The online racing simulator
The thread which spread the word.
#2 - JJ72
It is unimaginable nowadays that the earliest version of LFS were able to achieve such quick success, seeing it was very basic and minimal, and the tire physics was horrid!
and someone actually called the ai good
Maybe because of this?
Quote :on: August 18, 2002, 09:44:26 AM

Hehe I remember the excitement of first time I tried LFS demo. It was in '03 or '04 and I was like "OMFG! That's what I've waiting for my entire life!"

Then I tried to brake with XFG from 190km/h. When 'brake help' kicked-in, I lost control and died in accident I was like "OMFG! Highspeed braking on bumps aint easy! That's what I've waiting for my entire life!" etc. etc and so on

edit: Notice who owns the old Scawen's host...
Remember first time I saw LFS I kind of ignored the funky graphics (back in 03), when racing it it was a lot of fun, even if I did use keyboard at that time
Hmm. Anybody know what happened of Racing Legends?

The thread is a very nice find
#8 - BAMBO
Everyone who gets fed up waiting for the next LFS patch should be directed to that site, made to read the forum posts of the sad wraiths who still post there wondering if the game will get finished - and THEN tell them that Racing Legends was their 2nd attempt at writing a game - the first one got no further either.
Quote from Storm_Cloud :Everyone who gets fed up waiting for the next LFS patch should be directed to that site, made to read the forum posts of the sad wraiths who still post there wondering if the game will get finished - and THEN tell them that Racing Legends was their 2nd attempt at writing a game - the first one got no further either.

+1

Their "latest" news update is dated October 2003. :Kick_Can_
I'd say it's pretty much dead.

Independent game development isn't easy, especially complex race sims. (Not that I really know anything about game development of any sort.:shrug
On their site, it says of Live for speed:

Quote :Online Racing Simulator by Scawen Roberts & Eric Bailey. Vic van Vlaardingen. Soon to be non privateer :O)

I'm not sure what that last bit means!
Haha, this may be the very first time that the phrase "It'll be ready when it's ready" was used in relation to LFS

In the post of Karsten Borchers where he quotes (one of) the LFS devs.

EDIT: I also think it's interesting to see those reactions and compare them to the reactions we get here today. Back then I'm sure LFS was in a league all on its own, a real pioneer so to say, hence all those raving reactions. These days, though, there's a number of other sims out there that are quite matched to, or even ahead of LFS in certain aspects, and people expect a lot more now than they did 6 or 7 years ago. I can't help but smile when I see statements in that thread such as

Quote :I can't find anything wrong with the physics

or
Quote :the tyre model is absolutely perfect

omg, it is old, they think that a
P4 2.2a
G4 TI-4400 (30.30)
256 RD-Ram
SB-Live
Win-98 SE
DX-8.1

was a good rig.
Quote from pasibrzuch :No no no. Please go away with this to Let's get emo, there won't be tommorow thread.

This is positive nostalgia topic.

I was referring to Racing Legends being dead, not LFS. I have no problem with LFS development and I'm not worried about it.

I edited my post:
Quote from ultrataco :Racing Legends' "latest" news update is dated October 2003. :Kick_Can_
I'd say Racing Legends is pretty much dead.

Independent game development isn't easy, especially complex race sims. (Not that I really know anything about game development of any sort.:shrug

anybody willing to bet how long until the iraqi information min.... i mean todd shows up here to tell us all that racing legends is doing just fine?
first time i played LFS ( demo back in 05 ) i ditched it. came back when some kinks where worked out.
Quote from ultrataco :I was referring to Racing Legends being dead, not LFS. I have no problem with LFS development and I'm not worried about it.

Ok, it wasn't you actually. Someone pushed this topic to 'dead projects' discussion and it was going pretty well
Quote from pasibrzuch :Ok, it wasn't you actually. Someone pushed this topic to 'dead projects' discussion and it was going pretty well

oh, ok.

I discovered LFS sometime in 2004, but didn't really get into it much then because I didn't have a wheel and it was impossibly hard to just get a lap around blackwood without spinning out using the keyboard/mouse so I gave up.

It sat on my hard drive for a while until I decided to try again some time later and was able to get round without spinning out and lost interest again. Then I got a DFP (for gt4 mostly ). Then in 2006 I finally got S2, mostly for the autocross (which I hardly ever do anymore). (fwiw, I now have a G25. yay clutch! )
After seeing LFS in September, maybe even August, and being a bit turned off by the somewhat goofy cockpit graphics (low poly driver hands and arms stretching out from the screen), I finally downloaded LFS 0.1E on 7 October, 2002 after it was suggested to me by a fellow league racer in Motor City Online (MCO). Joystick in hand, I stormed off toward Blackwood's T1 in the GTi (now known as the XFG), that little 4-banger buzzing in my ears. I yanked hard to the right for the hairpin and... promptly slid off into the gravel. My jaw hit the floor.

MCO never felt the same.

On a side note, I was 17 years old and got my driver's license just 3 weeks after playing LFS for the first time. To say LFS has been a big part of my life would be a huge understatement. It's been the foundation upon which my interest in racing grew tremendously and ultimately led me to try racing in real life, only on 2 wheels instead of 4.
Give something to the man. He deserves it
I've got a slightly painful venereal disease. He can have that if he wants it.
Quote from Funnybear :I've got a slightly painful venereal disease. He can have that if he wants it.

Naw, i think your gf\bf got it first.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG