The online racing simulator
Quote from SparkyDave :
Slightly OT: Another tactic Iv'e seen is when you go for a pass, get inside,side by side at apex, then the car on the outside does not give enough room for you to complete the pass, instead they turn into you on exit, I mean who exits a turn and stays on the inside of the track? anyone know what I mean?

I don't do a whole lot of online racing yet but if you're side by side at the apex the outside car will usually have the advantage going down the next straight. But, if they don't use up all the road to give you room that's pretty bad form, but what are you going to do, punch them? Personally if I'm side by side and remain so till the exit I'll just leave a little bit of margin on the exit in case he doesn't give me room.
Quote from NotAnIllusion :It's not the worst thing at all if you don't mind losing a bit of time in that one race While I certainly don't advocate brake testing and crashing into people who are doing something I don't like, if the "please don't make intentional contact with my car" bind and trying to move off the line to let off the gas don't work, one can expect to lose more time than they'd gain..

Sure, if the person don't get that hint I would say brake testing MIGHT, but just MIGHT be the thing to do. But that is the last action, since it in most cases will crash at least one of the drivers.
you have to be wheel to wheel if you're the inside car to control the line, if not, the outside car won't see you and wipe both cars out. I naver make passes in turns unless I really think I can make it to where they see me before they turn. Otherwise, I'll lift off and wait for a straight to draft and pass, it's safer and improves laptimes legit.
both of these takes teamwork and yes technically is a strategy, but 1 takes more skill then the other, it also gives you more experience the more you do it, doesn't damage either of the cars, lasts as many laps as there are to race, and really is much more fun & competetive...

... while the other lasts 10 laps max if both don't crash, isn't fair to other players or the ones doing it because they are cheating themselves, and it doesn't take any skill, just follow and bump, timing a pass isn't a factor since there IS NO PASSING in it.

I'll let you guys decide which is which.

I dissagreeeeee. In real life at least bump drafting takes as much skill as normal drafting/sling... It doesn't damage either car if done properly (if you forget things like engine heating) and can last as much time as you want. :P
This whole time I thought we were referring tintops, didn't think we were talking about single seaters. In tintops I'll do it if I know who I am doing it with, but with single seaters I won't simply because it's rather unrealistic (and somewhat dangerous even if possible).
lol it does do damage in real life tho, the Nascar shells are just CF, or fiberglass even, that most times the front faschia of the car is where the radiator is and in Nascars, especially, all they use is vinyl sticker to cover the radiator opening. They just take some vinyl off if it's overheating, or even add more if they need more downforce.

lol those vinyl strips are only a few mm's thick tho, when the 2 cars weighing 2,000 lbs each touch for example, that little vinyl strip can't protect the fiberglass shell / frame / radiator supports. It's not built like a tank, only the structure that surrounds the driver bro, the rest is minimal, for weight issues, and also safty issues, the car has to absorb some frontal impacts by collapsing to disperse the force of the hit. lol

We don't see it much on TV, but I've seen very light taps on the track that have bent the sub-frame structure. In infineon, it's all bumping the car ahead, there's nowhere to pass for a car that size. lol the guy was pissed, he was the owner of both cars, poor guy.

lol for the skills part, I dunno, I guess it takes skill yeah, no doubt there, but just flooring it on the guys bumper, don't gotta worry about timing a pass, making the pass safely, then staying in the racing line so they can also draft and pass.
But you do have to change your line in a corner, to prevent yourself from losing ground because of the ''dirty air'' and then get back on his butt to push him some more. Following a car that closely isn't easy . And for the damage part, well if you're doing it right, it shouldn't be any bang, it should just be sticking to him and then pushing him without necessarily bumping. It looks really cool when you see it in real life without any bump, just sticking.
I also belived we were talking tin tops here

Either way, I bump draft in the slowest S1 cars for the pure fun of it. I have done a lot of bump drafting with the open wheelers, but have stopped with it as people canot handle it well. But of course, every now and then it happens that I meet these that handle it, and I bump them for enjoyment, because it's fun - not really in thought of gaining time by it.
I personally wonder why more people (good drivers at least) don't bump draft more often. Everybody wants to just jump out and pass ASAP when it actually slows you down more than anything; tucking up behind the car in front of you is faster and will help catch the car further ahead. And no it isn't cheating; it's a commonly used tactic in real life racing.
Yeah, I wondering about the same when it comes to normal drafting. The best utilize of draft is to be close to them, get some distance in corner and then on straight svooooosh past them and put your car in front of the other so he can get great boost aswell. But the most common situation is that they draft a little, then they pass you slo-o-o-o-w and use all straight on that. Wait for perfect place to gain max speed, pull your car in front of the car behind, and let him pass on the inside but no need to go all up in the corner.. that's at least for me how I want teamwork drafting to be done.
Quote from Pablo Donoso :lol it does do damage in real life tho, the Nascar shells are just CF, or fiberglass even, that most times the front faschia of the car is where the radiator is and in Nascars, especially, all they use is vinyl sticker to cover the radiator opening. They just take some vinyl off if it's overheating, or even add more if they need more downforce.

lol those vinyl strips are only a few mm's thick tho, when the 2 cars weighing 2,000 lbs each touch for example, that little vinyl strip can't protect the fiberglass shell / frame / radiator supports. It's not built like a tank, only the structure that surrounds the driver bro, the rest is minimal, for weight issues, and also safty issues, the car has to absorb some frontal impacts by collapsing to disperse the force of the hit. lol

Probably true on the older cars, not so much on the COT. I have a COT nose in my basement (from racingmetal.com ). You can see the part where most of the air comes into the radiator is tucked back just above the splitter. You can even see the little tabs they have to pull the tape off quickly. The part of the grill that's on the surface of the nose is almost always taped shut on a COT.

I agree that the frame tubing isn't very thick between the body and the radiator (maybe 3/4"), but the radiator isn't flush with the nose of the car. For the nose to be dented back enough to affect the radiator, the damage would be pretty serious.
In the 2006-2007 spec cars (car of yesterday) they used to put more and thicker tubing in the front of the car for super speedways and/or short tracks to allow more physical use with less probability of damage.

I'm not sure about the current car though.
"Idiots whinging on forums" - societies loosers
whine me a new one
-
(The Very End) DELETED by The Very End
-
(Sueycide_FD) DELETED by Sueycide_FD
Do you think the irony of obzelites post is lost on him?
His post made no sence, read it several times but I canot make a meaning of it. I know he replies ironic to something, but I just fails finding any sence in it
Quote from obzelite :"Idiots whinging on forums" - societies loosers
whine me a new one

textbook definition of irony:

whining about other's supposed "whining", trying to make other's look stupid but ended up looking stupid due to a simple grammatical error. joking xD

rofl relax bro, we're not whining, t's just people discussing how an unfair advantage makes each of us feel, some are for it, other's are against it, but nobody here is whining, lol that's what you see in MySpace forums because half the time it's down for maintenance.

@ Tom, he always said "We're fixing it, DO NOT EMAIL ME, DEAL WITH IT." hahahaa, now I bet he knows what whining really is xD

Quote from Pablo Donoso :

rofl relax bro, we're not whining, t's just people discussing how an unfair advantage makes each of us feel, some are for it, other's are against it, but nobody here is whining, lol that's what you see in MySpace forums because half the time it's down for maintenance.

The only thing that's unfair about bumpdrafting is that it takes two skilled drivers to do it and not everybody comes in groups like CoRe :P

Seriously, most of the time I don't bump because each time I bump I loose it. Laugh all you want but if you can bump the car in front of you and not loose it yourself at any section of the track then I will applaud your skill. Each time I bump on the oval I'm usually sucked to the outside wall...it's just how the aero works. It's so much easier to get the draft and slingshot pass.

Its not as simple as slaming into the guy in front of you.

This is of course if we are talking about tin tops. With single seaters I don't bump in any circumstance

Contact is just a part of tin top racing. Specifically, stock cars and touring car racing. Bump drafting was created in touring car (well trucks but w/e) and it will continue to be a part of it. You can't apply single seater standards to it just like you can't apply single seater standards to rallycross or CORR.
I find bump drafting easy, but you need to take the bumps really carefully in the tin tops. A hard nudge + lag will give you your ride of your life!
Quote from The Very End :I find bump drafting easy, but you need to take the bumps really carefully in the tin tops. A hard nudge + lag will give you your ride of your life!

I've only truly bumped with the FO8, xrt and fzr.

Bumping with the FO8 was very easy for me. But the XRT was pretty tricky as it's so easy to loose it while bumping. It's timing the bump that's tricky and the car in front of you has to be smooth or else a wreck will ensue. You can't bump...nay...even nudge hard or else you'll loose it. I've ruined my own race before just because I was bumping too hard and being as how the XRT is so fricking unstable on the oval.....well....that was that. FZR is hell for bumping, and with the oval wall suddenly becoming a black hole that draws your car in like a vortex I wouldn't say it's easy or easier than standard draft and pass.

Of course this is all on the oval....

Love the way you express the car handling

When that is said, I agree. The XRT on oval behaves as well as my x in the bed. ... oh.. well nevermind about that, but point beeing, it's bad.
(and the x part is a joke, just for info for all you serious people)

Ever tried bumping with XFG? Sometimes it's a joy, but I dare you to lose the tail on that thing, jeez that can be hard to get straight again.
#99 - STF
Quote from lizardfolk :the oval wall suddenly becoming a black hole that draws your car in like a vortex

i lold. You sure it`s not a wormhole?
Quote from The Very End :I find bump drafting easy, but you need to take the bumps really carefully in the tin tops. A hard nudge + lag will give you your ride of your life!

I should post a replay of someone bumping me in a turn at Atlanta right as he/I lagged...

I don't understand how some people can't see the fact that you can't pass a person if they are side by side with another. In a situation like that, it's best to bump one ahead (preferably the one you predict will be faster) then follow them through and make a pass on him later.

Or you could bump one enough to make them decide to pass a car ahead of him, then use that to go the other direction and pass both in their confusion.

I've seen both pan out very well.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG