The online racing simulator
Well as you know clown i got nKP on your word of saying its great but 20 min later i asked for a refund. If you like games that feel like they are on rails then nKP is for you. nKP did not feel real to me at all infact i would go to say that Project Gothem 3 has better pysics lol. But thats just me and what i think on the game and i can asure you unless there is a patch brough out that improves the pysics i wont be going near it again.
Quote from filur :but nK isn't running, it's just the frontend, the launcher.

Thats exactly right. If you try and leave the actual nkpro game, called nkp.exe if i recall correctly, running in the background all day you will probably find you cant actually get back into it once you've alt+tabbed out. LFS takes me two seconds to alt+tab out and in again.
This is the 'people trying to convince themselves it is good' stage:

"I think I like it"
"No, I know I like it... I payed good money for this - I must like it damnit"
"Its better than LFS because everyone else said it would be. Screw what it feels like"
"This different to LFS therefore it must be more realistic... because... because... just because the advertising people said it would be very realistic"

And on it goes.
Quote from axus :This is the 'people trying to convince themselves it is good' stage:

"I think I like it"
"Its better than LFS because everyone else said it would be. Screw what it feels like"
"This different to LFS therefore it must be more realistic... because... because... just because the advertising people said it would be very realistic"

And on it goes.

I agree
At the moment nk pro is giving me too much problems. (the steering lag and now low fps) But I still find myself double clicking the "start nkpro" shortcut on my desk. The major difference between LFS and nk pro was that it took so damn long to terms with it. Coming from gpl, lfs was a very very slippery sim with strange cars atm.. Nk pro just feels more right from the beginning but still gives me sometimes the wtf what I usually experience in isi "sims". But I get that in LFS as well.

The problems with the gui are gone. Changing the resolution is all I have to do anymore. The controller setup feels bad but after all I find it almost as hard as the LFS' thing. Select this, invert that, assign something and press a button. The server windows should defenately be inside the 3d part of the game in nk pro. It is just too slow now.

And know I know it: it is possible to have a track in a sim that doesn't include a chicane. Awesome!

Driving the F1800 on worn tires is quite pleasent experience. Without the steering lag it would be maybe even more fun that LFS atm.

One thing is quite sure. I won't be playing much LFS in the next few days

EDIT: yes, the bigger formulas are like driving on rails. Way too easy. But the F1600 and 1800... :tongueout:
Quote from axus :This is the 'people trying to convince themselves it is good' stage:

"I think I like it"

And on it goes.

Yes, that's what some of those comments look like. That had me smile sometimes too.

Vain
The bigger cars are like driving on rails compared to LFS because LFS seems to somehow have bizarely behaving single seaters, maybe Tristan is the best person here to ask for a true comparison, my Dad is pretty much usless to ask because for some reason he hates LFS and the FOX in particular. Bizarely his mate (whose been racing low power single seaters with wings + slicks for 20 years) actually loved the LX6 at Aston National, particuarly commenting on the gorgous engine note then completely lost all intrest when he tried the FOX.

I also hated LFS at first (hopped in the FOX at FE Green for my first licensed spin) then found the MRT which offered me the initial stability to get into how the LFS physics work. Like with the Papy sims I had no issue getting into nK Pro when actually in car with the engine started it felt like driving a real car minus the brake pedal feel.
Clownpaint is making a lot of sense. People were moaning and complaing about how it handles within 30mins of having it. Which is just rediculous. I would love to see the lap times thoughs guys were doing. The default set ups have a tendancy to keep the car very safe and easy to drive, but not very fast at all.

Imagine if you got the opportunity to drive an F1 car. Most people could probably drive it (especially modern F1 with TC, and all the down force and aero grip etc), but i bet they would be no where near the pace of the pros, even with half hour practice :rolleyes: I dont want to compare nKp to LFS, because i think LFS is great, but if you got someone who had never played the game before, gave 'em the FO8 and an "easy" set up, even if they were driving really slow i'd still bet they end up spinning because of the lack of grip (which is being fixed i know ... bla bla bla)

Most people seem to have given up on nKp too early, considering it is a game that seemingly gets better the more you play it, understand it, and push the car to the limit. If i was to drive around in LFS going slow i would probably get bored and not like it ... just give it a chance.

Anyone here who bought the game, but doesnt like it ... post some lap times or even better ... replays, would be interesting to see if you've even attempted to get used to the game.
Quote from ajp71 :Can we stop getting bothered about version numbers what comes after 0.99?

netKar 0.99 namie
netkar PRO 1.0

You don't seem to understand the difference. It's a different game - obviously it doesn't totally feel like a new game. I already mentioned about this but you seemed to ignore my reply.

Quote from ajp71 :LFS if you download a set or replay you have can't leave it running unless you alt + tab out to browse the web you can leave nK running in the background all day and you would also be able to leave multiple sims open without them taking resources.

Alt-tab doesn't even work in nK Pro (if you go back to it you get black screen). And LFS even has a shortcut key (Shift+F4) which puts it immediately to Windowed mode and back. I don't know many other games where I can change any possible option on the start line straight while driving.

You are right about the arcadey look in the LFS menus but that can be changed easily (if the devs just could care about this which I think has a huge effect on the first impression, an arcadey looking menu doesn't really raise that). I'm using custom button colours and custom backgrounds and it really is huge difference when compared to the defaults which looks so unprofessional.
Quote from deggis :
Alt-tab doesn't even work in nK Pro (if you go back to it you get black screen). And LFS even has a shortcut key (Shift+F4) which puts it immediately to Windowed mode and back. I don't know many other games where I can change any possible option on the start line straight while driving.

I didn't know about the shift+F4 shortcut in LFS which makes what I was saying irrelevant in other sims though (like Papy and ISI ones) you have to alt + tab out to add sets + replays + browse the web the obvious advantage of a windows UI is I have had nK open all day and can still read the forums etc. which makes it seem like I can get on track in a certain car in nK much quicker than LFS.
Well, it is always the same thing when new sims or mods are released. Some will say it sucks some will love and some will say whatever they can come up with.

Hyperactive's 3 thesises (spelling, read on, n00b ):

- Listening to other people's opinions is not the best way to make your own opinion.

- Some people always present their views as the truth. Only opinion you should care for is your own.

- Be open to new ideas and ways of doing things. You won't be playing LFS in year 2030. Except tristan and kidcodea
I tested how quickly I could get on track with the nK UI already open compared to loading LFS.

nK 35.5 seconds
LFS 29.5 seconds

Actually LFS got onto the track faster even with the time loading the splash screens but felt slower than nK I don't quite know why maybe it's waiting for splash screens that makes it seem longer. Also nK seems to have very long load times when compared to N2003, still much quicker than the ISI games any reason for this?
Quote from Hyperactive :Except tristan and kidcodea

Who both gave us excelent reviews Tristan's for length (2000 words) and Mussolini's for a good laugh at how pathetic some people are when it comes to dissing sims.
Quote from ajp71 :Who both gave us excelent reviews Tristan's for length (2000 words) and Mussolini's for a good laugh at how pathetic some people are when it comes to dissing sims.

ROFL, mussolini. All I can do now is start seeking a place to hide since kid is not one of those who forget these things easily lol
Quote from KiDCoDEa :cant u see hurting people in their communicational rights is way bigger agression than anything they can say within the rules, here. especially talking about a legal exploit for the theme/thread in question posted at the appropriate place.

here censorship comes from the void, in random spasms.

what the hell do the put in the water down there in portugal ?

and youve got to be the most immature 31 year old ive ever met

well its the most complete review of somebody who somehow likes nkp and somebody with an educated non fanboyish opinion so ill just respond to yours traist

Quote from tristancliffe :First Thoughts
What a horrid way of designing a modern sim, with a separate VB interface.

actually i kinda like the interface ... its clean its simple it gets the job done
but there are a lot of things wrong with it ... and im not talking non working buttons/sliders here the bad points are

a) slow as hell ... fells like im actually navigating the menu on sombody elses pc via vnc while being on a 14k line (maybe a bit harsh but how can a normal windows style menu possibly be that slow ?)
b) setup menus ... click click click click ... whats so bad about sliders and typing in values ?
c) this is one of the many comments on nk being designed to pointlessly keep you off track as long as possible
who came up with the idea of completly separating the menus and the 3d engine ? cant stand looking at a loading screen all the time (same goes for rf btw) especially when one of the competitors has a well working system that lowers loading times to almost 0

Quote :The multiplayer lobby is a joke really, even with the much improved patch. You can't filter anything, not even full/private/empty etc, and you can't tell if a server is passworded til you've spent a minute loading the sim program. Neither can you join a server unless it's in a very specific join period which is just annoying a stupid. I can understand not allowing people to just drive on track, but to not allow them to join (but allow them to try) is just stuuuuupid

cant comment on the mp but from what you say about it it sounds like one more way to keep you off track
joining a server at any time with a no mid race join option works a lot better

Quote :Graphics
Some seriously nice touches in there in my opinion. The tracks are nicely lit, and the textures are generally top notch. But at no point have I been convinced that the cars are on the track - they ALWAYS look like the cars have been photoshopped into the scene, perhaps because the cars are subjected to different lighting, or the car shadows not working with the track appearence. Nice touches I've noticed are the smoke, the reflective pit wall windows, and the pit garage, which looks a bit 'lived in'. The car models themselves seem excellent, especially the cockpits.

almost completely agree escept that everything is way to shiny on my machine and that the pits are generally too boxy two more polys here and there really wouldnt hurt

Quote :Sound

agreed

Quote :Driving
I didn't have problems starting the car, although the hidden button on the FTarget did confuse me for a minute or two.

to me having to start the car is the problem in the first place ... it just pointless ... yes you have to start the engine in real life but at the end of the day all it does is keep you from driving

Quote :Gear changing is silly.

jup

Quote :But occasionally, braking in exactly the same way as before, the back will swing out 90 degrees (almost without exception it's 90 degrees), which isn't right I don't think.

thats really the show stopper for me physics wise ... as soon as you loose the rear the car instantly turns to full 90° and stays there
but it gets worse ... if you stay on the throttle and steer straight ahead (dont countersteer ill get to that later) your car will either hold the slide or the slide will somehow magically correct itself with the car suddenly snapping back into grip
but even worse is what happens when oyu countersteer ... so your going perpendicular to the track and the natural reaction would be to countersteer ... bad move your car will instantly grip again swing around voilently and youll find yourself still perpendicular to the track but facing the opposite direction this time

Quote :Damage

100% agreed

Quote :Clutch and Engine
Deserves a whole section to itself. I love stalling. It feels so good to not use quite enough revs, or to not dip the clutch/keep the revs up after a spin and stall.

while stalling is generally a good idea ... and especially (not) stalling the engine on the starting grid is a big factor in racing that currently completely missing in lfs imho if lfs was ever to simulate starts more realistically scawen really shouldnt forget to make it an option
its great in a serious league race if you stall the engine on the grid youve pretty much lost the race ... but as far a everyday public server racing goes a full grid start is bad enough the way it is atm ... and at least atm i can be sure that the car inf ront of me not getting off the line at all is probably just lag
havent seen a nkp start yet but i assume theres evern more crashing even before t1 than in lfs

Quote :Force Feedback
But I can't feel understeer (maybe I'm setting it up wrong as some people say they can). I can just about feel oversteer.

weird ... exact opposite for me ... i can feel the understeer ... matter of fact i feel it too much ... when im understeering the wheel goes completely light ... there really no forces ... i can take my hand off the wheel it just stays there
but on the other hand i cant feel oversteering at all the wheel doenst correct any slide for me

Quote :Misc
Can't send setups online? WTF. Even rFactor added this, and rFactors worse! I can understand skins not being auto-downloaded (we are, of course, spoilt in LFS), but not setups? Now I have to give my email address out, leave the sim, copy it into the right place, load it, and try to reconnect. Hardly streamlined.

what i said about the game keeping you off track ... but it gets worse ... dunno if its just my pc but i cant alt tab out of the game ... well actually i can but the game wont recover ... all i get is a black screen and i end up having to terminate the process myself ... so not only do you have to use mail or something else to send setups you have to stare at a loading screen to get back into the game ... and with what youve said about joining a server earlier .......

Quote :Doom mode - I'm sure Stefano said it would be ASDW controls like a modern FPS. But no, we get arrows (just up and down), a crouch key, and the ability to walk through walls. Nice idea, but as it is it's useless. I can't tell the difference between 1 and 1.5 degree of camber on my competitors cars, so why bother. If we could see other drivers, and actually do something useful (or see something useful like times, or damage notes, or SOMETHING) then it might be a nice feature. Until then I'll stick with Teamspeak (though I would like a voIP client built in).

jup pretty useless as it is ... if you could at least see the other drivers and punch that guy who took you out in t1 id see the point of implementing its but as it is its just worthless ... and since your moving so incredibly slow it doesnt even work well as a way of walking through corners to learn the track

Quote :But nK is by no means awful. It's EASILY the 2nd best simulator on the market today

mostly by lack of noteworthy competition imho
Quote from ajp71 :I tested how quickly I could get on track with the nK UI already open compared to loading LFS.

nK 35.5 seconds
LFS 29.5 seconds

Actually LFS got onto the track faster even with the time loading the splash screens but felt slower than nK I don't quite know why maybe it's waiting for splash screens that makes it seem longer. Also nK seems to have very long load times when compared to N2003, still much quicker than the ISI games any reason for this?

It's just a very bad idea to separate such central parts of the program and need to actually reload and re-initialize the entire thing each time you want to change layout or watch several similar replays.

I wonder what the time difference would be if you ..

Launch and get on track with a car,
Switch layouts and get on track on all available layouts of chosen track with chosen car,
Switch car and get back on track,
Leave track and view a replay of that track/car.

Quote from ajp71 :I tested how quickly I could get on track with the nK UI already open compared to loading LFS.

nK 35.5 seconds
LFS 29.5 seconds

I can get on track with LFS within 11.6 seconds of double clicking the LFS.exe icon. What does this prove though?
The whole comparison of the GUIs is little silly. Both work in the end. And the time you spend in the menu screens is like 3% of total time spend on sim so...
Who cares about ALT+TAB? I push the Windows Key >Taskbar appears > and I can do whatever I like: launch the programs I have in the Quick Launch or I use "Show Desktop" button. If I close a folder (or whatever) that I just opened in my desktop - nKPro just pops out again, but I can push the Windows button again!
I still reckon a Windows UI could be very effective and I suppose really there's no reason why you couldn't create one that loads into the memory like LFS.
Quote from VALE 46 :

Anyone here who bought the game, but doesnt like it ... post some lap times or even better ... replays, would be interesting to see if you've even attempted to get used to the game.

I bought it, and I don't really like it. There are parts I like. The basic feel of the cars, a few of the little details. What I don't like is the production quality, parts of the FF, the awful online system and pants netcode, and the obviously stupidly small amount of testing which has gone into it.

1:00.33 in the FF1600 at Newbury2k6, 52.10 with the FTarget and default setup. I'm giving it a chance, but it's really hard to like the thing.
Quote from sinbad :I can get on track with LFS within 11.6 seconds of double clicking the LFS.exe icon. What does this prove though?

Darn, 14 seconds
nK: 24 seconds

The new form of e-penis is found. Favourite-sim loading time.
Quote from JJ72 :btw anyone's wheel is jerking left/right quite heavily on straights.

nk does have the same problem with ffb working as a nice oszillator on a straight ... but form what i figure its a technology flaw and you cant really do much about it softwarewise

Quote from ajp71 :I didn't know about the shift+F4 shortcut in LFS which makes what I was saying irrelevant in other sims though (like Papy and ISI ones) you have to alt + tab out to add sets + replays + browse the web the obvious advantage of a windows UI is I have had nK open all day and can still read the forums etc. which makes it seem like I can get on track in a certain car in nK much quicker than LFS.

no you cant ... that just pure nonsense ... it isnt ntekat that running its just the frontend
the actual netcar is what you get AFTER the loading screen ... and you cant keep that one running all day long because you cant alt tab back into it ... unlike lfs which can run in the backgorund all day long with a track loaded and all you need to do after tabbing back into lfs is click one single button bottom left and your instantly in the game without having to look at a loading screen for several seconds
Quote from Shotglass :*long-ass post*

Sorry, I didn't care to read your reply. If you don't care to use big letters and good grammar (I'm not saying my English is perfect but at least I try to write so that everyone understands it) I can't find a reason to read a reply that looks like total nonsense.

[/offtopic]

LFS Community gives nKPro a go?
(777 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG