The online racing simulator
Woah, just read it, seems really good, canntt waiiit!!!!
These few cars seem good too

2010 Fiat 500, Abarth SS, the 2009 Alfa Romeo Brera Ti, the 2008 Volkswagen Scirocco GT , and the Mazda MX Roadster.

And Forza Motorsport 3 ships in North America on October 27 and in Europe on October 3 (lucky bastards). Everyone says its the 23rd, but i read that microsoft confirmed it for the 3rd?
No, its a misprint, it was confirmed on the official forza forums to be 23rd.
Oh ok thanks, atleast we still get it early
This is a representation of the type of events.

Notice how is says "Coupe road test 3", I think this is an indication of how the dynamic career names events from the same blueprint, in different careers.
Attached images
forza-motorsport-3-20090729031049060.jpg
This'll be the first game I'll buy since I bought GTA IV last year (I also got L&D but that was DLC so I don't count that as a proper game). Looking forward to it!

The way I understand it is that you can just follow the dynamic carreer and let the game suggest races and events for you based on your owned cars/your likings etc etc..., but you can also just bring up a list of all events and see which ones you've done and just manually select one you haven't done yet
Quote from obsolum :but you can also just bring up a list of all events and see which ones you've done and just manually select one you haven't done yet

That has been mentioned, but at the moment, its not confirmed.
As we told you yesterday, your season calendar fills in dynamically, but there are a series of weekend races that don't change. There are six "standard seasons" in Forza 3, meaning that there are six full seasons with these specific weekend championships. Each season gets longer and harder as, hopefully, you also get better. By the end of the six season, you'll have completed 55 events (some with more than 10 races!), reached level 50, earned all of your gift cars and spent about 60 hours racing. But it's not over. There are still more than 150 unique events to race. And though the weekend championships won't be any different, there's hundreds of hours left if you want to truly complete Forza 3.

Remember that the AI, which looks at the cars you owned, the cars you drive and the tracks you race, determines the majority of events in your first six seasons. If you ignore Drag Racing events, eventually they go away. After all, why offer something you don't want to race? If you stuck with American cars the entire time, there are going to be a number of European and Japanese racing challenges ahead of you once you finish your sixth season. Though you might have mastered all the championships, by the end of season six, you're only a third of the way through Forza 3.

It's like Bullit's famous chase scene, but without cool cars.At any time, you can ignore the season calendar and bring up a master grid of all 220 events. This grid is very similar to the career mode in Forza 2. It lists every open race and, at any time, you can race those. These also feed into the dynamic calendar, because, after all, they are races you're choosing. Never worry that you're going to miss something in Forza 3. There is always an option to break free of the dynamic calendar and race any event for which you're qualified.
That answers my worry about missing events. It seems Turn 10 have thought of everything.
Quote from Greboth :That answers my worry about missing events. It seems Turn 10 have thought of everything.

You know what?, it really, really does.

I was a little concerned they were trying to make FM3 jack of all trades, master of none, but the more and more information they release, the more and more this is sounding like an very, very complete "everyman" racing sim/game.

I just hope that actual product lives up to the MOOOOHASIVE hype!
Quote from danowat :I just hope that actual product lives up to the MOOOOHASIVE hype!

Hmmm I think it will, while we are getting excited over the prospect of FM3 the classic lfs patch (z0Mg they might include this) isn't happening so we are just hyped over what they are offering. Only about 3 months to go though
Tuning has been made about as deep as possible. Where Forza 2 never really punished you for poorly tuning your car, that's not the case in Forza 3. You can, in fact, tune your car incorrectly for the track you're racing. The more you fiddle, the deeper you go into the tuning, the more you're going to need to know about cars. There are plenty of helpful hints along the way, but in order to allow master tuners the joy of rigging out a car to its optimal settings, consequences had to be added.
Part 2 : http://uk.xbox360.ign.com/articles/100/1009381p1.html

Edit : Lol, sorry dan, didnt see you already posted the below..

Just some snippets..

Where Forza 2 never really punished you for poorly tuning your car, that's not the case in Forza 3. You can, in fact, tune your car incorrectly for the track you're racing.

This is still a game about collecting cars. Sure, you get 50 gift cars, but there are more than 400 total in the game. Most you will have to buy. Here's the crazy part -- all 400+ are unlocked from the beginning. If you have the credits, you can buy any car in the game at any time.
Seriously This is not good I want this game now.

On a more sensible note: The more I read the more it is shaping up to being an absolutely mind blowing game in everything it offers. I do like that all the cars are unlocked at the beginning, it annoyed me at times in FM2 having to do a race to unlock a car so I could win/unlock it.

The painting im sure will be similar if not the same as FM2, though does anyone know if you can take your designs across? I made a couple nice ones in FM2 would be a shame too loose them.

The tuning is what interests me the most though, how are they going to implement that and make it work? Instead of just adding a turbo, are we going to have to buy a new stronger crank, rods, pistons first? then only low boost until we can afford an intercooler, larger injectors etc.? Along those lines though would be easy to get your head round, from what it says in the article though it makes it sound deeper than that. Maybe you get the same options for every car and you have to pick. So 20 turbos from small to big so you can choose small turbo coming in at low revs with less power or a huge turbo giving monster turbo lag but more power.
I wonder if the "175 upgrades" is 175 per car?.

The scope for upgrade potential in FM2 was quite staggering, but FM3 has 50% more "things" to upgrade, one of these in now seperate engine and transmission installations (you could change the engines in FM2, but it was a complete engine and transmission transplant).

I have no idea the rest of them, its possible that there is more indepth technical tuning on the cards, who knows.

Been reading about the manual clutch simulation, and the way you can damage transmission too.
I have been trying to work out the 175 upgrades/50% more then FM2.

FM2 had about 8 - 10 things to upgrade (can't remember) each one had 3 things which gives 24 - 30 upgrades. Yet if you take it for all the cars in FM2 thats thousands. So i can't figure it out

Edit: I was being stupid and thinking thinking purely engine. If you include drivetrain, wheels, tires, interior, new bumpers then the 175 has to be per car.
You also have to remember that you can upgrade any car to full race car with Rxxx PI like it was said earlier. So I'd imagine there will be a lot of parts to install and stuff to weak, I think adjustable turbo pressure was mentioned some time ago as a new feature.
Quote from Blackout :You also have to remember that you can upgrade any car to full race car with Rxxx PI like it was said earlier. So I'd imagine there will be a lot of parts to install and stuff to weak, I think adjustable turbo pressure was mentioned some time ago as a new feature.

That would be interesting then, if you can vary things like pressure. Though raises question if you turn it up too high will you damage your engine? You could damage your engine in FM" over revving it so I hope it will be more complete in FM3.
Quote from danowat :I wonder if the "175 upgrades" is 175 per car?.

The scope for upgrade potential in FM2 was quite staggering, but FM3 has 50% more "things" to upgrade, one of these in now seperate engine and transmission installations (you could change the engines in FM2, but it was a complete engine and transmission transplant).

I have no idea the rest of them, its possible that there is more indepth technical tuning on the cards, who knows.

Hopefully, I could never quite get my rear wheel drive Ford Focus sleeper car to do anything other than wheel spin through the gears. It did look hilarious drifting alongside all the exotic Japanese cars with fancy paintjobs though.
Quote from Greboth :That would be interesting then, if you can vary things like pressure. Though raises question if you turn it up too high will you damage your engine? You could damage your engine in FM" over revving it so I hope it will be more complete in FM3.

I'd imagine that if you can damage your gear box changing the gears badly like Dan said, it should be possible to damage the engine too. They said there is a penalty for bad tuning...
Quote from danowat :You know what?, it really, really does.

I was a little concerned they were trying to make FM3 jack of all trades, master of none, but the more and more information they release, the more and more this is sounding like an very, very complete "everyman" racing sim/game.

I just hope that actual product lives up to the MOOOOHASIVE hype!

So far the only thing I'm actually disappointed by is the cockpit view. It's just so close to the windshield...

But other than that, this game is looking incredibly promising.
I will go out on a limb and say that Forza 3 will be the sim that finally makes me give up on PC racing sims. I've kinda gotten tired of LFS, I can't bring myself to like GTL/GT2 (even though I've tried and tried!), and I refuse to pay a subscription fee to race (iRacing).

None of the past console sims has been good enough - mostly due to lacking damage and not having a cockpit view. It looks like Forza 3 is going to change all that. Cockpit view? Check. Damage? Check. Tons of awesome cars? Check. Real world tracks? Check. As long as the physics are at least as good as Forza 2 or the Gran Turismo games, I think LFS is a thing of the past for me.

In fact, I ordered my new Fanatec wheel yesterday. Hopefully it'll arrive before I'm old and gray.
I got a sneaking suspicion that Turn10 have taken a good long look at LFS for inspiration for the driving mechanics, LFS has a deformable tyre model (essentailly one of it's USP's), Forza 3 has the same, LFS has mechanical gearbox / clutch damage and manual clutch, Forza 3 has it.

As far as I can see, the only black mark(s) Forza has is in its lack of drivers in multiplayer, and possible trying to make it too accessable.

The physics are going to be better than FM2, you just have to look at the fact they have introduced a new deformable tyre model to see that.

You could almost think that this is going to be nearly all of the good bits of LFS, combined with 100 odd real world tracks, 400 odd cars, MASSIVE upgrade and tuning options.

I too was toying with the Fanatec wheel, not sure I can justify it without selling my G25, which, considering I never use it, maybe a good option..........

Quote :Before journeying to Turn 10 to play Forza 3, I spent a little time playing Forza 2. It's actually not that easy to remember precisely how a racing game controlled two years ago, so going back to the previous game was important. I have to say, after spending an hour with Forza 3's Career Mode, the change is noticeable. Forza's always controlled well and has been at the top of its game in terms of physics, but Forza 3 just feels better. Everything about it, from the subtle differences in handling from one car to the next to the sense of speed to the feeling of a connection with the road. Forza 3 is better. No doubt about it.

I would be seriously annoyed by the controller lag, as seen clearly in all the videos I've seen of console racing sims. (not just Forza) What is the cause of this??

Forza3 definitely seems to have a lot of good stuff. It will be interesting to see what the racing sim crowd (such as LFS players) think of it, as opposed to the gaming crowd (who might never have played a full simulation before). Reviews are mostly written by gamers (not simmers), so hearing what they have to say about realism/physics doesn't really tell me much..
Quote from IGN :Gran Turismo developer Polyphony Digital should pay attention. Turn 10 is doing some great things with Forza 3. Like releasing it.

Made me lol.

I didn't like the rewind button idea but as pointed out saves having to press restart so really it is the same. Looking good though, just need to wait for full indepth review.

Forza Motorsports 3
(3388 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG