The online racing simulator
Americas Army 3
(37 posts, started )
Americas Army 3
Well...at first i was truly exited when i saw trailer and tried beta. Few bugs on beta but what the hell i thought, full release is just behind the door. Now i have it, hehe ...not working... and no it's not just me, everyone has, tons of bugs and crashes...i haven't completed even my first training because i couldn't do that. Even beta was much more stable...could it be steam what's causing it - i don't know, but atm i'm soo pissed of because of waisting 4 hours of my life for absolutely nothing though my hopes were high...shame!

just felt a need to complain somewhere
Steam is just a platform for downloading and playing games... it's just an applet launcher, with a friends interface built over it. I have heard other bad things about this so I'm sure you're not alone.
#4 - 5haz
Post release dissapointment increases proportionally to pre release hype.
well...considering i played beta, was working fine, as i said few bugs but i hoped by full release they'll be eliminated (reported myself few of them, hoping to ease their work).....BUT, when the game was released, all was messed up, most people couldn't even start the game (including me at first), there were tons of more bugs compared to beta, way to go release team... (thatswhy i love lfs :tilt
Steam can't cause a program to have errors as it only loads the files, it doesn't run them.

I have seen several games recently that work fine during the beta, but then the release version doesn't work correctly.

When Shadow Run (horrible game) hit shelves, it woulden't even start on most computers, it would just give people a blank screen. It took a few weeks for it to get completely sorted out.

Developers are depending on steam and other distrobution systems way to much for patching the problems after the game is released because they are in too much of a rush to get it shipped these days. Gone are the days of games being released in a stable and fully functioning state.
I can't create an account or login to my old one. I can't complete any training level without it plastering "YOU ARE FULL OF FAIL" all over my screen. I can't even play online, the only thing there is in the game, apart form the 4 or 5 training missions, that don't work.

I've heard of buggy games, but this is taking it a bit far. Big Rigs: Over the Road Racing sure is looking good right now :rolleyes:
Quote from DragonCommando :Steam can't cause a program to have errors as it only loads the files, it doesn't run them.

steam sure can take a good internet connection and make you fee like its a 56k modem, then take a perfectly working pc and lag the life out of it.

Steam = Fail... Fail = valve.

i hate each and every single steam worker/lover etc.

As for the game - its early days still, let them patch it upto date.
I've used steam for many years and apart from the occasional annoying update problem, it's been mainly fault free..

Infact if I could run all of my games from steam, I'd happily do so.. everything's in one folder, easy to find, easy to maintain, community centre, store and downloads all in one fairly easy to navigate client. Steam always downloads at my normal internet speed so I have no complaints..
I can't even get to the main menu.

Actually, that's a lie, I CAN, it just takes 4 or 5 tries.
I can get in pretty easily on Windows 7 RC1. I can't and won't play online though because I heard that the AA server was overloaded. It's pretty cool until you run into these problems:
  • No hud. It also means no radial menu so you cannot do certain actions like chose a 40mm smoke grenade. You also do not know when ammo runs out, how much HP you have, stamina, etc.
  • Cannot finish some types of training because of the above. Also, some types of training will fail you even with a good score because of server issues.
  • Mouse sometimes freezes but keyboard still works.
  • Crashes sometimes.
  • Minor graphics glitches.
...and so on. I still have some hope for it though because they are probably trying to resolve these issues right now. I'd give it a max of a week for improvement.

Edit: If you set Anti-Aliasing to Application-controlled in the Nvidia control panel, the hud shows up.
Steam is great, used it since release - i often get about 3mb/s downloads aswell so can't complain

AA3 on the other hand is a steaming pile of turd. Can't believe they didn't know the game would be popular. Surely they can see how many preloaded the damn thing???
and why did they use the crappy Unreal engine for it, i hate that engine its rubbish and really old.
It's always been on the unreal engine - easier for them to stick with what they know and use unreal 3
Quote :"I worked as a Dev at AA Emeryville for the last year and a half and I hope I can appeal to your rationality and common sense. I would like you to imagine trying to build a game with an impossible deadline, steadily declining workforce (via firings), A hiring freeze, constantly being fed misinformation, having the “higher ups” completely ignore your weekly plea for either A) more time, or B) more manpower, working a ton of unpaid overtime, pouring your heart and soul into a misadventure only to have the uniformed community scoff at you for uncontrollable variables….. RIGHT when you’ve just lost your job.

There are problems with the release beyond the devs control. In fact, the bureaucracy is so convoluted that you can’t even begin to imagine the breadth and scope of B.S. the devs had to deal with daily. in short, imagine being the subcontractor of a subcontractor of a contractor to the government. Sure Millions of dollars may have been poured into this project, but how much do you think made it to the actual DEV team, the people MAKING the game, after it was filtered by the bureaucracy?

I realize if you are a gamer, you rightly expect a game to work. period. But I would ask that you imagine for a second that you actually DON’T understand what it takes to make this particular game, and you really don’t understand the many obstacles that were placed in front of the Devs… in nerdy terms: A Kobiyashi maru.

What I would like you to understand is that the Devs did everything they could, worked a TON of unpaid overtime, put their time and passion into an un-winnable situation, and were effectively stabbed in the back. Many of these guys are my close friends, they have family to take care of, and overpriced rent to deal with. They just came off busting their butts for months, to be let go, without warning. Perhaps a little empathy is in order here.

Almost every multiplayer online game has problems upon release. These problems become exaggerated when a development team is kept in constant turmoil and paranoia via misinformation and a high rate of employee turnover. When the people you trust around you are being let go, it becomes difficult to emotionally invest yourself in the titanic sinking ship. Nonetheless, I can tell you the Devs STILL pushed themselves as hard as they could.

Furthermore, the problem with the game at this point, has everything to do with the authentication servers being slammed, A.K.A not a controllable variable by the Devs. Sure there are bugs, they WERE being fixed, and now you’ll be lucky to see any fixes in the near future.

For those of you who think Redstone arsenal will do a better job, well…. I won’t have to tell you that you’re sadly mistaken because you’ll see for yourself.

I’m not sure why i’ve felt compelled to write this when I’m sure it will get deleted, or even scoffed at further, but I hoped to let the fans know that we tried as hard as we could and are very bummed to see the fruits of our labor shoved at gamers like a heaping pile of crap."

Yeah, read it on a german newssite today. They fired the whole team and now the Army wants to develop the game by themselve... they did not hire even one of the original developers.
#18 - Woz
Sounds like I should hold off on AA3 for a bit. For those who have HL2 and want a great combat game try the Insurgency mod.. Great game.

I have very mixed feelings on Steam. It does have some good features, such as friends lists, chat, auto updates etc BUT its primary purpose is DRM. Anyone that denies this has their head in the sand.

Here is an example of the bad side... I purchased GTA IV in good faith believing my system was up to it. Could not get the game running no matter the settings/tweaks. Any attempt to ask about refunds resulting in my support questions being closed without answer. Attempts to re-open the questions got the same. No emails at all were answered on the subject. I was just stonewalled.

I thought about disputing the CC charges until I found that could result in my account being closed, hence all my Steam DRM controlled games being taken away from me.

Steam is DRM, in the same way LFS World is a DRM because you need to connect to really use the software. The key difference with Steam is there is a single point of failure for ALL your games. If something happens to Valve kiss your entire games list goodbye. But that would never happen right... lol
Quote from buedi :Yeah, read it on a german newssite today. They fired the whole team and now the Army wants to develop the game by themselve... they did not hire even one of the original developers.

if thats whats required then it must be done - Axl rose for example fired all of GNR then he made on of the best Prog rock albums of all time.

can they do a similar thing ??: they're alot of potential but weither they use it or not is a different matter.
Uhh.. I don't think that's how it's going to work in this case..

And Are you talking about the last album Axl released? Because that one sucked.... Big time..
It's because the authentication servers were overloaded, they weren't expecting this many people to play.
Well now that the Dev's left they should have no reason to expect anyone to play.
Quote from theirishnoob :if thats whats required then it must be done - Axl rose for example fired all of GNR then he made on of the best Prog rock albums of all time.

Judging by what I could read on the news and on other sites in the net (also here), it sounds more like the game is full of bugs because firing the team was planned ahead by the Army / Government. They fired people, didn´t hire new ones and had deadlines no one could fullfil. It looks like the Army wanted to have a "finished" Game ASAP, so they can get rid of all the employees like a pickle on their a*se.

I don´t get the point in releasing a buggy game, just that it´s released. And then 1 Minute later tell the people that you now have your own developers to create games. I´d expect the next game to be buggy as hell two. Development ov AA3 costed to much money, why not finish it properly? But you never understand bureaucracy

And it really doesn´t matter... it was / is a free game and I rarely played it (AA 1 for maybe 1 hour or so). So I don´t really care about the game. But what I don´t like is how they treated the developers.
Also the game has only one purpose. Recruiting young men / women for the Army. Maybe this is why the game is rated 13+. How sick is that? They´re not allowed to see a naked woman, but make them ready for the Army... I should (and will) stop here. It´s getting really OT now, sorry.

Treating employees like that happens all the time in Business and it´s sad that sometimes people are treated like fatstock.
Quote from buedi :Judging by what I could read on the news and on other sites in the net (also here), it sounds more like the game is full of bugs because firing the team was planned ahead by the Army / Government. They fired people, didn´t hire new ones and had deadlines no one could fullfil. It looks like the Army wanted to have a "finished" Game ASAP, so they can get rid of all the employees like a pickle on their a*se.

I don´t get the point in releasing a buggy game, just that it´s released. And then 1 Minute later tell the people that you now have your own developers to create games. I´d expect the next game to be buggy as hell two. Development ov AA3 costed to much money, why not finish it properly? But you never understand bureaucracy

And it really doesn´t matter... it was / is a free game and I rarely played it (AA 1 for maybe 1 hour or so). So I don´t really care about the game. But what I don´t like is how they treated the developers.
Also the game has only one purpose. Recruiting young men / women for the Army. Maybe this is why the game is rated 13+. How sick is that? They´re not allowed to see a naked woman, but make them ready for the Army... I should (and will) stop here. It´s getting really OT now, sorry.

Treating employees like that happens all the time in Business and it´s sad that sometimes people are treated like fatstock.

The developers were put under a ton of stress to get the game finished in such a short timespan, and they were underpaid. And a day after release, they were all fired. Also, it's the fault of the Army (the ones pressuring the developers) for not putting the game download on multiple locations such as filefront, rapidshare, etc. This game is used as a recruting (or propaganda) tool, so they cut down on the gore to suit teens near recruting age, which is around 15-17. The U.S. Army admitted to this themselves.
-
(Electrik Kar) DELETED by Electrik Kar
It actually works for me. Tis awsome although they need single player missions after training.

Americas Army 3
(37 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG