The online racing simulator
The definition of irony.
(125 posts, started )
The definition of irony.
Anyone who doesn't know what the word means, now has a definitive answer.

Obama wins nobel peace prize

Just when you think the world can't get any madder, this comes along to reaffirm that it can
#2 - 5haz
I can't think of any prominent politician who deserves a peace prize right now.

All Obama has done is a bit of do gooding, nothing else has changed.
Congratulations to Obama...
Hi,

Congratulations to Obama

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/8298580.stm

I guess a lot of you people don't care, but I think it's good decision by the Nobel peace comity. He has really shifted the way people think when it comes to how we handle the world. I think especially the decision to stop the rocket shield program(and reaching out to Russia) and the declaration in UN to remove nuclear weapons is important. Maybe a bit naive, but it's still important to have goals like that. I am happy(as a :monkey US is not following the the Bush-doctrine anymore.

Happy racing,(and squabbling between races)

~b
Your topic title is runner up
What 'do-gooding'? All he's doing is bankrupting our country. He's a one term wonder.

But it is strange as hell, the leader of 2 wars is getting a Peace Prize.
-
(JO53PHS) DELETED by Bob Smith : no longer relevant (threads merged)
#6 - 5haz
Quote from robubba :What 'do-gooding'? All he's doing is bankrupting our country. He's a one term wonder.

Do gooding as in he keeps going on trips and saying nice things the various leaders of Islamic nations, but the un-winable wars still keep going on, and our government still makes sure we are a tool of US foreign policy against the will of the people.

Although perhaps the American people have themselves to blame, when he does try to help, there is uproar.
I agree, the peace prize should be going out to someone who has already done huge things to bring peace to the people, not someone who says he'll do something.
On the other hand I can't understand why Obama does not get the backup he needs to change the things that have been wrong for dozens of years!
Who declared war to anything and anyone in the past? It's beenNixon, Reagan, the Bushes, the right wing guys, At least since I'm on this twisted world. Everytime an American President dares to return the troops home, to do something against massive pollution or anything else, he gets shot, intrigued or screamed at.
As a European I'm glad we don't have to start another cold war by putting up unneccessary rocket launchers in eastern Europe.

I'd say next time give the nobel prize to someone who really deserves it, and help Obama to get the things done properly!

greetz

der butz

PS: Pink Press is made by Nazis!
#8 - Byku
You should create a poll so people could vote if they agree about this whole decision.

Edit. I personally disagree, he's done too much talking, not much doing.
#9 - 5haz
I think they essentially just give the prize to whoever grabs the most good headlines.
Quote from robubba :What 'do-gooding'? All he's doing is bankrupting our country. He's a one term wonder.

The US was already bankrupt when he became president. I wonder why. Maybe the billions and trillions of dollars spent on unnecessary wars that can't be won, started by Bush, have something to do with that.

Quote from robubba :

Those wars were started by Bush years ago so again, not exactly his fault, is it? If it were up to Obama I'm sure he'd have the US troops pull out. It's ignorant rednecks that ****ed the US up with the help of Bush, and it's the same ignorant rednecks who are now blaming everything that's wrong with the US on Obama. It's just sad.
Quote from " :I agree, the peace prize should be going out to someone who has already done huge things to bring peace to the people, not someone who says he'll do something.

Yep. As much as I agree with Obama's intentions and all, I don't think this was a very wise decision. Also TBH I'm not sure Obama appreciates it too much either. It could tie his hands regarding Afghanistan, for example...

The Nobel committee has chosen some pretty surprising laureates the past few years. And to be honest I don't quite understand why this prize gets so much attention. There's just five people on the committee, all appointed by the Norwegian parliament. I don't see why these five people are qualified..
Gore got one ffs! lol
Quote from Gnomie :Yep. As much as I agree with Obama's intentions and all, I don't think this was a very wise decision. Also TBH I'm not sure Obama appreciates it too much either. It could tie his hands regarding Afghanistan, for example...

The Nobel committee has chosen some pretty surprising laureates the past few years. And to be honest I don't quite understand why this prize gets so much attention. There's just five people on the committee, all appointed by the Norwegian parliament. I don't see why these five people are qualified..

norwegian? :s

i thought alfred nobel was swedish..
He was, but he didn't trust the silly Swedes to take care of such an important matter, so he delegated it to the Norwegians.

True story.
I think it's a pretty silly decision myself, and I'm generally a supporter of Obama and his policies.
#16 - th84

You can thank good ole "W" for both of the things you pointed out.

The two wars.... Bush.

Bankrupting our country...... Bush.

As for the one term wonder comment.... if Sarah Palin is the best that the GOP has to offer, you will see Mr. Obama around for 7 more years. After all, Obama winning is due to the fact that she was on the GOP ticket in 08.
the nobel peace prize has a history of being awarded to people who are attempting to bring more peace to the world and is often awarded as an encouragement to achieve things that have been started rather than a reward for having completed something.

in obahma's case its for his decission to not deploy the antimissile system in eastern europe and commence talks with the all nations on nuclear weapon reductions plus his statements about wanting to talk to musslim states.

the BBc in its usual even handed manner at lunch time stated that many americans would be confused by the awarding of this on the same day that "NASA declared war on the moon "
Quote from th84 :You can thank good ole "W" for both of the things you pointed out.

The two wars.... Bush.

Bankrupting our country...... Bush.

As for the one term wonder comment.... if Sarah Palin is the best that the GOP has to offer, you will see Mr. Obama around for 7 more years. After all, Obama winning is due to the fact that she was on the GOP ticket in 08.

well let's hope the big government spending and vast amounts of money printing doesn't lead your country into the next great depression.
Quote from danowat :Anyone who doesn't know what the word means, now has a definitive answer.

Obama wins nobel peace prize

Just when you think the world can't get any madder, this comes along to reaffirm that it can

Is it the 1st of April???

Apart from making US foreign policy slightly less arrogant and closer to what most other countries in the world would consider normal and civilised what exactly has he done to deserve a Nobel Prize?

Sorry, but this just has to be a joke. Right??
Quote from gezmoor :Is it the 1st of April???

Apart from making US foreign policy slightly less arrogant and closer to what most other countries in the world would consider normal and civilised what exactly has he done to deserve a Nobel Prize?

Sorry, but this just has to be a joke. Right??

Well, he HAS done all of what you stated here, and for that alone he gets a big thumbs up from me personnally. And looking back in history I have to admit tinvek is absolutely right.
Obama started something, now he gets the price and he MUST continue making America a better behaving country.
BTW: I've often criticized more than half of the americans for voting bush into his second period, I have not yet congratulated them for getting the right one in place. Congratulations ladies :-)

greetz

der butz
#22 - 5haz
I would certainly give him the prize if he put an end to the Middle Eastern wars, but not before them, I think its an opportunity he should take, how good would it be to be remembered as the president that caused peace to break out?
#23 - wien
Quote from Intrepid :well let's hope the big government spending and vast amounts of money printing doesn't lead your country into the next great depression.

You are of course aware of how his country got out of the great depression?
loltastic:

Quote :"The Republican Party has thrown in its lot with the terrorists -- the Taliban and Hamas this morning -- in criticizing the President for receiving the Nobel Peace prize," DNC communications director Brad Woodhouse told POLITICO. "Republicans cheered when America failed to land the Olympics and now they are criticizing the President of the United States for receiving the Nobel Peace prize -- an award he did not seek but that is nonetheless an honor in which every American can take great pride -- unless of course you are the Republican Party.

"The 2009 version of the Republican Party has no boundaries, has no shame and has proved that they will put politics above patriotism at every turn. It's no wonder only 20 percent of Americans admit to being Republicans anymore -- it's an embarrassing label to claim," Woodhouse said.

Will the sniping from both sides never end?
Politicians, bankrupt, 'do-gooding'... Zeitgeist!

The definition of irony.
(125 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG