grid rather than holding 10 world recrods with a mouse. That guy has probably a bigger e-penis than me, but I'm having much more fun
Quote from NitroNitrous :Who cares? I prefer to play LFS with a steering wheel and be the last noob in the grid rather than holding 10 world recrods with a mouse. That guy has probably a bigger e-penis than me, but I'm having much more fun

/thread
Quick mousers are unable to not show off their e-peen, true story. /le sigh
Quote from morpha :Most arcades do feature something many LFS users wish for though, a nice cockpit with a fully adjustable seat, full sized wheel and pedals and an H-shifter, some even have a proper handbrake!
Edit: That actually might make such arcades more realistic than the average LFS experience...

YES, YES, YES - realistic simulator and realistic cockpit
this is my ultimate realistic experience

Details here: http://www.lfsforum.net/showthread.php?p=1413296#post1413296
#30 - STF
Quote from JasonJ :[...]

Yes, that does make perfect sense, I agree completely, and for the record I pretty much dislike "mouse" as a mean to control a sim.
I thought you were referring to wheels as in computer hardware.
eKar: yer, I was trying to force limitation on mouse etc users to 'level the playing' field, (a bit at least). Impossible to get them equal to wheel users, but I was hoping something to get it somewhat closer.

But the more I think about it, does the ability to swing the wheel that far and that quickly really help? When racing, throwing the wheel huge amounts really doesn't help much, easier to drift yes, but racing? - I don't think it helps much. The smoother and less violently you steer - the faster you drive I find. So I dunno if limiting steer rate would help

So are large majority of WR holders mouse users because:
1) There are more people using mouse because it's cheaper and more accessible?
2) Those people with WRs have played longer and had more practice than people who have not had there wheel very long? Mouse users will generally have more practice time because not everyone buys a wheel when they buy a PC. Mouse comes packaged with any PC.
edit:
I suppose downloading the WR replays from mouse users and watching them would be more educational.
(hmmm, most of the WR's are from [w] wheel users?) uhmm wat is the argument then?

Top 10 WR FBM BL1 hotlaps, only one is a mouse user
http://www.lfsworld.net/?win=h ... ;country=&controller=
1 Bawbag C w ¤ L 1:12.080
2 pontiac solstice C w ¤ L 1:12.110
3 Rocabiliz C w ¤ L 1:12.120
4 v1rg0 C w ¤ L 1:12.150
5 MarcG C w ¤ L 1:12.250
6 j_rautio C w ¤ R 1:12.260
7 DaveWS C w ¤ L 1:12.280
8 DMDF C m R 1:12.360
9 RamboJorGen C w ¤ L 1:12.370
10 Eiw C w ¤ L 1:12.380

Can anyone define what makes a mouse driver faster? I am starting to fail to see any advantage of using mouse. Can this advantage (if any) be removed from the sim, but still allow the input devices to be used?
Quote from JasonJ :
(hmmm, most of the WR's are from [w] wheel users?) uhmm wat is the argument then?

I was going to suggest this as well. Atleast, when I was using mouse and hot-lapping (have a wheel now) I would look at the mouse times as the benchmark because I thought I would never be able to get close to the wheel times. There are a few combos where mouse seems to dominate- (BL1/XFG) but atleast when I was playing wheels represented the majority of WR's and top ten times.

Quote :ut the more I think about it, does the ability to swing the wheel that far and that quickly really help?

In hotlapping atleast, I wouldn't think so. In a race, maybe it might help a bit with correcting a bad situation on some occasions, but any proficient wheel driver should be able to handle the same situation just as well as any mouser, imo. I'm not really sure actually. In any case, the main disadvantage of using a wheel (with FF) seems to be fatigue. Also, the fact that it takes up half your desk, and that you have to explain to your non simming friends why you have the thing bolted to your desk in the first place!
Quote from Electrik Kar :
I'm not really sure actually. In any case, the main disadvantage of using a wheel ....... the fact that it takes up half your desk, and that you have to explain to your non simming friends why you have the thing bolted to your desk in the first place!

Instead of feeling the need to explain yourself, just suggest to them that they install a mouse into their car.
Quote from NotAnIllusion :LFS is a racing simulator, steering is a part of racing, using a mouse isn't an accurate simulation of steering

LOL
I played a lot of racing games on keyboard, then with wheel.
LFS with mouse, couldn't drive it on keyb. and I loved mouse steering from Midtown Madness.
And I played LFS with wheel too, but, if you don't have some fancy wheel, mouse is better, my choice?

Proper Mouse + pedals (independent brake and gas).
And you've got the best combo imho. Fast countersteer, no force feedback to fight with, and analog brake and gas.

BL1/FBM quite easy, drove a lot that combo before winning in that combo a S2 licence, on Mouse+keyboard that I use, no wheels, no pedals.
When do you need pedals? On the hard handling cars. When you need to be faster when braking and exiting the corner. That's the only advantage you can better control the too much powered cars and brakes locking so you can have greater brake force than on keyboard, well until you switch on ABS then brake problem is halfed.

LFS: SIM or ARCADE ?
(34 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG