The online racing simulator
Racer or Footballer?
(68 posts, started )
Racer or Footballer?
Anyone knows who makes more effort or consumes more energy in their own sports? I know that racing but I need to prove it (to a friend).

Thanks
Quote from chanoman315 :Anyone knows who makes more effort or consumes more energy in their own sports? I know that racing but I need to prove it (to a friend).

Thanks

cross country ski racing ftw.
Professional masturbator.
-
(amp88) DELETED by amp88
I'd surmise that a motorcycle racer expends a lot more energy than a car racer.
As I understand it professional Football and Badminton players are the most athletic and expend the most energy. I guess it's just down to how many different muscles they use and the long periods of play without a break. That might be different if you take into account endurance events, but I don't really consider them to be in the same category.
I'd say rugby more than football personally.... But motorsport is physically demanding too....
#8 - CSU1
#9 - samjh
What sort of racing and what sort of football?
Shouldn't really matter. The energy burned by sitting still with minor arm and head movements is inevitably less than propelling your entire body around under it's own power.

I suspect on a mile for mile basis, rally driving would burn more than F1 simply because your more physically involved with the car, throwing it into corners and the like. But obviously it's shorter durations so it probably balances out. Bikes will likely burn more because you need to move your own weight around into the corners, but that might be slightly offset by the arm movements being smaller and no cockpit means less heat build up.
It should matter. Driving a production tin-top would be a lot less demanding than a gearbox superkart. Rallying isn't physically that demanding, the demand is more mental than physical.

I agree that football is more physically demanding than racing when considered generally. I can drive a kart for an hour without too much trouble. But a game of soccer -- even indoor soccer -- takes a greater toll.

In terms of energy per unit time, I think wrestling or some other type of grappling martial art or sport would probably be tops, along with swimming, and gymnastics.
Quote from samjh :In terms of energy per unit time...

I suspect that might be 100 meter dash. It only takes around 10 seconds but the runners are really spent after it.

But the question was "racer or footballer". And since even the most grueling type of racing (F1) takes less energy than football, I would say Chano hypothesis is utterly and completely busted. [/mythbusters]
**** Football.. for me F1 is way more demanding, because they need to be stronger than a footballer...
If the question is just "who uses more energy in an hour" between an F1 driver and a footballer then it's going to be the footballer. However, F1 drivers have to be as fit (if not fitter) than footballers because of the conditions they work in. They're in a hot environment (cockpit temperatures of 50-65 degrees Celsius), they're under constantly changing G loadings (up to 5 in braking, up to 4 in cornering) and they work for over an hour and a half at a time.
Quote from amp88 :If the question is just "who uses more energy in an hour" between an F1 driver and a footballer then it's going to be the footballer. However, F1 drivers have to be as fit (if not fitter) than footballers because of the conditions they work in. They're in a hot environment (cockpit temperatures of 50-65 degrees Celsius), they're under constantly changing G loadings (up to 5 in braking, up to 4 in cornering) and they work for over an hour and a half at a time.

that's the answer, who is fitter must be the question. Damn my english
Quote from Forbin :I'd surmise that a motorcycle racer expends a lot more energy than a car racer.

I'd definitely agree for the most part, but I wonder whether it still holds true comparing motorcycle racers and F1 drivers, just because of the huge g forces involved in something like F1.
It's been widely said that professional dirt bike riders are the most physically fit athletes. I recall watching an enduro event (might have been Dakar? Maybe Baja 1000) where it was said specifically that the bikers had to be more fit than a soccer player.
Stronger? Then it's still footballers. F1 racers are short and skinny. They're 165-175 cm tall and are on a heavy diet to keep their weight down. The only part physically stronger on a racer is their neck muscles.

Fitter? They both have to fit. But since a football match and a GP take roughly the same time and a footbaler uses twice as much energy during that time, then saying racers have to be more fit is kind of far fetched.

Tbh, it seems you're just changing the question so that you'd be right and you're still not. Next time say "oh yeah, I meant mental strength, damn my English". Then I could agree that it's the racer.
Well, Fitter... if im wrong okay, the word i was looking for was that one
Quote from chanoman315 :Anyone knows who makes more effort or consumes more energy in their own sports? I know that racing but I need to prove it (to a friend).

Thanks

Well firstly you need to start by defining which you want to measure.. Effort doesn't directly translate to calories burned. Powerlifters use more "effort" than pretty much any other sports person, but they don't burn nearly as many calories as other some other sports people do.

So first decide what you want to compare.

Footballers almost certainly need better cardio-respiritory fitness than any motorsport competitor because they are effectively doing a version of HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training). But they're weak, although motorsport competitors tend to be even weaker.

But then motorsport competitors tend to be in a harsher environment and require to have higher levels of mental concentration (and yes thinking hard does use up calories) so it's possible for them to require a different type of physical fitness. F1 drivers certainly spend a lot of time in the gym and doing cardio work.

However neither get anywhere near the level of fitness required by competitive Badmington players let alone Tour de France cyclists who are by far the fittest sports people on the planet.
Quote from gezmoor :Tour de France cyclists who are by far the fittest sports people on the planet.

Unfortunately, some arer "fitter" than others.
i remember hearing that most people, if exposed to the G's of an F1 race would carry bruises for at least 2 weeks. So the muscle that an F1 driver has is still gonna be a lot. just to stop the bruising.
#24 - DeKo
Quote from samjh :What sort of racing and what sort of football?

there only is 1 proper type of football, all that american and aussie rubbish is handegg.

Racer or Footballer?
(68 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG