The online racing simulator
Quote from rsnake53 :I should post a replay of someone bumping me in a turn at Atlanta right as he/I lagged...

I don't understand how some people can't see the fact that you can't pass a person if they are side by side with another. In a situation like that, it's best to bump one ahead (preferably the one you predict will be faster) then follow them through and make a pass on him later.

Or you could bump one enough to make them decide to pass a car ahead of him, then use that to go the other direction and pass both in their confusion.

I've seen both pan out very well.

Is it not best to let them have a battle and not to ram either of them??

I just dont get how some people cant see the fact you shouldnt contact other cars!!! especially when they are in a battle for position

SD.
oh what a stupid thread and million posts too lol, after first few posts i got bored, but this
Quote from Memph1s :http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BjcypJoe6Gg

gave me some epic laugh, thanks Steffen for this one, it really is legendary

oh and nice to see Jonesy back \o/

btw bumpdrafting on roadtracks is bit gay, but meh if it's allowed why not
and yea I hate bumpdrafting in UF1, those cars are too light for that and some ppl don't realize that
Quote from SparkyDave :Is it not best to let them have a battle and not to ram either of them??

on the oval? At your expense? NO WAY If i can help the person in front of be pass the guy faster and...better yet, get me to go along with him you can bet I'll do it.

Quote from SparkyDave :I just dont get how some people cant see the fact you shouldnt contact other cars!!! especially when they are in a battle for position

If this was single seater racing I would completely agree. But if you are referring to touring cars and stock cars I wouldn't. Contact is a part of closed wheel racing...especially oval stock car racing.

It's an entirely different set of discipline and circumstance and it's unwise to compare the two imho. (i.e. the example I just showed you). I mean after all you wouldn't apply the same standards that you mentioned above to rallyX or CORR off road trucks. Just as well you shouldn't apply single seater standards to other different sets of disciplines.

Racing is racing but racing is vast and no one set of conduct will be able to apply to all forms of racing. Unless your talking about having good sportsmanship (i.e. no malicious contact as in pit maneuvers, squeezing or "schumacher" blocks), but good sportsmanship should be there in any sports or games regardless so I see that as a given
Quote from The Very End :Ever tried bumping with XFG? Sometimes it's a joy, but I dare you to lose the tail on that thing, jeez that can be hard to get straight again.

ever tried bumping with UF1, its like XFG but slower and funner. And you get past 180kmh

has anyone here tried bumping with the FXO or XFR? In both those cars its quite fun.
Quote from hansonator69 :ever tried bumping with UF1, its like XFG but slower and funner. And you get past 180kmh

has anyone here tried bumping with the FXO or XFR? In both those cars its quite fun.

Tried Uf1 on oval once, it was great til I got a slide, then it wasn't that great anymore hehe..

I have tried with any cars in LFS, but the hardes so far I think is either the XRT og FZR, the rest is a joy.. No wait, the MRT can be a pain in the ass, the back of the cars snaps / countersteer failure so easy.
Quote from lizardfolk :on the oval? At your expense? NO WAY If i can help the person in front of be pass the guy faster and...better yet, get me to go along with him you can bet I'll do it.

Are we talking about bumpdrafting only at the oval? seems if we are then thats ok as special rules seem to go hand in hand with oval racing.

Thread title just said bumpdrafting, video posted was BL1, maybe Im reading the post as I see them, but it seems to me that bumpdrafting is becoming the "norm" at most servers in most cars.

even this thread is giving new users the impression that bumping a car infront is acceptable, and I don't think on a "normal non-oval" race track that it is.

SD.
Quote from STF :i lold. You sure it`s not a wormhole?

Next time I break a control arm I'll tell my engineer it was a micro wormhole followed by subatomic wind.

Quote from SparkyDave :

even this thread is giving new users the impression that bumping a car infront is acceptable, and I don't think on a "normal non-oval" race track that it is.

It's acceptable if you know the guy you're bumping and that he's okay with a little bit of posturing. Your average racer will freak out over body contact. It's not a good way to introduce oneself.
Quote from The Very End :...but the hardes so far I think is either the XRT og FZR...

the XRT is hell after turn 2 especially because of that little drop for a split second which gets you loose.
And those bloody rounded bumpers of the FZR are woeful.
Tried bumping XRT on KY2 / K3 tracks or any other track for that matter? It's a fun challenge
Yes i have. I have also done XFG/KY2 bumping.

With improved damage modelling it will be a challenge to not lose front / back bumbers and damage the aero
Quote from lizardfolk :Contact is a part of closed wheel racing...

But not intentional contact. Which bumpdrafting is. IMO.
Quote from SparkyDave :Is it not best to let them have a battle and not to ram either of them??

I just dont get how some people cant see the fact you shouldnt contact other cars!!! especially when they are in a battle for position

SD.

Quote from SparkyDave :Are we talking about bumpdrafting only at the oval? seems if we are then thats ok as special rules seem to go hand in hand with oval racing.

Thread title just said bumpdrafting, video posted was BL1, maybe Im reading the post as I see them, but it seems to me that bumpdrafting is becoming the "norm" at most servers in most cars.

SD.

Indeed I think it's related almost exclusively to ovals. I was confused a few pages back as well.

On an oval, I've tried sitting back on not making contact with cars thinking things will pan out in a few laps. After 15-20 laps of playing follow the leader, toying with their rear bumper to let them know I want past, I tend to get impatient and bump one ahead of the other so I can make a clean pass on both of them one by one.

On a roadcourse, i've never even thought of bumping someone unless it was into the side of them when I refused to give any more room. When I'm on the inside of the turn, all the way up on the curbs, I don't think the other driver needs anymore room...
Quote from lizardfolk :The only thing that's unfair about bumpdrafting is that it takes two skilled drivers to do it ...

naw man, I saw an FM member, Welty, and some other guy do a 3-man draft while rotating positions, at times running 3 wide. I should have saved the replay, sorry I didn't, but that right there takes more skill then riding someone's bumper.

I do agree that it takes skill to bumpdraft, but not that it takes more skill then doing the 2-person draft-pass-draft method. I should have saved that 3 way draft they did, it was quite an amazing sight to behold, and not 1 of them touched at all, now that took some skill.
Quote from zeugnimod :But not intentional contact. Which bumpdrafting is. IMO.

Malicious and intentional contact are two different things (atleast in the cases of stockcar/touring cars
Quote from ATC Quicksilver :Do you think the irony of obzelites post is lost on him?

i fail to see the irony in trying to take sarcastic approach to calling someone an idiot. maybe you need something more direct?
Quote from obzelite :i fail to see the irony in trying to take sarcastic approach to calling someone an idiot. maybe you need something more direct?

You're an idiot.
Quote from Pablo Donoso :textbook definition of irony:

whining about other's supposed "whining", trying to make other's look stupid but ended up looking stupid due to a simple grammatical error. joking xD

well we didn't take long for the last bastion of rhetorical replies to be dragged out.

pointing out grammatical errors on teh internets is a bit cliché and sad.
Quote from ATC Quicksilver :You're an idiot.

well maybe you drive like you play cricket :P
Quote from obzelite :well maybe you drive like you play cricket :P

I don't think it's possible to drive that badly.
lol I'm pretty sure Michael Schumacher didn't play cricket either but he turned out to be among the best drivers of all time, & lmfao0o0o even more that you're blaming us for your vocabulary...

way to go champ.

What's cliche is that you've been here that many years and only decided to start posting now?
Quote from Pablo Donoso :lol I'm pretty sure Michael Schumacher didn't play cricket either but he turned out to be among the best drivers of all time, & lmfao0o0o even more that you're blaming us for your vocabulary...

way to go champ.

What's cliche is that you've been here that many years and only decided to start posting now?

well you're american so excused again for missing the dig hidden in the cricket jibe.
its not your fault.

i also fail to see how you can lyfao when there was nothing intrinsically funny about my post. your lack of wit and boring rhetoric is about the only humor here.
and i'm not to sure what is cliché about dropping in once in while to get some news and the odd post. maybe you need to look the word up, thats a cliché and ironic given my past post
if bump drafting is cheating is cheating, drafting is cheating too.

so no, it helps you and your mate. BUT the simple thing that can make it anoying is lag.
Quote from obzelite :well you're american so excused again for missing the dig hidden in the cricket jibe.

lmfao0o0o if that's what you call insults, it should be blatantly obvious what I'm laughing about, as indicated previously by not just 1 but several other's.

Truth of the matter is your choice of words is irrelevant to bump drafting which is what we were discussing before you showed up whining that we were the ones whining initially.

So far I haven't seen you say anything about bump drafting actually...
Lately I haven't seen many players online, let alone in the ovals. Is there something like a party going on we don't know about?!? xD even the bump drafters are like nowhere to be found...

It's all good though, gives me more track time to practice. Someone asked why do I drive so much on my own, and said I should get better @ drafting, not running solo. xD

I said I run solo more because the fastest driver doesn't have to draft once in the lead mostly, and you only get faster by driving more, tweak the setting a little, drive some more, tweak something else, drive even more.... etc.....

Each lap you run = experience, whether it's in a pack or just 1 person, but usually, I'm like all by myself in (FM) OvaL JuNkieS 3. Only around 1500 laps before I make it from Oval Lover to Oval Pro... yeeeeeeee

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG