The online racing simulator
Free Adobe Flash alternative?
(13 posts, started )
Does anyone know of any decent free animation software? I tried Pencil and spent hours making an animation with it, but it wouldn't export the file. I'm making a South Park style animation.

EDIT (27th Dec 2009): Solved, using Macromedia Flash Professional 8. I think we should keep the thread open for general discussion of computer animation .
i used powerpoint to make animations at school...
u can do that and use some screen recorder to make it an avi and add sound in movie maker
not the best quality but it works
There is pivot stick animator, which is hard to get used to but very easy interface, http://www.mediafire.com/?stzs9ztjjw1 theres a link
I'm doing South Park, Pivot won't help :P.
Just tried pencil, export it was a flash .swf, then open it into something like firefox.
#7 - TiJay
Is your issue with Flash the fact it's difficult or that it's expensive?

The second one is easy to solve, wink wink nudge nudge
My problem with Flash is that I can't afford it.
There are alternative ways to obtain it..

But if that's not your thing then i don't know what you could use... It's been ages since my animation days.
Brandon, 136 posts in 6 days? Anyways, I got Macromedia Flash Professional 8 (a bug in the old trial ). Can I use it as a frame by frame animator like I did Pencil?

EDIT: Question solved, yes.
Yep you can animate frame by frame or using tweens or (most likely) both.

A few tips for animating in Flash that may not be obvious if you haven't used it before; if you want to animate loops (such as a blinking light in a background or a walk cycle) then you can contain them inside their own timeline using a Graphic or a MovieClip.

Graphic objects run along their timeline in conjunction with their parent timeline, so they stop when it stops. This is good for situations like walking across a scene because you only have to animate the walk cycle once.

MovieClip timelines are independent and will continue on their merry way regardless of what's happening on the main timeline. These are particularly good for background items that need to loop infinitely such as lightning flashes, clouds.

However, if you haven't used Flash for animation before then one thing to be aware of is that if you do use nested timelines (e.g. animated movieclips inside others), it's very difficult to export as video. The only option is as a MOV and if there's a lot going on in your scene or if it's high resolution then you need some serious hardware to do it.

So if your final output is intended as video I'd recommend doing some tests with your output. It's not very nice to find out you can't export after you've done all the work

(13 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG