The online racing simulator
FIA Formula 2
(139 posts, started )
You can't really see the contact with the wheel and his helmet, but clearly there was contact... RIP. I remember seeing him in British F3 or such and he was a good racer.
R.I.P from South African Community. Terribly Tragic news... Thoughts and prayers for his friends and family
-
(Wilko868) DELETED by Wilko868 : Sorry
Very unfortunate Always sad to see someone so young pass away
-
(J@tko) DELETED by J@tko : Chris failed.
-
(Wilko868) DELETED by Wilko868
R.I.P, very sad news, I met John Surtees at Goodwood a few years back, top bloke, to out live his own son must be so awful for him. I enjoyed watching Henry racing in the Ginettas, he seemed very talented and he probably would have had a very successful career in motorsport.
Quote from TexasLTU :I think Williams is in trouble again. Killed Senna, now Surtees...

No... Williams is really not to blame with this kind of accidents. There is a certain type of robes that are holding tyres in the front suspension as far as I know, I don't know about the rear suspension. But those robes can also only last a certain amount of force. Anyways... if you watched Formula racing lately there were always incidents in wich those robes were torn apart, and where Tyres were sent flying. It's very unlucky... especially all these constallations:

Last year Craig Jones, this year Henry Surtees. Both in incidents which are hardly to avoid, and wich have nothing to do with Brands Hatch as track. Additionaly it was the inaugural season of the "new" FIA Formula 2, which is FIA's answer to Ecclestone's GP2/GP3. And F2 really brough exciting sport.
RIP

There does not need to be a witch hunt, and if there is it'll be as a result of Nanny State Britain, (actually, I'm surprised that the Gov't hasn't already outlawed motor sports here as being 'too dangerous', going by their record of banning everything remotely dangerous). I have a hunch they'll try to find a way to fine Brands Hatch, but it's not needed, it was a freak accident, and nobody is to blame in my view.

EDIT: 5haz just nailed it perfectly, he summed up what I was saying, and agreeing with.
Man....

Yesterday he was on the podium all happy. No one expected something wrong to happen. But......
The crash actually reminded me of the Marcos Campos crash. The Campos crash was more dramatic but the injuries were similar
God, that's terrible. And just when you think those cars are safe enough to protect you... you're never safe..
R.I.P. Henry
RIP Henry Surtees. May he rest in peace.
Tragic accident which re-enforces the dangers of motor-racing and that what ever is done to make it safer, there is still the risk of serious injury or death.

For all those fearing for Brand Hatch and the team and what not, I doubt very much anything will happen to them, this is after all a sport with inherent risks, sure there will be an investigation, and recommendations will be made....most likely wheel tethers attached/improved but failing that when your time is up, your time is up and there's sod all you can do about it.
RIP Too soon, too young, wrong time & wrong place.
Quote from Mackie The Staggie :Tragic accident which re-enforces the dangers of motor-racing and that what ever is done to make it safer, there is still the risk of serious injury or death.

As Greg Moore once said: "you'll never be able to make race cars completely safe. Things happen at speed."
RIP a freak accident that everyone knows is posible but hopes would never happen, accidents like this a danger associated with single seaters unfortunatly. such a promising talent gone, a sad day for motorsport indeed
I can't see how those tires went flying... I mean, there are harder crashes in F1 and the tires stay at their places... Why can't this cars be like that?
I rarely feel bad when I listen/read news about someone who died but this is kinda different... It was very bad luck and he was so young, makes me think that anything can happen to us without even a single warning... Very sad.
Imagine how Clarke must feel now. A fellow Briton, ofcourse not his fault, but he probably feels like shit now....... It was a tyre from his car overall......
RIP Henry Surtees
Quote from Blas89 :I can't see how those tires went flying... I mean, there are harder crashes in F1 and the tires stay at their places... Why can't this cars be like that? .

Seafty standards are very different between F1 and the "slower" series, including F2.
#95 - 5haz
Quote from DevilDare :Imagine how Clarke must feel now. A fellow Briton, ofcourse not his fault, but he probably feels like shit now....... It was a tyre from his car overall......

The whole field probrably feels dreadful, when theres a horrible accident like that it hits everyone, especially when you arrive at the scene as it happens or seconds later, puts a dampener on what would be a celebration after a race.

EDIT: Speaking of witch hunts, what will the consequences be for Mosely, who essentialy initiated this series?
R.I.P

A very sad day for Motorsport
R.I.P. Henry Surtees. Was watching the race live earlier this afternoon and was hoping I hadn't witnessed my first racing fatality.

The F2 car is built to the 2005 F1 safety regulations, there have been plenty of F1 crashes where the wheels have detached from the car. As Tristan pointed out earlier there is only so much in a high speed accident such as this one.
R.I.P Henry, you will be missed
R.I.P Henry, very unlucky
OMG this is terrible... really... what the hell.

R.I.P. Henry

FIA Formula 2
(139 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG