The online racing simulator
FIA Formula 2
(139 posts, started )
FIA Formula 2
WOW! in the Brands Hatch race, someone crashed on the fast grand prix section the wheel bounced into the track and smashed Henry Surtees in the face of the helmet. He was obviously knocked unconcious as a result because his car went straight on into the barriers his head was all limp and the car then came to a halt but the accelerator was stuck open because his car was doing doughnuts on the grass.
#2 - wild
Wow that sounds frighting I'll have to have a look at it, I think I've got it recorded on Sky+.

Do you have any news if he's going to be okay?
Holy balls.
no news as of yet
That looked Scary. Let's hope he's ok.
Surtees

Was watching the race. Terrible incident, and the race itself was pure hell. 3 Red Flags, 3 SC absolute mayhem.

Surtees looked critically sadly, no head movement in the cockpit. Knocked out when the tyre hit him as he went into the barriers full speed, no signs of braking. Very nasty stuff

Hopefully he is alright
He was most certainly out cold as soon as he hit the tire. The Impact into the barriers wasen't _that_ hard but imagine the force of hitting a tire with 100+ kph.
Surtees incident was very scary indeed.

Lithuanian Vasiliauskas showing nice stable pace, no big jumps through the grid, like others. I put hopes on him.
Quote from TexasLTU :Surtees incident was very scary indeed.

Lithuanian Vasiliauskas showing nice stable pace, no big jumps through the grid, like others. I put hopes on him.

Really?

Yes hes fast, but today he was a jackass to be honest.... Lap 2, he thought he could get from 15th to 12th in one corner..... Too optimistic.....
100+ mph i would say he hit that tyre at becaue the corner before that is normally a pretty quick corner so i would imagine he hit that tyre at over 100mph
Any updates on Surtees condition?
None as of yet....
The more I watch it, more scary it looks...

Man, really hope he is ok. Do not want another Young talent slip away
im finding it worrying that its been this long and still no news because normally with a big accident you will be told they're ok like 10 or 20 minutes after the accident but there's been nothing yet
If thats the case, they are probably fighting for him in the hospital.
btw, why dont they have these protection cable (dunno how its called) like in formula 1?
Quote from John5200 :btw, why dont they have these protection cable (dunno how its called) like in formula 1?

I believe the only have tethers on the front wheels?

I might be wrong.
Only information coming back via autosport.com is that he has been injured.

Still nothing on his condition.
Wheel tethers are far from infallible. The forces involved are huge, so whilst they reduce the energy of flying wheels, or even contain it entirely, wheels still break loose now and again.

F1 certainly has tethers on all wheels (possibly two on each corner), and I suspect F2 will have the same requirements.
#22 - 5haz
Not very nice too see things like that, but it's almost unavoidable, hopefully hes alright.
Really bad crash, I saw it live too and was shocked Seriously how unlucky can you be to get hit by a rolling tyre in the head?!
No news about his condition.
This statement has just been issued on behalf of F2:

"...He was removed from the car, stabilised and taken to the medical centre where the medical team prepared him for transfer to the Royal London hospital, the regional trauma centre, by helicopter, where he is now being treated.

Formula Two Chief Executive, Jonathan Palmer, said "I would like to express my great sadness that Henry has been injured today. An accident like this would obviously raise high levels of concern and we await further news on Henry's condition from the hospital. This is clearly a very worrying time for John and Jane Surtees. Our thoughts are with them and we will be providing all the support we can."

Doesn't sound too good if I am being brutaly honest!
I was thinking that, it doesn't sound great

FIA Formula 2
(139 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG