The online racing simulator
goRCX.Net Opensource Game Development Project
RollcageX is a fan community based opensource game development project aimed ate recreating the arcade classics "Rollcage" and "Rollcage Stage 2"

Quote :RollcageX, or RCX is a community driven opensource development project that aims to continue the "Rollcage" and "Rollcage Stage 2" game universe. RollcageX is described as a more realistic representation of the Rollcage game, featuring more realistically designed cars and realistic physics. The game intends to incorporate all the game modes from Rollcage and Rollcage 2, with some added modes and tracks, such as Sandbox environments, stunt tracks, GP style tracks.

I am the lead 3D Modeler for this project, with Mat(Soul Slinger) as the lead developer, and additional development by Spontificus and and Mac.

The project was founded by Jon last year.

We are seeking fans of the great classic with any C/C++, and 3D modelling experience to assist us in our future releases. Our next release of the engine will sport improved physics, multithreading, new cars and objects and some additional bugfixes.

Overall we could use:
More coders
Level/Track designers/Concept Artists
Additional 3D artists for level/track modelling
Someone who thinks they can write good music.
Artists/Logo Designers/Interface Designers
UVW Unwrappers/Texture Artists

Currrent Build of the game engine (0.05 R4 4WD Build) can be requested in the forum.

RollcageX www.goRCX.net/forum
Attached images
Rollcage_X_Car_5___2_by_CodieMorgan.jpg
Any music maker needed?

Seems like a nice project, good luck guys.
I'm reading through your physics thread about suspension. I take it you're not trying to take a simulation approach to vehicle dynamics?
The original was an arcade job, so I'm assuming any recreation wouldn't be adhering to real physics all that closely

What sort of soundtrack is it you're looking for? I'm pretty diverse, and this could be good motivation to finally set myself up to record at home.
-
(brandons48) DELETED by brandons48
Quote :What sort of soundtrack is it you're looking for? I'm pretty diverse, and this could be good motivation to finally set myself up to record at home.

We can work with pretty any genre. The original 2 games by Psygosis featured Fatboy Slim. But more imnportantly will need sound effects first.

We dont have a sound engine, but music will be needed sooner or later.

@Bob Smith. We are using a realistic physics engine, "Open Dynamics Engine". We have had issues getting the suspension to function correctly, for large cars that will eventually do 400MPH, but the rear tyres of had a bug were they sometimes spinn off axis at high rotation speeds.

Soul SLinger told me yesterday though that this was due to the single threaded game engine and that is wasnt able to compensate for it fast enough. He is almost done with inplementation of multithreading, and this solves alot of issue.

We do want realistic suspension eventually.
ODE is decent, we used it a few years ago for some PS2 games, although that was before I started work here. Are you using multi-body vehicles for the suspension?
Quote from Bob Smith :ODE is decent, we used it a few years ago for some PS2 games, although that was before I started work here. Are you using multi-body vehicles for the suspension?

THere are invisible bodies for the car, and wheels, for both mass and collision detection. Suspension also has invisible bodies ( I think. Would have to check with Slinger).

Dynamic suspension is invisible (so the visually visible car body has no moving parts.... for now).
Rollcage remade? Best idea ever...

Test of new tyres.
Game engine screenshot of a test build. gained some multithreading, though needs some fixes here an there.
Nice that you have modelled the tyre surface in 3D, will we get to see it all moving and flexing?
I remember these games, especially after you mentioned the Fatboy Slim soundtrack.

This should be awesome
We want proper tyre models, so those knobbles flex and squash when the wheel turns
Quote from Crashgate3 :We want proper tyre models, so those knobbles flex and squash when the wheel turns

That is possible in the future. The physics do accound for tyre compression and such, not the 3D parts yet. Other parts of the program are more important at this point, such as at least getting texture support in (PNG) ...

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG