The online racing simulator
I miss the old LFSforum
(119 posts, started )
I miss the old LFSforum
Sure, I am, as someone described me, a raging drunk.. But as I am sitting here reading topics, drunk as usually, I canot ignore what's happend to the forum.

Everytime somone posts anything that might be a questionable question, it's usually ends up with the ordinary flamewar replies, and everyone jumps the "cool" flow and flaming the living shit out of everything, posting replies like "failthread", "that's gay", "+1 agree to above" and such... For some time it's fun, and in topics that are made to out of fun - sure, it can work.. But seeing topic after topic after topic getting ruined by this utterly low intelligent posting is really a bad thing. If a newcombers ask a question, what happens? Well, you can be sure on that he will be replied with "old suggestion is old", or "been suggested before, use search for ****s sake".. The forum is hostile, childish and in some situations...retarded..

It's failing on beeing humoristic, because as a newcomber you get the impression that this is an **** forum. One wrong suggestion / question and you will be punished by the spammers that will flame you into oblivion.

I know it's nothing we can do to it, since more and more kids are getting internett, and because it's "cool" to be an totally **** on internett for popularity and attention.. but I really had wished LFS forum could keep itæs nice friendly and atmosphere.

I miss the old forum, where people could ask all kind of questions, and get answers back. Even if it were to be asked a million times before, people would still answer in the topic or giving a link to the user so he could find an answer.

My litte rant for today, but I hope that the ones beeing guilty here takes a little notice of it. Not everyone have the time browsing thousands of topics on the forum, and new people might even not know what you call the "simplest" things.

Peace out
been suggested before, use search for ****s sake!

Sorry, i had to
Go to bed instead of making stupid threads you drunktard.

On a more serious note, I somewhat agree.
However, it does get annoying to read the same threads over and over again in the Suggestion section, or moaning threads in General discussion.
For gods sake there are two active threads about LFS development in General, and then another guy comes and creates another thread "demanding more dev's".... Why....?! Are you freaking blind or something?

I can see how the "childish" replies might get on peoples nerves, but repeating ourselves million of times does also get nerve wrecking.....

Yes this place used to be better. But its not the fault of the "old bums".
The new guys need to adapt, and a very good starting place is to use the search function. It was invented for a reason for petes sake!
What I find strange however, is that the most hostile ones are the ones with joined date 07-08 The "old ones" doesn't seem to botter too much. Of course it might have to do something with that they are not checking the forum that often as the semi-old ones are doing it.

But my point is, if you see a topic, where it's a totally silly question, either ignore the stupid question and answer the question, or ignore the topic. If no ones replies to the topic it gives a signal to the author that he is doing something wrong.. And personally I think that has a better effect, and might even get him to use search, instead of scaring him off with a flamewar.

I agree, it's bottersome beeing questioned about the tyre physic update and such, but it's better to answer the question, and ask a moderator to close the topic if it's really that bad, or just ignore it. It helps a lot and makes the impression of LFS forum much better.

People should feel welcommed here, and shouldn't be afraight to ask question. A forum is a place where you share opinions, questions, thoughts and so on, and if we can keep the atmosphere cool and friendly, I think it will benefit all parts invovled
You're just carring too much It can't be 'like it used to be'. People are fed up with same all questions all the time, people are inpatient for the new stuff, people are fed up with practically non-existant development.
At the end, you should just be happy that plenty of old-timers still visit and post in the forums. It's a great community with similiar-minded people, so that's why i'm still here, but i only visit off topic section practically..
Quote from The Very End :
But my point is, if you see a topic, where it's a totally silly question, either ignore the stupid question and answer the question, or ignore the topic. If no ones replies to the topic it gives a signal to the author that he is doing something wrong.. And personally I think that has a better effect, and might even get him to use search, instead of scaring him off with a flamewar.

That is just stupid TVE.

In all honesty, thats how Forums work. Or the internets rather.

Find me a forum where they "obbey" to this "rule" you posted? I doubt you will to be honest.....
Go to any forum and make a thread that is silly/has been discussed. You will get you ass set on fire.....
...Why can't we just get allong?
I am no hippie, tard (well might be a little one) or anything, but it's so anoying seeing everyone making so big fuzz about everything.. LFS forum has allways been a great place, but nowdays the quality have gone down and it's feeling so... cold and not friendly towards new people
Quote from The Very End :If no ones replies to the topic it gives a signal to the author that he is doing something wrong..

no, usually if nobody replies, they'll spam the thread 5 times in half an hour screaming: "anybody?" "hello, answer my freaking question" "i'm too dumb or lazy to use search, even though it's built into the newthread page"...

but this thread in itself is also a dupe, and i think it can only be solved by more moderation... but seeing as i'm already getting complaints that i report too many threads, i won't be the one pushing the shiny red button.
Exactly.

There is a limit till how much you can ignore them.

Its like a crying baby - They will find other ways to get your attention....
That depends a lot on the user. I don't think that every user not getting an answer on their question will spam the topic every hours or so.
But again, answering the question doesn't take any more effort than flaming the user, so why flame when you can answer the question and end the topic?

It might be stupid, sure, but I'd really had hoped this could be a place where it's not "cool" to be an ****.
Quote from The Very End :What I find strange however, is that the most hostile ones are the ones with joined date 07-08

You racist.
Quote from The Very End :That depends a lot on the user. I don't think that every user not getting an answer on their question will spam the topic every hours or so.
But again, answering the question doesn't take any more effort than flaming the user, so why flame when you can answer the question and end the topic?

It might be stupid, sure, but I'd really had hoped this could be a place where it's not "cool" to be an ****.

Why? Why should we bother? If they dont want to co-operate why should we?

I can say the same about them - Surely, using the Seach function doesn't take any more effort and time than creating a new thread....
If people don't botter, why even botter beeing an **** replying hostile and rude in a topic? Sorry.. but I really trying to understand that part, but I don't, I don't see the point that because the question is stupid, it's totally fine beeing an ****

Answering the question, no matter how stupid it is, will result in following :

1 : The user getting an answer
2 : It might not be the answer the user wants, but he got his answer
3 : The user won't bump, make more threads and such, because he got his answer
4 : Makes the forum looks better, ask - you get an answer on your question

If flaming occurs, we succeed in following :

1 : Showing that you need to be very sure before asking question
2 : Making errors is leathal, the forum is not forgiving
3 : The user might not even getting a answer on his question
4 : People randomly browsing the forum will see the forum as hostile, and might not activly invovle in it

Is this what we want? No, we do not want that. Sure, stupid questions is not funnny, but answering that takes no more energy that posting rude and offencive posts. I know I canot enforce people to behave, but if there is one thing I don't want to - is to have kids with newly reg'ed dates to make the forum itself looking like an ****.

Even if it's cool beeing an **** on the internet, place try using common normal social guidelines on the forum.
This thread is fail and you are gay!
Is the LFS forum the only forum that you frequent? It isn't just the LFS forum. I belong to an RC forum, 2 photography forums, and a few other very active and not so active. Every forum is this way. You join and everything is fresh and new. Then you get use to it, use to seeing the same folks, use to seeing the same answers to the same questions. Then you start to see those folks you use to know disappear and new folks joining. The same old same old now coming from the new folk gets old. After years of internet forums, it is just a cycle that happens, to all active forums.

You guys are sick of seeing the same improvement suggestions and the same questions. Don't you think that the photography forums are sick of seeing the "what is better, Nikon or Canon" questions? Don't you think that the RC flight forums are sick of seeing all the "which airplane should I get as a beginner" questions? They are. Those that are really sick of it leave. In their place are new members who eventually get sick of the same questions and stupidness.

A big difference with the "hobby" of gaming in comparison with other hobbies such as photography or RC is, there are far more kids and far more immaturity in gaming forums than in other hobby forums. When someone asks a stupid question in a photography forum, they just get ridiculed for a few posts. They don't get 3 pages of stupid immature "fail" pictures like that are here. It just shows the age and immaturity of the members, which we have a lot of immaturity here.

Back in the day that TVE is talking about, there wasn't much of a young crowd. It was mostly more mature true sim racers and unfortunately that has veered off on a tangent to include many young and immature gamers as the word of LFS got out.

The FM3 and the GT5 threads are perfect examples of the immaturity of this forum as a whole.
Quote from The Very End :If people don't bother, why even bother being an **** replying hostile and rude in a topic? Sorry.. but I really trying to understand that part, but I don't, I don't see the point that because the question is stupid, it's totally fine being an ****

<snip>

Is this what we want? No, we do not want that. Sure, stupid questions is not funny, but answering that takes no more energy that posting rude and offensive posts. I know I cannot enforce people to behave, but if there is one thing I don't want to - is to have kids with newly reg'ed dates to make the forum itself looking like an ****.

Even if it's cool being an **** on the internet, please try using common normal social guidelines on the forum.

you're beating a dead horse tve... it takes a firm team of moderators to keep users in check. it's been the status quo around here that 4chan-ish attitudes are acceptable, and that's why you get what you get here...

vic has taken great strides to prevent duplicate threads, but since the users don't seem to care, the job falls to the moderators to do something about it, and by the time that happens, the thread has been spammed to death... and since there are no lasting repercussions for those actions, it will happen over and over again.
...but answering that takes no more energy that posting rude and offencive posts....

I'm sorry TVE, but i'll say it again....

Quote :Surely, using the Seach function doesn't take any more effort and time than creating a new thread....

Why should we dance around their little flute song? Using the seach function is NOT hard. It was invented/created for a reason - To help reduce the duplicating threads, and keep the forum clean.

If we get 3 threads asking the same question in the same page, and every thread has the same answer, surely it will look stupid. Not only that, but it will show to other people/new people that we are just a bunch of retarded guys who talk the same thing over and over again.

No, I aint saying flaming is good. However, they are the ones who have to fit in.

Its like going to a new school - You have to fit in and behave normally. If you start acting like a real dick/****, and ignoring the "rules" and whatnot, than you are going to get your arse served....

Yes it would be nice to have a nice community. But guess what, the world isnt "perfect" and there are a lot of different people out there. There is no point trying to fix something that cannot be.
im with u TVE, It used to be a much nicer environment. But there is only so much you can do when you have an open policy on forum rules, It is something that i think might be worth bringing up again but without some radical changes its likely we could end up with much more of the same.

@ Bunder, Im normally around when you report the threads, Theres no issue with most of them as alot i find are spot on and need reporting.
But there are alot of mediocre issues that also get reported, So please do report, just dont worry so much about things such as
"skin request in completed skins" or
"wasn't this thread in the beginners category before?" or "bad title" etc just dont really need those to be reported. anything to do with Cracks or Abuse ets, do need reporting and we do appreciate those kind of reports.

I agree that the search function, it is there for a reason, so great, let them know the search function. perhaps "hint" at what key words would help the user find what he / she is looking for.

Its all well and good replying that the user should use search, but going back to TVE's point.. does it have to be done in such a hostile way...

why put: "Use The F@@KING SEARCH"

when you can just as easily put: "Have you tried searching for "Keyword".. That should give you plenty of options"
Quote from franky500 :@ Bunder, Im normally around when you report the threads, Theres no issue with most of them as alot i find are spot on and need reporting.
But there are alot of mediocre issues that also get reported, So please do report, just dont worry so much about things such as
"skin request in completed skins" or
"wasn't this thread in the beginners category before?" or "bad title" etc just dont really need those to be reported. anything to do with Cracks or Abuse ets, do need reporting and we do appreciate those kind of reports.

i'm just trying to make the forums a better place... if you guys choose to do nothing with my reports, that's your business.
In my honest opinion, that is wrong. Giving in is no sollution. Even if I have to tell you all you wrong, I will do. I might not know much, and drunk I am as, really drunk, but I won't let that stop me from memorizing back to the old days where you could ask any questions - and some minutes later you would get your reply with a smily.

Even old asked question would be answered with a smile "been asked many times before, please have a look in this topic : xxxxxx "

That's the attiute I want.. I think the game and forum is far more benefited if people behave somewhat like that.

Sure, we canot make everyone behave like this, people are different, and will behave differnet. But if we think twice before we post, we might solve a lot of the problems. Limiting the negative replies will help us in a lot of ways, and will make the community shine again.
Quote from bunder9999 :i'm just trying to make the forums a better place... if you guys choose to do nothing with my reports, that's your business.

No dis-respect intended, I like that you report the posts, But i can see where (whoever it was that has told you not to report so much) is coming from.

Even old asked question would be answered with a smile "been asked many times before, please have a look in this topic : xxxxxx "

That's the attiute I want.. I think the game and forum is far more benefited if people behave somewhat like that.

Sure, we canot make everyone behave like this, people are different, and will behave differnet. But if we think twice before we post, we might solve a lot of the problems. Limiting the negative replies will help us in a lot of ways, and will make the community shine again.

If people here are prepared to forgo the whole "moderator abuse" crap they like to come out and get half the forum jumping on the bandwagon with them whenever they get pulled up for doing something wrong, then i am more than willing to put powers to good use,

But from my perspective right now its a hell of a state and it will take more than dishing out warnings / infractions / bans / messages / requests to people to put it right.
I am all with you Franky. Problem, is as you say, that people will scream admin abuse and create xxxx topics about that instead..
Ahh.. this problem is giving me headache, there is no simple sollution for it.. On one side I want it to be more strict so newcomers would have an easier time getting known to the forum, on the other hand it would make a armageddon within the lines to the ones reciving penalties for beeing ****s.

IMO Victor, the other devs and the moderators should have standed behind the post about social guidelines. Sure, the internet has made ****s appear out of nowhere, and everyone with a keyboard can gain popularity by beeing as rude, offencive and hostile as possible. The problem is that it does not help LFS at any way.. and that's my point.. this forum is FOR LFS, not for flaming or any other silly reasons, it's purely for LFS and for that alone. If we scare away every newcomer with the recent attitute.. what will be left of LFS? I tell you what will be left - nothing. There will be the old "veterans" having a laugh between themself, but no fresh "meat will join in. And as time goes on, more and more veterans will quit, but due to the failing recruitment, it slowely will die.

We do not want this to happen, unite against **** acts and misbehaviour. Have a great time on the forum, have a laugh, and do try in most situations to help the other forum users. If you're just out to be an ass - why botter to registrer to the forum?

Thanks Rogers and Franky, for telling what I mean but lack of language manages to tell.
This should be a friendly forum, for other new people.

As soon as you do a "mistake" you will be flamed for the rest of your life. (I am talking about myself)
Alot of people try to be popular by saying bad stuff to another person, even though this is the internet and some people migth take it as a joke. But other people migth take it personal. What if TVE suicided cuz everyone called him drunk?
Quote from aroX123 :This should be a friendly forum, for other new people.

As soon as you do a "mistake" you will be flamed for the rest of your life. (I am talking about myself)
Alot of people try to be popular by saying bad stuff to another person, even though this is the internet and some people migth take it as a joke. But other people migth take it personal. What is TVE suicided cuz everyone call him drunk?

This to me is also shocking i mean i have tve on msn sure i sometimes make a drunk joke to him but he does the same to me for watching romance anime.

That is friendly like thow this forum is like a war zone sometimes i mean have you looked at those GT5 forza threads that's just disgusting
Sorry Arox, but had a laugh about that one For me I am safe, and can take some "punishment" without beeing bottered. But as you say, it can be a reminder, people are differnet. But again, it's impossible to know how a person is in real life and therfor we canot predict our actions based on the variours users.

But normal social guidelines would be nice. There are a lot of forums that tries to keep normal social guidelines. Even if it's seen on as strict in some cases, you usually ends up with a very openminded and welcomming forum for new users.

I miss the old LFSforum
(119 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG