The online racing simulator
Cases, cases everywhere...
(10 posts, started )
..shame they're all either bollocks, expensive or "OMGWTF1111" cases. Basically I'm looking for a new place to house my main rig, and I'm looking for suggestions. I'm afraid I'm rather picky these days, and my criteria are as follows
  • it needs to be small-ish. midi or smaller (I need the space)
  • it needs to fit a full ATX board (with a minimum of 2cm clearance at the end opposite to the back plate)
  • it needs to fit at least 2 HDD's, and 1 CDROM/DVD device, with an Arctic cooling freezer cooler and a GeForce 6800
  • it needs to be quietly stylish (I've over the whole LED and neon thing. I'm not fussed over windows either atm)
  • it needs to preferably have some built in anti-dust filters/mechanisms
  • it must be quiet by design
Unfortunately I'm only coming up with the Antec P180 - which is a little too big for my liking, and the P150 which I dont like as much. I'm pretty much thinking about designing and building my own - it just seems like a lot of hassle, or just rackmounting it (which would probably be cheaper)

So any ideas guys and gals?

For reference I have an Arctic Cooling T1 (which is utter shite tbh).
-
(thisnameistaken) DELETED by thisnameistaken
http://www.xcase.co.uk/

They have a massive selection of cases. But what you're after isn't going to be easy to find. The smallest case I have ever used which fit a full-atx board was an OEM case. Wasn't a pretty case, but well built.
Cheers Kev/thisnameistaken. I've had a look at Lian Li cases before, and they are nicely built. Just a little over priced imho

P5YcHoM4N, thanks for the reference, I'll take a look. I know exactly what you mean about the OEM cases, I've had a lot of the same experiences. Unfortunately Micro ATX, or any new form factor, just isnt possible for this particular project - I just cant justify another motherboard as well
I suppose it's probably too big for you but I have a Coolermaster Wavemaster in black and I'd buy another to be honest. It's been great. Looks good, runs fairly quietly and pretty cool. Classy.
I would agree with Kev that Lian-Li are awsome cases ,the cheap pc6 pc7 style cases are good value for a high build quality case , all have dust filters iirc and my board temps are 2 - 5 deg lower than other non alu cases I have tried

SD.
Got me a good old beige box here. Colours matches everything else I have too (except my silver and black mouse - but my hands over that so I can't see it ). Until ATX dies it'll be around for a while.

My point is I don't like most cases either, good luck on your quest.
I'm not sure if this fits into your specs. But from memory most desktop cases are some what smaller then towers. If that is true (not used on since the 90's so I don't really remember), you could stand one on it's end.

But this is the smallest tower I have ever used which supports a full-atx. There isn't really much to cut from that to make it any smaller either. So if you buy any OEM case, then it'll be around that sort of size. The case can't get much thinner then that either as the PSU has about 80mm each side. If you build your own I guess you could make the optical drives, HDD (and FDD if you use it) and PSU vertical which means you can bring in the width, but you'll need a little more hight on top. Unless you want the PSU to overlap the mobo.

After writing that I also remembered there is this. Though it'd need some sort of sidings, it's kinda small.
#8 - Bean0
Antec Sonata II

I have one and its pretty quiet and has room for all your bits, also has a air duct type thingy for the CPU fan but I didn't bother fitting it
-
(Janni1687) DELETED by Janni1687
#9 - shim
ive seen a Thermaltake case blow up a motherboard before cause of the front panel had a issue with everymotherboard out there.. the firewire port wasnt correctly wired and thus made the motherboards go boom..

me housemate has a lian Li case, and damn its nice..
-
(Janni1687) DELETED by Janni1687
i second the sonata suggestion. i have one, and i'm very pleased with it. relatively small, looks good, and excellent build quality. my only complaint is no removable mobo tray, although it's not a big issue. not to mention it comes with a decent psu, unlike most cases.

(10 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG